MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I really love this foundation. I used to use drugstore liquid foundations and I am so happy that I have switched to MAC. People complain often about the price, however I must say it is really rather affordable. It is $26 for a pretty decent-sized bottle. A container of foundation this size will last me 7-8 months, therefore $26 for a product of such high quality is not very steep. The coverage can be light or heavy, depending on how much you want to build it up. I have not broken out due to this product. I apply it in light circular movements with my fingers and I get a great application. It is long lasting and provides a nice matte finish that is not dry or chalky. Absolutely great.

The only reason I gave this product a 2 instead of a 1 is because it gave my face a really good coverage. However it broke me out like crazy! I hardly ever break out! While using this product, I grew tons of blackheads too. I knew right away that this was the culprit because this was the only new product in my makeup routine. I used this for about a month but should have stopped sooner. I just really wanted that heavy coverage this foundation gave me. But it clogs my pores like there's no tomorrow! I got these tiny white bumps on my cheeks that are still remaining on my face as of this moment. Maybe I would wear this only at night for a special occasion, but I would never wear it all day again! Would rebuy?! NO WAY!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

the coverage of this foundation is awesome! this made my face look close to flawless. i'm very active; i dance, hike, surf and this foundation is still on my skin with decent coverage. but i can't say that i will purchase this again because it made me break out. it is very important to wash this stuff off your face thoroughly (i do mean thoroughly!) before you go to bed; despite it being oil free, the silicone will make you break out if you're not careful. i really tried sticking to this foundation, but after multiple breakouts (even with religious efforts to remove the product off my face), i've had enough.

UPDATE: out of all the foundations i've tried, i think i will repurchase this. although it did make me break out, this is the only one that did a great job with coverage.

UPDATE: i will NOT repurchase. found a better foundation with great coverage and doesn't make me break out, pur minerals.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I can't believe this product has such horrible reviews...

I'm light-skinned - a NW15 according to MAC...I purchased this product one shade darker than I should have (NW20) and thought initially that this product wouldn't work for me, but I was wrong - after switching up my color to something that DID work for me, I have found that this makeup is fantastic...
It leaves you with a matte finish, a little does go a long way, and applied with a MAC 187 brush, it gives me movie star looking skin...i would absolutley buy again, and find the packaging a little difficult to manage, but the way i use it is to take a cotton swab, pull off all of the cotton at one end, so you're just left with the stick, stick it into your foundation bottle and drop the liquid you pulled out onto the back of a CD (i use the back of CD's as makeup palettes - i saw it on youtube : ), after that - a little dab with my 187, blending, set with powder and you're good to go...i took off a lippie b/c of the price even though a little lasts you a long time, it's still a hefty price to look at while you're in the store.

see if you can go with a sample of this stuff first, that way you can test it out...other than that - i would proclaim this my HG foundation.

on 7/30/2008 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For years I've been a Double Wear foundation user, liked the finish but hated how hard it was to wash it all off. Decided to give SFF a try because the MAC MA felt it was the best choice for my oily skin. Well, after going through a generous sample, I bought a fullsize bottle and have been using it for about a month now. I am now officially off EL DW and this has become my go-to product. First of all, I have to say that this is hands down the best foundation I've tried to really achieve a matte finish to my makeup. This stuff truly lasts all day long, and looks almost as flawless as it did when I first put it on in the morning. Know how you look at someone who looks like they have on perfect makeup and wonder if their face is really flawless or if they just have good makeup on? I've concluded that the secret is MAC foundation. This stuff makes my face look *almost* flawless to the point where you have to look hard to see if it's my skin or my makeup. Dont' get me wrong, you can still tell that I'm wearing makeup, but it looks almost believeable. Set with loose blot powder, the look lasts all day, helps keep my face matte and minimizes the look of my pores. Now, I do still have to blot and powder eventually, but the makeup isn't sliding off my face - blotting and powdering freshens the look for me and it looks almost as good as the morning. (With my oily skin, I don't really expect not to have to blot eventually) It *is* a bit difficult to remove, but not as bad as EL DW for me, and it is by far easier to work with in terms of application. I am not surprised that many people claim to break out with this foundation - you really need to make sure it is thoroughly cleansed off the face, because it is truly long-wearing. So far, I haven't broken out, but then again, I don't wear full makeup every day, and when I do, I really try to do a thorough job in cleansing. My only criticism of this product is that it does not include a pump dispenser, which I feel is a necessity for product metering and sanitation. I did buy the pump separately, (for $4) but it is rather annoying that MAC does not simply include one by default. 1.5 pumps is just about the right amount to cover my whole face, 1 pump when mixing with moisturizer to sheer it down. Not yet my HG (I don't think I will ever find an HG foundation), but will keep repurchasing while I keep searching.

on 7/28/2008 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

first off if you are worried about spending the $25 it really isn't THAT bad because the bottle lasts a really, really long time. Expecially since you don't need that much.- a little goes a long way.

i have combination skin. It's expecially oily around my t-zone (forehead and nose area) well, this product doesn't help minimize the oil at all. infact, it made me feel MORE oily. (and i was using a foundation primer) and i had to use blot sheets (oil absorbing sheets) throughout the day

also this foundation comes off very easily. I gave my boyfriend a hug when he was wearing a white t-shirt and i left an orange looking spot on it. (how embarressing...lol) also, if you sweat- you will have a ring around your shirt collar (gross.)

AND when you apply it at first it looks cakey, then when it sets in it looks much better. BUT it won't look that way all day long. The "flawless" look leaves after about 2 hrs.

Overall- i would suggest this product for going out at night or for a special occasion. But, definately not for an everyday use.

hope i helped
=]

on 7/28/2008 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

I know I'll be unpopular with this one but sometimes, the truth does hurt.
Recently during free shipping I tried MAC s/f powder and fluid foundations for the first time. So sure I'd love it despite the warning reviews, I ordered 2 powders and 2 fluids.
The verdict: Not cheap. Does not last 2 full hours without oxidizing horribly. We're talking HOT hot loud orange mess. Then the fading to dull orange (only brightened by the oil slick underneath) and shifting texture. The matte finish does not hold oil for even a minimal amt of time and melts into oblivion unless you constantly babysit your face with a mirror and blot and repowder all dang day. Before I'm out of the garage, I had to blot. I work a real job, I'm busy and don't have time to fool with makeup all day. Like the s/f powder, this fluid mess also broke me out in a fierce way. At these prices, I expected much better treatment from Mr. MAC.
I've the same full, matte coverage - but True and Lasting as advertised - in drugstore brands at a fraction of the cost.

Not convinced MAC is not the $h!#? See my review on s/f powder and give me another shot.

on 7/27/2008 9:15:00 AM

This stuff is oil free....and LAST ALL DAYYY.....from am till pm....whenever I'm sweating,or get into the pouring rain when I try to get in some buildings from the parking lot.....
Actually, I realy love how this stuff fells like my second skin,and looks sooo NATURAL....but still covers my imperfections....
My skin looks flawless and great all day long....
It doesn't clog pores....doesn't cause any breakouts...and easy to remove......It feels very light and really nice on my skin....my skin can breathes easily....
I only need A LITTLE with this...just one drop...and then I pat this thing on my face with my fingers....and it goes on realllllllyyy smooth...

Hey MAC...I'm in LOVE with your SFF!definitely will repurchase!
The only downside is...the packaging,I prefer with pumps....

on 7/25/2008 3:56:00 PM

i'm bobbi brown sand, and got this in nc20. i read up on the reviews and decided to get the pump together (which the ma seemed to have forgotten to scan, or maybe she just decided to give it to me free :D). the color match is great, i think even better than my bobbi brown moisturizing cream compact foundation (for reference i'm asian w yellow undertones). the coverage is also very good and i need a lot less hilighter/concealer.
i have dry combination skin and use estee lauder's cyber white EX power protector spf 50 as a primer. i apply the foundation with bobbi brown's foundation brush (really good brush! no streaks :D). i pump a drop on the back of my for each of the four areas: forehead, cheek, cheek, nose+chin. i find the the formula quite matte, so it's important to spread the foundation quickly. i pick up the foundation with the brush and dab around the intended area then blend. if you don't do this a lot of product will get wasted cos it dries on your hand before you can use it.
this lasts me an entire day. i don't have to powder when i just put it on in the morning unless im covering some zits with concealer. normally i'll just powder once with mac blot powder/loose to touch up in the afternoon.

on 7/25/2008 3:54:00 PM