December 22, 2014 | 1070 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED Basics

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2013 12:57:00 PM More reviews by Susan2148A

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I know I'll be in the minority here, but this is just so-so for me. I used it a few times and then put it in my stash. Two colors work well for me - Venus and Naked 2. I would buy those individually but I wouldn't buy the palette again. The lighter colors, except for Venus, are chalky and don't show up well on me. The others are unremarkable (except for Naked 2). I would probably take the palette with me while traveling just because it's compact; other than that, I don't see me using it very much. I would rather pay $18 for each individual color I wanted and would use.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2013 9:26:00 PM More reviews by SiteNo8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love the colours, and the packaging is fine, but the product is very flyaway! You can lose a lot of product when loading a dry brush. A primer is an absolute must in order to maintain the colours and keep them from creasing.
There is no applicator included, which doesn't bother me, since I usually throw them out and use my own brushes anyway.
There are 6 natural colours: 5 matte and 1 white shimmer. I would have liked all matte colours, since they're harder to find. I love the black ("Crave") it's so inky! It works as a subtle, smokey eyeliner. Love it. I would repurchase Crave on its own. "Walk of Shame", a pink toned beige, is my other favourite at the moment.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2013 12:00:00 PM More reviews by tessamen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this little palette! As a college student it's perfect for a daytime eye that has a little depth as well as a moderate to very Smokey eye. The shimmery Venus is a nice highlight and Faint is perfect to brush into your crease, I like to use WOS on my lid to brighten them and contrast the crease,and having a nice matte black like Crave shadow also comes in handy to smoke or your eye or use as a liner. I'll repurchase when I hit pan!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2013 4:16:00 PM More reviews by paneradfisk

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

CLICK CONTINUE TO SEE SWATCHES AND COMPARISON WITH OTHER SHADES!

~~ SHADES ~~

VENUS:
A shimmery/shiny off-white with slightly warm undertone. No glitter, just kind of shiny.
DUPES: Virgin in Naked 1 and Bootycall in Naked 2 but less in-your-face-shimmery than both (they look similar when on, but different in the pan), UD Kinky except Kinky is matte.
USES: Wash over eyelid, highlight, base.
RATING: 4/5 this doesn't have the best pigmentation but I guess that wasn't the goal - I think it's purpose is to give a sheer sheen more than full on white.

FOXY:
A pale yellow matte, also included in Naked 2. Matches my skintone exactly, which is NC05 or NC10 - MUFE Mat Velvet in 15 matches me.
DUPES: I think this is a quite unique shade and I couldn't really come up with any dupes.
USES: Highlight, base, wash over eyelid, blending out darker shades and - for me - instead of concealer or for setting concealer, since it matches my skin tone and gives more coverage than a powder.
RATING: 3/5 not the best pigmentation, I love the shade though because it matches my skin tone and will reach for it often.

W.O.S: A matte pale pinky/rosy nude.
DUPES: Similar to Sin (included in Naked 1) without the shimmer. MAC Vanilla is lighter.
USES: Highlight (depending on your skin tone), base, wash over lid, to blend out darker shades.
RATING: 4/5 great pigmentation and nice shade but not something I would reach for.

NAKED 2: A matte cool taupe.
DUPES: The shade naked in Naked 1 is similar.
USES: Wash over lid, base for a brown smokey eye, blend out darker harsh lines, contouring - since this is cool it's very good for contouring of cheek bones and nose. Highlighting if you have a dark skin tone.
RATING: 5/5 this is so lovely because it works PERFECTLY for contouring if you are pale - it's not orange at all and light enough.

FAINT: A matte neutral (leaning cool) brown.
DUPES: MAC Espresso, Wedge or Charcoal brown, or UD Buck which is in Naked 1.
USES: Base for a smokey eye to make it less harsh than a full black smokey eye, contouring for darker skin tones. Can be used as a soft liner to make lashes look fuller.
RATING: 5/5 this is the best brown I have ever tried - comparing my other favourite browns this has so much better pigmentation.

CRAVE: A matte black with brown undertones and microshimmer - the micro shimmer is not noticable at all if you're not looking for it particularly.
DUPES: Any black eyeshadow.
USES: Smokey eye, eye liner, contouring for very dark skin.
RATING: 4/5 this is the best black eyeshadow I have ever used, and I have used Sugarpill Bulletproof, MAC Carbon and many more. This has the best color payoff and never looks grey/blue like many black eyeshadows can - this is because it doesn't have blue undertones. EDIT: I found Make Up Geek Corrupt is my HG black eyeshadow, though this comes next.

~~ PACKAGING ~~
About the same size as a pack of long cigarettes, just a bit smaller than an iPhone 3, four depotted MAC eyeshadows in a row, the width of a toilet paper roll, little shorter than a can of soda - you get it :)

Also, I was kind (stupid) enough to throw this into the wall to see if the eyeshadows would survive - and it did. Yeah, I do anything for makeupalley!

A little hard to open - but that's better than it opening itself in a bag when you're on a trip, right? I can't say that about the Naked 1 palette which only has a magnet to close the lid... It's made of really hard plastic and you don't have to worry and breaking anything.

~~ OPINION ON THE RANGE OF SHADES ~~
I kind of agree with other reviewers that this palette don't need two off white shades - I realize they wanted to appeal both cool toned and warm toned people, since one is yellow and one is pink, but seriously - they could have made one more neutral. They look almost the same when on the eyelid. There are more shades they could have put instead.

Also, this is obviously made for light skin, which is a little sad. They could have included more people in the palette by making it for both pale and dark skin, instead of putting TWO light shades in two different undertones. That's just what I think.

~~ CONCLUSION ~~
This is still a very usable palette for me personally, and the quality is really good. I love the size, that it's easy to bring with you and that it's easy to create everyday looks and evening looks with this.

continued >>

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 6:19:00 PM More reviews by attractive

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

LOVE!Really perfect colors&quality..A must have!For basic but elegant look...(esp. work,school,interviews etc)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/29/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by KaysOpinion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Now i don't want to hate on this product because i don't completely hate it! But, i'm not in love with it either! loll I find the packaging cute, it's small, fits in a purse, great to travel with. But what i do not like about it is, the colors don't really appear on the skin, you really have to apply an eyelid primer, or concealer to really make the color show. As for the brown and black color in the pallet they are quite pigmented but i still wouldn't repurchase this just because it is pricey and I can most probably find the same colors in drug store pallets.

- KaysOpinion

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2013 3:14:00 PM More reviews by genarod

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

EDIT- 1/3/2014

Hats off, Naked Basics! Do I ever owe you an apology!

So backtrack a little. Over the holiday season I, like everyone else it seems, ran out to treat myself to a naked palette with a little Christmas money.

I chose Naked 2. I won't get into specifics because this is a review for basics, not N2, but let's just say N2 has become a makeup staple, and my favorite new toy-- I use it every single day.

I realized that with N2, the real magic happens when I mix the colors in the palette. I began thinking maybe I didn't give basics a fair shot after all. Also I remember being really disappointed with foxy in naked basics, meanwhile in N2 I use it all the time. With basics I was using the WNW fergie primer, but with n2 I use painterly. To be honest when I bought naked basics my skill level in eyeshadow application was pretty novice. Still, I am amateur at best, but my introduction to MAC painterly (and some new brushes) has been a real game changer in how my shadows, apply, look overall, and how they last.

Naked basics is a terrific and handy little palette. The looks it can create are definitely a "my lids but better" appearance. I don't think it has as much range as it's cousins n1, 2 and 3, in the sense that you can't really create such a dramatic eye- but again that's not how the palette is intended, so I don't think that's a downfall per se.

My favorite natural and BEAUTIFUL every day look is:

Painterly as a base, followed by crave lined about the top lash line

Then foxy slapped onto the lids and blended all the way up into the brow bone.

After I take faint and blend it into the crease and outer V. This blends out into a beautiful cool, taupey brown that cancels out all the peachy tones in my lids that make me appear tired on my nc15 skintone.

My final steps (and why this palette can't have 5 lippies) is to then take blackout (N2) and line my upper eye and lashline.

I then take busted (also naked 2) and line the outer half of my lower lashline.

I then go back to naked basics and put virgin in the inner corners-- and this looks BEAUTIFUL and natural if I do say so myself.

Unfortunately with naked basics alone, I don't feel like the color range is expansive enough to put together a truly polished look. But for a casual weekend or a gym bag, where you need to pack light, i feel like this palette is definitely all you need to look presentable. PLUS the three darker shades are all cool- so they can double as eyebrow powder! :D

This is such an essential palette.

I think my dream of dreams would be if naked basics was expanded into a 12 pan pallete of predominantly mattes, and included a brush for travel.

My ideal palette would be all the colors in naked basics plus:
Blackout, bootycall, tease, busted, demolition (the eyeliner turned into an eyeshadow shade), and perhaps a shade like naked from the N1 palette.

I think that would be a dream of dreams. But for what naked basics is, and what it is intende to be I think it is quite a superior little pallete and I am GO GLAD to have it as part of my little collection :)

***original review** in summer of 2013:

I guess I'm in the minority I was soooo disappointed.

I was very excited to get this palette bc I love both mattes and nudes- it's all I wear.

When I swatched the colors in the store I could not wait to buy this. But none of the colors show up, like at all. The pigmentation quality is really poor, and no matter how much primer I put, or how much product, or which brush, I can just not get these to work.

Maybe it is my light skin but foxy, WOS and Naked 2 are all invisible on me, like invisible. Faint and crave are obviously dark, crave actually has excellent pigmentation but I'm not a fan of black eyeshadow so it's appeal is lost on me.

Venus is the only one with shimmer, and it's workable but I feel like I have to use a lot of it, and honestly I would rather highlight my brow bone with a matte shade.

Literally nothing in the palette worked for me, I was so bummed. :(

I went back to using my $4 quad of Revlon CS coffee bean, and I've never been so appreciative of a DS product. These colors actually show up on the skin and at a fraction of the cost.

I found naked basics to be sooooo overrated.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2013 2:25:00 PM More reviews by Janienikol

I don't completely love this palette but I don't hat it either, it's a nice matte palette but if you have the naked1 or naked2 you really don't need this, I got the naked 2 and haven't touched this since I got it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2013 3:25:00 AM More reviews by payjark

This has some awesome neutral shadows in it that can create so many looks. It was about $25 at Ulta I believe which is pretty reasonable for such smooth, pigmented, and versatile shadows.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2013 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Hollipop19

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this palette to achieve my everyday pin-up inspired look, and it has been working perfectly! The matte colors are very classic, wearable, and they all look great on my very pale skin! All of the eyeshadows are creamy, pigmented, and long-wearing! As an added bonus, the packaging is sturdy and great for traveling! I highly recommend this palette for all those in need of basic matte eyeshadows!