November 21, 2014 | 1685 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2012 6:44:00 AM More reviews by Emilee26

This is fantastic, got it in the duty free shop for such a good price. I love the way it evens out skin and eye shadows go on smoothly and last longer on top of it. Saving my foundation as well as I don't apply it on eyelids anymore, I just use this. Fantastic product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2012 6:37:00 PM More reviews by anjelykah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

If I'm going for a minimal makeup look, this speeds up my routine. It evens out my eyelids and gives me a well rested appearance. Also, I have very oily skin and painterly acts as a good eye shadow base by making my eye shadow last longer. Truly a great product!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2012 8:48:00 PM More reviews by klasia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i wouldn't buy this particular color again but i'd like to buy other colors to try out. it's actually my fault for not testing it out at the counter! i researched on mac paint pots beforehand and the 2 colors that always popped up were rubenesque and painterly. i chose painterly thinking it was more neutral and i'd get more wear out of it. i should've known just by seeing the color (it has a pinkish undertone to it) that it would cast a gray pallor on my lids since i have a yellow undertone (i am nc 30/40). i usually am strict about trying out stuff especially if it costs more than 10usd but the tester just looked so used up and icky that i decided to just gamble and rely on the reviews. now i've learned that reviews are great and dependable up to a certain point only and i really MUST still TRY PUTTING IT ON to see what really looks good on me! since the color didn't suit me, i really had to put eyeshadow to cover it up (i had initial plans on just using a crease color). setting the color choice mistake aside, this product is good. it made shadow color stay remarkably longer and it made the color show so much better. since i have really oily lids, the consistency was great as it "dried" up my lids a bit--probably why my eye shadow lasted for more than 6 hours!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2012 8:16:00 PM More reviews by HunterGray

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

If you have dry or sensitive skin, I'd skip this. I purchased this with the intention of using it on days where I didn't want to wear a ton of eyeshadow, but I wanted to cover up the redness/veins on my eyelids, since concealer always creases on me. I thought it would make a nice eyeshadow base as well. However, on the first use, it completely dried out my eyelids and made them red and sore. This has happened with quite a few high end eye primers, so i'm not sure if it's an allergy, or what. Just to be sure, I used this again, abd had the same thing happen. Also I found that it didn't apply particularly evenly. I think it would look ok with eyeshadow on top, but on its own I was not impressed. That, and the fact that it made my eyelids dry out makes it one star for me. The packaging is nice though.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2012 4:53:00 AM More reviews by ashalou

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This was my first ever MAC purchase but I initially went to the MAC counter to purchase a paint pot in another colour. The sales person suggested Painterly, as the other one I was interested in (I can't remember the name of it now) was very shimmery. I'm glad she was so up front and honest with me. I love how this primes my eyelids and holds my eyeshadows in place with no creasing. It's also nice just on its' own.
I find that applying with my fingers is the best way to blend it on smoothly. I put some on the middle finger of one hand, rub some from that finger onto the middle finger of the other hand, which helps to warm up the product and give it more 'slip'. Once applied, I then blend it in with my clean ring fingers. If more is needed, I go back to the middle fingers and apply a bit more, then blend with ring fingers and so on until I have the desired coverage. Doing it this way ensures that I don't over do it as can happen when applying with a brush. I saw this done in a tutorial and it's been the best way to get an even, non cakey finish. I will mention that I do have oily lids which possibly helps when applying.

I initially didn't realise that this is an eyeshadow. I'd only ever used it as a primer but now I will have double the use. I am an NW30 and find this color a perfect match which evens out the skintone on my lids beautifully. Would repurchase but this pot is going to last a very long time, so long as it doesn't dry out as some reviewers have suggested.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2012 4:11:00 AM More reviews by tuhsang

I've used this product since November of 2011, and ever since them I can tell eyeshadows are much less prone to creasing.
I have very oily monolids; therefore, even UDPP cannot even stop my eyeshadows from creasing. Usually, when I get back from school, over half of my lids are smudged.
When I started using this over my UDPP, none of my eyeshadows have creased, with the occasional smudging in my inner corner. But then again, I live in the south where summers get pretty darn hot, AND I have monolids.
Overall, I love this product. However, I will most likely not be repurchasing since there is SO much product. I doubt I will be able to finish this in the next three years, even if I use it every single day. By then, I'm sure I would be more than willing to try out something else!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2012 11:03:00 PM More reviews by rachpayne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff! The MAC makeup artist put it on me when I went in to find some wedding make-up. I didn't end up buying it because a friend of mine had it. But I took the leap and bought it for myself this time around. I'm not a big makeup person, but love how certain hues make my green eyes pop. While this painterly paint pot is technically a nude/beige, I find that with my undertones in my skin, it gives it a little pink/purple tint, and really makes my eyes stand out. I use just this for daily wear, and not a lot... but only a little, so it doesn't cake or crease. Its a good purchase :)

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2012 4:46:00 PM More reviews by EllaKarres

There is one thing I like about this product and it is the packaging! Having said that it it a waste of money for me: it looks flat, creases like crazy even when I put the thinnest layer of it(and normally I can wear eyeshadows even without primer), looks quite dull and flat but most of all I'm allergic to it. So it dries my eyelids to the point they will get chapped and even have small cracks, which is both ugly and really painful.
Overall, stays on for 5 minutes but leaves me suffering for a week!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2012 11:11:00 AM More reviews by hamelma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really don't think paint pots work well on middle aged eyes. They are on the drying side, and make my eyelids look creepy and cakey.

Mac MAs always put these paint pots on everyone, and it's pretty clear they understand nothing about how makeup needs to be applied differently as people age.

Evenin my early forties, I am already finding paint pots and shadow primers are a no no. I'd much rather have the veins or dark shadows show through than have cakey, crepey eyelids.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by cchughes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a nude cream eyeshadow I use as a base/primer. This provides an even canvas for my shadows. I find that it does crease after 8 or so hours, so taking off a lippy for that. The pigmentation and quality is good overall, but I dislike the price! I will be sticking to the Maybelline Color Tattoos, but will be picking up this shade again due to it giving a nice nude base. I will probably wear primer under, however.