Maybelline Define-A-Brow

4.2

Ethylhexyl Stearate, Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera) Wax, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Glycerides, Silica, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Methylparaben, Tocopherol, Tin Oxide, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Retinyl Palmitate, Propylparaben, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Ethylparaben, May Contain (+/-):, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), Mica, CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 75470 (Carmine) (Carmine), CI 77000 (Aluminum Powder), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride) (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens) (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green) (Chromium Hydroxide Green), CI 77400 (Copper Powder) (Bronze Powder), CI 77400 (Copper Powder), CI 77510 (Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide), CI 77742 (Manganese Violet) (Manganese Violet), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide) (Titanium Dioxide), FD&C Blue 1 (Blue 1 Lake), FD&C Yellow 5 Aluminum Lake (Yellow 5 Lake)

on 7/4/2011 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my first purchase on MUA recommendation. I just bought this product today and I can honestly say that it is love on first use. In all my 30+ years my brows have never looked this good. I bought the Dark Brown and Medium Brown because it was BOGO1/2 off and because the reviews here seemed to suggest the color may be dark so I wanted to test out both. Well, the reviews are right because although I have almost black-brown brows the Dark Brown is too dark. Med Brown, however, was perfect and a lot more like the Shu pencil I am replacing. The reviews also helped me be prepared - I swiveled up only the tiniest of amounts (you can barely see the tip) and this gave me perfect control to shape and fill in my brows without any breakage. I am keeping the dk brown for occasions when I may want a more dramatic look but the med brown will be perfect for everyday so if you have black/brown hairs and light skintone try the med brown for a natural look.

Update: Still loving this. I ended up returning the Dark Brown for Light Brown though. There is some red to the light brown (which is a nice deep medium brown really, not light at all) which works better for me as a base color with the Med Brown on top for additional darkening.

on 7/4/2011 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have always used eyebrow pencils before (NYC or Ulta brand) which would rip out my eyebrow hairs and look too a little too thick. This is a very skinny, hard crayon that doesn't drag/strip my eyebrow hairs and goes on in thin strokes. It sharpens itself, which is nice and there is great color selection. However, I have been told that this doesn't look very natural when I use it - too harsh. Also, it runs out abruptly - it suddenly just stops clicking and it is pretty impossible to know when it is almost gone. More than once I have done one eyebrow and then discovered the pencil was gone when I went to do the other. I have to replace it about once a month. Finally, I appreciate the little comb on the end - which I use for my mascara, not my brows.

on 6/17/2011 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this eyebrow pencil!!! I prefer this than the wet and wild. It is so precise lasts all day and most importantly it does not look fake!!!

on 6/13/2011 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Other reviewers have compared this pencil to MAC's, and rightly so. It has the same ease of use and staying power as the equivalent MAC product. I use the Dark Blonde/Light Brown colour, whose tone is somewhere in between MAC's Fling and Lingering. I would point out, though, that the MAC pencil consists of 0.09 grams--i.e. 90 milligrams--of product, and that the Maybelline product consists of 50 milligrams. Thus the Maybelline pencil is only a screaming deal if you get it on a good sale. (Or at least, this is the case in Canada, as the regular Shopper's Drug Mart Price for the Maybelline pencil is $9.)

I love this thing. I heard Maybelline Define-a-Brow is exactly the same as Mac's brow pencil but for a fraction of the cost, so I wouldn't even try it since it's more expensive. I find these pencils a lot easier to use than powders and even though I've been told that powder gives eyebrows a more "natural look" I don't notice much of a difference. Plus my brows are somewhat sparse so they're especially easy to use if you need to draw out your shape. This thing is definitely idiot proof.

on 6/6/2011 8:52:00 PM

I'm blonde and have semi-invisible eyebrows. This product is the best eyebrow definer I've ever tried. I have it in light blonde and it's awesome! Very easy to use, looks great and is cheap.

on 6/2/2011 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

The product alone I will give it 4 lippies, but adding up its low price ( I got mine for 4 dollars), I will rate it 5.
It has enough shades to pick up and mine is soft black. I use this eyebrow pencil to do a eyebrow base. and then I double with wet n wild eyebrow shadow to create a more natural looking. I just recently got this eyebrow pencil and I have very oil skin, especially in the summer. I have oils out very frequently all over my face, also including my eyebrows. I found that by using this eyebrow pencil as a base, my eyebrow stays longer, wont that easily smear off. like it!

on 6/2/2011 4:04:00 PM

this is an HG product for me. I didn't care for it at first, so I tucked it away and forgot about it. It got pulled out when I started my P10P and I've grown to love it. It defines my brows so easily, almost foolproof. its the most natural look for my brows. Will definately repurchase when I'm out (which isn't too far away).

on 6/2/2011 12:45:00 AM

I have blonde eyebrows and they are very fine. I have to draw my eyebrows from the arch to the end of the brow. This product was way to creamy it just smears off. Also figuring out what knob to twist was a good 5 minutes. The packaging seemed cheap and I did not like the comb at the end. I loved the thin tip that twists up though! so convenient.

on 5/16/2011 12:45:00 AM

This is the first and only eyebrow pencil I've ever used, and I am definitely not disappointed! I bought it in Dark Blonde/Light Brown. My eyebrows show way too many clumps of individual hairs normally, making me look kind of more like a guy, but this pencil looks completely natural with my hair colour and fills in all the gaps! You only need several brief, light strokes in the desired places to get the look you want, too, which is a timesaver. As I've seen so far, it's pretty good at staying put on my brows; not 24-hr by any means, but a good solid 8 hrs' wear at least, which is more or less all I need. My only issue is with price: it's pretty expensive, and for a university student on a tight budget, it goes a bit over the top.

However, if you have connections and can get yourself to a L'Oreal Warehouse Sale once a year, I'd stock up on this stuff!

Popular Brows Products