MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 6/22/2008 8:14:00 PM

I had a sample of this and it lasted me long time. I eventually bought it because I realized $25 wasn't much to spend on a good foundation, especially compared to other high end foundations.

I had tried to be cheap and use Maybelline's instant age rewind, which I was happy with coverage but not from the breakouts.

I'm pretty sure MAC's Studio Fix Fluid has not made me break out.

I wish they would provide the pump for a cheaper price.

Update 7-1-08: I believe this is my HG foundation. So far anyway! I am NC15, oily, acne-prone skin and it still does wonders for coverage. I recently purchased MAC's 187 brush to apply it and I love it! I also do not set my foundation with powder and my face seems to do just fine! :)

Update 7-19-08:
Still loving it! I sometimes look at my face in natural sunlight without makeup and then look at it after I apply the foundation. The coverage is amazing!

Update 3-10-09:
I don't use this anymore. I'm too pale for their lightest shade. (I finally noticed how dark it was one day while in the sun.....). Also, perhaps this stuff did make my skin break out.
I've been using Neutrogena Skin Clearing foundation in blush ivory for about five months now. I dig it. No break outs with that one.

MAC SFF is probably a decent foundation for a non-acne prone individual who is not pale.

This is my HG of foundations, I wear NC25 and its a perfect match for my skin, the sales assistant was helpful when it came to choosing my colour. This foundation is medium to full coverage (depending on how much you use) but it never looks too cakey or anything, it covers really well and lasts brilliantly, i still get a little shiny on my nose in the middle of the day but less than i do with other foundations and its nothing a bit of blot powder wont sort out, it hasnt broke me out so far and ive used it a while. My only criticism is that you have to pay for the pump, i know its only £2.50 but when you are paying approx £19/£20 for a foundation i think the pump should come with it...but then again its well worth buying the pump as you use less product and its easier/quicker. Overall my favourite foundation ive ever tried (and ive tried tons!)

on 6/20/2008 4:22:00 PM

Let me start off by saying I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this product! The coverage is amazing for my combination skin. I tend to have very very oily skin, and this seems to cover that oil instead of multiplying it. The only downside is the semi-heavy feel of the foundation [and i use a lighter amount of it]. However, it is quite remarkable for two reasons. The first being it's colour match, it's as if i put my natural skin colour on, which is fantastic, [no colour lines]. And the second is that it transforms your skin! my blemishes turn from pink/red to the foundation colour. I can not stop raving about this product.

I've read a couple concerns of acne breakouts and that this product should not be worn on a daily basis, in my case it is the opposite for both. My combination skin is OILY [no joke] therefore I am prone to breakouts but the MAC studio fix fluid doesn't seem to be causing me harm and I've been using it DAILY for about 3-4 weeks. I love the coverage and appearance of it that's why I'm using it daily.

The last comment I have about this product is the container, which is completely useless, I am not sticking my brush or finger in it, it's just not hygenic, they should have made these with pumps! Either way I bought the MAC pump for a reasonable $5, however I would have preferred the product just be made with a pump to begin with.

Overall opinion: My favourite foundation to date!

on 6/20/2008 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I am very happy with this foundation. It is easy to apply, with a brush or a sponge. I prefer to use a sponge because it is easier to control and I don't get any streaks. In the winter I can use a bit more as I need more coverage, and in the summer, I can apply with a lighter hand. It can look a little powdery if you use too much though. It can also be a bit drying, so I just make sure to use it when my skin is feeling "normal". It gives me a great flawless finish that looks great in photo's and lasts all day. I would give it a 5 if it was a tad more moisturizing.

on 6/20/2008 2:15:00 PM

I purchased this as the colour under the shop lights looked great on me but I came home and hated it! It looked very heavy and I looked made up! I bought NC 35 - I have read other reviews where people have said to blend alot for it to look good so I will try this and post an update. However I am still on the look out for a natural foundation!

on 6/19/2008 3:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I LOVE this! I have been on a recent hunt for a new foundation after a foundation that I previously rated a "5" gave me horrible acne. This is wonderful. It covers well, has staying power and doesn't look cakey. I use the cream blush and blot powder with it for a flawless look. I also recently rated La Roche Posay, which I also really like; however, this has better coverage. I will use the La Roche for weekends and casual times; however, Studio Fix Fluid is almost certainly my HG. I have tried everything. I am finished with my hunt!!!

EDIT - The hunt continues. For some reason, it started to look orangy on me. I think as I lose the summer color, it continues to look worse. :(

on 6/14/2008 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I usually use Studio Tech creme foundation (NC30, NC35) but decided to try a liquid foundation. I asked the MUA which liquid foundation was best for oily complexions and she said, without hesitation, that Studio Fix Fluid was best. She matched me up with NC30 which I agreed was a good match. I like the consistency: not too thick, not too runny; I used a foundation brush and liked the way it applied. It was thick enough to cover redness and even my complexion, but it didn't dry too fast to make even spreading difficult. My skin is VERY oily and acne-prone, but has dry patches and redness from my acne treatment - but you couldn't tell once I put this foundation. After about 10 hours of wear, my skin is a little shiny - I don't expect miracles - but much less so if I were not wearing this foundation (along with MAC Blot powder too); it didn't feel heavy or cakey and it did not oxidize/change colour. Conclusion: Not the perfect foundation, but I like it better than my previous HG, Studio Tech. **EDIT** Many MUA-ers complain about the lack of pump: what I do is, after shaking the bottle upside down, I uncap and dip my foundation brush into the cap; the foundation in the cap is more than enough for me.

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

covers well, blends well. I was very suprised I never thought I would be using a liquid. I went into MAC because my face seemed to be getting drier and the Studio FIx seemed to be emphasizing that. You cant even tell I am wearing foundation when I wear this it just evens out my skin and covers imperfections. I had a great MAC artist who was patient with me.
This matches my skin perfectly and as a CCC thst is not easy. going into a drug store is not even an option for me.

THANKS DALLAS NORTHPARK MAC ARTISTS.

on 6/9/2008 10:39:00 PM

This is one of my favorites foundations. I wasnt too keen on it at first as i didn't realise that it is quite a thick fluid- but if used spearingly it's fantastic. It's in my top three along with Napoleon stick foundation and my all time favorite La Prairie skin caviar foundation.

What i love so much about this product is that it gives me a great glow, a nice matt finish and it covers all the bits i want to cover without having to use concealer or a powder over the top to seal it... it also doesn't transfer onto garments easily. It worth about $55au which is moderate.
I can honestly say that this product has restored my faith in fluid foundations.

LOVE IT

on 6/8/2008 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

i was pleasantly surprised by this foundation..i use nc40 and for a foundation that doesn't stick completely to your face (like color stay) and.. has that normal finish about it.. it s a pretty good foundation.. (and ive tried all).. it covers my scars and provides a natural finish.. used with a good thick foundation brush.. this can really allow u to look natural and polished.. just remember to cleanse and dont give in to the people at the counter who will most likely suggest a darker color..
; )