July 31, 2014 | 1694 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2012 1:17:00 AM More reviews by TrainedDreamer

This is one of the better foundations Ive tried this year. They actually had a color match for my NC10 skin!!! The coverage is sheer but it looked so natural & skin-like.

Although I really liked this foundation, I had to return it. It never lasted on my oily skin no matter what primer/setting powder was used. If you have normal to dry skin though, give this a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2012 1:55:00 AM More reviews by beautyarte

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this foundation! I have really oily skin all over. I am really acne prone and I have plenty of blemishes, although fading I want my foundation to provide maximum coverage of everything and this foundation gets the job done. I am overall satisfied with this product and I have heard a lot of people say that it dries fast and I find that a lot of MUFE products dry fast but they also last forever. Being completely honest I have slept in my makeup (not recommended and doesn't usually happen) and it did not even smudge. I was completely shocked so make sure you do a good job at cleansing so it doesn't contribute to clogged pores. This makeup is very great for oily skin I used this during NYC summer and it did not move! I am definitely going to repurchase this product but I feel like they can have more shades.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2012 8:54:00 AM More reviews by mikxoh

NEW HG! I feel like a traitor because my old HG was MUFE HD. For reference I'm 118 in HD and 30 in Matte velvet.

I've been through about 3-4 bottles of HD and it was getting a bit pricey...I actually remember buying that stuff when it was $40, not $42.

I'm very hesitant and unwilling to stray away from a foundation that has worked so perfectly for me but the price tag was making my college student budget cranky so saving a few bucks wherever I could would be nice.

For the same amount of product [1oz] it's $36! I don't mind that it doesn't have a pump because it's a squeeze tube/bottle - clean and sanitary.

I have wombo combo skin + acne prone skin - VERY oily t-zone and normal cheeks which do get dry in the winter. This foundation actually held up a lot better regarding oil control especially around my nose. MUFE HD would pool up around my nose after a few hours of wear but since I looked so picture perfect in photographs I excused it.

Matte velvet is much better for everyday wear! Now I can save my HD foundation for special occasions and not worry about splurging too much on foundation [which I use almost everyday]

I got a sample of this to try before investing in the full sized tube. The SA at sephora gave me a generous amount which lasted for about 3-4 uses so I got to thoroughly test run this bad boy.

This didn't breakout me out and did what it was suppose to do - oil control. This is a keeper for me :D

rated 3 of 5 on 8/28/2012 5:17:00 AM More reviews by laquiche

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This foundation provides good coverage and dries matte on the skin. It has a correct lasting power, however on my combination skin it doesn't stay matte all day and i get shiny already in the morning.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2012 3:59:00 PM More reviews by MsEvaKumo

As a reference, I am between NC25 and NC30 and I have the shade 40 in Mat Velvet +. I have combination skin--oily t-zone, normal to dry cheeks. I also have acne scarring.

I'll start off saying that this is not a perfect foundation. However, I find myself coming back to it again and again. (I'm actually on my 4th bottle right now.)

MUFE weren't kidding when they named this Mat Velvet. It is very matte--so matte that I must moisturize my face properly and apply a moisturizing primer before wearing this foundation. I actually apply night cream before wearing this; otherwise, it will accentuate flakes and feel dry and mask-like. For me, Mat Velvet looks absolutely gorgeous as long as my face is well moisturized. It has great coverage (so great that I don't have to conceal my dark circles and dark spots) and it photographs incredibly well. I think the matte texture is great because I don't need a powder with this since it sets pretty well without one. I alo find that dewey foundations look less natural and highlight my icepick scars. Mat Velvet, on the other hand, is the only foundation that I've used that effectively makes my icepick scars look less apparent. Obviously, the heavier texture deters me from wearing this as an everyday foundation. But it's great for a night out or a special occasion.

This foundation actually looks pretty natural as long as I use a stippling brush and properly hydrate my skin. In fact, my mom and a stranger complimented me on how radiant my skin looked and they thought I was wearing a tinted moisturizer. But I should point out that the texture of the foundation lacks good spreadability, so using a regular foundation brush or plain fingers actually made it look cakey and gross. Using a damp sponge worked well too, but I find that sponges suck up an excessive amount of product.

As I mentioned, I have to use a primer with this foundation. I have forgotten to use a primer twice in the past, and I found that the foundation oxidized terribly (i.e. it turned darker and orange). But a primer (particularly a nourishing type with antioxidants) will help to make the foundation stay true to its color. Also, the foundation will separate and become blotchy after 5 hours if I don't use a primer or if I fail to moisturize my face properly.

So there it is--4 out of 5. It's not perfect and it definitely requires some extra steps for me (moisturizing, applying primer, and using a stippling brush), but I really love how well it photographs and covers my scars. I guess you can call it a love-hate relationship--except there's definitely more love. =)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2012 4:25:00 AM More reviews by Lakkert

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very oily skin and this is the first foundation i have tired that stays on my face the entire day. I'd say the coverage is medium-full, and it makes my oily and acne covered face look flawless. The color is perfect (30) and it has a gorgeous matte finish. I also love the practical packaging and that it does not break my out. This is just the perfect foundation for me, no cons! I higly recomend this to people with oily/acne prone skin, and I will absolutley repurchase! :)

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by eversojenny

MAC SFF/Powder: NC35/C35
MUFE Mat Velvet+: 40
MUFE HD: 127
Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H: 410 Bisque W
___________________________________________________
My skin tone is a light/tan and my undertone is cool, but VERY, VERY yellow. A dime-sized spot on my forehead is always dry and flaking, as is a half-dollar size spot on my chin. My nose and upper lip are always slicking oil. My cheeks and jaw line are normal. My skin is extremely sensitive and acne prone (especially during TTOTM).

I'm on the hunt for my HG foundation. I wanted a long-lasting foundation with very yellow undertones (moreso than SFF's). I REALLY wanted to love Mat Velvet+ after hearing MakeupByTiffanyD's and FrmHeadtoToe's constant raves... but I couldn't- I can't.

The product applied fine and looked flawless but it definitely exaggerated the dry spots on my face. Also, although I was matched to and bought the #40 (which is supposedly the most yellow product in this line), it looked beige/grey on my skin and was not yellow enough. Boo.

Most importantly, the reason why I had to return the foundation was that it broke me out on my upper lip (where I NEVER, EVER get breakouts) and my chin (where I got THREE CYSTIC ACNES- one of which was the size of a QUARTER- A QUARTER!!!!!!). And yes, I do blame the foundation because nothing else in my skin routine had changed for YEARS other than switching out from SFF to MV+.

_____________
Pros:
- travel-friendly packaging
- applies well
- covers all acne spots and redness well
- looks great in photos

Cons:
- price!!!!!
- no pump
- broke me out BADLY
- not yellow enough (but that may be a pro or con depending on the person)
- exaggerated dry spots

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2012 11:35:00 PM More reviews by LolaLovely

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a product more appropriate for special occasions than for everyday wear. Firstly, when you are matched in the right shade, it comes out very nicely in photographs (both natural light and flash). Secondly, it is very resilient when a setting powder is applied over it--you can sweat it out on the dance floor, and this will remain close to pristine. However, there are unfortunate consequences--it is a bit too good to be true. It has caused me some of the worst breakouts I have ever had--the secret of its resilience is that it blocks your skin's moisture from escaping; all of that sweat clogs up the pores and causes whiteheads, blackheads, and cysts. It wouldn't be such a good idea to use it long term--it is not breathable and it is drying.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2012 11:29:00 AM More reviews by dauncey07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a forever trying new foundations kind of gal, well, until I find thee "one" which I have yet to come across *sigh* Although, I do come across ones that I seem to enjoy for a little while until my skin for some reason begins to break out, or becomes super shiny after an hour or so. I swear my skin just does this to me on purpose, ugh. Anyways after reading quite a few reviews on here on this foundation I decided to give it a try (it was between this and the powder formula) First off, good grief on the price ... I got this, and the setting powder @ Sephora in Canada ($75 later) Yikes! And the foundation bottle isn't even that big? I sure hope it lasts me awhile (I use it pretty much every day) Squeeze bottle is a bonus, definitely great for product control. Coverage is good, actually it's pretty darn good. I have acne scars and it covers them well. Color selection is really good as well, wide range. Lasting power I would say is ok ... but I am a difficult lady to please. Honestly. I have oily skin, like super oily skin and this holds up pretty good. My only complaint about its lasting power is the fact that it rubs off on everything, my phone, clothes, etc. But you get that with many, if not all foundations. Give this a try if you're looking for a foundation with good coverage, and you have oily skin. It keeps you matte for a good portion of the day, just be careful when applying because it tends to dry quickly.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2012 2:27:00 AM More reviews by jesslovescurry

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love how this is matte and stays on much longer than the MUFE HD. I also love the color choices and the yellow undertones. I'm 155-160. It photographs beautifully but it does not really have long wearing power. However, Mac and Tarte have foundations that are thicker in consistency and cover 80% of scarring. But, for everyday use, this one is much healthier with its very thin consistency.