Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

3.6

Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Mica, talc, PEG-10 Dimenthicone, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Phenyl, Trimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Lauroyl Lysine, Dimenthicone Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Caprylate, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Cyclohexacyloxane, Methylisothiazolinone, Sorbitan Sesquileate, Silver Oxide, Propylene, Carbonate, Parfum (fragrance), Methylparaben, Fagus Sylvatica Extract (Fagus Sylvatica Bud Extract), Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, [+/- CI 77891 )titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 12/21/2008 12:25:00 AM

I have been a MakeUp For Ever user for quite sometime now. I've experienced my fair share of foundations too, from the pricier of Dior & Vincent Longo to the everyday of CoverGirl, powders to creams to liquid base, and everything in between, I found that this brand of products, especially their Foundation collection has been the best decision I've stuck with. They have quite an extensive collection of colors to match most skin tones (of course there'll always be a few that don't quite agree) and with their medium cover, I do like the option of being able to layer to my desired shade with having to worry I've put too much on. The medium coverage also gives me the option to not have to wear additional concealer on top. Usually a coat does the trick in hiding most of my face's uneven aspect without feeling as though I've got a ton of make up on my face. One thing I would like to mention is I don't quite understand the "HD" aspect of this particular product but for the price vs. quality aspect of a good foundation, it's got my thumbs up!!!

on 12/19/2008 9:44:00 PM

I've been using this foundation for about a week. I'm normally an nc15 in studio fix fluid (mac) and nc20 in other mac foundations. i got #117. I use a primer (smashbox's photofinish) and MAC's msf natural to set it. i use a skunk brush to apply (MAC's 187).it looks great at first, but by the end of the day (8 hour work days) it seems to melt off my face, and make my skin look all oily/weird. i have dry skin, so maybe thats the problem? not sure. it's a shame, because this foundation is medium buildable coverage and looks great at first! i really liked it besides my problem. i also picked up some mat velvet foundation, i'm going to try that next!

on 12/17/2008 9:44:00 PM

Great colors, perfect match for my fair but yellow undertone skin. Amazing natural finish, almost undetectable with light medium coverage. Love the pump, very higenic and keeps you from wasting product. My current fave!

on 12/17/2008 9:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I love this. it covers beautifully. i use one pump and blend in using my fingers. it sets to a slightly powdery (ie non-shiny, non-matte) look. i love the way this looks. it doesn't turn colour even after 8 or so hours.

on 12/17/2008 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I really wanted to like this foundation. The MA at sephora tried a lot of shades on me and unfortunately, nothing matched. I have warm and cool tones. I also noticed that it made my skin very dry and ashy. I finally tried the mat velvet one and i love it.

on 12/16/2008 6:28:00 PM

I tried this product based on reviews from a lot of online sources. While it gave great coverage, it made my skin itchy and I got a few breakouts. I used it with brushes and sponges, so as long as you don't use too much (3/4 pump worked for me), you won't look chalky or too heavily made up which can happen. I also noticed that it looked a bit gray near the end of the day so the colour may have been a tad too light. While I will never buy this again, I encourage others to give it a try. Just make sure you get it from a store where there's a liberal return policy.

on 12/15/2008 10:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

This is my first review of any product. I have been using mineral foundation for 5 years. I have been having terrible breakouts and could not figure out why. I decided to switch to this foundation after hearing all the reviews. Not even a week and my skin is clearer and smoother and looks flawless. I love it. I will definately buy again.

on 12/14/2008 2:17:00 PM

I have very fair skin and this foundation matched perfect! MAC foundation not only was way to dark for me (NW15) but also broke me out terribly. I wanted a foundation that had medium+ coverage and was a satin finish. I was using Revlon colorstay but it was heavy and again too dark. So, after reading reviews I decided to purchase the HD online with my 15$ off coupon. I did not ever try this out in the store. When it arrived I put on a heavy moisturizer, BE prime time, and then one and a half squirts of the foundation. I used my fingers because my stippling brush was dirty. The color was a perfect match and the coverage was phenomenal, I have never seen a foundation look so natural. When I showed my mom she gasped because it looked so good. Thank you MUFE!

on 12/14/2008 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Not HG status, but a terrific foundation. One of the best that I have used. Color is a perfect match, the foundation lasts and gives a flawless finish. Like some other reviewers, I think application is key. A foundation brush in necessary for me to get the flawless skin look. I don't use a primer, just a little bit of Clinique's Pore Minimizer on my t zone. However, I am now interested in trying out one of the primers in this line. I also use the Coastal Scents Silica powder to set (exact same as the MUFE HD powder, but $4). I like this much better than using a non silica powder to set.

The only think keeping this product at a four is the fact the I break out if I don't use an oil cleanser to remove it. I don't like the extra step, and for that reason this is not my every day foundation. I use this on weekends or when I go out at night.
Edit 3/27: I actually don't need an oil cleanser, something else must have been breaking me out. This has been updated to HG. I realized this when I lost my makeup bag in a cab. ALL of my best makeup gone. Out of all of my stuff, this is one of the first things I repurchased. Made me realize just how much I need it.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

After several weeks of wear and trying out different colors I have finally decided I can review this. While it is not the miracle I had hoped for, it is still a nice product. The coverage is excellent and although my skin is normally good, I love how it evens out my skintone. My only problem is that even with regular exfoliation, this foundation still seems to magnify any dry skin I didn't even know I had.

Finding the best match was a bit difficult for me at first, just because the color-range is so darn impressive. The nuances are staggering, and frankly all of the choices on the lighter end of the scale (110, 115, and 117) looked better on me than most foundations I have ever tried. I am slightly lighter than NW15, and I found that 117 canceled out the red in my skin, 110 was slightly pink, and 115 was the same only a tad darker. I got compliments on my skin wearing each of these colors, which amazed me.
If you are fair and cool to neutral, I highly recommend samples first to find the best match. With me it finally came to down to preference, and I went with 110 because it was the lightest.

I said I would not repurchase because after 4 weeks of wear I still could not get it to work all that well for me. The color was great, the coverage was great, but the formula was not right for me. It just left me looking too dry. :(