October 23, 2014 | 937 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - Super Lustrous Matte - Really Red

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2009 1:54:00 AM More reviews by staciarose22

I've been using this for months, and never thought about reviewing it on here. I've blogged about it, and recently found out it's what they use on Mad Men to get the authentic red lip of that time. It goes on smooth, doesn't crack or bleed, and is soft focus red. Practically perfect... I don't have a single bad thing to say about this lipstick. It also wears for a long time, but wears off evenly. If they do ever discontinue it, I'm sure plenty of MUA's will not be pleased. I dislike hunting down a discontinued shade. If you're normally scared of red, don't give up without trying this one! It will change your mind.

Update: Yes, it can be a dupe for Russian Red but does not have the same depth of pigment. So you'll have to apply one thin coat and let it set for a few minutes. Then go back and do it again. You have to layer red lipsticks so they won't bleed, fade unevenly, or smear easily.

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2009 1:43:00 AM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have four of these, because I'm sure they are going to discontinue it. They only have two of each color on each display! It's a classic red that will never go out of style, and it's matte! Yay! No weird smell, applies easily, and since it matte it lasts. Seems like few brands believe in matte lips anymore. Pick it up while it's out there!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2009 1:17:00 AM More reviews by shortstuff87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I actually bought this lippie about 2 days ago and decided to wear it to work today along wit the whole pinup look lol And I must sayI got alot of compliments! =) I luv that this is a REAL red and its pretty cheap comapred to MAC. I wont be wearing this too often but its nic to wear when I wan t oadd a lil shock value lol ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2009 1:06:00 AM More reviews by ginch82

The consistency of this lipstick is just as dry as MAC's mattes, but not as thick so it may not "feel" as drying. It blends just as easily, is very pigmented, and does not bleed as easily as the MAC Lustres or Revlon's Super Lustrous. This is very similar to MAC's Russian Red- I wore them both on each half of my lip an my boyfriend couldn't tell that I had 2 different colors on, but under brighter lighting and various angles I could tell that Russian Red is bluer-toned and deeper than Really Red. Both are still flattering and beautiful on my light-olive skin tone but to be honest, both are a bit loud for me so I will probably try In the Red to see how it compares. Oh and if you care about the packaging, it feels a bit flimsy- you can hear/feel the scratchiness when turning the tube (but I know its a DS brand so I don't care much about that).

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2009 1:36:00 PM More reviews by zepgirl6

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this is a really nice bright red but i feel like it might be a bit too bright for me sometimes...so i want to try IN THE RED cuz i feel that one would be perfect...but this lipstick is great regardless.and it lasts forever.love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2009 2:52:00 AM More reviews by minchia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Quite possibly the best red lipstick I have ever found - at any price.

I found this while browsing at CVS, and was curious because it was a matte lipstick - not something we see a lot of these days. I mostly can't be bothered with lipstick, as I find it a pain to reapply, the color changes on my lips and I end up throwing away and wasting the tube. So I've mostly been wearing tinted moisturizers/balms & stains for the past several years. - MAC, Guerlain, Chanel, Bobbie Brown, etc.

They were handing out coupons for $1 off any Revlon product , so thought "why not?". I should have checked MUA before I bought it, because I would have saved myself from having to make a return trip the next day to buy MORE. I can't even remember the last time I loved a lipstick enough to "stock up" on extras.

This lipstick is gorgeous - a true blue, clear red. It's an instant classic and HG. It looks like old hollywood glamour (think Marilyn Monroe), or even something that Gwen Stefani might wear to an award show. It glides on, and doesn't get that dried out look or feeling like other matte lipsticks have in the past. It feels creamy. It blots down nicely if you want something a little softer for work/casual situations. After several hours of wear, it settles into a nice looking lip stain, and I add a little lip balm to give it some extra moisture at the end.

On my return trip I bought two more tubes of Really Red, and a few of the other colors to try (pink about it, pink pout, in the red, mauve it over). The only one I wouldn't repurchase is pink pout - just a little too young looking for me. Even it's doable if you blot it and add a little balm. In the red is also gorgeous.

I hope this line is a keeper for Revlon and not a LE. Does anyone know? If it's a LE, I need to stock up and find the right way to store this stuff for the next 5 years.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2009 7:49:00 PM More reviews by stephanie18

Finally, the perfect matte red! I was previously addicted to MAC's Classic Dame (a l/e Mattene) only because it was the perfect colour. I have very pigmented lips and most reds tend to turn pinky on me. But not only is Classic Dame l/e, it is also not as matte as I'd like and tends to bleed and smudge easily. I picked up Really Red after reading the reviews here (and decided against In the Red because I had a feeling it would do the aforementioned pink thing), and it is PERFECT! a bright red that gives me that old-school 30s vibe, super smooth consistency and not drying at ALL. it feels weightless. Here's the best part: I just wore it to clean my house and then had a long shower ... imagine my surprise when i looked in the mirror and discovered it hadn't budged one bit!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2009 1:53:00 PM More reviews by sfeng

this red is fabulous. there's nothing more to say than that. the matte finish makes for a classic and classy lip that is soft and lovely. it's a universal true red shade that goes on smooth. i can't wait to wear this one out.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2009 7:29:00 PM More reviews by sal4evr

I just found my HG red lipstick! I got Really Red and In The Red from the Matte Lipstick line BOGOF from CVS as I was looking for a good non-shiny red for a wedding I'm attending. Really Red gives me that old Hollywood look. The color is a classic red with a hint of blue undertone and no orange, which is exactly what I was looking for. I don't find it drying at all. It's pretty comfortable on my lips. Absolutely LOVE it and would definitely repurchase!

*Update: I had this on for about 6 hours and after eating, drinking, and blotting with a napkin the color still looked as if I just applied it. It was comfortable the whole time and didn't dry my lips out at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2009 11:15:00 PM More reviews by youdroppedabalmonme

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE these Revlon matte lippies: weightless, velvety, and relatively non-drying. I much prefer them to MAC's Retro Mattes, which are thick as clay and very hard to work with. And Really Red is just that: a true, fire-engine red with a neutral base: not too blue and not too orange. It is a bright rather than a deep red. I would compare it to MAC Russian Red.

Of the shades I own in this line-- Cocoa Craving, Mauve It Over, Wine Not, and Really Red-- the Really Red is by far the most glamorous. It looks great on me with no other makeup, probably because it is a true red without any fuchsia (I am very warm-toned and look bad in reds that tend to fuchsia). Cocoa Craving & Mauve It Over are more versatile shades, as they're subtle and natural-looking, but Really Red is "the" effortless matte red lip look for when I'm in a retro mood! No need for lipliner with this baby, even on my almost-40 lips. It's hands-down the best matte lippie I've ever tried.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No