July 31, 2014 | 1295 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - The Rocket Volum Express

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2013 9:06:00 AM More reviews by ilovevsandstuff

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I put NO on repurchase because this is not the GREATEST mascara ever. This is a really bad beginners mascara because of the brush. It gives a lot of length and it stays on great but it's kind of difficult to put it on. I often use the Mabelline One by One for like one coat and then a few coats of The Rocket and it looks amazing. The brush is pretty clumsy in the beginning but otherwise it's a very good mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2013 6:57:00 AM More reviews by Catsmeow2324

This is my all time favorite mascara. I get so many compliments when I wear this . This gives my eyelashes more length than volume

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2013 2:46:00 AM More reviews by Kluv14

This mascara is one of the bests that I've used so far! I liked the formula and the brush, it made my eyelashes more separated and I have long lashes and I just love how it made them look!! The packaging was also very nice.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2013 4:05:00 AM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

They call this 'The Rocket'. Yeah, it's The Rocket alright. The one that blasts my eyelashes straight into Tammy Faye Bakker territory.
This mascara is so heavy and clumpy that just one pass of it- not even what I'd consider an entire coat- is way, way too much on my eyelashes. This transforms my pretty good, long relatively thick lashes into cockroach legs. We're not talking about average run-of-the-mill shiesty hotel cockroaches either. More like terrifying Mother Of All need-assistance-to-help-kill Cockroaches here. It's that bad.
The brush creates most of the issues for me, I think. It's really hard for me to coat each lash evenly with it because the rubber fibers seem far too short and spaced apart to fan out my lashes during application. Because of this, alongside the general wet consistency of the actual mascara, all of my lashes sort of seize up and stick together. Maybe they're petrified? I can't say that the formula is very buildable on me because after the first pass, I start getting those unattractive mini-clumps toward the ends of my lashes. You know, the ones that almost look like little branches. Trying to coat the base of my lashes with the brush is extremely tricky. You can't just wiggle The Rocket's wand at the roots of the lashes like you can more bristly brushes. Doing this with The Rocket ensures twice the clumping you'd have had otherwise.
Making an attempt to comb it out only complicates matters further. If you try to attack the mascara before it has dried (and it does take a while to dry all the way up), they stick together even worse and you pretty much ruin whatever curl you had. Waiting for it to dry and then trying to tame the clumps doesn't fair much better for me either. The Rocket sets so hard that you run a real risk of losing your eyelashes if you try to comb through it.
It's no surprise that this mascara feels just as heavy on the eyelashes as it looks. If I could come up with two words to summarize my eyelashes with The Rocket on, they'd definitely be "crispy" and "hard". Kind of sounds like kettle cooked potato chips, right? That's sort of what my lashes feel like with it on too. I can genuinely feel it on my eyes. Not very pleasant.
I cannot comment on the staying power of The Rocket because I've been so turned off by this mascara since I bought it that I haven't worn it long enough to gauge it's longevity. Once I have it on, I really just want to get it off.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/4/2013 1:43:00 AM More reviews by snazzybear

It makes my lashes look amazing with lots of length and volume but smudges underneath the eyes after around an hour

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2013 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Wendy1954

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I liked this more than I thought I would. The brush is rubber tipped, not bristles but it allows you to get close to the lash line. I didn't need to layer this to get good coverage altho if you wait too long for a second coat, things can get clumpy. For the price, a good buy.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by hondafan1122

Love love love this mascara! Best drugstore mascara ever! Love the formula. Even if I am being lazy and not really trying, my mascara/eyelashes end up looking great. This is without using an eyelash curler. Love the formula. No clumps and long-lasting.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2013 11:47:00 AM More reviews by IloveShuUemura

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Oh and I forgot to mention that this does not smudge at all! Even after bathing! It stays there! And surprisingly, they are easy to remove too!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2013 10:27:00 PM More reviews by andreakp103

I really liked this mascara and ill be buying it again. The only problem I had was that if I put too much I'd end up with mega clumpy lashes. I liked that it separated and gave my lashes length. I also liked how I didn't need to curl my eyelashes before applying it, it helped them curl.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2013 1:49:00 PM More reviews by ashleydutta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This mascara does not separate & fan out my lashes like the Cover Girl Clump Crusher does. The brush bristles are shorter, so they don't get as good a grip on the lashes & separate them. The formula is a bit wet & heavy, so my clashes stick together and the curl falls out :-/. I will not repurchase & will stick to CG Clump Crusher.

On the plus side, I did not notice it flaking or smearing. It also lengthens really well - if you like a few clumped together long lashes. Since this is volumizing, I thought it would do more in the separating & thickening department, but alas no.