September 20, 2014 | 1703 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2009 1:24:00 AM More reviews by magentagreen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I want to thank the reviewer who recomended this as a mouth rinse. I'm doing this for over three weeks now and my teeth became so white! I couldn't believe my eyes at the beginning. It seemed too good to be true but it's not! Not sure if it's better than proffessional bleaching, but definitely better than whitening toothpastes. And so gentle and tastes great. Everyone should try this!

EDIT: I put this in the wrong section actually! Look for Unlisted Brand, Body Moisturizers, Extra virgin coconut oil, page 7 for the above mentioned review.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2009 1:47:00 PM More reviews by girlndocs

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

This one is a favorite of mine. It has such an extra special, light silky feel and the scent is so wonderful (yet unobtrusive).

Where virgin coconut oil really stands out for me is used in OCM. For some reason, cleansing with coconut oil loosens more comedones from my skin than any other oil. So, I always include it in the oil mixes I make for cleansing. (I didn't know lauric acid was an exfoliant, maybe that's why it does such a good job.)

Consuming enough fat is necessary for healthy skin and virgin coconut oil also tastes great in smoothies, used to saute mild-flavored foods, and substituted for part of the butter when baking.

Coconut oil is supposed to be extra good for hair, reducing protein loss from washing, but I've never personally found that it improves the texture or appearance of my hair used as a deep conditioner. When my hair was long, though, it was my favorite leave-in oil.

A previous reviewer mentioned that using coconut oil on her face messed up her makeup. This is a dead giveaway that she used way too much. Only a tiny droplet of any oil, smoothed onto damp skin, is necessary for moisturizing and it should be left to absorb before any makeup goes on.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2009 1:53:00 AM More reviews by cara4art

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Excellent multipurpose product! I use this as my only body moisturizer - the trick to get this to work best is to apply it to DAMP skin, so it will seal in moisture, leaving nice and soft. It also smoothes the skin over time due to the natural exfoliating effects of the lauric acid in it. I also use it in a 1 to 2 proportions in my own coconut oil-shea butter body balm that I also use on my face at night as my only night cream, and day cream if I am not wearing any makeup. Last but not least, my naturally-curly hair loves it! What I do is spritz the hair with some water, and scrunch in some coconut oil, working it through just like styling product, and leave it in overnight as an intense pre-shampoo conditioner. It has the added benefit of perking up drooping curls too, and it is very nourishing to the hair as it is one of the few oils that actually penetrate into the hair shaft, giving it some protein and nutrition. I will never be without this, and I get it cheap since my co-op has the Nutiva brand in their wet bulk area. Also great in smoothies and certain raw food desserts, since I do raw food too. EVCO is very popular amongst raw foodists for the reasons I've given above and used the same way too.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2009 5:14:00 PM More reviews by Mixtachic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is a household staple. I use it on my super-curly hair, as an after-shaving oil (my husband uses it as an actual shaving oil), all over my skin (every morning), as a facial cleanser/makeup remover (a wipedown with warm washcloth leaves my face really soft and clean), for cooking, conditioning my leather shoes and purses, as a hand lotion, as a healing/anti-scarring agent for cuts/scrapes, a little dab to keep zippers from sticking, the list goes on... once, while camping, I even stuck a wick in a jar of coconut oil and made a candle. Is there no end to the uses of this stuff? The reason coconut oil works so well is that is has really small molecules compared to other oils. This means that it gets absorbed more quickly and completely. The solid/semi-solid organic virgin coconut oil is the best to use because all the anti-oxidants and nutrients are still vital. Once coconut oil gets heated, it loses a lot of these.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2009 5:55:00 AM More reviews by bobbictx

I like coconut oil, but not as a cleanser, and since this is under cleansers, I'm only giving it a 2. As a moisturizer, it's great, but I tried taking my makeup off with this last night, and it did not work at all. It's not oily enough or thick enough to take off longwearing makeup. I ended up scrubbing so hard my skin was sore, and then I had to use a seperate cleaner to remove the makeup and the coconut oil.

Will continue to use as a moisturizer, but not a cleanser or MU remover.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2009 7:14:00 PM More reviews by loveorganics

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

this is an absolute hg! i've used it for years (unrefined virgin quality) to remove eye makeup and after dry skin brushing! i dryskin brush, then slather this from head to toe, steam in the shower, then remove very gently with a soft microfiber cloth. it's so natural, dirt cheap, and i also believe it encourages your eyelashes and eyebrows to grow. everyone should try it atleast once! be sure to get the unrefined one.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2008 9:28:00 PM More reviews by BRBGirl

This is the Holy Grail for my bleached out blonde hair.

I put it on dry hair, blow dry for a few minutes on high (careful not to fry it) and put in in a braid and sleep on it. It takes two washes, one all over really good and then just the front. I condition it and then style. It makes it soft with zero frizz. When I don't use it, it looks awful.

I use it on my face, on and off, it does help my with my breakouts but I use it on top of acne treatments and an anti-wrinkle cream. I use Natures first aid Acne oil and Aveda anti-wrinkle cream.

I tried something last night that I read about here:

rubbing the coconut oil on my face like a cleanser then wiping it off in the shower with a very warm washcloth. It really made my face clean.

I am going to try the microfiber clothes if I can remember to buy them too.

I use the organic, cold pressed unrefined oil. If I use the processed kind it does not work as well for me and it makes me break out instead of clearing. I also have KP on my arms and chest (oh god is it an ugly sight when I don't actively treat it.) It gets better with the Coconut oil and exfoliating treatments. The recent brand I bought that works awesome is Jungle, and I got it at whole foods. You can get the acne oil at whole foods too. I put the acne oil on first, then the coconut oil and then the anti-wrinkle cream. Works awesome.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2008 8:04:00 PM More reviews by phoenixjn

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This review is for the virgin coconut oil that you buy buy in the cooking section of Whole Foods. It makes the best body lotion ever! I searched years for a good body lotion. I actually spent 60$ on a body lotion once. This coconut oil out of the jar tops them all.

After reading great reviews fro it online I decided to try it as a body lotion. I was worried about it being greasy on my skin, but after about 5-10 minutes in completely soaks in and leaves my skin satiny smooth. It makes you think about all those other lotions you put on your skin, where do they go? I read that your body absorbs 30% of what you put on you skin, which is why medications work in patch form, so it pretty important that the ingrediants you put on your skin not be harmful. I really love that it's and all natural product, but it's also just darn effective. I will use it as my body lotion forever.

On my face though, not so good. I have very oily skin and while it worked wonderfully at first, over time I got some break outs. To bad! I think it might work well for a dryer skin type.

It's normal for it to be solid and white at room temprature it will turn liquid at about 80 degrees, that because it's a saturated fat. It works fine either way and will melt into you skin as you apply it. You can cook with it too, virgin coconut oil has many health benefits, just google it.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/9/2008 1:41:00 AM More reviews by jomia23

Great for cooking and hair/body conditioning. Worst thing ever for my acne prone skin.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2008 2:10:00 AM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin so I would never use this on my face, but on my hair it's great. I bought a vat of it at Walmart for $9.98 which is not expensive considering the money I've blown on other hair treatments. Plus I can use this for cooking. I have butt-length hair that gets dry and frizzy, and this stuff is a god-send. I slather it into my hair and clamp it up for a while then take a shower and wash it out. Et voila: dream hair! Or sometime I just dab a little in my hands an run it through to leave in. Never would have tried it if it wasn't for MUA.