Maybelline Great Lash BIG

3.5

on 10/8/2009 5:00:00 PM

I actually really like this mascara! I had a coupon for $1 off, so it only cost me around $4, which is great since I'm on a tight budget right now.

Pros:
*The blackest black version is a really nice, rich black. I have decent length eyelashes to begin with, but they are a very light brown. This color helps them to stand out.

*Actually holds a curl all day.

*No clumping! And it's very buildable, so I can add another layer later in the day for more drama. I love that I can go from natural to dramatic with a few extra swipes.

*No need to wipe off excess mascara from the brush.

*Gives my lashes a feathery, soft feel without spider legs (unless I use 5+ coats...and at that point, most lashes won't feel soft anyway).

*Gives considerable length AND volume to my lashes.

Cons:
*Occasional smudging, but only when applied to bottom lashes, where I don't always wear mascara.

*Occasional, very minimal flaking, which is only noticeable when I look in a magnifying mirror.

Honestly, this is becoming one of my favorite mascaras. I've become so used to it, that when I used my L'Oreal voluminous yesterday, I wasn't pleased with the results. This little gem actually outperformed voluminous on me! Granted, everyone's lashes are different, so I don't expect this to work as well on others. But hey, I can be happy that it works on me!

P.S. I added a picture up top so that fellow MUAers can see how this product fared on my lashes.

on 10/7/2009 11:45:00 PM

Sometimes the price of a product can predict the results. I bought this on sale for under 5 bucks. Wasn't worth a penny. The brush is terrible and scratchy. Same old crappy formula as the original. Doesn't lengthen or thicken. Just coats the lashes and then starts to flake off soon afterwards. Worst mascara ever.

on 10/7/2009 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Maybelline somehow managed to take an already crappy product and actually make it WORSE. Way to go!! This mascara is terrible .. I was never fond of the original as it did nothing for my lashes, this actually does even LESS! The wand is terrible and the formula is mind-blowingly *awful*. If I was absolutely desperate for mascara, I'd go without before using this. Total waste of money!

This mascara did absolutely nothing for my lashes.
It smeared throughout the day as well.
I did like the brush however, but the product itself it not worth your $$

on 9/29/2009 2:03:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Totally agree with highheeled. This is the same runny, worthless formula as the original. Adding a big brush does nothing to help the crappiness of the original. Also like someone else on here said, it takes too damn long to create the volume I need, and even if I were to spend an eternity working at it, I don't think it'd amount to my HGs - L'Oreal Extra Volume Collagen, L'Oreal Voluminous, Cover Girl Lash Blast and Maybelline Collosal. All of those put this to shame, which really IS a shame, because I really thought this was my opportunity to see something positive in Great Lash. But this is NOT it. UPDATE: Tried again and think that I've tried so many crappy mascaras lately that this seemed pretty decent. I will say this though; this smudges like no one's business.

on 9/28/2009 4:11:00 PM

The original Great Lash has been a staple in my MU bag for many years (until I tried CG's Lash Blast, now my HG) and I was eager to try this new brush of Maybelline's. So here's my opinion: I can do great things with this mascara (no pun intended) but it just takes too much time. I've never, ever experienced flaking or smearing with the Great Lash formula and this seems to be the same as the original. My problem with this Big is the new large brush. I find it to be no asset whatsoever; in fact, I prefer the original Great Lash curved brush to this. The bristles of the Big are too wide apart, they're not dense enough to catch one's lashes and distribute the mascara effectively (and I have thick lashes). The bristles are too long to allow me to color the roots of my lashes without flicking mascara on my lid. This brush requires extra time to build a good lash base and more time still to build layers. Who has this time in the morning? Not me. I'll finish this up grudgingly, but I won't repurchase.

on 9/28/2009 1:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I don't know what I was thinking when I bought this. Yes, I'm a mascara junkie, and a bargain junkie, but I also hate Maybelline Great Lash with a violent passion. But, I bought it, tried it...and hated it. The formula is unchanged - still thin, still clumpy, still flaky. The big brush, though, is not a complete failure. I might clean the brush and use it with other mascaras.

on 9/26/2009 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I'm actually surprised I like this. It's a good everyday mascara. I don't like the original Great Last at all, I never saw what all the fuss was about. I bought this because I like big brushes, and it's cheap, so I figured what the heck. Good color payoff, removes easily, a nice, natural thick lash.

on 9/23/2009 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I am not a fan of the mascara, it does nothing for my lashes as far as thickening or darkening them. I also feel as if it doesnt last all day and always smears and smudges and I look like I have racoon eyes. Will definitely not buy again.

on 9/22/2009 3:33:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Great priced everyday mascara. I have it in blackest black, and I like it but not love it :) I'll repurchase if on sale