MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I can't believe this product has such horrible reviews...

I'm light-skinned - a NW15 according to MAC...I purchased this product one shade darker than I should have (NW20) and thought initially that this product wouldn't work for me, but I was wrong - after switching up my color to something that DID work for me, I have found that this makeup is fantastic...
It leaves you with a matte finish, a little does go a long way, and applied with a MAC 187 brush, it gives me movie star looking skin...i would absolutley buy again, and find the packaging a little difficult to manage, but the way i use it is to take a cotton swab, pull off all of the cotton at one end, so you're just left with the stick, stick it into your foundation bottle and drop the liquid you pulled out onto the back of a CD (i use the back of CD's as makeup palettes - i saw it on youtube : ), after that - a little dab with my 187, blending, set with powder and you're good to go...i took off a lippie b/c of the price even though a little lasts you a long time, it's still a hefty price to look at while you're in the store.

see if you can go with a sample of this stuff first, that way you can test it out...other than that - i would proclaim this my HG foundation.

on 7/30/2008 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For years I've been a Double Wear foundation user, liked the finish but hated how hard it was to wash it all off. Decided to give SFF a try because the MAC MA felt it was the best choice for my oily skin. Well, after going through a generous sample, I bought a fullsize bottle and have been using it for about a month now. I am now officially off EL DW and this has become my go-to product. First of all, I have to say that this is hands down the best foundation I've tried to really achieve a matte finish to my makeup. This stuff truly lasts all day long, and looks almost as flawless as it did when I first put it on in the morning. Know how you look at someone who looks like they have on perfect makeup and wonder if their face is really flawless or if they just have good makeup on? I've concluded that the secret is MAC foundation. This stuff makes my face look *almost* flawless to the point where you have to look hard to see if it's my skin or my makeup. Dont' get me wrong, you can still tell that I'm wearing makeup, but it looks almost believeable. Set with loose blot powder, the look lasts all day, helps keep my face matte and minimizes the look of my pores. Now, I do still have to blot and powder eventually, but the makeup isn't sliding off my face - blotting and powdering freshens the look for me and it looks almost as good as the morning. (With my oily skin, I don't really expect not to have to blot eventually) It *is* a bit difficult to remove, but not as bad as EL DW for me, and it is by far easier to work with in terms of application. I am not surprised that many people claim to break out with this foundation - you really need to make sure it is thoroughly cleansed off the face, because it is truly long-wearing. So far, I haven't broken out, but then again, I don't wear full makeup every day, and when I do, I really try to do a thorough job in cleansing. My only criticism of this product is that it does not include a pump dispenser, which I feel is a necessity for product metering and sanitation. I did buy the pump separately, (for $4) but it is rather annoying that MAC does not simply include one by default. 1.5 pumps is just about the right amount to cover my whole face, 1 pump when mixing with moisturizer to sheer it down. Not yet my HG (I don't think I will ever find an HG foundation), but will keep repurchasing while I keep searching.

on 7/28/2008 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

first off if you are worried about spending the $25 it really isn't THAT bad because the bottle lasts a really, really long time. Expecially since you don't need that much.- a little goes a long way.

i have combination skin. It's expecially oily around my t-zone (forehead and nose area) well, this product doesn't help minimize the oil at all. infact, it made me feel MORE oily. (and i was using a foundation primer) and i had to use blot sheets (oil absorbing sheets) throughout the day

also this foundation comes off very easily. I gave my boyfriend a hug when he was wearing a white t-shirt and i left an orange looking spot on it. (how embarressing...lol) also, if you sweat- you will have a ring around your shirt collar (gross.)

AND when you apply it at first it looks cakey, then when it sets in it looks much better. BUT it won't look that way all day long. The "flawless" look leaves after about 2 hrs.

Overall- i would suggest this product for going out at night or for a special occasion. But, definately not for an everyday use.

hope i helped
=]

on 7/28/2008 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

I know I'll be unpopular with this one but sometimes, the truth does hurt.
Recently during free shipping I tried MAC s/f powder and fluid foundations for the first time. So sure I'd love it despite the warning reviews, I ordered 2 powders and 2 fluids.
The verdict: Not cheap. Does not last 2 full hours without oxidizing horribly. We're talking HOT hot loud orange mess. Then the fading to dull orange (only brightened by the oil slick underneath) and shifting texture. The matte finish does not hold oil for even a minimal amt of time and melts into oblivion unless you constantly babysit your face with a mirror and blot and repowder all dang day. Before I'm out of the garage, I had to blot. I work a real job, I'm busy and don't have time to fool with makeup all day. Like the s/f powder, this fluid mess also broke me out in a fierce way. At these prices, I expected much better treatment from Mr. MAC.
I've the same full, matte coverage - but True and Lasting as advertised - in drugstore brands at a fraction of the cost.

Not convinced MAC is not the $h!#? See my review on s/f powder and give me another shot.

on 7/27/2008 9:15:00 AM

This stuff is oil free....and LAST ALL DAYYY.....from am till pm....whenever I'm sweating,or get into the pouring rain when I try to get in some buildings from the parking lot.....
Actually, I realy love how this stuff fells like my second skin,and looks sooo NATURAL....but still covers my imperfections....
My skin looks flawless and great all day long....
It doesn't clog pores....doesn't cause any breakouts...and easy to remove......It feels very light and really nice on my skin....my skin can breathes easily....
I only need A LITTLE with this...just one drop...and then I pat this thing on my face with my fingers....and it goes on realllllllyyy smooth...

Hey MAC...I'm in LOVE with your SFF!definitely will repurchase!
The only downside is...the packaging,I prefer with pumps....

on 7/25/2008 3:56:00 PM

i'm bobbi brown sand, and got this in nc20. i read up on the reviews and decided to get the pump together (which the ma seemed to have forgotten to scan, or maybe she just decided to give it to me free :D). the color match is great, i think even better than my bobbi brown moisturizing cream compact foundation (for reference i'm asian w yellow undertones). the coverage is also very good and i need a lot less hilighter/concealer.
i have dry combination skin and use estee lauder's cyber white EX power protector spf 50 as a primer. i apply the foundation with bobbi brown's foundation brush (really good brush! no streaks :D). i pump a drop on the back of my for each of the four areas: forehead, cheek, cheek, nose+chin. i find the the formula quite matte, so it's important to spread the foundation quickly. i pick up the foundation with the brush and dab around the intended area then blend. if you don't do this a lot of product will get wasted cos it dries on your hand before you can use it.
this lasts me an entire day. i don't have to powder when i just put it on in the morning unless im covering some zits with concealer. normally i'll just powder once with mac blot powder/loose to touch up in the afternoon.

on 7/25/2008 3:54:00 PM

on 7/24/2008 7:05:00 PM

After reading some reviews on MUA, I decided to splurge. I went to the MAC store and was matched up to NC 25. The MAC makeup artist(?) primed me, put on the foundation, and sealed it in with some powder and a spritz of water.

Although it looked a teensy bit cakey at first, it became to have a nice natural glow with awesome coverage. I had a random, severe break out earlier this year all over and haven't found a liquid foundation that has been matte but didn't cause further break out (I was using Lancome but it was too sheer). We'll see how well I do it tomorrow when I try to put it on, but for the first time today, I was able to pick my hair up and expose my pseudo-clear cheeks.

on 7/24/2008 7:17:00 AM

I just bought this recently... I had to choose this over the HyperReal foundation with SPF 15 (Which gives a dewy, more natural look) because of it's price. Its about 3 dollars cheaper than the HyperReal, and the price won me over...

I think next time I will probably get the HyperReal. I've always had bad experience with matte foundations... they always make me seem to look very cakey because my dry skin is emphasized with the visibility of flakes.

I am an NC30 and I thought that would be way too dark on me but it blends in pretty well. When the MA did it for me, it looked pretty evident on my skin... I could see the cakiness, but that was probably because they did not blend it in well. Then, I tried it at home using only a VERY tiny bit from the cap with a sponge, and the results were amazing. The appearance was matte (I think anyone could easily tell) but I did not appear flaky or dry at all.

This is a great product, and should only be used a little at a time, otherwise the appearance of too much matte will result. I won't be repurchasing this because it will last a very long time and I really want to go for a more natural look next time.

on 7/21/2008 4:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Just tried this foundation for the first time today.
I suppose I should try it more than once before reviewing, but first impressions count.
I was color matched to NW20 which is a great match for me.
Coverage is great, I have some broken capillaries in my cheeks which it covered pretty well.
I agree with other reviewers though, it is quite thick and looking closely in the mirror you can tell you have makeup on, where as my chanel makeup seems to blend flawlessly with my skin.
I finished the foundation with studio fix powder in C3 to set foundation and reduce shine.
After having it on all day my cheeks are shine free but not my forehead. Very shiny!
I don't mind this foundation though, it feels really light on to me and I have sensitive skin which has had no bad reaction.
I would be willing to buy this and give it a go.
Not sure why the bottle just doesn't come with a pump though. Would be handy.