October 25, 2014 | 902 users online

BB Cream - Smashbox - Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2012 9:38:00 PM More reviews by songy67

I'm an NC15 and I mix together "Fair" and "Light" to get the perfect color match. (Fair on its own is too pink and too pale, Light is too yellow and too dark). What sold me on this product was how incredibly well it controls oil. I have combo skin with a very oily t-zone, and live in South Florida where the summer humidity turns me into a porous-looking greaseball by lunchtime. Imagine my surprise when, after testing out a sample of this, I looked in the mirror at 3pm in the afternoon and saw that my skin was dewy, radiant, and soft-looking and I hadn't even blotted or touched up! I'm also unfortunately acne-prone, but this does not break me out at all!

The only negative I can point to is that it can look thick and cakey if not applied correctly and blended in well, or if you over-powder. Adding too much powder on top is a bad move because it dries to a fairly matte finish. Other than that, I am really impressed by this product and find it so convenient and effective. It's what I reach for when I am in a rush since this lets me skip moisturizer + sunblock and still feel pretty good about myself. The coverage is light/ medium at most but it does a great job of cancelling out redness and evening out my skintone. I just go in with some concealer afterward for any scars or spots that still show through.

I also like the packaging, which is a sleek, hygienic squeeze tube. I only wish they would come out with more shade selections since this is quite pricey and I'm not thrilled that I have to buy two just to get the right shade. Overall, I've tried other BB creams before and this definitely comes out on top as one of the better ones.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2012 8:28:00 PM More reviews by JThunder

I have never been a foundation fan, but BB creams sounded up my (makeup) alley. I chose this one because I have friends who are vehement Smashbox fans. Also, I had store points to redeem, so it was kind of free. I dont know if i would have spent $50 on this otherwise. Initial findings during application: light, blendable, smooth coverage. My shade is light and it matched my pale Canadian skin well. It dried quickly and felt nice, not drying or makeup-y. I wore it today in sweltering "I didn't know it gets that hot in Canada" humid weather. It didn't budge. I was complimented on my makeup in the afternoon, hours after application. Now, I have used a few cheapo tinted moisturizers (Cover Girl) and this was way nicer. I have no experience with more expensive tinted moisturizers (like Laura Mercier), so I can't compare it to that. But I am happy with this, and will spend my points on it next time. The $50 is hard to swallow, though.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2012 7:45:00 AM More reviews by MakeupFairyxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I LOOVE this BB cream!! I've used liquid foundation, powder foundation, mineral foundation, and tinted moisturizer and while those were all great none of them were as quick and easy as this one. Especially now that it's getting into summer I don't want to spend too long getting ready in the morning or feel/look like I'm caking on so much makeup. With this you get the moisture, protection, and coverage all in one! So I don't need to spend time moisturizing or using sunscreen first- just quickly apply this with my fingers and it results in a great non-streaky application. This lasts pretty well throughout the day as well. I do find that I have to blot throughout the day though but I'm fine with that. Yes, it is pricy but totally worth it and you get what you pay for, right?

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2012 5:27:00 PM More reviews by 3buzyboyz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this when I saw it demonstrated on QVC one afternoon while I was channel surfing. This is the only BB cream I have tried so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I really like this product. Great SPF, decent moisturization, and just a light dusting of mineral makeup over it and I'm set to apply color. I even think my makeup tends to last longer when I wear it. I'm sold.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2012 10:38:00 PM More reviews by luckycatpdx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Oh, man. I love this stuff. I've been on board with the BB Cream craze for awhile, now, and I've even traipsed through the shelves of Pretty and Cute here in Portland, but I've been hard pressed to commit to BB creams for a couple of reasons. A) Limited shades. I don't care how you market it, grey is not a flattering camouflage for blemishes. Ever. I realize the general consensus is: too many color options defeats the purpose of a bb cream. I completely disagree, but whatever. B) I have extraordinarily sensitive skin, so any multitasking product containing a plethora of polysyllabic ingredients runs the high risk of rendering me a rashy fright.

I am definitely a foundation junkie. With roughly high end 40 foundations and a dozen bb creams scattered about my bathroom- I can safely say I've left few stones unturned in the search for a miracle in a bottle. I usually avoid Smashbox foundations all together- they run dark/orange, and some of their formulas have been disgusting, frankly. The Smashbox BB Cream is a complete dream, though. It goes on buttery smooth, dries to a natural matte finish, provides more coverage than many of the BB Creams I've tried (including Skin79 and Dr. Jart, which seem to be the most popular here in the U.S.), never looks chalky or weirdly pink, and it lasts for HOURS. I mean, it really lasts and lasts on my combination skin. Every couple of hours I look in the mirror to see if it has yet to sink into my rather large pores and it never happens!

The best part however is, it actually makes my skin feel great. Soft and supple. I had a rashy patch by mouth when I first applied the Camera Ready BB Cream, and the redness was considerably diminished when I washed it off later that night. The bumps felt smaller and my skin seemed smoother overall. This is actually a first as far as bb creams go, since very few truly seem to deliver any obvious skin benefits beyond sun protection. I look forward to applying this product, because I genuinely believe it is improving the condition of my skin.

I have yet to experience any irritation or breakouts. I attribute this to the fact that it doesn't contain any of the cyclo-silicones (i.e., cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane). It's also easy to wash off! Many of the bb creams I have tried have been so difficult to remove, even with a proper makeup remover, but this rinses away easily. It's almost impossible to fathom- a product with staying power AND washes off without aggressive scrubbing?

For reference, I'm a smidge darker than warm vanilla in Bobbi Brown, closer to a Nars Deauville (probably a NW20ish in MAC, but more on the neutral side), and the light shade is perfect for me. Not too yellow, not too pink. Not too light, not too dark. Just right and really makes my skin look soft and radiant. I'm not sure if there are light reflecting pigments, but it does provide a nice natural glow that seems to take a few years off my age. I love that it never feels greasy, and truly does seem to provide some degree of oil reduction/control.

I hope Smashbox never quits making this bb cream! This outperforms most of my foundations and puts every tinted moisturizer I own (Laura Mercier, Urban Decay, Smashbox, Estee Lauder, just about any iconic TM on the market) to shame. LOVE this stuff! Love it!

The one, though not completely fatal, flaw is the price. C'mon....$39 for 1 fl. oz? REALLY? For a bb cream, which is essentially a glorified tinted moisturizer? Ugh. It's ridiculous, but I will most likely continue cough up the dough. If it wasn't for the exorbitant price, I would have happily given Camera Ready BB Cream five lippies.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2012 1:36:00 AM More reviews by Antidentite615

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this is light/medium, it blends pretty well but is slightly orange on my NW25 skin. I only have the garnier BB cream to compare this to, but I honestly love this product. Not greasy at all, slightly moisturizing, not matte but not too dewy either. I have to blend this in sections, and it doesn't cover all imperfections, but it definitely evens out my skin tone and redness. The biggest downside for me is the price($39 for one ounce), but a little does go a long way so I feel like it will last a while. This doesn't replace foundation for me but I do reach for it when I'm in a hurry, just running to the store or don't feel like fooling with brushes and foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2012 10:17:00 AM More reviews by cboylove

This is truly a holy grail product for me, I'm 21, male, olive medium skin tone, some acne scars, and combination skin. I've been looking for a product like this forever! I love that this contains SPF 35, plant extracts, anti-aging peptides, and that it covers without looking cakey. The use this with this with the smashbox light primer and set it with mac mineralized skin finish. I love this. The price is a bit steep but it is an amazing product. I would like to mention that the sunscreen in this product does not adequately provide protection from uva rays so wear a broad spectrum sunscreen underneath if your going out in the sun.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/9/2012 8:59:00 PM More reviews by yelloweed

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

I have been wanting to try BB Creams since it became popular with YouTube makeup gurus. Not wanting to buy from Ebay I was glad when Smashbox created their own line. I bought the Light/Medium shade at Sephora and tried it on several times.

I wanted to like this product because I paid $40 for this bottle but it has failed on me repeatedly.

It flaked on my skin even with primer. The flaking looked disgusting and was so embarrassing. I had a few meetings and people pointed out that my make up was melting or that I looked like I'm peeling.

It did not completely covered my imperfections. I still had to use a concealer. I thought BB creams are meant to be an all-in-one base for face.

The worst part is that I feel this sting on my skin after a few minutes of application (with or without a primer). After an hour of it on my face, I would develop this unbearable rash across my face and chin - like a sunburn. It hurts a lot and itches like crazy that I have to wash off all my make up. I am left with no choice but to go make up free until I the allergy goes away.

This was a complete waste of my money.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2012 3:18:00 PM More reviews by champagneshadow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think that a lot of disappointment in various BB Creams has come from the hype surrounding them. They will not change your life or even your skin; or at least the domestic ones won't. I haven't tried the import products myself however. As far as this product goes it has a lot of great positives but some pretty bad negatives as well. To me (and to many others judging from the boards on here and Sephora) this is more or less a tinted moisturizer; I typically use Laura Mercier SPF 20 when I wear tinted moisturizer (usually on the hotter days of summer when I plan on being outside a lot). Being that I find the two products to more or less serve the same purpose I can't help but compare the two...here's how they stacked up:

Price: Laura Mercier is the winner. At Sephora.com 1.5 oz of this product is sold for $42 vs 1 oz sold of Sephora BB Cream for $39. An extra 50% of product for $3? Yes please!

Look: Toss up. Neither one of them provide the amount of coverage I like for just an every day look; hence I just use this type of deal outdoors on really warm California summer days. I like to mix it with Nars Illuminator in Orgasm and apply Bare Minerals Foundation in light amounts over it for a more matte look and of course Bare Minerals Mineral Veil over all of it for an even more mattifying effect.

Sun Protection: This is where the Smashbox BB is the big winner. SPF 35 vs SPF 20.

Overall Feel: I have to say I like the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer a lot better. It's a much "lighter" feel when applied vs the Smashbox which I can definitely feel on my face.

All in all I'm seriously considering taking this product back and exchanging it for the Dr. Jart BB SPF 45 sold at Sephora. Pretty much the only reason I would use the Smashbox over the Laura Mercier is the SPF and Dr. Jart gets better reviews with a higher SPF. I am anxious to see if Dr. Jart as a BB cream is comparable to tinted moisturizer as well or if it's a different beast altogether. Stay tuned!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2012 1:34:00 PM More reviews by flamingoyo

Ever since I've heard the buzz about BB creams, I've been dying to try one. I finally bought the Smashbox one, after a salesclerk at Sephora suggested it over the other brands. I have fair to medium skin, with no problems. I don't usually wear foundation because I don't need it, so dropping 50 bucks on this was a little painful, but I had to try it. I've since learned that, for me, the best way to apply it was straight after moisturizing my skin: it goes on so smoothly and evenly in comparison to when I don't moisturize. It really evens out my skin tone and gives it a dewy glow without making it look greasy, and it compliments my blush perfectly. A little goes a long way, so I know it'll last me a while, which I'm grateful for because of the price. The only factor, besides the price, is that I've yet to notice any improvement with my skin, although I was blessed with a pretty good complexion so I have no idea if that's why I haven't seen any difference. I really love that it has a high SPF, another reason I've been applying it daily. All in all, I really enjoy the product, the packaging itself is a no muss, no fuss type of deal and it does what it advertises. I just wish the price was a bit lower. The fact that it was only 10 bucks cheaper than the Dior BB cream did not sit well with me.