January 25, 2015 | 939 users online

Mascara - Max Factor - Masterpiece Max

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 8/12/2007 12:10:00 PM More reviews by Ashz0r

good brush but the mascara itself, i find, goes very clumpy after a few coats..
I prefer chanels inimitable mascara as the brush is a similar design, and for £5 more, i'd say its well worth it!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2007 11:23:00 AM More reviews by katisha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Bought this as sort of an emergency mascara as my current one irritated my eyes and that means instant chucking out. It costs around AU$23 and the tube is absolutely hideous-looking.

However, it's what's inside that counts. ;) The colour is a lush, true black. It takes a while to dry like all non-tubey mascaras do on me (by 'tubey' I mean ones like Modelco Lashxtend and Blinc/Kiss Me mascaras that form a flexible tube of product around the lash). It layered beautifully, is reasonable at holding a curl and it does lengthen lashes heaps. I did one eye with the original Masterpiece and one eye with Max and this one clearly wins.

The brushes are pretty similar, I'd say this one is more similar to the Chanel Inimitable one than the original Masterpiece, since the bristles are a little longer and seem a bit more spaced apart. They also feel a bit softer, which is great for application.

Not sure about the flaking/how long it lasts/removal yet but I thought I'd share my thoughts on the formulation itself, which is great. I haven't gone for a low/mid end mascara for a while after experimenting with mid/high level mascaras and this one definitely competes with those twice its price.

ETA: Having used it for a little while now, I could be happier with the way it comes out of the tube. Way too much product comes out on the brush and unless you want to risk clumping or smearing onto your eyelid you might want to wipe the brush or try to remove the excess product back into the tube somehow. It seems a bit wasteful, I remember having the same problem with 2000 Calorie back around 2001, too much would come out onto the wand. It's probably an issue with the neck of the tube itself, not the formulation.

Regarding the actual gloop, it's very decent but flakes off a bit. I haven't had a mascara flake off during the first few weeks of use in a while. When it's finished, might go back to my beloved Modelco Lashxtend and see if I miss this. I'll certainly miss the length.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2007 1:30:00 PM More reviews by Yazmein

Like many others, I absolutely loved the original Masterpiece mascara so when I saw Masterpiece Max I thought "it has to be good!"....Sadly, I must say I was quite disappointed. The first thing i noticed about this mascara is that it clumps pretty bad (Att: Max Factor - Clumping does not equal 'Volume' nor 'Definition') and as another reveiwer mentioned it tends to straighten my lashes rather than give a natural shape. Not a good look. I can't believe Max Factor could screw up the formula that bad just by trying to add extra volume. You just can't beat the original. Will definately not buy this one again. I will reluctantly try to keep using this mascara untill i can bear it no longer, seeing as i paid quite a bit for it and hate to waste.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2007 10:50:00 PM More reviews by elisha244

I was hoping this would be Masterpiece but better... it wasn't. It gives really full black lashes, but unlike the orginal it makes my lashes really straight rather then curled. It also clumps, flakes and smudges. Great for dramatic lashes, but I couldn't deal with the flaking. It also made my eyes itch.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2007 4:25:00 PM More reviews by manmg2

I like this mascara, itís easy to apply and goes on clump free. It adds both volume and length to my lashes and really makes my eyes stand out. I normally wear 1 coat during the day which gives a nice natural finish, and 2/3 coats for the evening. I think itís a little bit expensive, but I would still purchase it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2007 6:21:00 PM More reviews by oooHUNTRESSooo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

i never thought i'd say this, but this is by far the best mascara i've ever had. after a week i can say that it is not dry, nor too wet, it doesn't clump, when i put only one layer, it looks subtle and natural, great for a week-day look, but after 3-4 layers, it's glamourous and gives a lot of definition and volume, without my lashes sticking together. it wouldn't harm if it were a bit cheaper, but that's okay, since the quality is sooo excellent

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2007 4:41:00 AM More reviews by sgordiz

I am torn between this and the L'oreal Telescopic as my all time faves.
This mascara is pretty amazing and a decent price too. It goes on nicely, lasts all day and gives lashes a long and voluminous look. Totally fluttery lashes in no time!!
My one and only complaint is that the brush is too big/fat and when I try to get the lashes in the outer corner, it can be a bit difficult.
Love this!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/26/2007 11:26:00 AM More reviews by dustyjane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Yuck! I hated this mascara so much that I had to replace it with a different mascara after two weeks. I've never done that before and it felt so wasteful but this mascara doesn't do anything for me. It clumps massively, looks cartoonishly fake and is a nightmare to apply. No matter how much I persevered I managed to splodge my upper eyelid every time I applied it.Absolute waste of money.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/17/2007 5:49:00 AM More reviews by Salome32

I tried the Masterpiece and I liked this mascare, so I thought that the MAX would be better. But I am dissappointed, it clumps after a few times I used it, it dries out. So I will not purchase it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2007 3:23:00 PM More reviews by Hanneke24

Woooohoooo, I LOVE this one! I was already really happy with the normal masterpiece, because it's so subtile and precise. But hey, the Max version really does EVERYTHING a mascara should do, in a very easy way! It ads a lot of color (black!!), without clumping, flaking, or other annoying aspects mascara's tend to have.