April 20, 2014 | 964 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2004 5:16:00 PM More reviews by TrishaLynn

After reading rave reviews on iCompact and MUA, I decided to try this foundation earlier this year. The lightest color in the cool family is Fresco, and it was just too darn dark for me. I even brought it back to the counter to see if the MUA could do a better job at finding a match for me with no luck. So, I decided to continue with it. It smelled very odd to me for one thing...very chemically in a very bad way. The bottle has a traditional open top, which I found messy...a pump would be better, cause once you get this around the top and if some drips down the side of the bottle, forget it. Not even rubbing alchohol will get this stuff off the bottle. Then, I realized, like an earlier reviewer mentioned, that this stuff was giving me unbearable pimples on my cheeks. I was so upset, because despite the wrong color match, it did give my skin a nice finish. So, I went off it for a while and then tried it again with the same result. Never again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2004 3:20:00 PM More reviews by Boxerface

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I search for foundations but I alwasy fall back on EL DW.
I have combination skin. I break out easily but my skin is very light in color. I have tried all of EL's products but this one is the best for me. If you have acne, blemishes or a ruddy red complexion. Doublewear will cover anything and it lasts all day. All day long with nothing to touch up. However, once you try Doublewear you may never try any other make up. I find I get more compliments when I wear my Doublewear. I happen to use the bone #1. And other times Linen #2 I am told that it is hard to find the right shade. Take a friend with you when you shop so you can have an honest opinion.

For me this foundation has great coverage with a flawless finish. I only use a foundation brush to apply it because it is heavy. With a brush you can have a feathering light approach to putting it on. A little goes a long way. I also use the So Ingenious powder to add a sheer soft touch to finish it all off.

I would not recommend this foundation if you have perfect toned skin or dry skin. My best friend would never use Doublewear. She has beautiful skin. If you have great skin, you might want lighter coverage. You would be the best candidate for EL's So Ingenious. Or even Revlon or Lo'real products. But for those of us with a little acne or reddish spots, or uneven skin tones we need more coverage.

Best of luck. This is one I really love.

I just want to add that I recently started to use the Linen color. And the Sand color. At first I told the sales girl this was going to be too dark but WOW it is the most perfect shade. I love the Sand. It matches better and blends well.

Update:
Still loving ELDW, my mac shade is nc20 if this helps. Currently using Linen but as summer is approaching plan to add sand again. Lasts all day. I do want to add that I am on Differin and my skin is dry from this RetinA product. This means I need more moisture under the ELDW. The lasting power is not as long when you have dry skin. You might need a moist spray or even a good hydrating primer prior to using the ELDW. I also use Lucidity loose powder. This is great as it conteracts the matte looks and creates more of a shimmer.
ELDW does not give a dewy finish. It gives a soft matte finish which is perfect for oily combo skin and those that want to hide acne.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2004 5:32:00 PM More reviews by Blueness

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

If I wanted to, I could sleep in this stuff and wake up with my full face makeup still intact- and couldnt get this stuff off even if I chiseled at it!! Bah. Covered everything the way I wanted it to but after several rounds of cysts and huge zits in weird places that would never normally sprout the evil things (by my EYE?!?! Wtf is that about??) that *would not freakin heal and go away*, I said goodbye FOREVER to DoubleWear and all of its friends, Ideal Matte included. If you have fairly good skin and do not intend to wear foundation for more than 2 hours a day and have skin that can breathe under cement, then this is definitely for you.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/22/2004 3:51:00 AM More reviews by reginarn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this look of this foundation when I first apply. As the day goes on, it makes my skin look so dry and flaky. It does stay on all day, but it dries my skin so badly.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2004 2:36:00 AM More reviews by busymama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

best foundation I have ever used. it's truly matte and opaque but the colors are so natural. it's the only foundation that will last and stay put all day and night. I have very oily skin. better than all of the new formulations that they keep coming out with.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2004 10:36:00 PM More reviews by 1maris

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this foundation. I tend to use colorstay natural or something less formal for everyday, but for work or going out this is my HG. Tried it in Bone at first but it is for very light skin. Linen is a nice yellow toned light/med/ color.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2004 4:29:00 PM More reviews by kaycee8921

This is the best foundation I have ever tried. I have tried ALL high end brands... literally! If you have problem skin (like I do) this will stay on all day and cover everything! I get compliments on my complexion only when I wear this foundation... if they only knew what was underneath it!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2004 2:16:00 PM More reviews by Ckrats

This is a good foundation that stays put (even on oily skin like mine) with great coverage. The colour match is ok, but tends to turn darker after a few hours. The reason I don't like it is that it is extremely difficult to wash off and you need to ensure you really takes your make up off very well to rid of all the traces. For someone like me, with tendency to get clogged pores and blemish prone, I find this a little worrying.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2004 10:12:00 AM More reviews by AliDawn823

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So far, my HG foundation. Stays all day, even though my very oily skin. Blends easily, at least on my face. The only thing is that it seems to turn a little darker right after I put it on but it still matches me skin fine (I wear Pebble). Will definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2004 10:05:00 PM More reviews by luvsbrdeddragns

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am VERY impressed w/ the staying power of this foundation!! I took a heavy nap and NOTHING had budged! It doesn't feel masky or look heavy. Terrific coverage. HG status (for now)
EDIT: After wearing this foundation for a while, I was breaking out in cystic acne, worse than usual. After doing a bit of research on MUA, I have found others who have the same complaint. Now that I have stopped using it, cysts are gone. That really sucks, because this foundation was awesome.