December 20, 2014 | 1597 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2005 4:54:00 PM More reviews by CarolStarr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Man this product is terrible smelling. Same with the original HIAJ. But if you can get passed that, it is a very good emulsifying cleanser. Much better than Serious Skin Care's olive oil which smells like salad dressing and is super greasy on the skin. This does the job, but the scent, no matter what Christina Carlino says is hardly pleasant.

But it works and removes make up. I just wish they would take out whatever makes this cleanser smells the way it does.

If you can get passed the off putting scent it is a good cleanser to try.

Editing to add: Yes, I still don't like the scent of this product. But Philosophy's Purity Made Simple is one of the best facial cleansers out there, bar none. And I agree with the reviewer who doesn't like to buy multiple products. Purity will remove your make up, tone the skin, and also remove stubborn mascara. I just wish they would take the ingredient out that makes the product smell bad.
I also wanted to add--yesterday on QVC Mrs. Carlino mentioned that coming soon there will be a SIXTY-FOUR ounce pump bottle of Purity Made Simple. I have not even carved a dent in the thirty-four ounce pump bottle! That will easily be a two year supply even if you use it to clean your brushes as some users here recommend. Hate the scent, but love, love, love this product!
2010 Edit: The smell has grown on me. But some people have said the ingredient deck changed so therefore the scent has changed? I have tried other cleansers and I'm back to Purity. It just works. Now, if you wear mineral make-up, I find that Purity doesn't remove it all unless you scrub in the shower, and you have to do it for more than 10 seconds, massage your face for at least a minute, and when you do the toner test you will find that there is no make-up on the pad. And use lukewarm to warm water.

2011 Edit: I am so over Philosophy. Should be noted that the company is now owned by Coty. QVC seems to get "bad batches", Purity sold at Sephora (including @ JcPenney) seems better. This cleanser is not cutting it for me anymore. The older (and drier) that my skin gets, the more it cannot tolerate a Philosophy Purity clean. Whether that has to do with my age or the "iffyness" of the product I don't have time to figure out. I don't wear enough eye make-up to justify buying this as an eye make-up remover.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2005 3:17:00 PM More reviews by blackbird23

I've been using this cleanser for about 3 - 4 months now and I like it a lot. I've really seen a difference in my skin, both in texture and clarity. It doesn't foam (which I like), contains botanical ingredients (and a minimum of chemicals) and you don't need much to thoroughly cleanse your face. I also like that it doesn't strip the skin, but leaves your face clean, but fresh and dewy. I'll admit, I find Philosophy's packaging a little cheesy...but the products I've tried so far really work.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2005 10:32:00 PM More reviews by lindsey8

I really like this - my skin doesn't get dry but it cleans very well, and I like the smell! Will definitely re-purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2005 2:16:00 AM More reviews by day_sie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this cleanser so much. It does not leave my dry skin dry like many others. It works well getting rid of what it should. It is well worth the money.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2005 10:23:00 PM More reviews by jessicamo

boring... i like the smell and the bottle, but it's nothing special. kinda drying for my combo skin. i thin i'm over philosophy. all hype.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2005 11:39:00 AM More reviews by cheryl49

Removes makeup really well - even mascara without stinging my eyes. It was slightly drying to my combo skin (although nothing that my moisturizer canít handle), which is probably due to the toner aspect. Nice cleanser, but I think itís overpriced for what it does. I'll use this up, but won't repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2005 11:14:00 PM More reviews by phospholipid

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm so glad I got this in a swap before committing to the full size or even shell out some $$. My skin is sensitive, yes, but as calm as it can be, breakouts are *very* rare most of them are due to hormones. I've been using this faithfully morning and night for about a week without any changes in my other skincare regiment and 3 zits appears out of nowhere, not to mention some welts in mid-afternoon. Definitely something that you should try in person before committing to the full bottle. I suspect this rxn is due to all of those botanical extracts, which are dubious in purpose anyway.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2005 6:25:00 PM More reviews by BeautyQueen81

I received this in my jumpstarters kit and I normally do not use face wash because I can never find one that I like, but this stuff works great! It is a very light and creamy cleanser that has a slight and refreshing lemony scent. It does a good job of taking of makeup, dirt, and oil. The best part about it is that it does not leave your skin feeling dry and flaky after use. I would purchase this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2005 10:08:00 AM More reviews by theurbanhippie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this as part of the Radiant Skin in a Box kit and it seemed like a combo of cetaphil and Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing Cream. I liked the texture but since I don't wear powder or foundation, I can't vouch for its makeup removal ability. It did seem to remove my mascara with no problems and left my skin feeling nice. However, I have sensitive, acne prone skin with rosacea (great!) on my chin so time will tell if this cleanser is the HG of cleansers.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2005 5:37:00 PM More reviews by ChrisOM

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE this product. Gentle but effective at removing makeup and dirt. Also leaves my face feeling soft and moist. A definite keeper.