August 1, 2014 | 931 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2008 7:50:00 PM More reviews by Erie

My hair was thinning alot. When i took a shower there would be a big chunck of hair in the drain! I'm 26 and i knew i had to do something before i was bald as an eagle! So i started taking biotin about 3 months ago now! WOW is all i can say! I can see baby hairs coming in around the hairline! My hair also feel softer and thicker! Im so happy my hair is growing back in! As for my nails they never use to grow before, now they are thick and long! I will always take biotin!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2008 5:47:00 AM More reviews by pretty_please

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

My hair is growning longer and most of all behaving better. I used to have 2 or bad hair days each week (frizz, lack of volume and general hair assiness) but sine taking 600 mcgs of Biotin I have maybe 1 bad hair day a month if I try a new mousse or hairspray. My nails are growning much faster as well. Its been about 3 months and I saw resluts within a few weeks, I will continue to take this.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2008 12:24:00 AM More reviews by JettNY

Taking 5 mg (5,000 mcg) of biotin absolutely made my nails grow in stronger and my hair grow faster. I'd been using Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin and Nails formula on and off for years. It contains 3 mg if you take the 3 pills you are supposed to every day. I didn't commit to really taking the 3 pills, and therefore the daily 3 mg, until earlier this year. I started noticing hair growing more quickly and I had to pluck my eyebrows more often. I was also breaking out a little bit more, but didn't associate it with the increased biotin. When I ran out of Nature's Bounty I started taking a regular multi and Solgar's 5 mg biotin tablets. Hair continued to grow faster, my eyelashes looked thicker, I had to pluck my eyebrows more often, and my face started to break out like crazy. I finally made the connection and researched it and apparently biotin makes some- but not everyone - break out in large doses such as these. I quit taking the biotin two weeks ago and my skin's almost totally cleared up. I'll miss these strong nails, but I can't deal with breaking out!

So the deal is that large doses of biotin really do make for thicker hair and stronger nails, which is why I gave it two lippies. Unfortunately, for me and for some others, it also leads to bad breakouts.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2008 5:06:00 PM More reviews by PinkMargarita

This vitamin really does wonders for nails. I had been getting mine done for years and they were a wreck when I finally went back to my natural nails. I started taking two 5000mcg capsules of this a day a few months ago and my nails look great. They are growing fast and look naturally shiny. I have yet to notice much difference with my hair since taking this but I do already have long hair so it may just be harder for me to notice much change.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2008 5:41:00 AM More reviews by michelle1975

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

my hair started thinning in my mid 20's-and by 32 it was something that i was really sensitive about.the great gal that does my hair noticed how thin it was-and suggested biotin.It is ridiculously inexpensive-target has it in their vitamin aisle for $1.89! I take 2 pills a day-and noticed after a month it was growing fast-and when i went to see my derm(i had made an appointment 2 months prior because i wanted her to check my hair loss and she took some blood and was telling me the lab results) she looked at my scalp and told me i had alot of new growth-i know it was the biotin-there was nothing else but that it could have been.I am overjoyed-it will really make your hair grow fast-i have to trim my bangs all the time! I will continue to buy this and am elated with the results :)

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2007 5:14:00 PM More reviews by LovingMe830

I've been taking 5-10 MG's of Biotin a day since September. That is a high dose & I am definately getting GREAT results! My hair was shedding like crazy this summer & my Derm. reccomended I take Biotin. Now my hair has grown in thicker & the shedding/fallout has subsided. I plan to always take this amazing vitamin.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2007 4:35:00 PM More reviews by hapapower

I had been taking between 800-2400 mcg of biotin daily for the past two years, right after I noticed that my nails had developed this horrid tendency to peel in layers. No strengthening top coat or treatment seemed to do the trick. Then I started taking the biotin and noticed that the peeling decreased significantly. There was one time I decided to stop taking the biotin to see if it really made a difference, and the peeling returned full force, worse than before I started taking the supplements.

So I am convinced that biotin is the answer to healthier nails. They still peel, but at least they're manageable. I recently increased the dose to 5 mg but still have peeling. Of course, I have been at this dosage for only about 6 weeks and haven't been consistent due to my more hectic life recently. Hopefully with more consistency, I'll have more improvement on the peeling nails.

On another note, my hair has looked amazing recently. Full, soft, shiny, less breakage...perhaps from the biotin?

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2007 6:24:00 PM More reviews by lilybasset

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Biotin is nothing short of a miracle product. I got a horrible haircut last year and needed it to grow out ASAP. At the time DH was working for a vitamin store and told me I should take Biotin. I started taking 5,000 mcg per day and my haircut grew out enough to where it didn't look ridiculous in no time. My hair was literally growing an inch per month. My nails also grew faster and became harder, which stopped me from biting them since they were so hard it hurt my teeth. :o)

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2007 1:25:00 PM More reviews by jacie07

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Early last spring,for whatever reason, my normally strong,healthy nails began to peel off in layers. I thought this might be due to the renova I has just begun to use,so I started putting that on only with a q-tip to prevent any from getting near my nails. I discontinued all exfolients. I tried every nail hardener listed on MUA and everything in the stores. Nothing worked. By the end of summer,the whole top layer of my nails had peeled off to within less than 1/3 of an inch from the cuticle. The fragile thin nails underneath broke off,of course. It looked gross and was actually painful.Then I heard of this pill called Appearex which was supposed to work for nails. I looked it up online and discovered it is 2.5 mg of biotin, a B vitamin. It goes for anywhere from 25-30$ for a 12 week supply. Instead of ordering, I went to the health food store and found I could buy a bottle of 5 mg biotin ,160 capsules,for 6.99$ I started taking this daily in mid-September and the results are nothing less than amazing. My nails IMMEDIATELY stopped any new peeling. Two months later the damage is about 90% grown out. I would estimate my nails have grown about 50% faster than usual. This is especially noticeable since this time of year,when the cold, sets in,my nails become more brittle,dry and grow slower. So,for any of you out there,contending with problem nails, I suggest a visit to the health food store or vitamin aisle of your super market. There are no side effects reported with Biotin,its cheap and I'm having great results. When I feel confident that my nails have totally recovered, I plan to take the 5mg capsules every other day rather than every day,so my bottle will last even longer.

22 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No