October 25, 2014 | 917 users online

Sunscreen - Clarins - UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2005 7:29:00 PM More reviews by IlovePariswg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this product--the way it dries and it makes a wonderful make-up base with the UV 40 protection!!

Just wish there was a way to see how much is left?? Yes expensive but to have this much sun protection in a non-greasy product I feel it is worth it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2005 1:56:00 AM More reviews by Darkholmme

First note, to other reviews: is it really fair to mark down this product simply because you want people to use another one instead? If you want to give it a 1 or 2, please tell me why this is bad...not why something else is good. Rate roducts on their own merits!

That said, this is one of only TWO sunscreens that I can use on my face without causing either acne or sensitivity. (Unfortunately, both this, and the other--Shiseido's foundation w/ sunblock--are expensive!). I have extremely oily, extremely sensitive skin...and the combination makes skincare a hellish nightmare. This is whitish-colored (as with ALL titanium dioxide sunblocks, unless they are tinted), but it goes on clear. It dries very, very quickly--within a minute, my face is ready for foundation. In fact, it's so light and smooth that I sometimes get parnoid if I've put on enough.

I usually use this under a moisturizer (even in the hottest, most humid weather), since the "layer" underneath prevents me from having to use too much--at roughly $40 per one ounce bottle, this is pricy! I can't quite tell how much I've used, but it seems that the bottle will last about 3 months (using once a day, only on the face). The MA told me 6 months to a year...I really don't believe that. Still, 3 months is reasonable...and this has done an amazing job of keeping my skin clear and safe. I'm outside in the blazing Californian sun 12 hours a day,and despite regular spf 50 sunblock on my exposed arms and legs (NOT this product), I'm rather tanned. My face however, stays winter-pale thanks to Clarins UV plus protection. Not sure if that's a good thing, but it tells me that this works.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2005 5:40:00 AM More reviews by j66smith

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a great product for anyone who needs extra protection without the oily feeling. Its a great product to use on top of a moisturizer. Great for people with sensitive or acne prone skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2005 9:18:00 PM More reviews by summerykate

Love this stuff! I'm a sunscreen fanatic, but so many products are just heavy and shiny. I cannot deal with stickiness and oiliness on my face! Anyway, this is fabulously light and comfortable. It smells good, too, and does not bother my extremely pale, fairly sensitive skin. The only downsides are that it is terribly expensive ($36.50 for one ounce? ridiculous), and it does not protect as well, I'm assuming, as a sunscreen with Mexoryl. However, Mexoryl supposedly feels heavy and sticky. Anyway, I use this on my face and only my face -- not even on my neck -- because it's so expensive. I use Neutrogena 45 from the neck down. But this stuff is great, and pretty matte. I use a vitamin C serum underneath, so that gives me a bit of shine, and this is mattifying over it. You can also apply powder or blush soon after (instead of waiting a year until the stickiness subsides), as with other products).

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2005 12:56:00 AM More reviews by truffle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

right up there with shiseido's ultimate sun protection lotion spf 50 PA+++. dries to a matte, ALMOST imperceptible finish. but it's only for use in the city i.e. it's not suitable for beach use or any sort of water-sport. So for reviewers who have been misguided enough to use it for swimming and think they are protected...BIG OOPS! anyway, price-wise, shiseido's(which happens to be water-resistant)100 ml costs only slightly more than clarin's 30 ml. you do the math :D

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2005 8:03:00 PM More reviews by alliebeth

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

Rosaceans beware! This stuff made my rosacea flare up and my skin felt very tight and flushed-tingly. The mini sample bottle doesn't provide an ingredient list (I knew it had mineral UV protection, and that's it). When I went to the counter to see what was the ingred doing this to me, I found SD Alcohol (a drying alcohol) in the ingredients...one of the most common rosacea irritants out there.

I hate that this didn't work for me! A mineral sunscreen! SPF 40! Rosacea has a sick sense of humor.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2005 1:36:00 AM More reviews by crystallineteddy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

So this is where the reviews for this product are at, I posted it under another facial treatments or something because of the anti-oxidants. This is a new product from Clarins this summer. It protects face from the sun (SPF40) and environmental pollution. I normally don't use sunscreen of such a high SPF since I have combo/oily skin prone to breakouts. But I swim alot in the summer and I really don't want to end up with wrinkled skin in my 20's. This sunscreen is perfect! It is feather light, gives matte finish, goes great under foundation and did not give me any breakouts! Nice light scent. Though it's quite expensive for such a small bottle...Oh well, I'd rather pay $$ now than have dried up fish scale skin later...

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2005 12:36:00 AM More reviews by linda9968

I tried the sample of this sunscreen, loved it, returned to the store the next month to purchase and OUCH! The price is high - $36.50, although I purchased it anyway, as I really love this stuff. I live in the Rocky Mountains and need a good sunscreen for this altitude. It is easy to apply, non-greasy, and works. I have used this almost everyday since, alone and under foundation. Over the years, I have tried many different brands, most recently Clinique, but still tended to get too much sun on my nose and cheeks. The two best things about this sunscreen is the SPF 40 and it doesn’t break my face out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2005 8:03:00 PM More reviews by crystallineteddy

Glad to be the first review. This is a new product from Clarins this summer. It protects face from the sun (SPF40) and environmental pollution. I normally don't use sunscreen of such a high SPF since I have combo/oily skin prone to breakouts. But I swim alot in the summer and I really don't want to end up with wrinkled skin in my 20's. This sunscreen is perfect! It is feather light, gives matte finish, goes great under foundation and did not give me any breakouts! Nice light scent. Though it's quite expensive for such a small bottle...Oh well, I'd rather pay $$ now than have dried up fish scale skin later...

rated 2 of 5 on 5/22/2005 1:29:00 PM More reviews by Lukalove

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

While this is a good product, put it down and buy DHC's new Anti-wrinkle white sunscreen SPF 25 instead. It's the same exact thing and it's only $23 instead of Clarins' $36.50, which when you think about it, is absolutely ridiculous for 1.06 ounces. Plus DHC's sunscreen is on sale right now for just $17...(thru 6/30/05)you can't beat that! It comes in the same type bottle (it's 1 ounce)has the same feel and consistency, the same active ingredient; titanium dioxide, and also has zinc oxide. It also has vitamin E, alpha arbutin (for skin lightening) it IS NOT greasy AT ALL and goes on completely matte and invisible, your skin is ready for make-up. It is SPF 25 instead of Clarins 40 but from what I've read and been told once you get over SPF 15 it becomes redundant. I urge you to at least try DHC before shelling out $36.50 for the same thing in Clarins. Let me know what you think!