Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Stippling Brush

4.4

on 6/23/2012 9:37:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

First, let me preface this review by saying, I LOVE these brushes!! They are cruelty-free and of fantastic quality. The bristles are phenomenally soft and really hold pigment for application. They are great. I have many different brushes from a variety of price points (MAC, EcoTools, Sonia Kashuk, etc) and these are truly my favorite. I just really don't think you can go wrong with most of them.

I have bought SO many different brushes in hopes of being able to apply my foundation (Tarte 12-hour Amazonian Clay foundation) without using my fingers, and I have always been disappointed. No matter what price point, the brushes I've tried have always left streaks that I needed to blend with my fingers.

Not so with this brush! I used this to apply my foundation yesterday (after watching a tutorial on the RT website) and it worked BEAUTIFULLY. I was so excited! It's somewhat smaller and stouter than other stippling brushes I've had in the past, but it worked great for applying foundation evenly and smoothly. I really couldn't be more impressed.

on 6/21/2012 9:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this brush for applying my Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation. I first saw this brush in Tanya Burr's (pixi2woo) tutorials and seeing how flawless her skin looked, I knew I had to try it. This brush is so soft and feels amazing on my skin. It also makes my makeup look smooth and natural, no streaking or patchy-ness. Some have stated that it's too small but I prefer the smaller size as I feel it gives me more precision in my application. The best part is that it doesn't shed! I have a MAC brush that cost me like $40 and it sheds everywhere and drives me crazy. So at only $10, this brush is awesome! I would highly recommed this brush to anyone!

on 6/18/2012 9:23:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I already owned the MAC 187 but thought I'd try the RT to have a backup. I have to say the RT is fine and does the stippling job perfectly with my liquid foundation. And, as with the MAC, you can use the RT to apply cream blush right after applying foundation, so no need for two separate brushes. And yes, the RT is very well made and doesn't shed. My only two quibbles are: I really don't like the wide bottom of the handle because, for me, all it does is make the brush hard to store. Also, the surface area of the RT is small compared to the MAC, which means I can get my foundation applied faster with the 187. All in all, though, I'm glad to have the RT as backup but still rely on my 187. For the record, the EcoTools duo fiber brush is useless for applying any kind of foundation. It can only be used for powder or maybe powder blush. (And I'm a real fan of EcoTools.)

on 6/17/2012 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I use this for heavier/creamier foundations and the end result is always a flawless finish. I have dry patches but this brush doesn't aggravate/or worsen them. Absolutely no shedding experienced and I've own this since the day it came out and has been through maannnyy washes. Excellent quality and unbeatable price!

on 6/8/2012 4:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I admit, i've yet to use this for foundation. I use it for my cream blushes, and it works really well to distribute the product, leaving a natural finish.

It hasn't shed a single bristle (always good news!).

on 5/22/2012 7:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This brush is so amazing. I get an airbrushed finish every time. I use it with blush, liquid and loose powder foundation. My skin always looks dreamy and flawless with this brush. Although, I use this brush as a buffing brush rather than to stipple. The brush maintains its shape very well because it is dense but soft at the same time. I noticed a tiny bit of shedding, but not enough to raise concern. I also like how convenient it is that the handle can stand on its own. I'm buying a backup brush just in case.

on 5/21/2012 3:33:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This stippling brush is phenomenal! I use it to apply my liquid foundation, and it does a beautiful job at blending in the foundation onto my skin, and creating an airbrushed finish, every time. Ever since I purchased it a few weeks ago, I haven't put it down. Its become a must-have staple in my makeup regime. I can't rave about it enough!

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I bought this from Boots yesterday for 11.99 after coming across the reviews here. Im so so SO glad i did!!!! I usually use the Mac foundation brush, but was finding my makeup was a bit streaky under my powder. So using this this morning, i adore it. It stipples the foundation (I use Lancome Teint Idole 24h) evenly and smoothly giving ab airbrushed look. I love it. Thats it. Cant say any more :P:!

on 5/7/2012 4:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Just thought I'd give people with dry skin a heads up, DO NOT use stippling brushes. I bought this trying to get that "airbrushed" look that so many claim stippling brushes give, only to find it roughed up any dry patches on my skin, making whatever foundation I was using stick to the little flakes. At first I thought it was just this brush, but this brush feels like it's really good quality and the bristles are some of the softest I've felt; so after some research, I discovered stippling brushes apparently just aren't a good idea in general for people with dry patches. The bristles cause "micro exfoliation" which can make your dry skin worse over time. Instead, use either a flat foundation brush or something like the Expert Face Brush; and only do downward strokes so the dry patches aren't irritated. I'm still giving this a good rating because the brush is amazing quality for the price, I just thought I needed to get the word out about the dry skin issue.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This might very well be my favorite brush of all time. I'd read only good things about RT brushes and ordered a handful on a complete whim. I purchased this particular one with the intent to use it as a blush brush, especially for my crazy pigmented blushes (Tarte Frisky, you're one of the first I'm looking at!). As a sidenote, I'm an NW15 and when using this stippling brush to apply Frisky, it looks unbelievably natural and flattering! No ridiculous clown face to contend with, and I dare say even the heavy-handed ladies do not necessarily have to apply their highly pigmented blushes with bated breath because as long as you're applying it with this brush, you just can't get it wrong. It picks up just the perfect amount of powder and deposits it on the skin in such an even and airy manner. I absolutely *adore* this brush and would not be able to function the same without it. All the positive attention and praise it has received is completely justified.

Top Rated Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Products