November 21, 2014 | 1986 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED Basics

rated 3 of 5 on 7/29/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by KaysOpinion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Now i don't want to hate on this product because i don't completely hate it! But, i'm not in love with it either! loll I find the packaging cute, it's small, fits in a purse, great to travel with. But what i do not like about it is, the colors don't really appear on the skin, you really have to apply an eyelid primer, or concealer to really make the color show. As for the brown and black color in the pallet they are quite pigmented but i still wouldn't repurchase this just because it is pricey and I can most probably find the same colors in drug store pallets.

- KaysOpinion

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2013 3:14:00 PM More reviews by genarod

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

EDIT- 1/3/2014

Hats off, Naked Basics! Do I ever owe you an apology!

So backtrack a little. Over the holiday season I, like everyone else it seems, ran out to treat myself to a naked palette with a little Christmas money.

I chose Naked 2. I won't get into specifics because this is a review for basics, not N2, but let's just say N2 has become a makeup staple, and my favorite new toy-- I use it every single day.

I realized that with N2, the real magic happens when I mix the colors in the palette. I began thinking maybe I didn't give basics a fair shot after all. Also I remember being really disappointed with foxy in naked basics, meanwhile in N2 I use it all the time. With basics I was using the WNW fergie primer, but with n2 I use painterly. To be honest when I bought naked basics my skill level in eyeshadow application was pretty novice. Still, I am amateur at best, but my introduction to MAC painterly (and some new brushes) has been a real game changer in how my shadows, apply, look overall, and how they last.

Naked basics is a terrific and handy little palette. The looks it can create are definitely a "my lids but better" appearance. I don't think it has as much range as it's cousins n1, 2 and 3, in the sense that you can't really create such a dramatic eye- but again that's not how the palette is intended, so I don't think that's a downfall per se.

My favorite natural and BEAUTIFUL every day look is:

Painterly as a base, followed by crave lined about the top lash line

Then foxy slapped onto the lids and blended all the way up into the brow bone.

After I take faint and blend it into the crease and outer V. This blends out into a beautiful cool, taupey brown that cancels out all the peachy tones in my lids that make me appear tired on my nc15 skintone.

My final steps (and why this palette can't have 5 lippies) is to then take blackout (N2) and line my upper eye and lashline.

I then take busted (also naked 2) and line the outer half of my lower lashline.

I then go back to naked basics and put virgin in the inner corners-- and this looks BEAUTIFUL and natural if I do say so myself.

Unfortunately with naked basics alone, I don't feel like the color range is expansive enough to put together a truly polished look. But for a casual weekend or a gym bag, where you need to pack light, i feel like this palette is definitely all you need to look presentable. PLUS the three darker shades are all cool- so they can double as eyebrow powder! :D

This is such an essential palette.

I think my dream of dreams would be if naked basics was expanded into a 12 pan pallete of predominantly mattes, and included a brush for travel.

My ideal palette would be all the colors in naked basics plus:
Blackout, bootycall, tease, busted, demolition (the eyeliner turned into an eyeshadow shade), and perhaps a shade like naked from the N1 palette.

I think that would be a dream of dreams. But for what naked basics is, and what it is intende to be I think it is quite a superior little pallete and I am GO GLAD to have it as part of my little collection :)

***original review** in summer of 2013:

I guess I'm in the minority I was soooo disappointed.

I was very excited to get this palette bc I love both mattes and nudes- it's all I wear.

When I swatched the colors in the store I could not wait to buy this. But none of the colors show up, like at all. The pigmentation quality is really poor, and no matter how much primer I put, or how much product, or which brush, I can just not get these to work.

Maybe it is my light skin but foxy, WOS and Naked 2 are all invisible on me, like invisible. Faint and crave are obviously dark, crave actually has excellent pigmentation but I'm not a fan of black eyeshadow so it's appeal is lost on me.

Venus is the only one with shimmer, and it's workable but I feel like I have to use a lot of it, and honestly I would rather highlight my brow bone with a matte shade.

Literally nothing in the palette worked for me, I was so bummed. :(

I went back to using my $4 quad of Revlon CS coffee bean, and I've never been so appreciative of a DS product. These colors actually show up on the skin and at a fraction of the cost.

I found naked basics to be sooooo overrated.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2013 2:25:00 PM More reviews by Janienikol

I don't completely love this palette but I don't hat it either, it's a nice matte palette but if you have the naked1 or naked2 you really don't need this, I got the naked 2 and haven't touched this since I got it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2013 3:25:00 AM More reviews by payjark

This has some awesome neutral shadows in it that can create so many looks. It was about $25 at Ulta I believe which is pretty reasonable for such smooth, pigmented, and versatile shadows.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2013 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Hollipop19

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this palette to achieve my everyday pin-up inspired look, and it has been working perfectly! The matte colors are very classic, wearable, and they all look great on my very pale skin! All of the eyeshadows are creamy, pigmented, and long-wearing! As an added bonus, the packaging is sturdy and great for traveling! I highly recommend this palette for all those in need of basic matte eyeshadows!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2013 12:52:00 AM More reviews by MissMadiMakeup

I really like this product! However I find the that "Naked 2" and "Walk of shame" are really chalky! Which is to back because walk of shame is such a beautiful color!! I still often use it but ind the texture a little odd! I love Venus and Foxy however, they are beautiful!! I don't really use Crave and Faint because they are way to dark for me! I do really like this palette and would recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2013 9:01:00 PM More reviews by wixter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This palette is perfect for anyone who loves mattes, used mattes everyday, or needs a small palette.

I use this palette every single day. I use the darker shades, mainly Naked 2, in the crease as a blending color, I use the lighter shades, mainly Foxy, to blend on the brow bone, and Venus is the best highlighting color I've ever seen and used.

This palette is very worth the price and works very well with either of the Naked palettes, and with any look you do, really. Definitely worth the money!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2013 8:43:00 AM More reviews by waffles85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

amazing amazing amazing!!! this palette is so easy to use for a quick neutral smokey eye. it usually takes me 3-5 minutes to do a really nice look with it. all the colors show up on my NC42 brown skin. best used with a primer, something like mac paintpot soft ochre/painterly.

if you need an idea on how to create a very quick and easy look with this palette, i've created a 3 minute tutorial on youtube linked below. check it out and be sure to comment and let me know what you think :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2013 2:03:00 PM More reviews by beautybrehyn65

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wowza! This is my favorite all time eyeshadow palette! It always calls my name and I end up using it everyday! I feel bad for my other eyeshadows! :( but you can create basically ANY look with just these 6 shadows! It's perfect! The shadows are so soft and blendable. And with the UD shadow primer... They stay on ALL day. HG product! Alot of people complain about the price but honestly $27 for 6 shadows is $4.50 for each. The Loreal infallible shadows are $7 alone. And normal UD shadows are $18. So this is a bargain! If you haven't tried them yet.... What are you waiting for??! xx -beautybrehyn65 from youtube

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2013 2:27:00 PM More reviews by Lilil95

I really liked the idea of this because I LOVE UD matte eyeshadows but the first three are basically identical and I never use black so I only liked two of the eyeshadows so I just returned it which is a shame because the staying power was amazing and I normally have trouble with that.