Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 9/7/2010 2:26:00 AM

The coconut oil I use is not extra virgin but I assume it has similar benefits...I tried to use as a makeup remover. My skin felt very moisturized and soft but I broke out terribly straigt after. Now I use it as a body moisturizer. I must note that my body is in a bad state - I have patches of scabs of dry skin. While this oil moisturizes fine it is currently not enough to soothe my skin. Baby oil works a lot better right now. When my skin is averagely dry this oil is plenty...

What I don't like is that the oil hardens. You can still use it buy digging it out of the tub but then it does't melt evenly and while most of it has melted in my hand there still some cristalized pieces which fall out when you rub the oil on your legs for instance. I just find it harder to work with because I always have to pick up pieces not to stain my carpet.

EVCO is an amazing miracle - it has so many uses.

For cuts/scrapes, it speeds healing and takes away pain. It's much better than Neosporin.

As a hair conditioner, coat strands from 30 mintues to all night and wash out for wonderfully moisturized hair. Helps with static in the winter.

I use it to cut my Jergens naturals lotion. It would be a little too greasy on its own, but added to the Jergens makes a wonderful lotion that leaves me soft and helps with any redness. I think my decolette/chest area which has very delicate skin is also looking better.

At night it gloriously removes eye makeup and I also rub it on my face for about a minute or two before washing it off. Once a week, I add some granulated sugar to the EVCO and gently exfoliate my face before bed.

Wonderful for chapped, dry lips.

I buy it from Swansonvitamins online - I get their brand in a large, dark brown container for only $5.99. I'm already on my second tub and will have this as a permanent staple in my home.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

The EVCO I use is Garden of Life.It's 100% organic,non bleached pure,in a glass jar,which is better than plastic.A 16 oz jar of this cost me about $15...it may sound steep,but think of the money you will be saving...I've only used 1/4 of mine,which I use EVERYDAY,and I've had mine for over a year!

First,I wet my face,the towel dry lightly so my skin is damp,NOT totally dry (I believe the oil works best if your skin is damp.)I rub a bit in my palms and rub all over my face,lips too,once in the morning,and once before I go to bed.After I let the oil sit for a few minutes,I take a tissue and wipe it all off...that is how I clean my face!Afterwards,I put on my foundation,and it looks AWESOME!

Ladies,I turned 32 a few months ago,but when I TELL people how old,they are shocked! I don't have ANY lines on my face at all.I've been stopped by the cops speeding (they thought I was 16 until they saw my ID),a few times people thought I was 18,but mostly,people think I'm in my early to mid twenties,which is fine by me,LOL!

When I walk around with my 12 year old son,people think he's my little brother!And why?Because this is all I've been using to clean my face and moisturize for 3 years!Well,that and I eat VERY healthy and put ground flax seeds and flax seed oil in my smoothies!

I've never put it in my hair...I think that's fricken' sick.LOL!

on 6/3/2010 7:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

FOR HAIR: I have lots of fine, dry wavy/curly hair that needs moisture and gentle handling. I use EVCO as an overnight treatment on dry hair (wet strands prevent the oil from saturation - I read that somewhere in some highly technical article), using a couple drops and really smoothing it into ends and working it into mid-shaft. I found that 2 shampoos can still leave the ends feeling and looking a bit greasy, so I compensate with Oscar Blandi's dry shampoo (not the spray). One teeny, tiny so-little-you-almost-can't-see-it drop is perfect for taming flyaways and smoothing ends after styling. I've been using EVCO on my hair for a month and see a substantial difference - hair is shiny, smooth, incredibly soft, less breakage when combing, almost frizz-free, dullness is gone and overall, hair is easier to manage.

FACE: I have normal skin. I get a breakout every now and then but nothing major and I'm game to try anything. I stopped using jojoba oil a a pre cleanser and started using EVCO instead. I found EVCO works better - I use it as an eye makeup remover and honest to God, I think my lashes are growing. Neat.

Then I started using it as a moisturizer. I thought I was tricking myself into seeing the EVCO glow others mentioned, but my son looked at me the other morning when I was getting ready for work and said, "you look really pretty." I had nothing on my skin but EVCO, and was actually waiting for it to finish absorbing before using a primer. Awesome. The glow is unreal - it does exactly what I wanted Laura Mercier's illuminating tinted moisturizer to do - reflect light, minimizes imperfections, even out skin tone, etc. The EVCO makes me want to go bare faced and I am a foundation addict. I actually skipped liquid foundation twice this week and felt really good about it.

I haven't had any breakouts, and I've noticed my blackheads are shrinking. I'm not doing the heat/steam/EVCO thing, just using it as a precleanse, then with a drop mixed into my facial cleanser, and then as a moisturizer.

Last night I decided to see if jojoba oil had the same effect. Nope. No glow and in fact, I had to add more because it didn't have the same moisturizing effects as EVCO.

I stopped using anything else on my face - no more Caudalie, no eye creams, no serums, no more crap! The department stores are probably suffering a decline since I started using this, I was always searching for the next big thing in skin care.

BODY: I've been rubbing myself down with EVCO after every shower, and then got lazy the last couple days. My skin still feels amazing and moisturized. My skin feels silky-baby-soft and the keratosis pilaris on the backs of my arms are gone.

My son also has keratosis pilaris and his skin was looking great with just a couple applications but he actually doesn't like the smell of EVCO so he runs when he sees me coming with the jar. I'll have to bribe him.

My husband has feet that are incredibly dry ... he's tried OTC remedies and scrips from our Dr but nothing has worked permanently. Now I give him a little foot rub each evening and the difference is amazing. He's concerned it's a temporary fix but I remind him it's safer than anything else he's used and if he has to have a foot rub at night, what's the big deal?

DOG: Our dog has skin issues. I've tried everything on him, and nothing had worked. He scratches himself raw and now I rub him down with EVCO and I can see his coat growing in and the scratching has scaled back.

CAT: Our cat doesn't have any issues, but she likes to eat EVCO so I give her a little dab to snack on and rube the rest into her coat.

I haven't tried it for teeth whitening yet, but that's next on my list. I've been reading about oil pulling and I'm a little freaked about swishing EVCO in my mouth for 5 minutes nightly, but it's worth a shot. I drink coffee and diet soda and smoke, and hate shelling out $100+ for whitening treatments, so EVCO seems like a great alternative.

I paid $10.99 for my jar in the organic section of my grocery store, and it's worth every penny.

on 4/28/2010 9:13:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I can't believe I forgot to review this. I've been using EVCO for a few months now, since I starting using Henna on my hair (which I need a separate review for, as that is amazing too!). Using this as a weekly deep treatment has definitely helped strengthen my fragile, baby-fine hair, and lessened my scalp dryness this past winter. It also works incredibly well as an emergency make-up remover, though I don't use it often as I made my own cleansing oil blend specifically for that purpose.
I also use EVCO as a hand/cuticle moisturizer, and for my super dry legs. My skin sucks this stuff up like water, which, since there are no parabens, chemicals, or other types of preservatives, makes me not mind reapplying so much.
Overall, a certain rebuy, if only for use on my hair.

on 4/24/2010 11:48:00 PM

Love.
Hair: I'm working out the kinks of using this as a conditioning treatment, but I can tell you that for my curly/wavy hair it works great as a leave-in/defining product. I take a very, very small amount and apply to damp ends. When it dries, the curl is soft, shiny and bouncy.
Skin: Takes a while to sink in, but I usually just don't worry about it and throw my clothes on. It works so well for my keratosis pilaris, and it seems to even out my skin tone all over my body! It's so softening and it smells really nice.
Dog?: This is odd, but my dog was having issues with dandruff and extreme shedding. I tried giving him a massage once weekly with coconut oil and then washing with shampoo, in addition to giving him a little coconut oil supplement every day. (This is based on stuff I've read online, I didn't just start playing chemist with my puppy!) His shedding has gotten so much better, and his coat is shiny and no longer flakey. Also, his digestion is better!

My dog and I can finally share beauty products. What a happy, strange day.

on 4/3/2010 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

Well, I've used this in different ways: as a scalp moisturizer (but it's hard to wash out) and as a hand lotion and a body lotion and I like it okay.
So now I'm using it as a facial cleanser (what I do is at night I wet my face and then rub the CO on and then take my warm--not hot--wet washcloth and drape it over my face for a few moments and then pat my face. I might put on some Olive Oil if my skin feels dry). My acne is getting better and my face seems to be toned (that is, less red or splotchy). It's also less oily and seems more normal. My pores are also seeming smaller (because I don't think you can completely close pores once they've become enlarged and damaged as mine have but I could be wrong). I also find that my hands are softer after using this because I rub the excess oil on the backs of my hands.
I'll keep using it because it's only been a few days and sometimes it takes a while for skin to show signs (I think it takes 30 days for new skin to show or for a regeneration period...and most detox diets take about 30 days so it seems a good number of days to wait and see). I have no problems with it so I don't see why I shouldn't keep using it--it removes makeup better than Cetaphil and doesn't dry my skin out like every other cleanser/soap does. And I don't need to rinse my face afterwards and that's a time saver (yay).
I like the smell too. It makes me want to go to the beach (which could make you depressed if it's winter and you are flat broke haha). It'll last a long time and you can eat it! Haha!

on 3/29/2010 4:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

This is a wonder product and my relationship with it has become a love story! I have been reading about the virtues of virgin coconut oil for quite some time. Last week I finally got around to picking some up at Whole Foods. I have been using this in so many ways! First, I've been applying it to my hair when it's dry, just to add a little moisture to the strands. Apparently it's great for losing weight, and who doesn't want to be thinner? I drop a tsp amount into my daily smoothie. I use it as a pre-shampoo treatment, by coating my strands in it and letting it sit for atleast 45 minutes. A great method is to leave it on for 30 minutes without heat, then 15 minutes with heat. A warm towel around the head is best. Then I wash and condition as usual. It restores the life and moisture in my hair. I also slather this on my body sometimes to nourish and hydrate my skin after a shower. It leaves you so soft! It puts other body oils to shame. I will repurchase. Love that it's natural, that's a huge bonus in my book. I believe this set me back about $8 for a large jar and it should surely last me awhile.

on 3/19/2010 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I used this for my over processed hair. What a conditioner. My hair looked and felt amazing. Tastes great too. Will try on my skin next and update review.

on 3/5/2010 9:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This is a HG product for my hair. I have bonde hair that is long, colored, dries out easily and tends to frizz. After I take a shower, I rub a dime-size amount of coconut oil (a little goes a long way) between my hands and apply it to my damp hair, and especially my ends. Then I use a comb to make sure the coconut oil is spread through evenly. I always let my hair air dry in a braid or a messy bun, and when I take it out I get these beautiful, healthy, frizz-free waves and it looks like I have virgin hair again. I'm so glad that I don't have to bother with expensive sticky hair serums anymore. Coconut oil also works well as a body moisturizer (I wouldn't use it on my face because I am so acne-prone), excellent as an eye makeup remover, and has endless uses. A huge tub of it is relatively cheap too, and will last forever.