Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

I really wanted to love this stuff. On a trip back home to my mother's house, she remarked that it was time I "upgraded" to a more adult skincare line. So I decided to buy the Philosophy kit (Hope in a Jar, Hope in a Tube, Purity cleanser, Serum, + the Microdermabrasion samples) for the winter skincare season. The moisturizer is probably the best of the lot, so I will give it that. But I broke out in a HUGE rash of cystic acne (the really deep big zits) and (unlike my brother) I've NEVER had a bad acne problem even as a teen. I couldn't believe it! This was supposed to be great stuff right? SO DISSAPPOINTED. I immediately went back to my Alpha Beta Hydroxy stuff from Sally's Beauty Supply and am in the third week of trying to get my skin back to normal and clear. I can't believe this--either it was the current stress of my job, or the Philosophy products, and since stress is ever present, I've got to blame Philosophy. Such a shame, but this stuff is NOT for me.

When I don't use my EL Perfectly Clean Splash Away cleanser, I most often will use this one. I even purchased a HUMONGOUS bottle of it from Nordstrom which was an Anniversary Sale special. It is a nice, mild cleanser that doesn't cause any problems with my skin, gets it clean, doesn't leave residue, and leaves my skin soft and clean feeling.

This is my HG of facial cleansers. I have been using this for a year and I just love it. It really eats my makeup and it doesn't burn my eyes!! I will be using this forever.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have been using this for about 3 weeks now...and my skin has never felt better! I am a licensed Esthetician, so I have tried a lot of expensive skin care products, and I have to say this is by far the best cleanser I've ever used on my very dry skin. $20 is not a bad price to me, because you don't really need to use a lot of product, so it really goes a long way (the 8oz bottle will probably last me another couple of months). The only drawback would be if you have combo/oily skin you're probably used to a foamy cleanser - this doesn't really foam, it just emulsify's. It takes all of my makeup off, smells wonderful - I'm a sucker for lavender :) - , and doesn't make my skin feel tight afterwards, which is a great thing for people with dry skin! :) I think I've found my HG cleanser! Will definately repurchase!!

I got this in the Philisophy Winter Survival kit and I really like it so far. Very gentle and not a too strong smell. Id definately repurchase.

I was hesitant after reading the reviews here, but I was desperate to try anything on my horribly dry winter skin. I have been breaking out like mad, and I suspected that it was more from my skin being so dry than anything else. I stumbled across a sample of this and Hope in a Jar (see my review for that) and thought that I had nothing to lose. Well, I gained a lot! I used this for the past 4 nights and morning and my skin is so clear and soft and not dry and flaky at all. I'm used to cleansers that don't lather, so that didn't bother me, but unlike most non-lathery cleansers, this one rinsed totally clean! I still followed with my Thayer's Rose Toner even though you don't really have to, and a lot less dirty stuff came off than usual. I'm not sure how this might work out in the summertime, but for winter, or for people with dry skin, I think this one is really a winner!

To me, this was an okay cleanser. I really didn't like the smell(kind of Ivory soap-ish) and the texture(light & milky... no foam) was not my preference.

However, it does what it claims, for the most part. Was a bit too drying... my face felt tight afterwards. Topically, my skin felt normal/soft to the touch, though. Odd feeling, really.

Most of my makeup was removed on the first try. It even took care of the mascara. I didn't get the eye-burn that others here have mentioned, either.

The package is cute(as are most Philosophy products).

Not for me, though. I'll stick with my Dove soap & Oil of Olay Anti-Aging/Anti-blemish cleanser & OoO clarity toner combination.

However, Is till have a couple weeks worth left. I'll use it up. If my opinion changes, I'll add an edit.

EDIT 12/08/2005 : Brought up the rating a notch. I got used to the smell, the tightness stopped happening, and it really did do a great job cleansing.
EDIT AGAIN 12/30/05: I ran out of this, went without it for a few days and MISSED it terribly. My other cleansers(which I was perfectly happy with before) paled in comparison. I ordered a 16oz from sephora and had it sent next day delivery. Has become a HG. I can't believe I originally gave this a bad review. HG! continued >>

I love this because it even takes my mascara off and all I do is a one step cleansing. Safe for all skin types, though oily skin may not like the consistency. Creamy texture that emulsifies when wet so it removes everything. Great for dry skins because there is no stinging after rinsing.

I've been using this for about a month, and I want to say to anyone turned off by the scent--- GIVE IT TIME! I generally use foamy, gentle cleansers. I decided to try this after running out of my tube of Olay, b/c I enjoy my other Philosophy products, and they have good hype for this on QVC. At first, I was soooooo grossed out by the smell!!! I mean horrified! But I didn't want to go through the hassle of mail order return, so I stuck with it. After only 3 days or so, the scent actually started to appeal to me, and now I actually find it quite calming and pleasant. Purity is really a very nice cleanser, and as other reviewers have noted, it's GREAT at removing makeup. I REFUSE REFUSE REFUSE to use a separate makeup remover, and with this I don't need to, and can get my face make-up free with one wash!. I only wish it was foamy, but that's personal taste. I would recommend.

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

It's a lovely cleanser, but don't believe the claims to "melt" your makeup off. I can still see traces of makeup on the facecloth I use to rinse it off. Other than that, this must be the first wash off cleanser I have used that doesn't dry out my combo skin. I only need to use a 5 pence piece size so this will last for ages. Also pleased that it comes in a hygienic squeeze bottle. Knocked off one lippie though because it's incredibly expensive in the UK.