MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

3.7

INGREDIENTS: talc, silica, isostearyl palmitate, methicone, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, phenoxyethanol May Contain: titanium dioxide CI77891, iron oxides CI77491 CI77492 CI77499, chromium oxide green CI77288, ultramarines CI77007 CI 77013

on 5/30/2008 3:07:00 PM

I have finally found my HG foundation...i have repurchased twice now! I wear N3 and it fits my skin tone perfectly! It never leaves me feeling dry nor does it become an oil slick by the end of the day! I dont have a problem with it being cakey looking and despite my acne prone skin....i have not had any breakouts from this! I am in love with this foundation!

*****EDIT***
AHHHHH! so.....i finally figured out what was causing my breakouts....THIS! and finally one of my best girl friends said "hey, no offense but your foundation always looks so heavy and cakey...." that was it! I switched and have been using dermablend for awhile now....way better! However, i did like this before i figured out i looked like a pimply clown.

on 5/29/2008 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

The best pressed powder ever! I've used this for a coupla years.. can't think of anything better than this!!! Love it!

on 5/28/2008 1:13:00 PM

One of the best pressed powders I've ever used. I don't put on foundation everyday but when I do I use this. I do start to form pimples if I sleep with this on overnight, so make sure to wash your face if you have combination skin. Otherwise the coverage is great and it evens out my skin tone very well. Also after a couple hours it blends into your skin and gives it a very natural look.

on 5/28/2008 5:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

When I first applied this powder, I was in Love. My skin looked radiant, flawless, beautiful, just like those models on cosmetics advertisement. I was in awe, until few days later when my skin all of sudden broke out. I do get some pimples once in a while, but not that much. Shame as I really loved how it looked.
I still give it 5 as it really looked beautiful.

EDIT PLEASE READ IF YOUR GOING TO PURCHASE! 6/04/08; you should know that since TALC is the number ONE ingredient, a good way to test if this product will break you out, separate, or dry you out is to use BABY POWDER. I know it sounds insane, but MAC Studio fix had the same effect as Baby Powder on my skin. It looked great when I applied it but then it gets worse as the day goes on. Baby Powder applied lightly is exactly the same just minus the coverage (see reviews to johnsons baby powder). Instead of 'testing' and just wasting money, see what the baby powder does, and try it for three days at least. hope this helps!

I'm not one who is into the whole powder foundation craze. I use it to top over my liquid foundations and creamy concealer, but thats about it. Reasons? It's horribly drying and highlights those dry patches you never thought you had, it's known to rub off on clothing, and althought it helps, the coverage is never good enough.

MAC is a little different. I was worried about buying this product due to the fact that it's $27.50 USD. (thats plus tax). I read the reviews on MUA, and was a little intimidated. Breakouts, blotchy skin, horrible for skin, fiberglass ingredients, drying, no coverage, etc. But the good reviews kept me positive! I ran out of EDM Matte, and I wanted to dry something with more coverage that wouldn't take me so long in the morning. Plus I didn't want to wait for shipping. Yeah. EDM wasn't as great as the hype.

I just bought this two days ago and no breakouts. I used it for normal use, AND when I went clubbing for 5 hours in the hot sweaty place full of teenagers. If you're worried about buying this, think about the Studio Fix Fluid. I tried that first last year and I liked it, it gave good coverage, and it didn't break me out. If you used the Studio Fix Fluid and didn't break out, I'd hope this product would do the same. It did for me!

PROS: Great coverage, looks natural, I feel like I don't have to wear foundation underneath unless I want too! It's the first time I've ever worn powder alone. I wouldn't classify this as a powder at all. On the packaging it is called a Powder Plus Foundation. It's very matte, but it's not as drying at people say! I have combination with dry forehead and cheeks due to Tazorac. I simply washed my face with Dove soap bar, then exfoliated with St. Ives scrub, then apply either my Aveeno ultra-calming SPF15 moisturizer or when I need more, Clinique DDML (not the gel.) . It goes on very smoothly, and it doesn't dry or cake up for me that much. It lasts awhile, and its yet to oxidize on my skin! I asked the MAC SA and she said it's known to oxidize but she didn't think it would on my skin, and if it did it would just be a little darker. (She said it would look more like NC30 instead of NC25. There was barely any difference in the color when I went to look to see which to purchase) It's yet to see any dramatic difference. It doesn't smear or transfer. It doesn't slide off or move when I went clubbing. It doesn't apply cakey or powdery at all, because I use my bare minerals brushes (concealer & flawless face since the kabuki seems to irritate my skin) ! Instead it looks my own skin, just way more even.

CONS: The sponge is a no-no. That's just asking for a cake-y, powder-y apperance. I feel like I wasted some money on that. Sometimes the coverage isn't enough on it's own. Pimples still show through somewhat. It gets a glow-y look for me when I apply it, and it just goes down hill unless you add a finishing powder EVEN if you use prep+prime. I use EDM Finishing Dust, because I was a mineral makeup junkie. It definitely keeps you matte longer. Is there any SPF? I don't think so =( but I already wear SPF15. Theres titanium deoxide, but that doesn't mean there is SPF in it. And the number one ingredient? Guess. It would be Talc. Ugh. That's gotta hurt. I don't have too many problems with talc, but it's known to make my skin peely if I don't moisturize properly.

Overall I really like this product! It's not as drying as people say. You just need a clean moisturized face. I got a sample of the Prep+Prime (FINALLY!), but those shimmer particles make me want to run. I don't know if there is glycerin in it, but I need to find out because glycerin makes me breakout like a mother. The product is a great product for coverage and so far no breakouts! I'm very very impressed. Great product MAC! (: Don't believe everyone on the whole "orange face" look. It's either because they have the wrong shade or their wearing both the Fix Fluid & Fix. Both together DO look orange and heavy. Just buy one or the other. Or if you buy both, keep it sparingly. Thanks for a great alternative MAC!

on 5/26/2008 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It's good, but I really don't get the hype over it. I use it as a powder, with a powder brush, and it offers decent matte coverage, but I don't see it as a foundation. I'm on my second Studio Fix and maybe I'll buy another, but I don't see it as a wonderful product. Really not my HG. Guess I just don't like powder foundations.

on 5/24/2008 2:19:00 PM

Not that bad, my first foundation. I applied it with a wet sponge most times. Only beef I have with it is that it appeared blotchy on my skin as the day went on. Might try the fluid version soon (running out of my Clinique).

on 5/21/2008 10:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have been using this powder for about a year now and is VERY soft and doesn't make me breakout and has AWSOME coverage! HOWEVER it makes me look CAKEY! EEEKKK I will not buy this again!

on 5/20/2008 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I have a very uneven complexion, some red patches left over from when I had acne and some brown spots. I don't leave the house without foundation.
I had tried pretty much every single brand you can find at my local CVS with no luck till I went to the MAC counter. I bought the liquid and the powder studiofix in NC35.

I'm SOOO HAPPY.I've tried using both, as recommended by the SA, but I looked like I had a mask on, so now I only use the powder. I have to apply a good mosturizer every time before I put this on or my skin feels really dry. I do have to reapply at around lunch time though, but that doesn't bother me.
It gives me flawless skin and no breakouts. Totally worth the price.

on 5/20/2008 2:42:00 PM

This stuff is heavy heavy heavy! I would call this more of a foundation than a powder...definately would not suggest using it over foundation because it looks cakey..if you are going to wear this, wear this only..overall i think it is a nice, satiny & matte. Personally I like liquid foundation so I won't use this, but my friend uses it as her foundation and her face looks beautifulally flawless with it on. Also, I thought I would leave a tip on here: DO NOT keep the sponge on top of the powder, put it in the bottom. After awhile mine began to darken and look as if water had gotten in it. the rep at the MAC counter told me that if you leave the sponge on top of the powder, the powder will absorb the oil from the sponge that came from your face which will make you breakout because you're just transferring oil back & forth!

Video Reviews & Tutorials