MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Okay, I´ve been wearing it for 4 months now and I have to admit, I had to work out how to get the perfect application. I made the mistake of a first-timer and applied it the way I would have my other foundations which are sheerer. Does not work!
Since I really don´t see the necessity in spending a fortune for MACs brushes I figured out how to look flawless and natural by using my fingers.
First off: exfoliate your skin regularily. This foundation might show any dry spots easily.
Before applying put on a really good moisturizer and let it sink into your skin for 10 minutes. THEN use the Prep/Prime from MAC! It does make a difference: you´ll need a lot less of the fluid because it just glides on effortlessly and doesn´t get into your pores at all(one of my problems). Let the P&P dry for about five minutes>>>important! I know this seems like a lot of preparation when you´re in a hurry in the morning, but what I do is just brush my teeth/fix my hair/get dressed in the meantime...
THEN use your middle/ indexfinger and really take as little an amount as possible, almost to where you can´t see the fluid on your finger. Tap this into your skin and repeat until you have the coverage you want. This stuff is highly pigmented, so you definitely do not need as much as you would normally. You only need extremely little!
I experimented with this stuff and finally found a way to get that "no-make-up-look" and still get sufficient coverage for my redness and blotchiness. And voila! It works. You can´t see the coverage at all and I still have flawless - but natural looking skin!
If you apply this the way you would a regular foundation, be aware that you will look VERY made up.
Nonetheless, I love it. It´s expensive, yeah...but you need so little, that in the end you´re actually paying a lot less.
Be sure to get a very translucent/colorless and fine loose powder to set it. The powder makes a huge difference, too. Even if you carefully
apply your foundation, the wrong powder will destroy that natural looking skin.
The only thing I don´t really like about it is the bottle...there really should be a pump! I don´t like sticking my finger into the bottle-breedingground for bacteria...no matter how clean you are.

4 months later: I´m not breaking out at all, I just notice that now in the hot weather I get oily quite quickly.

Packaging sucks! but the foundation is the best liquid foundation out in the market, i will keep buying it until something even better comes out. preferably one without the weird scent.

covers well (like a concealer)
blends well even without a brush, altho faster with one
packaging is ridiculos(in a bad way)
price is ok, since one bottle will last for quite some time.

on 5/7/2008 8:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

the great thing about this product is, is it's coverage. the best coverage i have gotten from a foundation yet. i purchased a pump (which saves you tons of excess foundation) and i squirt 3 little dots on my 168 brush [168.. weird i know, but it's the BEST] and stipple it on my forehead, cheeks, nose and and chin then spead it out. i get GREAT coverage by using the smallest amount. the only downfall is.. i do occasionally break out on my chin, but liquid foundation's never good for your skin right?

on 5/7/2008 1:38:00 PM

So many things to say... I first started using MAC about 3 years ago and discovered I wasn't pleased,so for the past 3 years I have been circling counters trying numerous foundations and just was not happy...I finally decided to go back to MAC, and I have been reacking up their products. This foundation is by far the best I have discovered, after trying Chanel, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Clinique, NARs, Smashbox, Bobbi Brown, Yves St. Laurent, Make up Forever--i've tried everything! Studiofix covers up my dark spots and evens out my skin tone without making my face cakey/dry and looking like I had a load of makeup on!! It keeps the look of real skin, because I can't stand it when foundation is overly matte and looks dry and cakey on me...This is definately a keeper and I am very pleased...also after 2 weeks no breakouts! I tend to breakout easily, and this has controlled my breakouts more than any other foundation as well..even though a lot of people claim MAC can cause breakouts, but everyone's skin is different. I'd ask for a sample before buying, that's what I did and it turned out great!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I really wanted to like this but im not convinced as of yet..
The girl in the store applied it really well, making my skin look flawless but when i tryed it on myself at home i found that it did'ent spread that well.

Im not giving up on it yet, im going to buy a MAC foundation brush and see how it goes because that's what she applied it with.

on 5/1/2008 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

This was recommended to me by a MAC MA when I had a severe breakout all over my face, because the coverage was thicker, and because it didn't have much oil in it. On my face it looked mask-like, and the colour was too yellow and not very natural. I also found that it emphasised spots because as it wasn't moisturising, it made the skin around them dry, so you'd end up with a very obvious flaky ring around every spot. I can make this slightly more wearable by mixing it with moisturiser, but in all honesty it's not really worth it.

on 4/30/2008 12:07:00 PM

I love this foundation! It's comparable to any high end ones. I have oily, acne prone skin and am very happy with the results of this foundation. It gives a matte, silky finish and pretty long lasting, plus it doesn't break me out. My issue is the color range is towards the dark skinned gals. Mac is famous of huge color range in their products but in terms of the foundations the choices for fair skin are limited, especially for this product. It goes darker than the same shade in other formulas. I was matched with NC20, it suits me great but I image those truly white gals with yellow undertones would not find a match since the lightest shade is NC15. I have to buy the separate pump because I hate to make mass on liquid foundations. It's $5 plus tax and is something should be included in the original package.

on 4/29/2008 10:29:00 PM

This is one of those foundations where you look at someone wearing it and think 'What is she hiding under there'

Its thick, goopey, and drying. GROSS!!

Head on a stick- that's a good explanation of the color, texture, and overall look of this foundation

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is definitely one of the worst products I've ever bought. I have oily skin and this foundation made it about 10 times worse. It was way too heavy. Also when the girl at the store was applying it on me it looked good, but when I wore it the next day it looked so yellow and not like my skin tone at all. My face was way darker than my neck and I felt embarrassed. Usually MAC makes wonderful products but not this one.

on 4/29/2008 5:33:00 AM

I've been using this foundation for the past 2.5yrs and i love it. I'm in the process of getting a 187 brush but atm I'm using a el-cheapo powder brush and it does a pretty good job too. The thing is thought as great as it is that the foundation stays on for ageeeeeees it gets annoying when you wash it off, dunno if anyone else has experienced the same problem but i have to get a face washer and kinda gently scrub my face because it's hard to get it off on some places of my face. Otherwise great product but I'm thinking of getting the pump with it it's easier.