October 21, 2014 | 1047 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2008 1:08:00 AM More reviews by fifi_kitten

this is an absolute HG product for me. i'm a true PPP with acne prone sensitive skin, around an NW15ish, slightlty lighter depending on the season, so its nearly impossible for me to find a HG foundation. if i find a good color match, the formulas terrible or it breaks me out, and if i find one with a perfect formula, the colors are always too dark. i've tried tons of foundations, high and low end, and still haven't found the perfect one yet. but this flash color completely changes that. i use this as a way to lighten foundations. just a tiny little dab mixed in with a blob of too dark foundation before you apply is all you need. and the best part is, it doesn't change the formula of the foundation at all. a lot of other color adjusters are liquid so they make a lot of foundations too runny and basically destroy any coverage the foundation offers. not this. i can finally search for the best foundation formula for my skin without having to worry about whether or not the colors will be light enough for me. i just take a tiny dab of this (i use a toothpick to pick it up), spread it on a palette, squeeze some foundation on top, and mix with my brush. its that simple. and best of all-it doesn't break me out. i haven't used it for anything else, so i can't comment on other uses. its about $17 for a fairly large tub of .24 oz. i'm sure there are cheaper options in other theatrical makeup brands, however i haven't tried them. but i wouldn't mind paying the $17, since such a little amount works, i'll have this tub forever. definitely a must have for any PPP that struggles to find matching foundations.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2008 2:56:00 PM More reviews by RebeccaD

I've been using this foundation for about a month, & I really do like it. It doesn't give me the incredible flawless look that some people are getting, but it is a pretty good foundation. For reference, I have combo skin. HD applies smoothly & evenly & blends very easily. It provides good coverage for me as well - it evens me out & covers redness, etc. without looking cakey. It wears very well throughout the day, too. While oil-free, the foundation does not control oilies as well as I'd like. It doesn't leave me with pools of oil on my face, but I definitely find my skin a bit oilier by mid-day than I do w/ my usual foundations. I actually find LM's oil-free to work a bit better in this department. Still, I really like the overall effect this foundation gives my skin. It looks even, & other than the mid-day oilies my skin has a fresh glow to it. I like the pump packaging. It's easy to lightly pump out the perfect amount for my face, & so far I haven't had problems w/ the pump sticking. I have light skin w/ yellow undertone, & shade #117 (Marble) matches me perfectly. I think this foundation is definitely worth trying, though if you have very oily skin or large pores, this foundation might accentuate both.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2008 1:52:00 AM More reviews by KrisSeals

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just thought I'd clarify, this is not a MOISTURIZING foundation like alot of you are posting. It is oil free, and it works best on oily combination or skin that has been freshly moisturized. You will not achieve the "near skin" like effect with dry patches. This is one of the best I have seen, when applied correctly. I recommend using the MUFE kabuki brush since it is made of nylon fibers which makes it possible to get that airbrushed finish with a liquid foundation. This is the way we were taught in the MUFE pro class by a mufe national artist and if you do it on one side and then try a foundation brush or your fingers onthe other side, you will be floored by the difference. Hope this helps!!

15 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2008 5:10:00 AM More reviews by jennstarr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation. I have combo skin, and I will say that when I have dry patches, it does initially make them stand out a bit. What I particularly love is the color matches really well (153-a definite yellow/olive medium tone) which for me is half the battle. It blends like a dream (I use the Shu Goat 16DF brush - which is NOT a foundation brush, but works well for me - I then follow with an oval sponge to smooth everything out). I use a tiny bit of powder over it, and I swear it looks like clean skin....not bare, but not cakey and like traditional foundation. Photographs really nicely too.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2008 12:30:00 AM More reviews by FadetoSparkle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Make Up For Ever has the best foundation line out there. However, I don't feel this is as great as their other foundations. My main issue is that it doesn't have staying power. It seems to give a mask like appearance & makes me extra greasy looking while caking on any dry spot on your face. I also don't find that it photographs any better than their foundations either. It looks no different than face & body in a picture. It has the potential to be a great foundation but personally they've missed the mark on it for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2008 9:18:00 PM More reviews by JeanineH

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm a little weary of writing a review for this product just because I love it so much. It seems like every time I write a review for a product, something goes wrong with it. But anyway, let's get to the point.

I first saw this foundation on the Sephora Website, labeled "Best Seller Overall" for liquid foundations. This grabbed my attention, along with how it supposedly covered like a great foundation, but stayed completely natural looking even in daylight. I did NOT think that this could be possible, so I kept looking for another foundation that seemed more realistic.

After not finding anything on the website, I went to Sephora for a consultation in search for the perfect product for me. To my surprise, the rep directed me straight to the foundation that I had looked at a week before: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation. Skeptical, I asked if she would apply it for me so I could see how it worked after spotting the $40 price tag. She applied this foundation with a cosmetic sponge (not the one the product is recommended with) and an extremely light hand. At the time, my skin was incredibly dry due to my acne medication, so I knew that the way she would be applying the makeup wouldn't be right, anyway. She applied it rather sheerly, which I did not like. I did get a sample, though. When I got home, I decided to give it another go. I cleansed my face, patted it dry, and added a little bit of moisturizer because of my dry skin. I don't recommend this for everyone, because the foundation itself is very moisturizing. Using my fingertips, I blended this foundation effortlessly into my skin, all over....

Let me tell you, ladies. If you are looking for a flawless coverage that is nearly undetectable, you will love this. Go to Sephora, and instead of getting them to apply it for you, just have them make up a sample for you to take home. You will see a difference the instant that it touches your fingers. The formula is water based and noncomedogenic, so it is gentle to your skin, moisturizing, and won't clog pores. I was very surprised at how thin and creamy this was. It gave a very dewy, healthy looking finish and covered everything that I wanted it to. It brightened my eyes, completely concealed acne scarring and current blemishes, and my redness was gone. It is also pretty waterproof if used with the MUFE HD powder. I even went outside with a mirror, and viola! My skin still looked great. Dream come true. It does have a $40 price tag which was nearly twice the price of my bare minerals, but it's well worth it if you want to have beautiful skin. In my opinion, I prefer this WAY over Bare Minerals. Amen.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2008 5:41:00 PM More reviews by Mojie

I really wanted to love this foundation in spite of having more foundation that I can realistically use already. I've had good results with MUFE's HD loose powder and based on the good reviews here on MUA, I thought this would be a sure-fire winner.

After reading reviews here, I ordered this in 115 Ivory (I wear NW20 in MAC currently, but have worn NW15 in the recent past) since the Porcelain color seemed too light and pink for me. That was a good choice. The color match for me in Ivory was pretty good, but I could have gone just a tiny, tiny bit darker and it would have looked more natural.

The coverage of this foundation is medium with 2 squirts, light but enough for my needs with 1 squirt. It has a thicker consistency than a lot of the MAC foundations I've tried and a small squirt doesn't look like much until it's spread out over the skin. It's easy to think you need more than you really do with this stuff!

I just wasn't impressed with the way this looked on me. I applied it both with my fingers and with a MAC foundation brush and both gave an OK result. The foundation really accentuated any dry spots I had on my skin and tended to look cakey on my forehead in spite of my using a light hand to apply it there. It also started showing wear very quickly. Within 15 minutes of my doing nothing but sitting in my living room (not working up a sweat or anything like that), it was starting to wear off unevenly and looked very unflattering.

I returned it to Sephora and I'll be sticking with my MAC Studio Fix Fluid.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2008 5:27:00 PM More reviews by righteousred

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I must preface review by saying I am a bit of a foundation ho. I have tried just about everything and have rarely repurchased, since I'm always looking for something better. I have become (and still am) a big fan of mineral makeups since most liquids fail to live up to expectations - they don't cover enough, or they settle into my pores or they melt off or whatever. This one made me revise my opinion of liquid fxs though.

This is truly a full coverage foundation that covers a LOT (see the pics at the end of the review) but without feeling heavy and gross on my face. I don't even really need concealer with it. The staying power is better than average also - I truly don't find that it's slid around much by the end of the day. I do have normal skin that is not particularly oily though, so that might have something to do with it. I like the "glowy" finish - matte foundations are aging IMO. Love the pump bottle.

As some previous reviewers suggested, I did NOT apply this with a foundation brush. I dot approx 1.5 pumps foundation on my face and then spread it out with my Px Buff Brush (much like a flat head kabuki - a dense natural hair brush). The choice of brush is KEY. I do not get the same even/natural application with my fingers or a regular foundation brush.

A note about choosing color. The numbers don't necessarily coincide to the "darkness" of the shade - there are different undertones much like Kevin Aucoin's line. I am pretty darn fair and pink (MAC NW15) - I almost always wear the lightest and coolest toned foundations in a line. However, the very lightest one (110 Pink Porcelain) here made me look a little too pale. Strangely, 115 Ivory (which is supposed to be for cool undertones) appeared too dark on my skin, but 117 Marble (which should have been too yellow) was just right. Go figure. Anyway, if you don't find your shade at first, play around with ones that you might not intuitively go for in the beginning.

And now for scary no-makeup pictures:

These were not touched up except to get rid of red-eye, so you can really see what a difference the foundation makes. continued >>

107 out of 107 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2008 11:37:00 PM More reviews by hugglemunkee

I love this foundation! I originally saw this on the HSN and went to my nearest Sephora to try it out. I immediately fell in love. It's lightweight and has full coverage. My skin is oily in the T-zones and I have redness in my cheeks. My skin is a medium tone. I love that only a few drops covers my entire face. I don't need a concealer. I love that it doesn't feel heavy and if I wanted to put on another layer (not that I would need to), it doesn't look caked on. It is a little pricey for me (30.00) but it's a large bottle and it'll last you a while.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/6/2008 12:24:00 PM More reviews by Irishgurrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This dried out my skin, and I believe caused it to clog up.
Initially, whilst I was using my sample - it was beautiful...my skin seemed to love it, but within about 2 weeks of use, and ironically after I'd ordered the full jar - my skin screamed no more!

This is lovely when it works, sadly for my combination and super sensitive skin...it didn't.

The colour match was however lovely, and there was no oxidisation throughout the day.