April 16, 2014 | 1834 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2005 2:57:00 PM More reviews by chaslam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my favorite long wearing foundation, along with Almay Amazing Lasting. Almay controls oil better so here's my trick (it seems to have something to do with the SPF i.e. the lower the SPF, the longer it stays on and the better it controls oil). I use Almay with a triangle makeup sponge (in Pale, nice yellow undertones, I'm PPP) along my t-zone from between my eyebrows, down my nose and an inch on either side, and my chin. Then I put Double Wear Shell everywhere else where I'm not so oily, cheeks, jaw, forehead, blending well at the jawline. Then I actually go over it all with the lightest Bare Escentuals powder foundation lightly. The end result is a flawless, porcelain, luminescent, but not mask-y finish that I get lots of compliments on. The consistency of Double Wear is just a bit thicker so it gives great coverage that dries to a lovely soft matte finish. Covers spots, redness, splotches, etc. I use one Shiseido blot paper at the end of work and I'm good for the evening - all makeup is still in place. If you have one of those Cosmetic Stores at your local outlet mall that sells Estee Lauder, I get Double Wear there for $22. EDIT 5/30/06 I took the pump from an empty BE Skin Revver Upper, trimmed the bottom and it fits perfectly on the Double Wear bottle, turning it into a pump and thus not drying it out!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2005 8:33:00 PM More reviews by cris2003

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using Double Wear foundation for 5 yrs now. So, I have nothing but good comments for this foundation. I don't think in my experience that it is cakey or heavy. I even get complimented on how smooth and nice my face looks. I don't have any problems with acne or anything. I use 02 sand color. It good for light but with yellow tone skin. I love how it lasts all day and even under the worst humidity or any weather. I have tried to use other foundations but it is no good for me. I know that the only foundation for me is Double Wear.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2005 1:40:00 AM More reviews by starwinks23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm a fair Asian girl w/yellow/golden undertones. I tried the EL Double Wear foundation in Fresco couple of months ago, and the color was fantastic on me! The wear was also awesome - it lasted all day! That's coming from a person whose face is like an oil slick an hour after washing it. lol! This foundation has medium to heavy coverage, definitely can be adjusted. I just make one dot on forehead, left cheek, right cheek, and blend with fingers. It spreads very smoothly, goes on very nicely. The foundation is thicker for a liquid foundation. You definitely have to tip it and wait a bit until it comes down to the opening. lol! i agree with the other girls - it would be fantastic if it came with a pump. i can't imagine how long you'd have to wait till the last drops come out. ha! Anyway, i've been using this foundation for about 3 weeks, and thank GOD no breakouts! i worried that i would get breakouts with this like some of the other reviewers experienced.. but not for this face! The price is a bit steep ($33), esp. for this college girl.. but oh SO worth it!! 5 lippies for this! :D

rated 4 of 5 on 8/21/2005 7:52:00 PM More reviews by AntoniaB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I would not buy this again because the Almay Amazing Lasting does a better job for a quarter of the price. Overall, I liked it alright, but it doesn't stay on near as long as Almay does, it rubbed off on my husband's uniform (yikes!)it costs more, and I had to buy 2 shades to mix to match my skin. I didn't have any negative reactions to it as far as breakouts on my oily skin, but it DOES stain clothing!! So, if you want to spend the extra dough, go for it, if not, try the Almay instead!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2005 6:14:00 PM More reviews by rebeccameredith

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

If it weren't for the packaging - regular narrow neck bottle - no pump, but should have one, and the rather expensive price, i would give this 5 stars - but nonetheless, this is an excellent foundation! actually, i guess worth the price as i've found nothing like it in terms of color matching and quality, and it really does stay in place all day! I use a baby wipe with clinque or neutrogena's makeup remover to get the makeup off completely, otherwise you scrub all day with a wash cloth. The makeup remover makes it much easier to get off. and then finish off with my regular foaming cleanser to get off the residue. The finish is soft matte, and retards breakthru shine. I have this right now in Pebble which is a neutral light medium, though they catorgize it as cool. No pink in it, just not yellow either. I also have it in Ecru, very light for my palest winter days. You really have a color for every color you turn, i'd say! Highly recommended!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2005 9:27:00 PM More reviews by Fulltiltredhead

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Dusk matches my skin perfectly, and this formula covers everything. I have extremely oily skin and all the foundations I could find slid right off of my face within an hour or two, and worse, my nose shone like Rudolph's. DWs matte finish lets me put light effects where I want them, rather than have glisteney skin all over, and I really like having that control over highlights. I don't use moisturizer under it. I put it on very clean, well-exfoliated skin, and it looks great and lasts all day without smudging or budging. I had some shine at the end of 9 hours, and used a blotter paper. I didn't have to powder all day. I think it's amazing makeup. And I do like it in the eye area as well - great for use as a shadow base and under-eye concealer.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/9/2005 1:42:00 AM More reviews by Holisticmassage

I liked this foundation when I first put it on because the great coverage and fresh look when applied, however by the end of the day my face looked oily, pores seemed larger and I also broke out from it. The spf also made my face look almost ghostlike in photos.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/28/2005 5:53:00 PM More reviews by lizzyd220

I went to the Estee Lauder counter wanting to buy the Futurist foundation b/c of the great reviews on MUA. Was sold into getting this instead b/c apparently the Futurist is for older skin and I am only 20. I loved the way it looked on me in the store. I was looking for a medium-heavy coverage foundation and thats what I got. It lasts and lasts. HOWEVER on about day four or so my skin finally cought up with me and this stuff made me breakout so badly! It made my skin oily and I'm usually pretty neutral in oil. In the store it loked fairly matte, but after using it for a few days I found otherwise. Not a foundation for the oily skinned, that's for sure! I checked the ingredients out after the fact and it is completley comedogenic, despite what's advertised. Finally three weeks later my skin is going back to normal. Now I'm using Max Factor Pan-Stick. Very few ingredients, all of which are ACTUALLY non-comedogenic. And much much cheaper!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2005 7:06:00 PM More reviews by Angela4508

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been searching for a makeup that can stand up to my oily skin and humidity. I sweat very easily, humidity or not, and this stuff stays put.

For some people a light moisturizer or something like idealist would be wonderful underneath.

You have to put this on in sections and blend well. You can use fingers, sponge or a foundation brush. Blend well, let sit for a minute or two before you put on anything else including powder. It has to "bond" with your skin. I truly feel if you feel like this is a mask, you aren't putting it on correctly.

I personally take a powder brush and sweep it over my double matte pressed powder and I am flawless. This stuff covers everything. Even undereye circles.

I got a sample in Fresco, perfect color match, and wore it one day to work where I worked up a decent sweat. A couple of hours later I blotted, swept on some powder, lipstick and I was good to go for a few more hours. I was very pleased.

My only complaint? I wish it would be in a pump. A little hard to get out sometimes.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2005 2:10:00 PM More reviews by vidya22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've tried so many different brands of foundation. My biggest issue was makeup meltdown in the hot, humid summer months.

My experience with Estee Lauder's Double Wear have been excellent. It's 95 degrees outside and I'm in makeup and confident.

The trick is to use a very light or no moisturizer with this foundation. It goes on smoothly and dries quickly.Instantly, my blemishes were covered, no need for concealer. It dries to a matte finish, no need for a powder. The only other thing I use with this is blush and I'm good to go.

I also wear this to the gym, does not budge with sweat and looks like I'm wearing nothing.

Washing off this product is tricky. A toner is definitely required to get the excess off or it would lead to clogged pores.

I am very happy with this foundation. I wear it alone, it doesn't look fake or cakey. It stays on, no need to touch up. Great wear for the summer months.