Smashbox Photo Finish Light

3.4

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Triethanolamine, Decyl Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Oligopeptide-10

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

I got this as a sample and I've been using this for the past two days.
I apply this on the centre of my forehead, down my nose, chin, and on the apples of my cheeks. In total, I use a pea size amount - not even a pump I would estimate.
I'd apply this, and wait for 5 minutes for the primer to sink into my skin.
The feeling that I get after I've applied this is that my skin feels very smooth and semi matte. When compared to the Make Up Forever HD Primer, this leaves a more moisturizing feel to it, and both primers leave my skin semi-matte.
The consistency of it is a white cream - unlike the MUFE's HD primer, it is not a gel. The cream is very smooth.
So I've been using this for the past two days and the bottom line is that it keeps my foundation on. It controls my oils alright, but I do see some oils peaking through after 8 hours of wear, however, not enough for me to have to reapply powder. My foundation stays on, does not sheer out, and looks somewhat the same as it did when I first applied it early in the morning. Goes on a lot smoother than without primer.
Compared to MUFE HD primer, it's oil control is the same, and I like the consistency of the Smashbox primer more. However, it falls short compared to HG Mineral Veil primer. I also enjoy working with a creamy primer than the gel. However, the MUFE HD primer holds on my foundation a lot better. My foundation looks exactly the same after 12 hours of wear to when I first applied it.
As for the packaging - I like it. It's a pump therefore it is efficient and you're able to get the last drop. The price is OK seeing how it does do a job of what a good primer should do.
Unfortunately I will not repurchase this. I like the MUFE HD primer more and I'd rather spend my money on that primer instead of this because that MUFE primer does hold my foundation on a lot better than this one does.

I prefer this primer a lot more than MUFE HD primer as I have noticed some breakotus from the MUFE primer.
I also want to correct that, this primer does keep my face semi-matte. After 10 hrs of wear, I do not see too much oil peaking through. I like it very much, not too silicone-y, but still moisturizing at the same time. This works so much better than the Smashbox Primer Hydrating (blue) primer.

on 6/13/2010 4:07:00 PM

One of my friends highly recommended this product so I thought I would try it. I have oily skin and she told me it would help my makeup stay put all day. I do like the feel of it on my skin, however, it make me break out extrememly bad everytime I used it. Because of that I had to stop using this product.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have been wanting to try this primer for so long because of all the celebs that say they love it. I however found it not so amazing. I found that I had to apply a lot of it to get a good, even coverage. And it did not seem to make my makeup look fresh like I was expecting. It is very disappointing because this is really expensive - just not worth it for the little effect. The packaging is really smart the way it pushes up. I felt like I was getting every last drop of it out. I wish more makeup products were like that.

on 6/2/2010 12:55:00 AM

I have the .5oz sample size, which will last a while because a little goes a long way with this stuff.
I love how it doesn't feel oily when I put it on, it's not siliconey feeling like the original version of Photo Finish is. I like that it's more like a moisturizer.
It did keep oil at bay and kept my makeup on all day...which is what it's supposed to do.

only 4 lippies because of the price (almost $20 for a half an oz WTF!)
I will however repurchase the full size.

on 5/31/2010 7:28:00 PM

This did nothing for me. It didn't help control my oil at all. It feels smooth and all, like silicone, but my pores were still visible after I put on foundation.

on 5/26/2010 3:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I love this product! It is one of the best primer I have ever used. When I first used it I thought I would hate it and these are the reason:

- When I dispense one pump of the product on my had, it came out like a thick oily fluid and when I applied it on it was like dried (well it felt dried)

- It smelt of a strong caramel which I hate (I like old school make up smell)

- It seems abit thick on the face

All that combine I thought it was a bad product I thought it was going to make my skin break out soo badly.

To my suprise it was one of the best primer I ever used! Makeup stayed on soo well, my blush and foundation stayed on all day no need for touch up. How great was that?

I love the packagin for this product, it was soo easy to use, it came in a pump bottle. Living in Australia finding smashbox products is very hard and the prices are ridiculous, but in general, I though it was value for money!

Would I buy it again? Definitely

I see no difference between not wearing it and having it on. I was expecting this to make my makeup last longer on the oily parts of my skin but I saw no difference.

on 5/23/2010 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I didn't know until recently that Photo Finish came in a Light Oil Free version. It is wonderful! I work as a photographer, and spent the day in the sun shooting a wedding today. When I got in the car, much to my surprise, my makeup with still there! I've used it a few times this week, and today was the real test. I am pleased!

The regular version was definitely too heavy and oily for me, and caused a bit of a breakout. This version has been dreamy to say the least.

The pump bottle is extremely convenient, though the price is high... $44 at Pharmaprix in Quebec. Same price as Sephora, I do believe.

on 5/19/2010 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I don't understand all of the negative reviews on this because ever since I started using it several months ago I just can't go a day without using it. It really does what it is supposed to and I'm quite happy. As someone who has acne prone sensitive skin and has to powder her nose every hour it's been a lifesaver. It doesn't cause me to break out. It feels light on the skin, my pores look smaller, my makeup goes on and stays on (I only wear a little tinted moisturizer and some concealer if necessary), and best of all it really cuts down on shine and any greasy feeling on my face.

on 5/19/2010 1:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

I got this as part of a Smashbox kit, and was excited to try it. I have large pores, and rough skin, so I have always been on the hunt for the perfect primer to help smooth things out. This hunt was not a success. The packaging was fine in a tube, no real smell or anything. It has a thin silicone "slip" feel, but upon application to the skin does not seem to do anything to help fill in pores or even out the skin. While I know it will take a miracle for a product to make my skin look flawless, the price of this as an individual product ($16 I think), justifies my high expectations. This just created a slick layer that my foundation sat on top of. Not in a good way. The foundation was moving around all day, sliding on the slippery silicones. My Colorstay got up and went! I tried this with a mineral foundation, 3 or 4 other foundation, but came up with nothing but some new zits (I don't seem to do well with -cone products) and a lot of frustration. Pure Luxe Eraser is a far better product, though still silicone based. It is thick and actually works like spackle which is the whole point of primer! Even Monostat chafing gel is better than this!

Rotten product, would not recommend. They should be ashamed of what they provide for the money they charge.