August 23, 2014 | 1359 users online

Mascara - Chanel - Mascara Exceptionnel

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2008 8:53:00 PM More reviews by dawnsch

Another tester for Allure here. I truly can't decide if I like this product or not. On one hand, it doesn't flake or smudge on me at all (I applied it at 7:30am and at 7:49pm, it still looks the same). It gives a very dramatic look -- maybe too dramatic for daytime, actually. Just one twirl does the trick. On the other hand, spinning the wand is apparently something my brain is not wired to do, since I've come close to stabbing myself in the eye twice (don't ask how, I don't know). There's also not a lot of seperation to the lashes, though I run a metal lash comb through them (and quickly, this formula dries fast) and that does help. Then there's the price: $28 for a mascara that doesn't look all that different from the one I have from L'Oreal for under $10. So, all in all, I guess I won't repurchase this, but I'll continue using the sample just so I can try to get the hang of using that darn wand.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/15/2008 4:26:00 PM More reviews by mels76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love Chanel makeup, and was excited to try this. Packaging is, as usual, lovely. I bought it in black. I didn't like it that much - for me, their Inimitable mascara is a much better choice. I have long eyelashes and I found it made them stick together very quickly, and dries so fast its really difficult to unclog and separate them once the lashes have 'set' into position. I didn't like the brush, found the tiny rows of bristles in between the longer rows scraped against my upper lashline when applying from the base of the top lashes, and just stippled mascara inside my upper eyelid! I usually wipe the wand of any mascara with some tissue before applying it to minimise clogs, but found this still clogged and flaked badly during my 12-hour day at work. And I'm not someone who is constantly touching my eyes either. It was also difficult to remove with my usual wash-off cleanser (which copes easily with most other mascaras). Maybe it would be better suited to shorter lashes - I'm not sure. Love Chanel but don't love this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2008 12:10:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

I'm testing it for Allure too... I wonder how many tubes were sent out.
Anyhow, your supposed to wear only this and respond to the email on the 25th. I have tried it once... and this is because the tube is big and some mascara got on my inner eye rims. It takes awhile to dry I noticed. As for curling, yes there was some slight curl and I already have long and thicker lashes naturally. It gave more volume than anything, but clumped. It could be a difference in the deluxe sample versus the full size. I will continue to give it many more tries in order to give an honest answer. I give it a 4 in hope that those will be better. :) I'm an optimist.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2008 11:46:00 AM More reviews by glossy81

yes! i finally found my dream mascara. i am also testing this for Allure, i see there are a few of us. i got this, had no expectations, (good or bad) for it, and came out with an HG mascara. i can't lie, i didn't know there was a particular way to use the wand, so i just used it like any other wand. but, i absolutely adore this stuff. my lashes look so thick, black, long, and definitely more curled than my lashes usually look. i don't use eyelash curlers anymore, just out of laziness really, but with this mascara i don't need the curler. i left it on overnight (laziness again), but it didn't smudge at all overnight, it still looked perfect. then when i used my mascara remover it came off so easily. i am definitely a believer in this product!! now, i'm gonna try more Chanel products.
p.s. thanks Allure, i would have never tried this product on my own.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2008 5:01:00 AM More reviews by jennstarr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love mascara and have tried just about every single one on the market. This particular mascara is one of the most exciting I've come across in a long time. I love that they incorporated two types of brushes...a more traditional bristle combined with a more firm comb type. Once I got used to the application (its really just changing the wiggle with a twist at the base of the lash) I really like this mascara. No, it doesn't maintain the curl as well as a fine waterproof (like Shu Basic), but it does create a subtle bend and full lash look.
My only problem is I can see this formula getting very thick and clumpy very quickly. I also prefer a waterproof formula, which I'm sure they will come out with soon.
It is pricey, but definitely worth a look if you love mascara.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2008 9:38:00 PM More reviews by brandysmom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm testing this product for Allure and received a sample tube for review purposes. I like the brush quite well but I'm unsure how it will work in the full-sized version (sample tubes always seem better because you can get in close for detail work). The effect I get with this mascara is a very full lash look. People won't ask if you're wearing false eyelashes, but they will notice how lush and fringe-y your lashes are. So far this mascara lasts all day with only very minimal smudging and no flaking. I remove with Lancome Bifacil which takes it all off. I do notice a small amount of irritation around my eyes after wearing this a couple of days in a row, which is why my rating isn't higher and why I won't likely purchase when the sample is gone. I would like to have a stash of the wands, though!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2008 12:39:00 PM More reviews by CNoel

This actually gave me pretty good results! The color is a really deep, carbon black. The application can be a bit tricky, but it comes with instructions on how to use the brush to get the best results - You start at the base of your lashes with the flat side, and rotate outward with the comb side as you go up. This lifted my lashes and made them really thick and long. It lasted all day for me without smudging or flaking.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2008 6:07:00 PM More reviews by karrieleigh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Click "continued" below for pics of the wand...

I somewhat dislike this mascara. I LOVE Inimitable, but I don't love this.

COLOR: The color I have is Smoky Noir. it's very very carbon black. Similar in depth to Diorshow Blackout.

TEXTURE: The formula itself seems very pasty to me, very thick. For me that's always a bad thing, it means clumps and flakes to me. It does go on a bit clumpy, i used a metal lash comb to try to straighten things out.

PACKAGING: The brush i think is supposed to the big draw here i think? I really find it lacking big time. It's so blunt. There are alternating "stripes" of comb then brush, then comb then brush. The bristles in each are incredibly stubby. twirling the brush helps a bit but if the bristles were longer it would be better because i can't get into my lashline with this, and that's a big part of mascara for me.

WEAR: I have had very few mascaras flake on me, and even less mascaras that smear on me under normal circumstances, but this did both. I didn't touch or rub my eyes at all, but when I checked my mascara 4 hours after applying, i had small circles and tons of flakes below and ABOVE my eyes. wtf? I had to remove my makeup immediately, this is why i test new things like this over the weekend. Removing this was not fun either. It comes off easily under my eyes when I don't want it to, then when I actually try to remove it, it won't go away. I left residue on my lashes because i didn't want to chance ripping some of my precious few lashes out.

PRICE: This runs the same $28 as Inimitable. Inimitable is worth it. This isn't. Thank goodness I got this as a sample because I would be seriously bummed out after paying nearly $30 for this.

OVERALL: I will not be purchasing this in full size. I know some people love this, and hopefully it works better for the rest of you, but I can't reccomend it.

Pictures of the wand:

continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2008 7:19:00 PM More reviews by Moosemawen

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this mascara. It makes me look like I have false eyelashes. I have tried everything also. Low end to high end. And this is my favorite.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2008 1:10:00 AM More reviews by hellokitty05

This mascara is AMAZING! BRILLIANT! WOW WOW WOW.
I'm a HUGE makeup junkie and there's nothing more perfect than having something that works. I've gone through them all - believe me. From low-low end to high-high end and this hands down - besides YSL - I'll write a review on that later :P - wins it for me. I look like I'm wearing false eyelashes.

The thing with this mascara is when you apply it on the "mascara" brush side it goes on quite thick and it scared me but then i rotated the brush and wow - transformed my lashes.

I was told by the MA that this mascara was LE - Is this true? I certainly hope not because I dont think I can go on living without this mascara.

I have it in Smoky Noir - #10.