December 22, 2014 | 1481 users online

Highlighters - BeneFit Cosmetics - High Beam

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2012 7:50:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Benefit's High Beam is a "luminescent complexion enhancer", i.e a highlighter. This product is described by Benefit as "a satiny pink liquid highlighter to accent cheek and brow bones for a radiant glow. Use as a spot highlight or delicately blend all over your complexion. Looks perfectly radiant on all skin tones. It's the 'Supermodel in a Bottle!". That's a hell of a big claim to make! I got a smallre 4ml (.13fl oz) sample of this cult favorite highlight in Ulta's exclusive "Sexy Six" value kit, which ran me $24. The full size 13ml (.45fl oz) bottle retails for $26. My mini High Beam has a value of $8. Benefit does not test on animals and offers some details about their animal testing policy in their FAQ. My High Beam sample was made in France. Benefit products can be bought at department stores with Benefit counters, Ulta and Sephora and their respective websites, and directly through Benefit via their website.
Packaging for High Beam is a clear, round, hard plastic tube. The name of the product and the Benefit logo are written on the front in black lettering. A small amount of product and company info can be found on the back of the tube. High Beam's tube is topped off with a white plastic cap. Screwing the cap off reveals a stiff brush application absolutely saturated in product. Not the most hygienic applicator, nor should the brush be used to try to blend out High Beam. That's actually be a total disaster, like I said the brush is just loaded with product, so you'd end up with more highlighter on than you'd need for a week. I use the brush to dot the product on them and blend with my fingers. Anyway, packaging is simple and looks nice enough, not super sanitary though. It kinda reminds me of nail polishing packaging with the brush and all.
High Beam is a light creamy peachy pink highlight with a thin texture. This liquid highlight blends with ease. Only the littlest bit is needed. I use about eight tiny dots of product per cheek bone or two under the brow. That may seem like a lot, but really it's not. Once blended out, High Beam takes on a shimmery, ever so slightly pink tone. The shimmer particles are small and only noticeable if you look quite closely. The only way anybody else will see any actual shimmer from High Beam is if they're seriously invading your personal space.
I find High Beam to be quite similar in color to That Gal, Benefit's brightening face primer. High Beam has more of a pearlescent finish. They're not dupes or anything, they're not even the same kind of product, I'm just commenting on the similar shade. Compared to a similar product like the golden hued Benefit's Girl Meets Pearl, High Beam gives a much more day time appropriate, softer, more natural highlight that gives the look of healthy, well moisturized skin, as opposed to a candle lit glow. High Beam is excellent for highlighting both the cheek and brow bone. The effect of High Beam lasts all day long no matter where I put it. I don't agree with Benefit that this liquid highlighter would suit all skin tones. It's slight pinkness would likely look pretty fake on those with very warm or very dark skin, if you fit into one of those categories you should probably opt for Girl Meets Pearl.
I like the naturally highlighted look that Benefit's High Beam gives. Luminescent is the perfect work to describe it, good vocabulary Benefit. The texture is thin but not watery and it blends easily. I think this highlighter is best suited to cooler complected people, just because of it's light pinky peach tinge. The packaging is function but some may prefer something a little more sanitary. As much as I like High Beam, I wouldn't repurchase it because I feel like I can find a much more affordable dupe for it, I've read about a couple of them and I'd like to look into it. If you want to try Benefit's High Beam highlighter, opt for one of their value kits. This is one of their most loved and most popular products, so it's included in most kits. Its a very good quality highlighter, and I recommend if it you have the money to spend on it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2012 11:30:00 AM More reviews by kaylsy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

ive had a few bottles of this, its gorgeous to highlight cheekbones, id normally use my mac 128 brush for it.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2012 10:41:00 AM More reviews by sjlc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is very flattering. It lives up to its name.
At first I didn't notice a difference but it's just the lighting and the fact that this product isn't glittery. If you feel like its not enough layer! Also, elf offers an all over face whip that has the same general idea...more of a soft lilac color....and A LOT more shimmer and shine. Try it first and if you're not a fan it's $1..and then go try high beam. I suggest one of benefits cheek kits that are so popular. Small size in that kit so you can try it first with one other blush and benetints.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2012 6:51:00 PM More reviews by Sta1cee

I've never incorporated a highlighter into my makeup routine before since everything I tried was too shimmery for my liking. Now, I feel incomplete unless I have High Beam on.

I heard about High Beam for such a long time (who hasn't) but the price tag kept me away from making the purchase. Well, while shopping at Sephora, I found Full Glam Ahead! kit for $12. It has travel-sized High Beam, Stay Don't Stray, and BadGal Lash Mascara. Bought it and couldn't be happier. High Beam is a perfect pinkish high lighter that doesn't look like you put glitter all over yourself and adds gentle radiance to your face. It's easy to apply and is very blendable. You only need to use a small amount so the travel size will last a good full year...if not more.

The only thing I don't like about this product is the price. I think it's far too steep, especially if you consider the fact that there are dupes out there and other great high lighters for a much smaller price.

So I would recommend trying this product in a kit but I don't think the price for a full-sized product is justified unless cost is not an issue for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2012 4:11:00 PM More reviews by kikibeesquirrel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Generally I wouldn't be interested in trying a product like this. To my surprise, I love it! I would recommend putting some on your finger then mixing your foundation with it for an all over natural glow.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2012 9:20:00 PM More reviews by KoKoJammie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is one of my favorite products that Benefit has to offer. Yes, it's pricey BUT you get your bang for the buck with this. The size of the bottle is comparable to that of nail polish. That may or may not seem small to you, but think about how much of this you actually need -- only very little because a a wee bit goes a long way. This lasts a very long time. I dab a little of this on my cheek bones and in the areas where the sun naturally hits my face. My skin has an instant beautiful glow without making me look shiny or greasy. I'd recommend to everyone because it's universally flattering.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2012 11:35:00 PM More reviews by Lydia07

This is a pretty nice highlighter but due to the price I doubt I will purchase it again. It works with me when I am pale so its a good highlighter for fair skin. Nice and glowy on cheeks without being too glittery or shimmery. It does not work when I have a fake tan though. Its just too pale and pink and I can't blend it well enough for it to look good on tan skin. Something more golden would work better if you are not fair. Not crazy about the bottle. Have had a little less than a year and what is left is starting to dry up and I doubt I will be able to get it all out of the bottle. Its a nice product but going to look for something cheaper and something I can use when I'm not pale.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2012 11:08:00 PM More reviews by phoebeweatherfield

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

As far as the product itself, this is the best highlighter out there (at least for my very fair skin). I wear it every day, and it makes me look glowy and healthy (or at least, something more like healthy and less "works too hard, drinks too much coffee"). I will cease to mess around with other highlighters. I like that it's pearlescent rather than glittery or shimmery--I feel like the sheen is subtle enough that I can wear it to work in my fairly conservative profession and won't look like I'm back living the glitter-encrusted life of my late-90s pre-teen self. My only complaint is the packaging--for some reason a little bit of product tends to kind of cake around the mouth of the bottle (though this may have to do with the fact that I carry it around in my makeup back so it gets jostled a lot). But it's only a minor annoyance, and worth putting up with for a great product.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2012 5:18:00 PM More reviews by BlueTutu

This highlighter suits my NC15/20 skin perfectly. There is some noticeable shimmer through it so I have to be careful if I'm using it during the day. Even though it's quite expensive I've had the same bottle for 2+ years so was def worth the investment. Don't like the packaging, it gathers around the neck of the bottle and becomes crusty. It's easy to clean but a bit yucky all the same.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2012 7:57:00 PM More reviews by dolledup21

I just purchased this a few days ago and so far im loving this! the pearly pink compliments my cool pink tone skin perfectly!! it give the perfect glow, not over the top just natural, healthy and lovelyy. just how i like it!!