August 27, 2014 | 1802 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/2/2005 1:13:00 AM More reviews by laceymeow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

this foundation is great for it's staying power! i had it on for over 16 hours and it didn't budge one bit. the bad thing is that it made me break out very badly. one good point is that it felt considerably light on the skin for being a heavy foundation. as mentioned by other reviewers, finding a very light shade that matches well is difficult. i tried linen (i'm nc15) and it looked good at first but later it seemed too dark. it didn't seem to dry out my already dry skin but it did emphasize my flakes. i would not reccomend buying this product without getting a sample first.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/28/2005 8:20:00 PM More reviews by backNblack

My skin is oily, and I've been on the search for the "perfect" foundation. I've tried so many, and then one day, I came across the Double Wear. I figured I'd give it a try..since the lady at the counter was so helpful and convinced that 'I wouldn't be sorry'. Haha. So, I bought a bottle. My skin is really light, so I has I had a terrible time picking out a colour. I finally settled for Ecru. The coverage is awesome for those with really oily skin, or even combo. Out of all the foundations I've try, this one gave me the best coverage for my shiny skin. So, A+ in that area. The downfalls to this product are the poor colour range. Also, you really need to apply this in natural light. I remember putting it on in the bathroom and thinking, "damn I look fine today!" :P and then I went outside, looked in a car mirror and I looked like an oompa loompa. Yes. Orange! It was terribe. I figured maybe I just didn't match the shade correctly so I went back and they helped me pick out another colour. This time, I went with the Desert Beige one. I will admit, it was better than my first choice, but still could have been A LOT better.Pros = 1. Stands up to any weather condition. 2. Stays on all day. 3. Controls oil! 4. Nice matte finish. 5. Can be used with or without powder and still look good. Cons= 1. Poor colour selection.(If you're fair, you'll have a hard time.)2. Changes colour at the end of the day. (A tad more orange.)3. Doesn't blend especially well. (I recommend a foundation brush.)4. Looks a little cakey, almost mask like. 5. Crappy packaging...a pump would be nice. 6. A little pricey.

Overall, this product is fairly good. If you have oily skin, I advise you give this product a whirl because it does what it says. If you have dry skin, this product may be too drying, but some of you maybe have luck with it. It's nearly 38$ for a little bottle, so that's a bummer. I'm not trying to run down this product because it is in fact good.I'm just giving you everything from my experience because I know how hard and frustrating it can when you're on the hunt for foundations. All the Estee Lauder counters I've been to say that if you're not 100% satisfied with your purchase you can exchange it or get a refund. So, that's a bonus. Double check on that one though! Haha. Good luck ladies! =)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2005 5:56:00 PM More reviews by sodapopgirl

This is great foundation. I am oily in the T-zone and this foundation has great staying power. A couple years ago I wore Double Wear and I did like it, but the colors at the time for fair skin were not the best. Recently, I found out by reading a review that Estee Lauder re-lauched Double Wear with new colors. So I went to the makeup counter and found Ecru. It is perfect. I set it with MAC Blot Powder in Medium. This is my HG.... I would definitely recommend buying this!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2005 4:40:00 PM More reviews by karlawatkins

I have been wearing this foundation everyday for about 4 years now. I have gone to others a couple of times but found myself right back to the Double Wear. I do not have time to touch up my make-up during the day and this foundation does not need touch-ups! I apply it in the morning arouround 7:00 am and take it off around 11:00 pm. It lasts all day - and is no problem with my combo skin (oily in the T zone). During the summer, I like to keep my foundation shade very close to my natural/somewhat tanning color. I mix two diffent shades throughout the summer to accomplish just the right color as I tan. One bottle lasts about 7 months or so. It is a little pricey but well worth it! Considering how long one bottle lasts - you would end up paying the same price for all the bottles of drugstore brands you would have to buy during the year.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2005 9:10:00 AM More reviews by beaheretic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

At first i made a hasty decision with the product: i decided to buy off the internet. My advice? DO NOT DO THIS as the colour samples shown on the Estee lauder homepage are wrong, wrong, wrong!

As for some of the reviews for this product, many are also wrong, so im going to clear things up!

Firstly, Shell 1C1, Ecru 1N1 and Bone 1W1 are the LIGHTEST COLOURS!! Please for god's sake don't say what you THINK is the lihtest colour when actually you haven't bothered to see! Its really irritating and if peole are using reviews to consider a buy it could turn out a complete waste of their money.

and secondly, they DO sell these lightest colours in the UK, and Fresco ISNT the lightest one; see www.garden.co.uk ( they are based in covent garden, do next day delivery and sport all the colours in their boutique.

Right, now on with the product review....

Basically i chose Shell because it is for cool/pink undertones and i am pretty much ghost white in terms of skin colour (as for their others, ecru is for neutral tones and bone is for warm,beige undertones).

When i first looked at the colour on the back of my hand, i was very dubious as to whether it would be light enough for my skin, especially as this foundation has pretty opaque coverage.

The trick is, undoubtedly, to moisturise well otherwise this foundation WILL leave you looking very chalky and as if you're about to shatter.

I have very oily skin so this foundation did a really good job of smoothing out my skin, mattifying it, and of course what it claims to do: staying put.

This foundation certainly does that and is resistant to almost anything. Taking it off can be VERY hard so if you apply with your fingers, which i would recommend anyway, make sure you remove it from the back of your hand instantly otherwise you will be pulling and tugging at your skin for ages. Because the amount of sebum my glands produce is ridiculous anyway, getting it off is not such a mammoth task for me, but if you have dry/very dry skin i wouldn't really recommend this foundation for you. Most long lasting foundations in general are for oily/normal type skins - sorry!

Be economical with this foundation; a little goes a veyr long way and the consistency is very thick - at first i thought similar to glue - so you only need a little bit. It dries relatively quickly, so you have your make-up done in 20 mins if you're pushing it. I like this foundation, however i would like to see maybe a shade lighter for us PPPs; however, if you are very pale, do give it ago because it does turn out differently in colour ( a lot lighter) in comparison to when you just dab it on the back of your hand.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2005 11:30:00 PM More reviews by emilka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wonderful foundation. Leaves my skin smooth and flawless. Great coverage. I use Shell color and it fits me perfectly. Lasts all day. Much better than Almay Amazing Lasting and Revlon Colorstay. Thinner and blends better.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2005 9:43:00 PM More reviews by GODSMACKSGURL

I have been using a mineral foundation for the last 4 years BE for 3 years and Philosophy supernatural airbrush canvas for the last year and because I have really oily skin and alot of blemishes the mineral foundation just seemed to make me look cakey and accentuate my pores and blemishes. I used liquid foundation when I was a teenager and really hated the feeling like I had a mask on my face. Me and my daughter just went the the Estee Lauder counter and when the associate came over to ask if we needed help I couldn't believe how flawless her skin on her face looked. Naturally I asked her what she was wearing and she said Double Wear. She offered to color match me and to do a makeover to see if I liked the results on myself and it made my skin look AMAZING!!! I couldn't believe I was wearing a liquid foundation because it covered all my blemishes and pores and made my skin look so smooth and pretty, but best of all I didn't feel like I was wearing anything. This works really well and was made for oily skin. It does come off easily with a toner or I use my Purity Made Simple cleanser from Philosophy because it melts away even the toughest makeup without stripping your skin and leaves it feeling soft and hydrated. I never thought I would ever have flawless skin again but thanks to Estee Lauder I can put my face in the world again with confidence.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2005 2:57:00 PM More reviews by chaslam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my favorite long wearing foundation, along with Almay Amazing Lasting. Almay controls oil better so here's my trick (it seems to have something to do with the SPF i.e. the lower the SPF, the longer it stays on and the better it controls oil). I use Almay with a triangle makeup sponge (in Pale, nice yellow undertones, I'm PPP) along my t-zone from between my eyebrows, down my nose and an inch on either side, and my chin. Then I put Double Wear Shell everywhere else where I'm not so oily, cheeks, jaw, forehead, blending well at the jawline. Then I actually go over it all with the lightest Bare Escentuals powder foundation lightly. The end result is a flawless, porcelain, luminescent, but not mask-y finish that I get lots of compliments on. The consistency of Double Wear is just a bit thicker so it gives great coverage that dries to a lovely soft matte finish. Covers spots, redness, splotches, etc. I use one Shiseido blot paper at the end of work and I'm good for the evening - all makeup is still in place. If you have one of those Cosmetic Stores at your local outlet mall that sells Estee Lauder, I get Double Wear there for $22. EDIT 5/30/06 I took the pump from an empty BE Skin Revver Upper, trimmed the bottom and it fits perfectly on the Double Wear bottle, turning it into a pump and thus not drying it out!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2005 8:33:00 PM More reviews by cris2003

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using Double Wear foundation for 5 yrs now. So, I have nothing but good comments for this foundation. I don't think in my experience that it is cakey or heavy. I even get complimented on how smooth and nice my face looks. I don't have any problems with acne or anything. I use 02 sand color. It good for light but with yellow tone skin. I love how it lasts all day and even under the worst humidity or any weather. I have tried to use other foundations but it is no good for me. I know that the only foundation for me is Double Wear.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2005 1:40:00 AM More reviews by starwinks23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm a fair Asian girl w/yellow/golden undertones. I tried the EL Double Wear foundation in Fresco couple of months ago, and the color was fantastic on me! The wear was also awesome - it lasted all day! That's coming from a person whose face is like an oil slick an hour after washing it. lol! This foundation has medium to heavy coverage, definitely can be adjusted. I just make one dot on forehead, left cheek, right cheek, and blend with fingers. It spreads very smoothly, goes on very nicely. The foundation is thicker for a liquid foundation. You definitely have to tip it and wait a bit until it comes down to the opening. lol! i agree with the other girls - it would be fantastic if it came with a pump. i can't imagine how long you'd have to wait till the last drops come out. ha! Anyway, i've been using this foundation for about 3 weeks, and thank GOD no breakouts! i worried that i would get breakouts with this like some of the other reviewers experienced.. but not for this face! The price is a bit steep ($33), esp. for this college girl.. but oh SO worth it!! 5 lippies for this! :D