Maybelline Define-A-Brow

4.2

Ethylhexyl Stearate, Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera) Wax, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Glycerides, Silica, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Methylparaben, Tocopherol, Tin Oxide, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Retinyl Palmitate, Propylparaben, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Ethylparaben, May Contain (+/-):, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), Mica, CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 75470 (Carmine) (Carmine), CI 77000 (Aluminum Powder), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride) (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens) (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green) (Chromium Hydroxide Green), CI 77400 (Copper Powder) (Bronze Powder), CI 77400 (Copper Powder), CI 77510 (Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide), CI 77742 (Manganese Violet) (Manganese Violet), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide) (Titanium Dioxide), FD&C Blue 1 (Blue 1 Lake), FD&C Yellow 5 Aluminum Lake (Yellow 5 Lake)

on 7/11/2011 12:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I picked this up in Dark Blonde. I have dark hair and brows but they are very very sparse, so much so that if I use a dark brow product it looks weird. I am also very pale and the dark brows don't suit me. The dark blonde shade is perfect, gives me a full natural looking brow that is not too harsh. As other users have mentioned this is pretty much idiot proof. I have the worst, most difficult brows due to scarring and this applies so easily, it's soft, not sticky or waxy and doesn't clump up in my brow hair. It takes very little pressure to apply so use a light hand. I love the brush on the other end, very easy to use.
The only thing I don't like about this is that you get very little product for the money. I have only been using this a short while (maybe a month) and I need another. Would repurchase. This is certainly my fav brow product so far.

on 7/10/2011 12:18:00 PM

Thank you, MUA, for steering me to this gem. I prefer pencils for my brows, because I hate messing with waxes, powders and gels; my HGs have been Shu's pencil and Dior's Brow Styler. But I wanted something cheap to carry in my purse so I tried this, and to my surprise, I love it as much as my more expensive products. It reminds me a lot of MAC's pencil (except that it doesn't break as easily) and my Dior Styler. I can't see any reason to spend money on that when this does the same perfect job, so I'm a pretty happy girl right now.

on 7/6/2011 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

I found this on sale for 50% off at Kroger Grocery. I've been happy with Rimmel's but couldn't resist a sale. I like this quite a lot because the pencil is micro-thin, but sturdy which makes it perfect for creating light strokes within the eyebrow. The comb on the other end is nice and stiff yielding the hair wherever you need it to go, unlike the ones with brushes on the other end. The color is nice as well. I am NW40/NC45 and I use medium brown for a natural look. It doesn't change color with my oily skin, either. However, I've only been using it about a week and I have never had so many pimples in my eyebrows! I have at least 2-3 pimples in each brow. I'm not sure if this is causing them or not, since it is 98+ degree weather at the time I'm trying this. I'll stop using it for a bit and see.
UPDATE: I had to stop using this because I continue to break out in my brows when using this. I'm disappointed because I really liked it.

on 7/4/2011 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my first purchase on MUA recommendation. I just bought this product today and I can honestly say that it is love on first use. In all my 30+ years my brows have never looked this good. I bought the Dark Brown and Medium Brown because it was BOGO1/2 off and because the reviews here seemed to suggest the color may be dark so I wanted to test out both. Well, the reviews are right because although I have almost black-brown brows the Dark Brown is too dark. Med Brown, however, was perfect and a lot more like the Shu pencil I am replacing. The reviews also helped me be prepared - I swiveled up only the tiniest of amounts (you can barely see the tip) and this gave me perfect control to shape and fill in my brows without any breakage. I am keeping the dk brown for occasions when I may want a more dramatic look but the med brown will be perfect for everyday so if you have black/brown hairs and light skintone try the med brown for a natural look.

Update: Still loving this. I ended up returning the Dark Brown for Light Brown though. There is some red to the light brown (which is a nice deep medium brown really, not light at all) which works better for me as a base color with the Med Brown on top for additional darkening.

on 7/4/2011 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have always used eyebrow pencils before (NYC or Ulta brand) which would rip out my eyebrow hairs and look too a little too thick. This is a very skinny, hard crayon that doesn't drag/strip my eyebrow hairs and goes on in thin strokes. It sharpens itself, which is nice and there is great color selection. However, I have been told that this doesn't look very natural when I use it - too harsh. Also, it runs out abruptly - it suddenly just stops clicking and it is pretty impossible to know when it is almost gone. More than once I have done one eyebrow and then discovered the pencil was gone when I went to do the other. I have to replace it about once a month. Finally, I appreciate the little comb on the end - which I use for my mascara, not my brows.

on 6/17/2011 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this eyebrow pencil!!! I prefer this than the wet and wild. It is so precise lasts all day and most importantly it does not look fake!!!

on 6/13/2011 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Other reviewers have compared this pencil to MAC's, and rightly so. It has the same ease of use and staying power as the equivalent MAC product. I use the Dark Blonde/Light Brown colour, whose tone is somewhere in between MAC's Fling and Lingering. I would point out, though, that the MAC pencil consists of 0.09 grams--i.e. 90 milligrams--of product, and that the Maybelline product consists of 50 milligrams. Thus the Maybelline pencil is only a screaming deal if you get it on a good sale. (Or at least, this is the case in Canada, as the regular Shopper's Drug Mart Price for the Maybelline pencil is $9.)

I love this thing. I heard Maybelline Define-a-Brow is exactly the same as Mac's brow pencil but for a fraction of the cost, so I wouldn't even try it since it's more expensive. I find these pencils a lot easier to use than powders and even though I've been told that powder gives eyebrows a more "natural look" I don't notice much of a difference. Plus my brows are somewhat sparse so they're especially easy to use if you need to draw out your shape. This thing is definitely idiot proof.

on 6/6/2011 8:52:00 PM

I'm blonde and have semi-invisible eyebrows. This product is the best eyebrow definer I've ever tried. I have it in light blonde and it's awesome! Very easy to use, looks great and is cheap.

on 6/2/2011 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

The product alone I will give it 4 lippies, but adding up its low price ( I got mine for 4 dollars), I will rate it 5.
It has enough shades to pick up and mine is soft black. I use this eyebrow pencil to do a eyebrow base. and then I double with wet n wild eyebrow shadow to create a more natural looking. I just recently got this eyebrow pencil and I have very oil skin, especially in the summer. I have oils out very frequently all over my face, also including my eyebrows. I found that by using this eyebrow pencil as a base, my eyebrow stays longer, wont that easily smear off. like it!

Popular Brows Products