October 24, 2014 | 1776 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 2 of 5 on 3/10/2005 3:07:00 PM More reviews by AndiSue1970

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this in a small try me kit from QVC. I did not like it at all. It was runny and did not produce any kind of bubbles or lather. I have sensitive skin and it irritated it and made it red. It did take off my make-up and any surface dirt. Buy Cetaphil cleanser, it's a whole lot cheaper and does the same thing with a lot less irratation.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2005 5:45:00 PM More reviews by beefjerky

Never have I washed my face with anything that left it soft and moisturized, while taking off every trace of makeup. Will definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2005 12:10:00 PM More reviews by BeachGem

This is just an okay cleanser. I agree with other reviewers about the bottle not being the best. It doesn't really make me feel like I am getting my skin squeaky clean and I often need to use an eye makeup remover in addition.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2005 6:06:00 PM More reviews by pmawyer

Good cleanser. Takes off make-up and leaves my skin feeling soft and clean. The bottle is bulky but workable. Lasts quite awhile.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2005 2:21:00 AM More reviews by Supa

Great cleanser. Takes off everything a cleanser should take off without drying out skin. Not the best cleanser, but it does it's job well. The bottle is a little bulky (it's not squeezable), but the formula is thin enough so this isn't a big problem. I'd repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2005 2:21:00 PM More reviews by Opossum

My very favorite cleanser. Doesn't over-dry my skin, but still takes off the grime of the day. It is emollient without leaving a greasy residue. Seems just about perfect for my combination skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2005 5:47:00 PM More reviews by LoriW

Very nice cleanser. Takes off all my makeup (although I don't wear much) and smells great! Doesn't leave any tightness either.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2005 4:54:00 PM More reviews by CarolStarr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Man this product is terrible smelling. Same with the original HIAJ. But if you can get passed that, it is a very good emulsifying cleanser. Much better than Serious Skin Care's olive oil which smells like salad dressing and is super greasy on the skin. This does the job, but the scent, no matter what Christina Carlino says is hardly pleasant.

But it works and removes make up. I just wish they would take out whatever makes this cleanser smells the way it does.

If you can get passed the off putting scent it is a good cleanser to try.

Editing to add: Yes, I still don't like the scent of this product. But Philosophy's Purity Made Simple is one of the best facial cleansers out there, bar none. And I agree with the reviewer who doesn't like to buy multiple products. Purity will remove your make up, tone the skin, and also remove stubborn mascara. I just wish they would take the ingredient out that makes the product smell bad.
I also wanted to add--yesterday on QVC Mrs. Carlino mentioned that coming soon there will be a SIXTY-FOUR ounce pump bottle of Purity Made Simple. I have not even carved a dent in the thirty-four ounce pump bottle! That will easily be a two year supply even if you use it to clean your brushes as some users here recommend. Hate the scent, but love, love, love this product!
2010 Edit: The smell has grown on me. But some people have said the ingredient deck changed so therefore the scent has changed? I have tried other cleansers and I'm back to Purity. It just works. Now, if you wear mineral make-up, I find that Purity doesn't remove it all unless you scrub in the shower, and you have to do it for more than 10 seconds, massage your face for at least a minute, and when you do the toner test you will find that there is no make-up on the pad. And use lukewarm to warm water.

2011 Edit: I am so over Philosophy. Should be noted that the company is now owned by Coty. QVC seems to get "bad batches", Purity sold at Sephora (including @ JcPenney) seems better. This cleanser is not cutting it for me anymore. The older (and drier) that my skin gets, the more it cannot tolerate a Philosophy Purity clean. Whether that has to do with my age or the "iffyness" of the product I don't have time to figure out. I don't wear enough eye make-up to justify buying this as an eye make-up remover.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2005 3:17:00 PM More reviews by blackbird23

I've been using this cleanser for about 3 - 4 months now and I like it a lot. I've really seen a difference in my skin, both in texture and clarity. It doesn't foam (which I like), contains botanical ingredients (and a minimum of chemicals) and you don't need much to thoroughly cleanse your face. I also like that it doesn't strip the skin, but leaves your face clean, but fresh and dewy. I'll admit, I find Philosophy's packaging a little cheesy...but the products I've tried so far really work.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2005 10:32:00 PM More reviews by lindsey8

I really like this - my skin doesn't get dry but it cleans very well, and I like the smell! Will definitely re-purchase.