Clarins UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40

4.2

Active: Titanium Dioxide 8.1%; Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Corn Starch Modified, Alcohol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, PEG/PPG-20/15 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Maltodextrin Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Cucumis Melo (Melon) Fruit Extract, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Lapsana Communis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Butyl Phenyl Methylpropional, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool

on 7/10/2005 7:27:00 PM

I liked the idea of a nice, light sunscreen, and it felt OK going on. However, I've used a good-sized sample of this for about a week, and I have an all-over breakout happening, little tiny bumps all over my face. This type of breakout is really rare for me, so I have to conclude that it is something in the sunscreen. Also, the price was pretty prohibitive for the amount of product you get. I can say that I did not get sunburned on my face when using this, so the sunscreen part definitely works.

Final thoughts? I would not purchase this if you are breakout-prone.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

UV plus is the most amazing sunscreen I've ever worn. Leaves my skin matte but still silky smooth and soft, and there's no unpleasant odor (i hate the typical sunscren smell). But the price is ridiculous. I may buy it again, but I can't see myself routinely shelling out nearly $40 for 1 oz of sunscreen. Unless you're quite well-to-do, go with Neutrogena Dry-Touch instead. The quality is almost as good, but you'll get 3x the quantity for 1/4 the price.

on 7/2/2005 9:37:00 AM

Someone else criticized this product for not including a moisturizer. That's the whole point: It's customizable coverage. Many women have very oily skin and break out from moisturizing sunscreens. With this product, you can adjust your coverage based on the season, condition of your skin, etc.

Anyway, I love the finish (also use Bare Escentuals on top), love the antioxidants, and love the SPF 40. My only concern is that the packaging isn't specific about how *much* you need on your face to get the full coverage. Yeah, the reps at the counter say only three drops, but what do they know? Until very recently, they were telling women that broad-spectrum sunscreen wasn't even a skincare necessity. They say what they're told to say; they're not scientists.

I'd love to see something published by Clarins or even an independent researcher like Paula Begoun. I'm always a little, maybe irrationally worried that this sunscreen isn't protecting me at all. :-/

on 6/27/2005 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I LOVE this product--the way it dries and it makes a wonderful make-up base with the UV 40 protection!!

Just wish there was a way to see how much is left?? Yes expensive but to have this much sun protection in a non-greasy product I feel it is worth it!!

on 6/27/2005 1:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

First note, to other reviews: is it really fair to mark down this product simply because you want people to use another one instead? If you want to give it a 1 or 2, please tell me why this is bad...not why something else is good. Rate roducts on their own merits!

That said, this is one of only TWO sunscreens that I can use on my face without causing either acne or sensitivity. (Unfortunately, both this, and the other--Shiseido's foundation w/ sunblock--are expensive!). I have extremely oily, extremely sensitive skin...and the combination makes skincare a hellish nightmare. This is whitish-colored (as with ALL titanium dioxide sunblocks, unless they are tinted), but it goes on clear. It dries very, very quickly--within a minute, my face is ready for foundation. In fact, it's so light and smooth that I sometimes get parnoid if I've put on enough.

I usually use this under a moisturizer (even in the hottest, most humid weather), since the "layer" underneath prevents me from having to use too much--at roughly $40 per one ounce bottle, this is pricy! I can't quite tell how much I've used, but it seems that the bottle will last about 3 months (using once a day, only on the face). The MA told me 6 months to a year...I really don't believe that. Still, 3 months is reasonable...and this has done an amazing job of keeping my skin clear and safe. I'm outside in the blazing Californian sun 12 hours a day,and despite regular spf 50 sunblock on my exposed arms and legs (NOT this product), I'm rather tanned. My face however, stays winter-pale thanks to Clarins UV plus protection. Not sure if that's a good thing, but it tells me that this works.

on 6/22/2005 5:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a great product for anyone who needs extra protection without the oily feeling. Its a great product to use on top of a moisturizer. Great for people with sensitive or acne prone skin.

on 6/9/2005 9:18:00 PM

Love this stuff! I'm a sunscreen fanatic, but so many products are just heavy and shiny. I cannot deal with stickiness and oiliness on my face! Anyway, this is fabulously light and comfortable. It smells good, too, and does not bother my extremely pale, fairly sensitive skin. The only downsides are that it is terribly expensive ($36.50 for one ounce? ridiculous), and it does not protect as well, I'm assuming, as a sunscreen with Mexoryl. However, Mexoryl supposedly feels heavy and sticky. Anyway, I use this on my face and only my face -- not even on my neck -- because it's so expensive. I use Neutrogena 45 from the neck down. But this stuff is great, and pretty matte. I use a vitamin C serum underneath, so that gives me a bit of shine, and this is mattifying over it. You can also apply powder or blush soon after (instead of waiting a year until the stickiness subsides), as with other products).

on 6/8/2005 12:56:00 AM

right up there with shiseido's ultimate sun protection lotion spf 50 PA+++. dries to a matte, ALMOST imperceptible finish. but it's only for use in the city i.e. it's not suitable for beach use or any sort of water-sport. So for reviewers who have been misguided enough to use it for swimming and think they are protected...BIG OOPS! anyway, price-wise, shiseido's(which happens to be water-resistant)100 ml costs only slightly more than clarin's 30 ml. you do the math :D

on 6/7/2005 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Rosaceans beware! This stuff made my rosacea flare up and my skin felt very tight and flushed-tingly. The mini sample bottle doesn't provide an ingredient list (I knew it had mineral UV protection, and that's it). When I went to the counter to see what was the ingred doing this to me, I found SD Alcohol (a drying alcohol) in the ingredients...one of the most common rosacea irritants out there.

I hate that this didn't work for me! A mineral sunscreen! SPF 40! Rosacea has a sick sense of humor.

So this is where the reviews for this product are at, I posted it under another facial treatments or something because of the anti-oxidants. This is a new product from Clarins this summer. It protects face from the sun (SPF40) and environmental pollution. I normally don't use sunscreen of such a high SPF since I have combo/oily skin prone to breakouts. But I swim alot in the summer and I really don't want to end up with wrinkled skin in my 20's. This sunscreen is perfect! It is feather light, gives matte finish, goes great under foundation and did not give me any breakouts! Nice light scent. Though it's quite expensive for such a small bottle...Oh well, I'd rather pay $$ now than have dried up fish scale skin later...

Top Rated Clarins Products