December 19, 2014 | 1551 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black

rated 1 of 5 on 11/26/2009 1:23:00 AM More reviews by frozen_rain

Definitely, Definitely stay away from Carbon Black Waterproof! The ORIGINAL L'Oreal Voluminous is a God-send and my absolute favourite mascara. The other day, on a whim, however, I decided to try to the waterproof Carbon Black. I thought, "How bad can it be?" Oh boy. Talk about smudginess. This stuff runs like crazy. It is black alright, but left me with marks everywhere. The first day I wore it, I was glad I wore it around the house because I literally had to check in the mirror every hour to so to check on the state of my eyes.
Yuck. I will stick to the original.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2009 6:45:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

This mascara is very aptly named. Carbon black is right... because this mascara will leave carbon black RINGS under your eyes! I bought this on a whim while at Ulta because they didn't have my usual mascara in stock (MF 2000 calorie WP), and I needed a atleast $10 worth of stuff to get the $3.50 coupon to apply, you know how it goes... so I grabbed this for $6.99. When I first applied it it seemed okay, but within 10 minutes of application it began to smudge underneath my eyes (I didn't apply this to my lower lashes). Lashes held a curl alright but seemed kinda skimpy, even with Shiseido mascara base underneath. Also I think something in the formula made my eyes itch a bit. I thought I was in the clear because by the afternoon, I did not have much smudging. However, I went shopping for several hours in the evening and when I came home I had black RINGS under my eyes! It looked like I had lined my eyes with eyeliner a few centimeters away from my natural lower lash line, but I know it was this mascara because I have never gotten panda eyes this badly with my normal eye makeup routine. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed and will never buy this mascara again (or buy random mascaras without first researching them on MUA)! Lesson learned :P

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2009 11:25:00 AM More reviews by Hannahbby2

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Ew. This mascara is so smudgy!
When you take the brush out, you get globs of mascara sticking to it.

It's really hard to get off, you have to go over it a few times with an oil based remover for it all to come off.

Doesn't hold a curl at all.

Don't buy this.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2009 11:04:00 AM More reviews by JennyLove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Yuck...I hate this mascara! I read alot of mixed reviews on this product between MUA and YouTube. I decided to just try it myself. I'm always on the hunt for great mascaras and this one isn't one of them!! It clumps my lashes together alot and smudges!!! I didn't even wear it a full day, because I just didn't like the way they made my lashes look.I took it off right away. I don't recommend this. And I won't be buying it again!!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/12/2009 10:41:00 PM More reviews by shuhony

Echoing the sentiments of many previous reviewers... should've read the reviews before impulse-purchasing! I've always heard such great things about the original Voluminous mascara and thought the Carbon Black one would be just as good, just a bit more intense in colour. Well... what a disappointment. It smudges quite a bit, although it's supposed to be water-proof. I find it also weighs down my lashes; the curl is pretty much gone 1-2 hours after application. And when the day is done... it is SO difficult to take off! I routinely use a cleansing oil to remove all of my eye make-up and have never had to tug/struggle as much as I have with this one. I actually have to dissolve the product with Lancome's Bi-Facil first, then use my MAC Cleansing Oil to remove the rest of the residue... and I sometimes still find a trace of it left around my eye area. Too much trouble for a bad product. Will definitely not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2009 6:07:00 PM More reviews by MissPurple

The ORIGINAL waterproof Voluminous mascara has been my favorite for years --- it even beats my beloved Lancome Definicils. I was out of my tube, thought this Carbon Black is just a different packaging and bought one. What a mistake! It clumps, weighs down the curl, flakes, doesn't give as much volume, and the worst of all, it SMUDGES really bad. At first I thought L'Oreal changed the formula on the entire Voluminous line, and was relieved to see the original waterproof in black is still available (just hope they don't discontinue it). ***STAY AWAY FROM VOLUMINOUS CARBON BLACK***

rated 3 of 5 on 11/3/2009 2:44:00 PM More reviews by falovalo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not really any more pigmented than regular Voluminous mascara and not as volumizing. It's a PAIN to wash off, this could stick around for days even after showering and washing my face.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/24/2009 12:27:00 PM More reviews by Decadence

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My Lashes: stick straight thin asian lashes

Stick with the original Voluminous waterproof. The Carbon Black version smudges a bit, yet strangely does not remove as easily despite double cleansing with an oil cleanser and follow up foaming cleanser. This removes the curl from my lashes and does not apply evenly - I definitely have to comb through. The black is not as intense as I thought it would be; in fact, I don't really note that much of a difference (if any) between this black and the original Voluminous WP in black.

It's not the worse mascara I've tried, but it definitely does not perform as well as the regular Voluminous waterproof version (the mascara I return to without fail for the past couple of years). In every aspect, depth of color, holding curl, volumizing and lengthening effect, the original version far outperforms the Carbon Black version.

*sigh* now if I can only find my receipt to return the darn thing...

rated 2 of 5 on 10/23/2009 2:51:00 AM More reviews by amara8

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

SMUDGES! So bad! I love the way this mascara makes my eyelashes look but the raccoon eyes are not worth it! I look like some serial killer after a couple of hours with this stuff on! I had heard great stuff about the Voluminous mascara and bought the waterproof version because I needed one. Boy was that a mistake! Next time I'm getting the non-waterproof version.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/22/2009 2:23:00 AM More reviews by pno219

I had bought this as a buy one get one free with the non-waterproof voluminous mascara. Please, buy that one. I used this after that and to be honest, I wish I had just bought TWO of those instead of trying this one out. Honestly, it looks NICE right after you put it on. But when you come home and check the mirror... you see a bunch of smudges. Like NO JOKE. I guess the formula is just like that. But it DOES lengthen. Makes my eyes all open. :] But so not worth the smudges! The other voluminous mascara does the SAME thing without smudging... and I know people say waterproof is good cuz it has more wax and holds the curl. But that one DOES hold it for me. :] so will never be purchasing THIS one.