September 19, 2014 | 1890 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2012 4:46:00 PM More reviews by EllaKarres

There is one thing I like about this product and it is the packaging! Having said that it it a waste of money for me: it looks flat, creases like crazy even when I put the thinnest layer of it(and normally I can wear eyeshadows even without primer), looks quite dull and flat but most of all I'm allergic to it. So it dries my eyelids to the point they will get chapped and even have small cracks, which is both ugly and really painful.
Overall, stays on for 5 minutes but leaves me suffering for a week!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2012 11:11:00 AM More reviews by hamelma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really don't think paint pots work well on middle aged eyes. They are on the drying side, and make my eyelids look creepy and cakey.

Mac MAs always put these paint pots on everyone, and it's pretty clear they understand nothing about how makeup needs to be applied differently as people age.

Evenin my early forties, I am already finding paint pots and shadow primers are a no no. I'd much rather have the veins or dark shadows show through than have cakey, crepey eyelids.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by cchughes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a nude cream eyeshadow I use as a base/primer. This provides an even canvas for my shadows. I find that it does crease after 8 or so hours, so taking off a lippy for that. The pigmentation and quality is good overall, but I dislike the price! I will be sticking to the Maybelline Color Tattoos, but will be picking up this shade again due to it giving a nice nude base. I will probably wear primer under, however.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2012 9:39:00 PM More reviews by solidcake

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a HG of mine. I have tried other bases or primers or whatever (UD, NYX, etc.) but this is by far the best. I cannot go without it now. When I use this, (which is everyday), my eyeshadows just DON'T crease, ever, even if I've been going for over 12 hours working in the hospital and hit the gym afterward. I have had the same jar for over a year now with tons left. Bang for your buck there.

I have really pale skin and veiny eyelids, and this covers them up perfectly. I have tried it on friends of mine with darker skin tones and it blends in perfectly and has worked just as well on them. I really can't go without this product now. I've tried a couple other colours but this is the main one I can't live without because it blanks out my discolorations, sucks up all the eyeshadow I apply, and makes it last for eternity. Must have.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2012 6:14:00 PM More reviews by aurora42

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my second purchase of Painterly. My first purchase was from a MAC SA recommendation when I complained of eye shadow not lasting through the day. This works as a neutral base (matches my eyelid color almost exactly) so that eye shadows are more ‘true’ to their color and last a lot longer on me. I won’t be without it now.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/28/2012 7:44:00 PM More reviews by CarlyCut

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is one of those products that you THINK you really need, but until you buy it and try it (or just try it) you soon realize that you don't need it and never will. I think this product is supposed to be more of a cream eyeshadow, with a definite unnatural pigment. At first, Painterly seemed to match my skin perfectly, but in certain lights it looks noticeably pink/purple, especially if you look at swatches of it online compared to Bare Study.

Anyway, I thought this was a product that was supposed to intensify eyeshadows, but it really changes their undertone...completely. For instance I LOVE Urban Decay's Toasted, and it's a pinky taupe copper color, but with Painterly underneath, it turned into a purple-gray color. Not only did the color change bother me, but this made my eyelids look cakey and splotchy.

If you already put foundation and/or concealer on your eyes before you put on your eyeshadow (like me) then you REALLY don't need this product. If you love the color of your eyeshadows and don't want them to turn into cooler versions, then you really don't need this product.

If you don't wear anything on your eyelids and want to even out the skin on your eyelids, and if you have a pinkish skintone and don't plan on wearing eyeshadow over this, then I think this product is for you. But then again, you might as well use foundation to even out your eyelids; you can buy a whole bottle of decent foundation for the same price as this little jar, and find a color that will actually match your skintone (I don't know too many people who have pink/purple skin).

Other than that, I have no idea what these paint pots are supposed to be other than stand-alone cream eyeshadows in odd color choices. It seems like people have a thousand uses for Painterly, but I really think it sucks for what I was hoping it would do (intensify my eyeshadow colors). The only thing I would ever use it for is Halloween makeup or Day of The Dead makeup, and only because I have already bought it and it's just sitting on my dresser and I feel like I have to do SOMETHING with it!

12 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2012 6:35:00 PM More reviews by bailokaye

I don't know if I got a bad one of these or what. It was SO dry that when I tried to blend it out on my eyelid it just dissapeared. And not the 'good' dissapeared in the sense that it blended with my skintone and covered the darkness and veins on my lid. I was hoping this was what it would do, kind of like a concealer and eyeshadow base in one, but nope. Really dissapointed.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 11:39:00 AM More reviews by pillager13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Painterly looks nice when first applied--very nude, perfect base for eyeshadow, but also good if you like have a natural, nude style. What I dislike about it is that by midday, it dries my eyelids out and makes them look very lizard-y and cracked. Not a good look at all. Wouldn't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 4:17:00 PM More reviews by ayling

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was recommended this by an SA who seemed to dislike my creased eyelids at the end of a long day :) I wasn't familiar with the paint pots and thought it was a base. So that's what I've been using it for -- to cover up veins and discoloration on my eyelids. It's quite subtle but when I look in the mirror, wow, my brown eyes pop! I love the flawless nude look, and other people have also commented on how "fresh" I look. The only thing is that I'm a NW25 and perhaps I should've bought a slightly warmer shade. I've been recommended soft ochre by a fellow MUAer (thanks Leila!), and I'll try that next. Expensive but overall, a good buy.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2012 9:03:00 PM More reviews by ambdoll

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love my Painterly Paint Pot! For me, it covers any veins or discolorations on my lids and provides a perfect base for my eyeshadows. It extends the amount of time that my eyeshadows last dramatically! I'm addicted to it.