September 18, 2014 | 951 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2003 5:52:00 PM More reviews by lisetterenee

I absolutely love this foundation. A friend of mine who was working for EL gave me a sample, and I've been hooked ever since.
    It lasts really well for the majority of the day. My skin can get really dry and flaky, and when it is at it's worst, the foundation can get dry, flaky, and cakey too. However, as long as my skin is in good condition, I am THRILLED with the results of this foundation.
    Many people have told me removal of this foundation is difficult. I find that Neutrogena Deep Cleanser works WONDERS. It seems to dissolve the foundation and leave no residue after a few swipes over the face with a toner.
    The biggest draw back (other than the price), I seem to have to use a lot of product to even out my skin ton completely. I have some redness in my skin and quite a few freckles, so it takes some serious work and product to make everything look even.
    BUT IT'S WORTH IT!

UPDATE--4/13/03--After almost a year of wearing this product it started turning orange on me. I had several friends say "what's wrong with your make-up" over the course of a couple days. Needless to say, I returned it, and the sales girls were really friendly as they assisted me in trying another color. Warm Bisque in Double Matte didn't work at all either, but at least they tried.
    I wish EL would make a Double Wear color that would work for me!I will miss this foundation a lot!

UPDATE --4/27/03-- After I started having trouble with this foundation, I made a conscious decision to try to get my skin in better condition rather than piling on the foundation. After just a few weeks of my new mantra, I've noticed a SUBSTANTIAL difference. I've only switched from using this foundation and from my long time favorite moisturizer, and my skin is in MUCH better condition. When I was using this foundation (and the one I used previous to this one) I was experiencing relatively serious breakouts, but I thought it was a result of my bad skin getting worse. However, a few weeks away from this foundation (and using Aveda Dual Base instead), and I'm surprised at the improved condition of my skin. Not only are my breakouts DRAMATICALLY reduced, but so are my blackheads. Also, discoloration on my cheeks and chin from a year or two worth of heavy breakouts have faded. I'm so glad I gave my skin some breathing room. I'm hoping my skin will continue to get better to where I won't even feel like I NEED foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/28/2003 7:34:00 PM More reviews by cabaret22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have this in warm sand, which matched my yellow-tone skin quite good. Not perfect, but good.
    Those who wants a great matte coverage with staying power, this is it.
    It lasted through a gym workout, though it didn't stay flawless, it didn't melt like other foundations.
    However, this is not for those with acne-prone skin as it is very hard to remove and tends to clog pores. It's supposed to be oil free, but I don't quite believe that.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2003 5:16:00 PM More reviews by Dampiera

I got a generous sample of this from the counter once and I couldn't believe how PERFECTLY it matched my skin tone! I can use it just as a concealer or I can use it as a full fledged foundation on bad skin days. Either way I'm told by many many people that they can't even tell that I am wearing foundation. It just looks that natural if you apply it correctly. I use a dry makeup wedge for use as a concealer or foundation brush (mine is from Aura Science). As for the wear of it yes, it is stubborn. My Aura Science Normal Skin cleanser takes it right off (along with mascara and anything else in it's way!) so I haven't had a problem there. My shade (shell) is so perfect but I don't know about others. It's priced on the high end of what I would pay for foundation but I got my second bottle for Christmas and the first one lasted me a good 6 months.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2002 12:49:00 AM More reviews by kittyhawk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a good foundation for those who want good coverage wihout having to splurge on concealers. It looks real natural when applied with a good wedge sponge. I will not advise anyone to use fingers coz it'll appear too thick and masked. I rated it "4" coz it needs effort to remove. I have to use a cleansing oil, estee's take it away followed by a cleansing gel to get the entire gunk off my face. But it's really worth the effort cause I don't hv to touch up. It never caked or melt in the hot humid weather. But if you're blemish prone, it is highly recommended to wash this off thoroughly coz it's smudgeproof and waterproof. I don't hv to worry about it coming off tho I accidentally shed tears or get caught in the rain. It's also a good foundation to wear when I wanna go exercise on bad skin days. Stays put in water and sweat.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2002 7:01:00 PM More reviews by chi77

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I stopped using this after I broke out and thought this foundation attributed to clogged pores. Then I reused this 2 wks ago. This time, I made sure I cleansed it using my a 3-step cleansing regime. And it worked! So I'm happy to say I'm giving this a "5" cause it really is a good HG foundation. I'm using Bone 01 and I usually wear the lightest or second lightest shade in most brands. UPDATE: I've stopped using this for a year and decided to pull it out of the drawer one day. This time, I yelled "OMIGOD"!! After an hour, this looked like a mask that was starting to crack under my powder. In fact, I had tried every possible way to go light and easy but it still screams thick and gooey. Ok, will avoid this now at all expense. Down my score from "5" to ""1".

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2002 1:02:00 PM More reviews by Lacy

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I want to love this foundation so bad but I'm afraid that is has been the cause of my breakouts for the past few months. It is simply too thick to let your face breath and just should not be worn on a daily basis. It is so heavy that it has to clog your pores. It does have a pretty finish but that's about it.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/25/2002 11:03:00 AM More reviews by my2kids

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I started using this and thought it was the best stuff in the world. Until after about a month of use I broke out like crazy. So I used their recommended makeup remover to get it off. It made matters worse. So I quit using. It gives a great coverage and matte finish. I would continue using this, but I can't because of the breakouts. It definately lives up to it's name. You practically have to scrub it off. And then your lucky to get it off after that. A foundation like this possibly could not be good for ones skin. LUcidty or equalizer would be my next choice. Ezualizer comes in many shades.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2001 11:15:00 PM More reviews by smashbox_diva

Good foundation. Lasted well but not long enough especially if you don't let it "sit" and dry. Colors are good. Would buy again if Lancome was out of my shade!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2001 2:36:00 AM More reviews by dollface

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this foundation! I put on a lot of moisturizer before I apply it, then dab the foundation on for just enough coverage. See, it's a heavy foundation in itself, but once blended with moisturizer it looks perfectly natural, and it makes my blotchy skin look flawless! At $27 for a bottle I think the price isn't bad, especially since it lasts for months and you don't need to use that much each day. Love the color selection, too - Sand is perfect for my yellow-toned, pale-ish skin! I'll definitely rebuy this one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2001 12:26:00 PM More reviews by Pheebie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I originally fell in love with the performance of Estee Lauder's Double Matte foundation, but was unable to find a good shade match, so the SA introduced me to this formula, which is available in lighter shades than Double Matte. Double Wear also gives a nice matte finish and coverage that lasts all day. You do have to blend it rather quickly, because once it sets, it doesn't move. The price is a little steep, so wait for a GWP. Besides, that way you'll probably get a sample tube of that wonderful More Than Mascara (the best thing to happen to lashes).