MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 10/4/2008 5:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

i really like this product!!! i have been using mineralize satin finish...but i think i like much more this one..because you can create that dewy look just adding strobe cream or something like that ..like the stila one.. and is just the perfect coverage bc its buildable .. i have normal to dry skin.. and i live in texas..so its dryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy very dry here.. but i use moisture lush cream or cliniques online moisturizer..and let set and dry for like 10-15 mins.. and then apply SSF..OMG i love it.. im NC25...

on 10/3/2008 7:45:00 PM

I love MAC foundations (they were the first non-drugstore makeup I ever wore and my first love) and when I found out that there was a liquid version of Studio Fix I had to try it. I had mixed feelings about the powder version (see my review of it for more info), but liked it enough to keep wearing it. I was hoping that the fluid version might solve the problems I was having with the powder and I was right.

Studio Fix Fluid is a thick liquid foundation and gives medium, buildable coverage (I think it could give lighter coverage with a lighter hand and a damp foundation brush or sponge). I tried applying it with my MAC 190 foundation brush and with clean fingers and liked the look of both.

It took very little blending to get Studio Fix Fluid to look natural on my skin (I got this in NW20 since my old NW15 foundations have been too light on me lately and the match is excellent), even when I leaned in close to the mirror and looked at the finish (unlike the powder version, where it was obvious I was wearing makeup). The coverage was heavier than my MAC Select Tint but didn't look "heavy" or thick on my skin and it still let my skin's natural texture show through somewhat; enough to make it look natural and nowhere near enough to make me look like I was wearing a mask.

I do have to say that this may not be the best choice of foundations if you have oily skin, but for me (my skin is combination/sensitive, but I don't have that much of a problem with oiliness), it works well.

I'd prefer if this came with a pump (although I hear it's possible to buy one for it; I feel like MAC should include one in the package for those who prefer it rather than having to buy it separately and pay extra) so that I didn't have to either dip my fingers into the lid or pour a small amount out onto the back of my hand (which makes me nervous that too much is going to come out or I'm going to make a mess.) The glass bottle also bothers me a little. It feels nice and looks upscale, but it means I have to be extra careful not to drop it or chip it.

on 10/2/2008 3:43:00 PM

i got the pump for this foundation and it wasn't so great. it was hard to control how much to pump. depending on my skin on certain days, it would look good otherwise it would look very patchy. the staying power isn't so great either. i have somewhat oily skin but i thought mac claims that it has good staying power.

on 9/30/2008 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Bought this because i heard a lot of good things about it, but i am not impressed at all. i used prep and prime and mixed it in with my foundation, it gives good coverage but it just looked way to heavy. It also broke me out, i've stopped using it for about 2 weeks now and my face is pretty much clear now. i would not recommend this product.

on 9/30/2008 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I have been using Studio Fix Powder + for five years. I'm finally sick of the ghostly look in pictures so I got a sample of the fluid formula at the MAC counter. I tried it all day today with blot powder over it and am amazed at how well my face stayed put together. A stellar product that I will purchase when the sample runs out. I got it in NW45 and it matches my skin to the letter. There are not any lines of demarcation or anything. I used a foundation brush instead of my Sephora stippling brush because I am traveling at the moment and don't have all that on me. This just might trump MUFE's HD as my new favorite liquid foundation because of the mattifying factor. Being an oily girl, that is a feat. Other than that, MUFE has a pump, and no SPF. Hmmm...
UPDATE 10/04/08***
I love this! I look so flawless with this on and it is the perfect color. Nobody can tell I have makeup on. This is excellent. I apply it with my Sephora foundation brush.
UPDATE 09/21/10***
I am still in love with this foundation. It looks soooo beautiful in pictures. I positively glow. Now that I have Palladio Rice papers I keep it looking fresh all through the day. I don't even need to wear concealer with this. I've been trying Estee Lauder Double Wear and while that looks great all day and prevents oil break through, I prefer the look of SFF in pictures. And I have never found a better color match.
UPDATE 08/16/15
This is the best foundation of all time. Total HG.

on 9/29/2008 5:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Love this product--it has yet to fail me!! Great coverage w/out looking overdone. I apply it with my fingers and when I want a glowy complexion I mix it with strobe cream-works like a charm. It's silky, spreads easily, and blends nicely. I love that they have a variety of shade choices, so mine is a close match if not an exact one. I have no problems with that horrid detectable jawline color separation. This is a keeper.

on 9/28/2008 7:24:00 PM

I've been using this product everyday for three years. I've yet to find a better foundation (for me) and I have shopped around for years (I do like studio tech, but I go through that too quickly so it's not worth it). I'm NC20 with a LOT of acne scarring. I still get breakouts so I love the coverage that studio fix provides me. It's not a perfect match for me, I find that sometimes it looks a bit orange, but it's the best I've found so far.

on 9/27/2008 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Entered the new MAC store. Asked for a foundation that works like Revlon Colorstay but in my color (which RCS does not have), tootsie roll brown with yellow undertones. The sales lady took NC50, did half my face and it matched my chin, outsides of my face and forehead exactly. The middle of my face is a shade or two lighter. I was surprised it looked so good. Bought it off the bat vowing to return it the second I was sure it was going ot break me out. This is day one wearing it. I can't really tell if it has amazing coverage because my skin is just about blemish free and the color is so perfect it's invisible to the eye to see where the make up begins and my skin ends. So far so good though. I had it on all day and it didn't melt at all. It looks so natural. I used my fingers to apply but will bpe buying a make up brush to execute coverage to perfectioin.

3 WEEK REVIEW
If you're buying this with the notion that its going to be anything like Revlon Colorstay with it's amazing flawless coverage and staying power be warned, the coverage of this liquid foundation is very poor. If you have greasy skin you willl not like this. It has a grease like feel when applied. Its not bad for a light coverage foundation but it isn't buildable and before half the day is through it will have dissapeared off your face. I love the shade, though it darkens a little once on but evening wear this isn't it unless you practically paint it thick on. It also gets on everything. Can I also say that MAC not selling the pump with it is ridiculous. A total rip off having to buy one for $7 extra.

on 9/27/2008 5:45:00 PM

I love this foundation! I use NC15 which is the lighest shade, and the first shade i have ever got to match my skin perfectly (most brands don't make a foundation light enough for my skin). The staying power is great. The only down side is that my skin got a little shiny after a few hours, but i do have an oily tzone. The coverage is also fantastic. I usually have a few spots, and this covered them up great.

on 9/26/2008 10:13:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I LOVE this foundation!! The first MAC mua used the mineralize liquid on me but I wasnt happy with the coverage so another mua at another MAC store told me I should be using this instead. It covers much better for me and stays on pretty well throughout the day.

.....Edit...I had been noticing flaking and bumps on the sides of my face and on my forehead. I stopped using this foundation and the problem went away. I tried it again a few weeks later and the same bumps and flakeys came back. Since I have totally stopped using this the problems have never reoccurred so I can't give a good review on this now :(. Too bad because it was the best lasting foundation I'd used