August 28, 2014 | 1926 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED & REFORMULATED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2009 7:08:00 PM More reviews by EternalKudra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Knocking on wood here, but it's possible that I've found my HG foundation. I've used mineral foundations for quite a few years, and there have always been things I wasn't 100% happy with about them, but I still preferred them to liquid. I love, love, love Shiseido's spf 55 cream, though, so I thought it was worth trying the foundation version. So far, I'm thrilled. It feels even lighter than my minerals on, not much different than the sunscreen, but it's still decent coverage without having to pile it on. It's pretty matte (which I like), but not in a too-flat way. My skin tends to not be an oil slick on its own but turns into an oil slick when I wear foundation; I've had this stuff on for about 7 hours now and I could use a blot, but it's still there, still providing coverage, and still looks good. I'm an NC15ish, and I got SP10. I know some NCs have said that shade is too pink, but I'm more warm-neutral than extremely yellow undertoned. This is the most I've ever spent on a foundation, but a little goes a long way (even on my pretty awful skin), and as long as it doesn't break me out, I'll repurchase for sure.

Update 2/14: A week later, I'm just loving this stuff more and more. I can't believe it's possible for something with such good coverage to feel so weightless on. No breakouts, and while I know they can take a while to surface, I tend to at least get tiny bumps within a few days if a product is going to cause me trouble.

Update 3/6: Yup, definitely HG status. I would know by now for sure if this stuff was going to break me out, and it hasn't. I just keep loving it more and more. It's everything I never thought I'd find in a foundation. I will add, though, that it will accentuate flakes if you don't moisturize first...but don't all foundations do that? This is as close to foundation perfection as I think I'll ever come.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2009 5:43:00 PM More reviews by quendelyn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This came close to being my HG> Except, none of the colors work well for me! That's why I took a couple of lippies off. I am extremely fair, being a natural redhead. I loved that it lasted so well. Gave great coverage and a super high SPF. And it looked like skin. But, I am very light with yellow undertones. SP10, to pink, SP30, right tone, but to dark. Wish it were 2-3 shades lighter. I will use this in summer, when going boating or to the beach. Otherwise will stick to Covergirl Olay Simply Ageless. I agree, Shiseido color selection, leaves something to be desired. Should they add a color that works for me, I'd definitely use it, all the time. It is drying, but I use a good moisture base before I apply, and don't let the moisture absorb, before I apply it. I apply with finger, sponge soaks up way to much product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2009 5:53:00 AM More reviews by Paulygirl21

I am postively SHOCKED that I haven't reviewed this! This is, without a doubt, my go-to summer foundation. I love the fact that it has high SPF, not to mention wonderful staying power. I remember being so disappointed when they discontinued Almay's *original* Amazing Lasting foundation, but this has more than replaced it. Can go on a bit too dry (as others have mentioned) but as someone whose face becomes an oil-slick in the Texas heat, this is perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2009 7:03:00 PM More reviews by mcpalin08

This is the gold standard of spf foundations, but it would be worth using even without it's great protection. With it's high percentage of minerals, it is a true liquid-mineral foundation. Gives full coverage, but the finish is shockingly natural for the pigment density. Yet somehow, my skin still feels like it can breathe, and never any breakouts, even after leaving it on all day and night.
    This will not do well for you if you have any flaking or dry issues, they will be accented! Fantastic makeup for clubbing, swimming, shagging, as it will not sweat off or run. It does buff off a bit if you say, blow your nose, but in an o.k. way, not exposing too many secrets.
    Plan to use cold-cream or oil to remove this completely.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2008 10:13:00 AM More reviews by tylehay

I purchased this a few months ago, but cant use it as it's too dark for me now. I knew this when buying, but fell in love with it instore, so figured I would wear it in summer when I goot up a notch or two. Retails for $50 AU which I think is rather cheap for a department store foundation.

I have this in the lighest shade but it is a tad too orange and dark for me. I have worn this out though before when i put bronzer on my body and it blended seamlessly for me. This really does last through anything and is waterproof. No need to sugarcoat it, I had sex in this. The room was warm, there was sweat, I showered afterward - my makeup was still pretty much intact afterward. I cant wait till summer to be able to wear this and just blot the oil off my face with no reisude from the foundation.

Is medium coverage and layers to full coverage beautifully. It does appear heavy or caked on when layered as the actual foundation appears very fresh and skin like.

I use a washclosh with cleanser to remove it as normal cleanser requires a few washes until there is no trace of it. I have oily, acne prone skin and it does not cause blackheads or white heads. I mix half and half sometimes with a really pale foundation to wear on long days - no acne!

Packaging is hygenic and the cap is good as there is no spillage, however cannot see how much is left.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2008 1:43:00 AM More reviews by malisa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Provides good coverage...gives my face a subtly whiter sheen but curiously my Asian husband likes my Asian skin lighter. I like this a lot because, though my oil-producing T-zone eventually seeps through anything I put on my face, this makeup holds up just a bit better than other foundations. Not the mention the high SPF factor!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2008 4:21:00 PM More reviews by womanwarrior

Full coverage, totally matte, plus SPF 42! Don't let the runny texture of this foundation fool you, it is heavily pigmented, but dries quickly and will not budge, so work in small sections at a time. This foundation does breakdown a little when my nose gets oily in the summer, but otherwise, this will not disappear until you remove it with cleansing oil. Must remove thoroughly with cleansing oil, then wash face... or risk extreme breakouts. I love the jasmine scent of this product, and I can live with the bottle, even though it's turquoise blue and opaque. I do wish there were a few more shade choices. As an NC 25-30, I wear this in SP40, which is a good match for my untanned skin, but too light and pink-based for to match the summer shade of my neck and shoulders (which I never manage to slather with enough sunscreen to keep from tanning). I'd probably be better off with SP60 (which is darker and more "ochre -- that's Shiseido-speak for yellow) in the summer, but this product isn't exactly cheap, so I just use some bronzer instead. I love Shiseido's sun products and will definitely purchase this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2008 2:22:00 AM More reviews by kimtee

I've been using this foundation for about 6 months now.

I usually apply it with a foundation brush, and then put on powder after to set it.(this foundation is kinda sticky). The color doesn't match my skintones very well, however it does have great coverage and comes with SPF42. Also, this doesn't make me break out, unlike MAC foundations.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2008 3:29:00 PM More reviews by daisyandy

I love this foundation. It goes on easily, gives great coverage and
    has a high SPF factor which is important. It comes with a little
    sponge inside a plastic case which I do not use, prefer to apply
    with fingers for a better blend. Have been using this for over a
    year and it is now a staple.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2008 5:51:00 PM More reviews by ginnygordon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I *absolutely love* the spf 55 lotion, so I decided to try this foundation, too. It is sheerer than I expected. I thought it would be full coverage, since it is so high in spf protection, but it applies rather light (and I have been using a very generous amount, since I don't apply ss when I wear this). It blends quite nicely with the included sponge. I chose the lightest color (sp 10) because I am very fair, and it is a tad dark for me. If they had a sp 05, it would be perfect. However, I like this foundation so much that I will buy it again, even though the color is not perfect. When I apply powder over top, it looks like the perfect shade for me, anyways. What I like about this foundation is that it applies and blends well, feels very nice on (not at all heavy or mask-like), helps to keep me matte, and has lots of sun protection. I also like the cute little bottle that matches my other Shiseido sun products, and the little case for the sponge. It has the very faint, soft scent of the other sun products (which I like).