July 30, 2014 | 1475 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2008 2:10:00 AM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin so I would never use this on my face, but on my hair it's great. I bought a vat of it at Walmart for $9.98 which is not expensive considering the money I've blown on other hair treatments. Plus I can use this for cooking. I have butt-length hair that gets dry and frizzy, and this stuff is a god-send. I slather it into my hair and clamp it up for a while then take a shower and wash it out. Et voila: dream hair! Or sometime I just dab a little in my hands an run it through to leave in. Never would have tried it if it wasn't for MUA.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2008 8:40:00 PM More reviews by ladyoftheforest

I used to swear by coconut oil but now I'm not so sure. I have the Spectrum Organics Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil. I used it mainly as a facial moisturizer and it left my skin so nice and smooth and even brightened up the dark areas under my eyes. However, I recently got my eyebrows waxed, the esthetician took one quick look at my face and cried out "OMG, your pores are so clogged!" She asked me what I was using and then laughed saying "No wonder! Your skin is smooth, but look at your pores!" She showed me one of those pore-magnifying mirrors and what a fright! I immediately stopped using it and noticed that my skin does look a lot cleaner. I still have half a tub left, which I use on my legs after I shave and leaves them super smooth. I think I'm going to keep it away from my face for awhile, except for maybe when I get dry patches. So just keep an eye on your pores.

9 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2008 11:39:00 PM More reviews by Natashia

I bought it from an indian shop,and strangely the same oil was used for body / cooking. The scent is so fantastic , and does not make me hungry (cocoa makes me crave for chocolates). It sinks in / leaves a slight oily residue , no irritation on my sensitive skin, and makes me feel good knowing it is chemical free. Very cheap here, so I use it everywhere, hair and whole body.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2008 3:23:00 AM More reviews by wheat_thin636

I looooove coconut oil in a tub. It's about $10 for a 16 oz container at Whole Foods, and lasts a while. I have breakouts once in a while, and this can be used on face and body with no concern. It smells like toasted coconut, and softens my legs miraculously. On my face, it helps with rough patches, but the texture is melty and a little too liquidy. I prefer a thicker, less runny texture. It can be shiny, so not for daytime use on face. I also eat it from the tub sometimes because it's so tempting. It's multi-purpose - sometimes I put it in my hair before showering to condition.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/3/2008 6:23:00 PM More reviews by erindrennan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love coconut oil...can be used for so many things. I don't know about using it as a sunscreen though...I have read several different opposing opinions. However I do know, if you are looking for an oil that has sunscreen properties, red raspberry seed oil has an spf 28-50. I still wouldn't just use an oil as sunscreen though. However, it would make a great base moisturizer (red raspberry seed oil is VERY high in antioxidents) with SPF. Edit: still a great option but noticed it was drying my skin out. Boooo.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2008 5:08:00 PM More reviews by mollybloom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Actually, as a plain sunscreen, you are correct. As a base to a sunscreen, it is superb.

If you want to turn this into a stellar sunscreen that you actually lay out in the sun....try adding Sea Buckthorn Berry Oil. I haven't heard of the oil you discussed, but I'll look it up!

Sea Buckthorn will turn you orange in high doses, but it has amazing properties. I've extracted a bit about it here:

Bio-active substances in the oil from the seed and pulp are used in a variety of dermatological applications, among them anti-aging face creams and lotions and (since the extract seems to aborb UV rays) in sun care products.

My research indicates that products containing Sea Buckthorn Berry appear to promote cell tissue regeneration, thus aiding in the healing of wounds, and restoring skin tissue.

An international natural bath and beauty chain adds the plant's oil to its sunscreen products as both a sun-block and tan-enhancer. European cosmeticians sell anti-wrinkle creams made from Sea Buckthorn. (Please note, because of Sea Buckthorn's high level of betacarotene, the oil is a deep reddish orange and unless used in extremely weak dilutions can colour your skin. If you want a "bronzing oil" this is your choice!)

Clinical experiments in Shantow Tropical Disease Hospital and the Shanxi Pharmaceutical Research Institute indicate cosmetics containing Sea Buckthorn extracts can actually improve metabolism and retard skin maturation, thus slowing the aging process, possibly because of the effects of its high levels of Vitamins A and E.

Sea Buckthorn oil is said to have proven effective in the treatment of skin conditions including burns, skin ulcers, cancer, acne and dermatitis of various forms.

Russian cosmonauts use its oil for protection against radiation burns in space.

Current research indicates that not only does it enhance immune activity and disease resistance, but it also destroys harmful free radicals found in our bodies. Aubrey Organics, on their web page, state that Sea Buckthorn's high levels of Vitamin A and Vitamin E are the perfect free radical scavenger for your skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2008 9:00:00 PM More reviews by rjez

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

(edited Oct 2008)
On a whim I decided to try "virgin" coconut oil (instead of "extra virgin"). Boy, did I regret that! On the plus side, it melted easier, but I started breaking out.

Went back to "EXTRA virgin" and problems are solved. This is truly my HOLY GRAIL for removing makeup and washing my face. I can't believe it's so cheap and works so incredibly well. Sits next to products costing hundreds more.

Also reviewed under Lotions but I use primarily as a facial cleanser.

If you have dry or sensitive skin - this stuff is fantastic. I rub on my face to remove makeup, dirt, etc. and lay a warm wet cloth on my face. The heat pulls up dirt and oil, just like those expensive cleansing oils.

I have not had a breakout since using this!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2008 10:13:00 AM More reviews by bloomingiris

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I live in a tropical country (source of the coconuts, so I guess that makes it fresher?) and my extra virgin coconut oil comes in a pump bottle. It's warm here so it's in liquid form. =)

I first bought it because I read about how someone with keratosis pilaris (red bumps on arms and legs) had wonderful results after using the oil. I just returned from a super cold winter vacation then--my skin was covered in itchy bumps and flaking. So I got the oil from the pharmacy and used it every night (the smell was too much for me to use during the day). After 1 week, my skin went back to being baby soft! My keratosis pilaris also got better, but not completely cured because I got too lazy and didn't use it daily.

I still use it as a moisturizer at night some times when I'm not too lazy. The smell is quite nice, but a little too strong for my taste. It sinks into the skin quite well, but still leaves a film on my skin. I'd still buy it again and again though--cheap and good.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2008 10:14:00 PM More reviews by sakecat22

Huge fan of this technique. Does a fantastic job of getting rid of all mascara (even the waterproof stuff). Also smells wonderful. My skin looks so much better as a result of adding this to my skin care regimen as a makeup remover.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2008 9:44:00 AM More reviews by joiseygirl27

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I also reviewed this under 'Hair'. I bought a tub of it at the Vitamin Shoppe for $10. What you want is extra virgin coconut oil not the stuff in the cooking isle at the grocery store.
I scoop some of it into a coloring bottle with pointed tip (bought at Sallys), & microwave it at 30 sec intervals, for about a minute. I use 2 oz in liquid form for my mid back hair, I would only use 1 oz for shoulder length hair. Apply on dry hair, cover with plastic cap then let sit on for an hour or 2. Then I wash it out very well & use a regular conditioner. Coconut oil is the only oil that can penetrate the hair shaft, it is very moisturizing. I recommend.