January 31, 2015 | 2056 users online

Powder - MAC - Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2008 6:34:00 PM More reviews by mkinthecity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I heart Studio Fix! It is a great powder foundation with a matte finish. It covers pores and redness better than other products I have tried. The portability is another thing I really enjoy about this product. I think it's a terrifc product and although a lot of users have reported a drying effect or "cake" like appearance, I think application has a lot to do with this product. A little truly goes a long way! If I'm looking for a glowy, dewy look, I'm not going to use this product. If I want a polished, matte look with a delicate patina, this one gets a thumbs up... way up! Any powder foundation most likely will not be suitable for drier skin types (even the mineral powders that promise otherwise)... so if you are extremely dry, do stay away from this product. But if you have normal to oily skin, try it! Absorbs oils and lasts through the day beautifully!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2008 11:45:00 PM More reviews by madison555

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It is kind of cakey and powdery, but I think that's the point. It evens out skin tone beautifully. It is not good for day-time all-over coverage. It is good for photos and night-time.

I use this with the sponge it came with mainly to reduce redness under my nose. I also use it under-eye when I am too lazy to use a liquid concealer, but it magnifies wrinkles more than liquid concealer does.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2008 10:57:00 PM More reviews by nplant59

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love the studio fix. i have pretty good skin so it's jst what i need. it has a flawless matte finish. it looks really nice. i would deffinately buy it again!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/25/2008 8:36:00 PM More reviews by goodnightdarling

Alright, so I don't use this product on a regular basis, because I find that it makes me look cakey and matte, not really glowy.

I suggest you apply with a kabuki brush because the sponge made me look like I was applying stage makeup I looked so pale! This is always a backup product for me, because it's not the one I go to first, but it doesn't fail me if I need it for one day. It also controls oil well!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2008 8:20:00 PM More reviews by alka1

This stuff seriously rocks. I was scared to death to try it after reading all these reviews! Do yourself a favor and use this with a brush - the sponge is nice and soft, but it will apply the powder unevenly.
----
This powder feels very light and silky, doesn't leave my face chalky, and offers excellent coverage. I can build sheer layers, and it gives me the most beautiful coverage without looking heavy. It's important to apply sheer, even layers and build up coverage instead of just one thick, heavy layer.
----
I apply this with my 169, although the 187 and any kabuki brush will work equally as well. I just love using my 169 brush. Do yourself a favor and get this :)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/23/2008 1:19:00 PM More reviews by mermaid_jane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

In 1997, I was on Accutane (my skin was just borderline for it - my derm didn't want to put me on it but I begged him and he said OK - I am glad I did - b/c the results were amazing). Post Accutane my skin was flawless. I was so happy! My skin was soft and smooth and poreless looking. I didn't really need foundation - just a dusting of powder to balance me out and matte me. I started using MAC Studio FIX in 2000 when a bunch of my friends were raving about it. I loved it immediately. It was great going on, great to travel with (no loose powders to make a mess) and looked great on - flawless skin always. I just dusted it on w/my loose powder bruch and would use the sponge applicator it came with to touch up. Slowly but surely, I started to break out again. I thought it was just my acne coming back and that Accutane didn't work for me. I was averaging 1-2 cysts per month (I blamed my period/hormones) and was breaking out all the time - always filled w/blackheads, etc.... such a bummer but I thought this was just how my skin was and that was that. So for the past almost 8 years, I have been using this foundation, wishing for those early post Accutane days when my skin was perfect. Last fall (September 2007), I was in LA visiting friends and we went for facials at Ole Henrikson. I told the facialist (she was amazing!!!) about my skin and the first thing she asked me was, "What foundation are you using?" When I told her MAC, she told me it was the reason for all of my skin issues in the past almost 8 years! I was shocked and almost didn't want to believe her - she was also the one who introduced me to this website!!! When I came here and read all the review ons Studio Fix I was shocked! I loved Studio Fix! It was my HG, it was the only thing that covered my acne - but it was covering the acne it was causing! It took me from the time of the facial until the new year this past January to fully switch to Laura Mercier Mineral Foundation Powder (which I love but it's loose and can be messy). Needless to say, my skin is poreless, perfect, the blackheads have left, my skin looks like it did when I went off of the Accutane. Let it be known that I never go to bed w/o washing my face (even in my drunkest or most tired moments) and I have always done things like change my pillow case frequently and have always had obsessive skin care regimens. It was the Studio Fix that was breaking me out...

I will say this though - I have friends who never had any kind of acne and they still use SF and they love it. I am jealous! But I cannot go back there and use it again and break out again. I just don't suggest this for ANYONE who has acne prone skin at all - even the slightest bit prone to sensitivity.... BUT SF looks great when photographed and provides amazing coverage and even if your skin is not perfect, this will make it look perfect, but to those who are acne prone, please don't use.... I had almost 8 years of acne that I wouldn't have had if I had known...

I am giving this 3 lippies b/c it does provide great coverage and it does look great on... and the packaging and the price is great - especially when compared to things like Chanel and Armani.

21 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2008 10:37:00 AM More reviews by Live4Beauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I adore MAC. Yes, it is expensive but the products are well worth it. I have combination skin but it's pretty clear, I just get a little redness in my cheeks. This does a great job of giving coverage without looking like a mask. Just one swipe with the little puff it comes with is all you need. I'm also a little accident prone lol and I always drop products when I'm in a hurry and this has never broken (I'm not sure anyone else ever has that problem lol, but just incase) So all in all, I think this is fantastic.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2008 10:34:00 PM More reviews by cynwilson5

When I first tried studio fix i loved the coverage and feel it gave my skin. I understood what all the hype was about. It was just as good as Lancome's Dual Finish but about 20.00 cheaper. However, my skin started to look absolutely terrible. I've always had clear skin, until i used this product!!! After I stopped using it my skin cleared up thank god.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2008 9:26:00 AM More reviews by cute_band_geek

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I dont usually purchase MAC make up because I find it pricey and the girls working there always look like theyre wearing mountains of makeup. But i got a gift card for my birthday so I decided to try studio fix powder. They did a good job of matching my colour, and the coverage is excellent, I use a concealer underneath, and then this, and it looks great, in fake light that is. I find in natural light it looks dark, and makes my skin look dull. It also doesn't last more than a few hours for me, by the end of the day, its pretty much gone, and my nose area is all flaky and powdery looking. Another thing that bugged me, is it cost me $32, and it lasted 2 months, while most drugstore foundations last me at least 3-6 months. The coverage was really good, thats what kept me wearing it, but everything else is just a big bummer about this foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/20/2008 6:26:00 PM More reviews by emilycc

I have a lot of redness in my cheeks and it does a wonderful job to cover it up. I really like this product, and i'm already on my second one.