L'Oreal Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black

2.6

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

It's really interesting because I had the opposite experience of most of the reviewers. the non-waterproof (original) RUNS like crazy on me...within 20 minutes I have a racoon eye and it's just the runniest mascara ever - the waterproof one can at least stay on for 2 hours in HOT L.A. weather for my oily lids. Which is fairly good for me! On colder days it can last longer .. .. but anyways, I don't like the brush very much, so I just take it out and use a fan brush and apply it. It looks great, very dark, voluminous, holds the curl.

for drugstore mascaras I've tried, this is one I'd consider rebuying! I wish they had an option of "would you buy this product again?" Yes/No/Maybe!

on 11/26/2009 1:23:00 AM

Definitely, Definitely stay away from Carbon Black Waterproof! The ORIGINAL L'Oreal Voluminous is a God-send and my absolute favourite mascara. The other day, on a whim, however, I decided to try to the waterproof Carbon Black. I thought, "How bad can it be?" Oh boy. Talk about smudginess. This stuff runs like crazy. It is black alright, but left me with marks everywhere. The first day I wore it, I was glad I wore it around the house because I literally had to check in the mirror every hour to so to check on the state of my eyes.
Yuck. I will stick to the original.

on 11/14/2009 6:45:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This mascara is very aptly named. Carbon black is right... because this mascara will leave carbon black RINGS under your eyes! I bought this on a whim while at Ulta because they didn't have my usual mascara in stock (MF 2000 calorie WP), and I needed a atleast $10 worth of stuff to get the $3.50 coupon to apply, you know how it goes... so I grabbed this for $6.99. When I first applied it it seemed okay, but within 10 minutes of application it began to smudge underneath my eyes (I didn't apply this to my lower lashes). Lashes held a curl alright but seemed kinda skimpy, even with Shiseido mascara base underneath. Also I think something in the formula made my eyes itch a bit. I thought I was in the clear because by the afternoon, I did not have much smudging. However, I went shopping for several hours in the evening and when I came home I had black RINGS under my eyes! It looked like I had lined my eyes with eyeliner a few centimeters away from my natural lower lash line, but I know it was this mascara because I have never gotten panda eyes this badly with my normal eye makeup routine. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed and will never buy this mascara again (or buy random mascaras without first researching them on MUA)! Lesson learned :P

on 11/14/2009 11:25:00 AM

Ew. This mascara is so smudgy!
When you take the brush out, you get globs of mascara sticking to it.

It's really hard to get off, you have to go over it a few times with an oil based remover for it all to come off.

Doesn't hold a curl at all.

Don't buy this.

on 11/14/2009 11:04:00 AM

Yuck...I hate this mascara! I read alot of mixed reviews on this product between MUA and YouTube. I decided to just try it myself. I'm always on the hunt for great mascaras and this one isn't one of them!! It clumps my lashes together alot and smudges!!! I didn't even wear it a full day, because I just didn't like the way they made my lashes look.I took it off right away. I don't recommend this. And I won't be buying it again!!

on 11/12/2009 10:41:00 PM

Echoing the sentiments of many previous reviewers... should've read the reviews before impulse-purchasing! I've always heard such great things about the original Voluminous mascara and thought the Carbon Black one would be just as good, just a bit more intense in colour. Well... what a disappointment. It smudges quite a bit, although it's supposed to be water-proof. I find it also weighs down my lashes; the curl is pretty much gone 1-2 hours after application. And when the day is done... it is SO difficult to take off! I routinely use a cleansing oil to remove all of my eye make-up and have never had to tug/struggle as much as I have with this one. I actually have to dissolve the product with Lancome's Bi-Facil first, then use my MAC Cleansing Oil to remove the rest of the residue... and I sometimes still find a trace of it left around my eye area. Too much trouble for a bad product. Will definitely not repurchase.

on 11/10/2009 6:07:00 PM

The ORIGINAL waterproof Voluminous mascara has been my favorite for years --- it even beats my beloved Lancome Definicils. I was out of my tube, thought this Carbon Black is just a different packaging and bought one. What a mistake! It clumps, weighs down the curl, flakes, doesn't give as much volume, and the worst of all, it SMUDGES really bad. At first I thought L'Oreal changed the formula on the entire Voluminous line, and was relieved to see the original waterproof in black is still available (just hope they don't discontinue it). ***STAY AWAY FROM VOLUMINOUS CARBON BLACK***

on 11/3/2009 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Not really any more pigmented than regular Voluminous mascara and not as volumizing. It's a PAIN to wash off, this could stick around for days even after showering and washing my face.

on 10/24/2009 12:27:00 PM

My Lashes: stick straight thin asian lashes

Stick with the original Voluminous waterproof. The Carbon Black version smudges a bit, yet strangely does not remove as easily despite double cleansing with an oil cleanser and follow up foaming cleanser. This removes the curl from my lashes and does not apply evenly - I definitely have to comb through. The black is not as intense as I thought it would be; in fact, I don't really note that much of a difference (if any) between this black and the original Voluminous WP in black.

It's not the worse mascara I've tried, but it definitely does not perform as well as the regular Voluminous waterproof version (the mascara I return to without fail for the past couple of years). In every aspect, depth of color, holding curl, volumizing and lengthening effect, the original version far outperforms the Carbon Black version.

*sigh* now if I can only find my receipt to return the darn thing...

on 10/23/2009 2:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

SMUDGES! So bad! I love the way this mascara makes my eyelashes look but the raccoon eyes are not worth it! I look like some serial killer after a couple of hours with this stuff on! I had heard great stuff about the Voluminous mascara and bought the waterproof version because I needed one. Boy was that a mistake! Next time I'm getting the non-waterproof version.