Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 1/21/2012 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

After a nightmarish experience with my usual eye cream that involved having to use a prescription steroid cream on my eyes for two weeks, I was desperate for a new, harmless yet effective eye cream. I had to use Vaseline for a few weeks after the Rx cream, and that was ok, but wanted something that absorbed better. I had some EVCO from a recipe I was making and thought "why not try this?" I have been using it every morning and evening for the last two years. I must say I cannot believe how fantastic it works for me. No irritation, no milia issues, cheap, absorbs nicely, works great under makeup, seems to condition lashes and brows, and best of all: has reduced my crow's feet very noticeably! What a find! I only use it as an eye cream and sometimes a lip balm, but I find it a bit too heavy for the rest of my face and body. Still, in a pinch, I'd use it anywhere...

on 1/17/2012 6:31:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I just don't understand why people like this product so much. I tried it on my hair, got greasiness. Tried it on my face skin, broke out. Tried it on my body, broke out. One that I am still dealing with after a month. If I use a lipstick with coconut oil in it, I get whiteheads around my lips. Wtf... the products that are always so amazing for people never work for me.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I wasn't going to write review for this because I would just be repeating all of the glowing reviews already here. However, I have a 4 month old baby girl. When she was a couple months old, her scalp peeled something awful. I would try using a comb to gently persuade the flakes out, but she has sensitive skin and the combing just made her scalp really, really red. I decided to slather her whole head in EVCO and waited for a couple hours before washing it out with Aveeno Baby shampoo. I was amazed with the results. Simply amazed. There have been absolutely no more flakes since using the EVCO just once. Her scalp wasn't red and her skin was soft and smooth. She sees a pediatric dermatologist for her sensitive skin and she said this would be wonderful as an everyday moisturizer for baby. My baby girl has soft, glowing baby skin and she smells good enough to eat :) Amazing product.

For reference, I use Nutiva Cold-Pressed Organic EVCO purchased at Whole Foods. It is unrefined and unbleached.

on 6/25/2011 4:22:00 PM

I do not use coconut oil as a face moisturizer; but it makes a fantastic eye MU remover. Jojoba oil was too greasy; I had to follow up with a cleanser or else my MU would not stick next morning.

Coconut oil seems to sink right into the skin; no greasiness at all.

My lashes have suffered quite a bit when I was using Sonya Kashuk Remove. They improved drastically once I started with coconut oil.

I also use it as a glosser for my curly hair. Keep in mind - you need a speck of it; or you will end up with a greaseball of a head.

I like use it for frying and making popcorn as well. Smells awesome.

Oh, and I buy mine in ab ethnic grocery store: $4.99/pound for organic oil from Philippines.

on 5/12/2011 3:05:00 PM

So I read a million reviews on EVCO and decided to try it as a facial cleanser. I am an esthetician who is a tad bit obsessed with trying new things out, so I was excited about it! I prob should have known, since I have oily skin, this may not have been the best idea, but who doesn't love coconut! :)
However, it did break me out like crazy. ESP after I slept in it. :( My skin has been through so many products, its not really sensitive and usually I don't break out, but this def threw me for a loop! I wouldn't suggest it for oily/acne prone skin, and I still wouldn't even suggest it every day for dry skin. It does make your makeup go on great, but I do think in the process, it also clogs your pores. At least if you're going to use it, don't forget to exfoliate twice a week and applying a mask once a week couldn't hurt either!

Now, I'm not being a complete negative nelly about this product! There are DEF some pro's to this! It is a great eye makeup remover and my lashes look amazing! I swear it made them grow and it makes your mascara go on a lot better! I take my eye makeup off with it at night, and apply it on my eyelids, lashes, and brows every day. It's great! Also, a great moisturizer for your body and it smells amazing! :)

on 5/9/2011 2:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Very nice, leaves my skin smooth and glowing.

I saw other reviewers mention a bad smell (vomit) and wondered what they were talking about- I only smelled fresh coconut. However, now that I've had my product for about 6 weeks, I'm starting to notice a smell. From now on, I'm going to keep the big jar in the fridge and take out small amounts for use. Other users must have gotten low quality/spoiled oil to begin with. So make sure you get extra virgin in a good quality brand!

UPDATE: Has started giving me milia and blackheads- UGH! ...knocking off a lippie for that- milia are a pain :( ... Will start trying the double cleanse method after I use it and see if that helps and update again.

UPDATE PART 2: Like it as a precleanse ONLY. Used as the only cleanser or a moisturizer, I find it clogs my pores. If I wash it after use (to remove makeup) with a normal cleanser, it works nicely. :)

on 5/3/2011 12:29:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I use coconut oil for practically everything but had never tried it as a pre-cleanser before until fairly recently. I've been using it for a while in replacement of my MAC cleanse off oil (was a little too expensive considering how quickly I went through it!) as a pre-cleanser before following up with my regular cleanser.

I warm the coconut oil between my hands and massage onto my face for 30-60 seconds. It takes all my eye makeup off (mascara, gel liner, eyeshadow) and melts my foundation off too. The bad point is that unlike regular cleansing oils, coconut oil leaves a film on the face which I can imagine is what causes some people to break out after using it, because they don't rinse it off properly. Using just water will not work - I have to use a foaming cleanser to remove the slippery coating it leaves on my face and massage that in for a good minute or so! But yes, defiantely make sure you follow up with a foaming cleanser or something so you get all that residue off and it doesn't clog your pores.

After that, my face is left sooooo soft, smooth and hydrated. My skin looks all plump and glowly :) Really great for removing makeup and adding some moisture to the skin. I have combo skin but it does not leave me greasy or oily at all. Better still - I've noticed a significant reduction in breakouts since using this. Good stuff.

A definate repurchase for me. Just make sure you get UNrefined virgin coconut oil and remove it all thoroughly!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I use this stuff in my hair, leave it in for at least 1 hour before I shower, or overnight. It makes my hair so soft and smooth.

on 4/20/2011 4:29:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

I love using Virgin Coconut Oil as a makeup remover, but I always follow up with a normal cleanser. This is the only makeup remover that I have used so far that has been able to take off my Estee Lauder Double Wear in 1 go, so naturally I love it!
When I use this as a moisturizer in the morning before my founation (and let it sink in for about 10 mins) my foundation applies so smoothly and evenly, and my skin looks so much better!The only downside is that you have to store it in the refrigerator, so making daily trips down to the kitchen to moisturize/remove makeup has to become part of your routine, but honestly it's no biggie.
Love this stuff, can't imagine not having it any more!

Edit: I much prefer olive oil as a moisturizer because it is lighter and has helped reduce the redness and the acne on my face. I am lowering this to a 4 because of that.

on 4/20/2011 2:18:00 PM

I do not use coconut oil for a cleanser at all. And the only reason I am giving it 5 lippies is because it is amazing at removing hair color which was the intention at the time. I figured instead of using something harsh to wash the color away I would condition the crap out of it. And it worked! I also used olive oil and of course sulfates to remove, but the results were great.