December 19, 2014 | 1483 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Up The Amp

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2008 10:18:00 PM More reviews by pink_kitty

A MAC sa recommended this to me when I was at a loss for a good lippie to wear with purple e/s. I am glad I took a chance on this one, the color is unusual, I think it really is pretty unique. I would describe it as a creamy, milky, medium lavendar with shine.

I like to apply it straight with a lip brush, to get the true color without altering it with liners or gloss.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2007 4:50:00 PM More reviews by eqing

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've passed this at the Mac Store so many times. The color just jumps out at me from all the other l/s they have on display. Really it is just such a unique color in the tube. What I failed to realize is that, it is a beautiful color on. If you are light olive, Asian, or have yellow- golden undertones try this. It is beautiful.
It's rosy violet. Packs the impact you'd expect of a blue red, but in a light violet instead. Staying power is surprisingly decent for Mac (I'm more of a Nars girl) I wore this with light blue eyeshadow and it balanced nicely. This color works good as a contrasting color. Not so MLBB.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2007 12:06:00 AM More reviews by ImCastingMagicMissiles

Maybe I'm crazy, but this isn't bright enough for me. Usually MAC amp. cream formulas go on my lips the way the look in the tubes, but this one seems a bit more sheer. On my pigmented lips, it's a slightly plum pink-based violet cream. I like that it stays on very well and wears evenly throughout the day. Try pairing it with VGVI lipglass.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2007 2:56:00 PM More reviews by c00ki312

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A pinky-mauve shade. very eyecatching and will suit any skintone. It may look bright in the tube but can be applied sheer. I have diorkiss lipgloss in lychee rose which is an exact shade of this l/s and i use this on top to get a more intense colour.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2007 10:10:00 PM More reviews by keavy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A truly beautiful and unique shade that can be worn day or night. I've never seen a shade like this and that can look great on a wide range of skin tones ! At first I thought by looking at it in the tube,it would be blah or just plain weird looking but once I put it on I was just in awe-so pretty ! I wear this with clear lipglass on top. I will keep repurchasing !

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2007 3:07:00 PM More reviews by BebeLush

Currently on my third tube - I adore violet shades, and this one is definitely the best.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2007 4:22:00 PM More reviews by lovemm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am in love with this lipstick! I was hesitant to buy it because I didn't think I would get enough use out of it but I definitely have! It is a highly pigmented violet colour that looks great when going out at night, but I also love it with a very simple, clean face for daytime.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2007 8:22:00 AM More reviews by honeybees

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

wow. very unique color. sort of a pinkish violet purpley pink.
i just bought this yesterday, but after trying it on i am going to have to really think about what i wear it with, clothing wise! and black is about the only color i could come up with right now that didnt take the attention away from its gorgeousness.
some ladies suggested it mostly being a night look. however
i think if used properly could easily be a beautiful daytime pop of color!

EDIT:
even though i love this color (so so unique)... i am returning it today. i became logical one day and just couldnt see myself using this enough to make it worth what i paid for. definitely would be amazing for parties.. but i'm not one of those nightlife girls. :) sorry uptheamp.
continued >>

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2006 3:41:00 AM More reviews by MakeupISart

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this lipstick! Never woulda thought I could pull off this color. Its just pretty, and I love the formula! Its pretty dramatic though, I was actually scared to wear it the first time! I would probably only wear it out at night, as I think its a bit too much for daytime. Still great though! :D

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2006 8:15:00 PM More reviews by sushiiflower

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

GGG - C40 - Brown Hair - Brown Eyes

Up the Amp! Where have you been all my life? I am natural, brown, pink kinda gal. When I originally saw the ad for MAC's Up the Amp Collection, I loved the lips. But really, it's an ad & not real life. Then, I started seeing a few people wear it sucessfully in the LJ Communities and I thought, geez, that is such a gorgeous color but I never thought in a million years I could pull off the violet pink look. Boy was I wrong! I returned a few empties and I figured, ah why the hell not, it was free! Plus my MA, who happened to be a few shades darker than me said she wore is ALL the time. Once she applied it to my lips, I was sold. I absolutely adore this color. By itself, it's a tad drying to my lips (but lips are ALWAYS dry, so I need to use a balm underneath, this is an amplified creme so it shouldn't be drying on "normal" people) so I would probably wear this with gloss on top.

It's definitely not for the faint of heart, and it's not an every day color, but surprisingly quite wearable for those special occasions. My MA told me to pair this with Nightmoth Lip Liner to darken the color a bit to give it a deeper violet color, and I added Morning Glory Lipglass over the top to give it a shiny coat-- SO GORGEOUS. It turns the violet pink into the color that resembles the up the amp ad. On it's own, it's not quite as purple, more pink by itself. Also, I tried Up the amp with Morning Glory Lipglass on top (minus the pencil) it was still a great color but it gave it such a pretty sheen. (and i should mention i also hate glitter, but it did not look glittery) I recommend EVERYONE to try this color. I think you'd be surprised on well this color will work. It's definitely not run of the mill, and coming from someone who hates bright colors, I think that speaks volumes.

continued >>