August 27, 2014 | 1821 users online

Powder - Everyday Minerals - Matte Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2008 12:18:00 PM More reviews by golden_chain2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is really good foundation. However, in order to realize its full potential you absolutely have to "set" it with Finishing Dust. I like the Matte the best. Original Glo is a close second.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2008 4:46:00 PM More reviews by rupertlilly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wish I could get behind this product like everyone else has. I’ve now tried 2 sample packs of various foundations and colors and must say I have been disappointed. I do have oily skin in the t-zone and found that this foundation started to get cakey around my nose and chin within an hour. The coverage seemed to fade very quickly as well. I will not be a repeat customer of this product. Also the sample size containers are so small it's almost impossible to get the product out. On the plus side I do commend everyday minerals on offering sample sizes – so we don’t have to waste our money on a full size.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2008 10:26:00 PM More reviews by prsleanansidhe

This is my favorite formula of EM foundation. I have oily/combination skin and live in a hot/humid environment and this works fantastically. With Youngblood, Jane Iredale, or BE, I always got extremely shiny towards midday, but with this, I barely get any breakthrough and it's only on my nose. I like the semi-matte as well, but prefer it only in the winter, as I look a bit too shiny during the summer months. I'm still working with the eye area application, as I have dark circles under my eyes and this gives me spotty coverage there. They have a fantastic selection of colors and their beige category contains the only minerals I have found that aren't too yellow, orange, or pink for my skintone. Overall, the best MMU I have tried. At this price, I'll be stocking up.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2008 1:48:00 AM More reviews by brightpinkflowers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this after reading all the fantastic reviews and also because it is so cheap! But I am very disappointed to find out that the makeup is shimmery! This is not suitable for oily skin in a tropical country. Finishing dust is a better choice for oily skin relative to this product, because it is totally matte. But finishing dust also do not control shine well, sigh.

Update: Try Ettusais 2-way foundation. That is gentle on skin and controls oil so so much better!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2008 9:56:00 PM More reviews by Kandinsky

This does a very good job evening out my skintone without looking mask-like, and has very good coverage w/out using a lot. I am NC30/Chanel Shell/GA 5 (Asian, yellow-neutral) and use Medium Beige. I like using this with the Everday Minerals Flat Foundation Brush (a steal at $10) and the Sephora #25 Bronzer Brush - so the investment for a good brush is imperative. I get great coverage with less product by first spritzing my face with MAC Fix+ or a MAC Charged Waters, then buff the powder into my skin. This seals the makeup (no need for loose powder afterwards) and prevents that powdery look inherent to powder foundations. I use a retinoid at night and can get flaky but using EM Matte Foundation while wet elminates flakes. This product has the right combination of performance, price, and ease of use which earns it a 4.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2008 1:56:00 AM More reviews by JessoXD

This and the semi-matte formula are my HG foundations! The semi-matte is great for me on most days and the matte is perfect for my oilier days. This make-up feels like I'm barely wearing any (in fact sometimes I actually forget I'm wearing it), seems to actually help clear my skin up, offers perfect, buildable coverage, and is one of few make-up brands to carry a shade light enough for me. MAC makes a NW15 concealer that's light enough for me, but even their regular NW15 foundations are too dark, if that tells you anything. I wear their old balancing powder that I don't think they make anymore on my T-zone, then foundation, then finishing powder and my make-up lasts all day and my oil doesn't break through making me a shiny nightmare a few hours after application (or at all) like it does with almost every other foundation I've ever worn.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2008 11:03:00 PM More reviews by itsyourluv68

I love this foundation. It doesnt make my skin itch like BE did. I used to love BE and thought nothing would ever come close to it until I tried EDM after reading reviews from here. Also, it is a lot cheaper and you get a lot more color choices. BE looked orange on me. Thank god I found this.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/23/2008 4:06:00 AM More reviews by mandyg_81

This product made my skin break out horribly, and dried out my cheeks to the point where my skin started to peel and itch! I have normal if slightly oily skin and have not have problems with acne for years.

Coverage is also not that good, by the end of the day my forehead looked very shiny and overall the effect was quite dull.

Only good point is the fact that you can trial the makeup for free (exc. freight charges), so the little pots can be recycled I suppose.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/22/2008 5:01:00 PM More reviews by queenelizabeth1685

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I got the Sample kit form the side and chose the darkest shade for my NC40 complexion. I will not be writing a long review but I will just tell you that none of the colors that they recommend for olive skin match me. Also I do not know if it is just me but I found them quite difficult to blend too. So one advice to all my lovely latinas out there, do not get this product, save the shipping fees for something else, it is not worth it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2008 2:38:00 PM More reviews by Katie5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It pains me to write a negative review for this, because I am pleased that it's worked for so many people, but I have my reservations about this foundation. Sorry this review is so long - I thought it might help to put little sub-headings so people could skip to the bits they're curious about...

SHADES: Well, it is so generous of EM to give free samples. It is also entirely necessary, because they have such a wide array of shades (which is a great thing, but the way they look on the site isn't the best representation of them in reality). I'm really fair but I use fake tan, and I have tried Fairly Light Neutral, Sunkissed Fair, Sandy Fair and Fair Medium. In a way, all of them were pretty close, but for some reason they felt too heavy. One thing I've found is that even the colour they look in the pot isn't that true to how they look on the skin. I thought sunkissed fair was the closest match, but it looked too dark and a bit mask-like. So again, the sample kit is a brilliant idea - the vast array of shades is a good thing, but also a bit confusing, so definitely make sure to try the free samples before getting a full-sized pot.

FINISH: On the plus side, this covered most of my acne-scars pretty well.Overall, though, I must say that I found the finish a bit too heavy. I have acne-prone skin and an oily t-zone, and I always wear liquid foundation and powder, so I am used to the feel of make-up on my skin, but this still felt like too much. It gave a finish which was quite obvious when I looked in the mirror, and it didn't keep my skin matte for very long. I had to blot quite a few times over the course of a day when I was using this. It didn't feel sticky so much as slightly greasy. The heavy feeling might be because it was difficult to apply sparingly (I'll explain why in a moment). I thought I would be the ideal candidate for the matte formula, but I would urge anyone considering these foundations to try a couple of finishes as well as a couple of shades, because this didn't feel right for me, even though I like full coverage.

APPLICATION: This was pretty easy to blend, especially with EM's long handled kabuki. It was slightly difficult to blend away any gaps or tidemarks, but I'm sure this would be improved with practice, and I don't really have any complaints application-wise. The main problem was with the packaging and how this hindered application, which I will cover below.

PACKAGING: This foundation comes in a clear plastic pot with a small sifter and a plastic lid. I have the sample sized pots and also the 2.5g one. Both are infuriating! The sifter is so fine that there is no way of getting enough powder on the brush without removing the sifter and tipping it into the lid. BUT the lids are way too small, so the powder goes everywhere when you're trying to dip the brush into it. This makes it impossible to get an even amount on the brush, and you end up with all the powder concentrated on a small area of the brush head, which makes for uneven application. I think I ended up over-applying because of this. If I had liked this foundation, I would definitely consider transferring it to a larger pot, which would allow the swirl and tap motion that you need to apply it properly.

VERDICT: If you can find a good colour match, this might be good for those who like a very matte finish or have oily skin all over (not just t-zone). I certainly wouldn't assume that the matte formula is best just because you are acne-prone / combination - definitely try more than one finish. I have given this three lippies because it didn't irritate me in any way, and actually gave pretty good coverage. I was disappointed with the finish, but only because I felt that I fitted the profile for the matte formula and it didn't deliver. People with different skin types or requirements in a foundation might well disagree with me, and I don't want to drag the average down too much because of personal preference! I wouldn't repurchase, but considering you can get this for free (apart from postage and packing), it is definitely worth a try.