September 16, 2014 | 1727 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 1 of 5 on 10/7/2012 2:49:00 PM More reviews by Krystallulu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I am very disappointed with this foundation. First of all, I used Make Up Forever's HD foundation, and it was pretty good. So I decided to stick with this brand after my HD foundation ran out. I picked the Mat Velvet, and this turned out to be a bad choice. This foundation is super dry when I blend it on my face, it looks cakey and some of the dry spots are peeling even though I put on moisturizer before using the foundation. I don't have oily skin or dry skin. And the package is terrible, there's no pump, the first time I opened it, the liquid just poured out from the bottle totally out of control. I don't know what to do with this foundation, I hate to use it but don't wanna waste it. Def not buying again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2012 12:03:00 PM More reviews by Chloeclover

Luckily, I went into Sephora to ask for a tester (week supply) of the MUFE HD foundation but the makeup girl insisted that I try the Mat Velvet instead since I told her my face tends to get super oily and that it is acne prone. So I ended up getting this. I have only used it for one day and I really do not like it even though I really want to. When first applied, it can look a little dry.. weird eventhough I moisturize. It didnt bother me too much since the dry areas were my chin and forehead, which get greasy anyways. This foundation did not hold up on my oily face at all.. 2 hours into wearing it, my face is already shiny, not oily but dewey... I had to resist blotting or putting any powder on. Unfortunately, I couldn't stand it any longer.. I blotted with a napkin and powdered myself.. D: I expected a better quality foundation thats suited for my skin...

Pros:
Matte upon application
Good intentions

Cons:
Looks fake/cakey
Only matte for 2 hours
Needs powder and blotting throughout the day
Oxidizes in oily places

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2012 6:19:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I am a blue-eyed NW10 (NW20 in the summers when tanning from a bottle).

FYI - I think the Karla Sugar swatches photographed just a tiny bit lighter than they are, maybe it's an optical illusion because her arm seems darker than the lightest 4 swatches.

-Application and Coverage: I like to use this as both a foundation and a concealer. I do a thin layer all over my face using a beauty blender, then go back with a concealer brush (I love Sephora's airbrush concealer brush) on my acne scarring and under eye circles. After the first layer, my acne scarring and under eye circles are still visible, but my light freckles are not and my general skin looks even, so I would give the first layer a rating of 50% coverage. I would give the second "concealer" layer a rating of 80% coverage. This foundation, although I would consider it medium-to-full coverage, will not cover your darkest under eye circles and angriest blemishes on its own. It dries to a matte finish very fast, so blending must be done quickly.

-Shade matching and Oxidation:15 is great for N10/15, I find it goes on very light but dries slightly darker. 20 seems to match NW17, and 25 seems to match NW22. I have all 3, as this is one of my favorite foundations to wear year-round. Although the foundation dries maybe half a shade darker, it does not oxidize throughout the day. the foundation will be the same color at the end of the day, as when it dries in the morning.

-Longevity and Oil Control: I have combination skin, with dry patches on my cheeks and oil shine in the corners of my nose and forehead. This foundation lasts a good 12-18 hours on my face in terms of maintaining the coverage it had when I first put it on. It does not fade, especially with setting powder. I do get some oil in the creases of my nose by mid-day, but my forehead stays shine-free. Even with a layer of powder, this is truely a matte-finish foundation.

-Needs primer? finishing spray? I find this goes on fairly smooth and lasts all day regardless of using a primer or finishing spray or not. If you have dry skin, you may want to use a moisturizing primer before applying the foundation, just because this is decently matte, so would show flakes or dry out your skin. Additionally, I like to set it with powder, but that's more so out of habit and desire of full coverage than needing to "set" the foundation.

Overall, this is a great foundation that I have been using for a year and will continue to use. I would recommend it for most people, as it seems pretty versatile, except for those with very dry skin.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2012 1:05:00 AM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

Hm....not really digging the Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet Plus. I bought this foundation for me to wear on nights out that would offer full coverage and decent staying power. Full coverage, yes...Decent staying power, I think not. I went to a concert wearing this foundation and I was absolutely horrified when I came home and looked in the mirror- this foundation had melted off in huge patches- and I have dry skin! I thought this was some sort of joke. Unfortunately I lost my receipt and therefore could not return it. Since I have dry skin and this happened to me, I cannot fathom recommending this to someone with oily skin which is why I gave it such a low rating. The only thing about it for me that is keeping its head above water is that for the first hour that you wear it it does look flawless...but goes quickly downhill from there. I would recommend spending your money elsewhere.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2012 6:52:00 PM More reviews by DottySarah

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

MAC NC42/ Honey in Bobbi Brown/ Honey Beige 60 mat velvet MAKEUPFOREVER
Indian Asian Skin/ Oily

Does mat and does make my skin look velvety.

Good sanitary packaging, a bit pricey but worth the mat break for my oily skin. I have very oily skin in summers, and dry cheeks in winters. I wear this daily and it covers my very dark under eye circles and hyper pigmentation very well. Apply moisturizer first since this foundation is drying and you need to work fast with your brush. Use their concealer first for the under eye bad boys. Then use any colourless finishing powder. Done. Stays on all day even in summers. I need to blot with blotting paper twice in summers but thats my very oily skin really. This foundation is the closest ive gotten to looking smooth.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/29/2012 3:24:00 AM More reviews by BlessedBeauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I hated this foundation it didn't help with my oily skin it made my skin more oily. I applied it very lightly and it still looked really cakey on my face and it eccentuated some dry patches I had it made my face feel gross and dry. I tried 5 diffrent shades and every single one looked really pink on my face so if you have yellow undertones I would not recommend this foundation.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2012 1:53:00 PM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've had my first bottle of this for a couple of years. Maybe that's unsanitary, but oh well. I got the shade #15 Alabaster. I am super fair and this shade comes out of the bottle almost white, but with a damp MAC 187 it blends to match perfectly (not white). The only place I get oily is the t-zone. (Ladies remember foundation is not going to keep your face matte all day, especially if you are an "oil slick". Its like women expect the foundation to do all the work. If your face gets oily, use blotting paper.) Coverage is pretty good and it is buildable if you want fuller coverage. This foundation is okay, but I much prefer my MAC Face & Body because it isn't as heavy.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/20/2012 1:44:00 AM More reviews by Aijamal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Dissapointed,too many cons: did not control oil, looks cakey, accentuates dry patches. Even applying it on primer and using foundation brush didnt help. Threw it away, wont buy it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/17/2012 3:31:00 PM More reviews by mle79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

So with all the rave reviews I decided to give this a try. Boo. Didnt like it. It gives a pretty good coverage but nothing compares to my EL double matte foundation. I found the MUFE was hard to blend in and left me looking streaky. I guess what aint broke dont fix it so Ill continue on with my EL.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2012 3:30:00 PM More reviews by lexanoelle

While this foundation wasn't the WORST foundation I've ever used, it wasn't my favorite. The coverage was decent however I like foundations with fuller coverage (it is buildable though) and it did matify my skin, but I felt that it didn't last as long as I had hoped for, especially since I used the HD microfinish powder with it as well. I am also not a fan of their color selection, or lack thereof. I am satisfied with this product but it did disappoint me a bit.