April 21, 2014 | 879 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2004 2:59:00 AM More reviews by protobiont

This is phenomenal! I have combination skin with a very OILY T-zone, very red and irritating looking cheeks. I've tried many of of EL's foundation (equalizer, so ingenious, and ideal matte) I love ideal matte and this (double wear). Ideal matte gives you a matte look while this one gives you a GLOWING and DEWY skin. It stayed on all day and makes your skin look so smooth!!! I also didn't think that it was that hard to remove it. I will recommend it to everybody who wants a flawless look. The colour "Linen" is very good at neutralizing the redness of your skin!

UPDATE: I really like the Double Wear. However, several problems have arisen. First, I always have little dry patches on my cheek and this foundation tends to settle in them. Second, it doesn't do well in natural light. So I'm going back to So Ingenious which blends in seamlessly and give a little more glow to the skin. Of course, I need to use a really good concealer with this since it has a sheer coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2004 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Maximum

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My HG foundation. Use Linen. I mix it with Olay complete spf 30 moisturizer so it is gives a sheerer coverage. Beautiful foundation. Covers flaws and lasts all day. Don't even need a concealer with this and I have hereditary very dark circles.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2004 4:57:00 PM More reviews by Blueness

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I cant believe it, but I am in love with this foundation!!!!!!! I am Asian w/yellow undertones, freckles and fair. Add dark undereye circles to the equation and you've got quite the chore ahead of you. I have this foundation in Linen and adore it. I apply Idealist before any other makeup so it may make the difference. One dollop for each section of my face (forehead, and each cheek) covers my whole face and once you set it with loose powder, this stuff *lasts*. Hint- no powder to set it and you get no staying power at all. I get pretty decent coverage with this stuff and I still have to blot a few times a day, but even with no makeup I have to do that so no loss there. Theres no real fragrance to it and no irritants so I'm in love. A couple things I've noticed about this stuff is that my eyebrows (I have to pencil in the shape- I have those wonderful sparse Asian eyebrow hairs) seem to go on smoother and even if I run my fingers across them, they dont smudge! My eyeshadow is also blending even easier since I've been using this! Beware tho- this will dry you up if you use it under your eyes unless you use waxy eye cream- I use Burts Bees eye cream which is basically like putting wax under your eyes but it's the perfect base for a foundation like this and the concealer. Its hell on earth trying to get this stuff off tho- I massage MD Forte III cleanser into my skin, let it sit for about 5 minutes to really penetrate the shield of makeup, then rinse, then go back with a warm wet washclothe and scrub, and *then* go back with Clinique's toner III to get all the last traces off my skin. No breakouts at all and since my skincare routine was already fairly lengthy I'm not really adding any steps- besides, I'm saving time in the mornings by not having to blend so much so it all evens out. This is my new HG foundation! **UPDATE 9/6/4** This broke me out in cysts all over- I traded it in for Lancome Adaptive in the shade Creme 02 and its much better.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2004 9:14:00 AM More reviews by brigette76

I have been using revlon colour stay liquid foundation for so many years now and whilst it gives excellent coverage and lasts ALL DAY, I have found that as I have gotten older my skin has become a lot drier and hence the Revlon colourstay was beginning to accentuate the fine lines that have started to appear around the eye area (I also suspect that it was responsible for the "blind"/cystic-type pimples that I occasionally get). I was quite particular with what I expected from my next foundation: as I was so used to the colourstay, I wanted my new foundation to provide excellent coverage and last all day. As a major downfall of the colourstay is that it gives a rather matte and dull finish, I wanted my next foundation to provide that "dewy glow" that most of us seem to crave. I knew that given these expectations, my search for a new "HG" foundation would be a difficult task. And experience proved me right: I tried numerous foundations before trying EL Double Wear - those that gave that "dewy glow" seemed to streak or "melt" off my face by the end of the day (e.g. Elizabeth Arden Flawless Finish Bare Perfection) whilst those that seemed to "stay in place" all day seemed to make my skin look flat, matte and dull and/or accentuated the fine lines on my face more so than the REV colourstay (e.g. Max Factor Lasting Performance). Just as I had about to give up on my quest to find my new "HG" foundation, I discovered EL Double Wear. Alas -this foundation has met all of my expectations! 1. As it promises on the label, it "stays in place" for about 12 hours (it would probably last even longer if you're not involved in strenuous activity or in a very hot/humid environment), 2. It creates a flawless finish and provides excellent (i.e. medium to full) coverage - in fact, I have found that I do not need to use concealer to cover up my dark under-eye circles and 3. Most importantly, it creates a marvelous "glow" that makes you look refreshed and rejuvenated without looking like an oil spill has just occurred over your face! I have in fact had comments from people at work about how I look as though I'm glowing. And my boyfriend (who always complains that I shouldn't wear too much make up (even though I don't!)) is also very impressed with my new choice of foundation: I think that it is because EL Double Wear makes my skin looks refined and flawless without that "make up" look. By the way, I have not changed my daily beauty and make up regime since changing my foundation, thus I know that the difference in the appearance of my skin is due to this foundation alone. FYI, I also brush on NARS Laguna Bronzer over my foundation (using Napolean Boudoir Brush) and I also apply Origins Look Alive moisturizer every morning about 5 min before applying my foundation. In summary, I am definitely impressed with this foundation and I would probably recommend it to people who have normal-dry skin (I'm not sure if it would last the distance on oily skin) that want a foundation that gives good coverage and a "dewy" look.
PS: Although I have raved about this product, I haven't given it 5 lippies as I want to test it out a bit more (e.g. after a Saturday night out) before I am completely satisfied that it worth this much! I'll keep you posted... UPDATE 18/8/04: I have now upgraded this foundation to 5 lippies as I absolutely luv it!!! I've received sooo many compliments about my complexion since I've started using this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2004 11:44:00 PM More reviews by DLN2179

I am 43 years old with blotchy skin. I have been using this foundation for the last 4 years. I've tried a few others and always come back because of the coverage. It is a little hard to remove. I use a make-up remover by Kiehls that works great at taking it off. Then I follow with my normal creamy cleanser and toner.

I mix three colors depending on how pink I am (use Retin A). They are Linen, Fresco and Pebble. Pebble mixed with Fresco gives me nice color in the summer when I use a sunless tanner.

And a foundation brush works great. If you haven't tried one yet, indulge yourself!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2004 8:20:00 AM More reviews by blush223

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great coverage and last, but this foundation broke me out and damaged my skin literally worse than any beauty product I've ever used. If you have any kind of skin sensitivity or are acne-prone (I'm actually not, normally) PATCH TEST IT FOR AWHILE FIRST. I used the proper cleansers, cleansing techniques, etc., to no avail. Even with clear skin, if I use it, I have little, lasting cystic acne pimples on my cheeks by the end of the day. Awful, pore clogging foundation, at least on me. If it doesn't affect your skin, it's a good, very lasting foundation (needs a better range of shades), but be careful if you have ANY sort of sensitivity. Took me forever to clear my skin up and get rid of the red blotches from the acne it gave me.
I decided to update my review because of all the reviewers insisting this won't cause breakouts, even on sensitive skin. TRY THIS for awhile before committing - patch test it. I'm not trying to put this foundation down, a lot of people love it, but it REALLY ravaged my skin. I've also had friends have the same thing happen to them - wierd cystic breakouts in strange places (by eyes, lips, on dry cheeks, etc.). If it doesn't break you out and you love it, enjoy! But I wish someone had warned me of the possibility of bad, wierd breakouts from this. I would have tested it first and found out it's not for me before I had to do through months of getting my skin back to normal.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2004 2:26:00 PM More reviews by DeeBeck

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The key to using this is using the Estee Lauder "foundation brush" and use it damp. Great coverage and stays on. A little goes a long way and using the damp brush makes it smooth and easy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2004 9:43:00 AM More reviews by gimme_chocolate

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

If you want full coverage and all day staying power, this is a great foundation. I've gone back to EL So Ingenious because I don't need this much coverage and don't like the mask-like feeling this gives me.

***UPDATE***
OK - I've gone back to this foundation because EL discontinued So Ingenious. Drat! Anyway, I've found that it helps to apply it with a foundation brush. I use Ben Nye brush cleaner to clean the foundation brush and EL Take It Away Cleanser for face.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2004 4:55:00 PM More reviews by pinkshellie

After searching far and wide for a foundation that is long-wearing and easy to apply, I have finally found it. I used to use Revlon Colorstay which stayed on for a long time but was difficult to apply. I would recommend this foundation for people who are looking for medium coverage. This stuff is amazing, when I work out and sweat it doesn't come off on my towel. I am truly impressed.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2004 1:06:00 AM More reviews by skjar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my favourite foundation ever, it's full-coverage and works excellent as a concealer. The consistency is on the thick side (I'd like to say 'rich'), the coverage lasts a long time, and it hasn't caused any break outs for me nor does it dry out my skin. This seems like it would be good to cover zits but it really does an awesome job under the eyes. And oh does it make a heavenly eyeshadow base. The only cons I have about the product are it doesn't come in a very wide colour selection and it seems to dry out quickly around the lid area. It's kind of a pain to open, I think they should have packaging similar to Jane's which is clean and more sanitary (: