November 23, 2014 | 1847 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2008 10:23:00 AM More reviews by uraznbabygurl

Not bad, but I don't think it's for me. I think many customers will be in awe of extensive range of colors but I was unable to find a match among the samples I got: B3 (way too pink), W3 (too light and peachy), and G3 (right depth, but too yellow). It does look natural and feels light, but there's no point in buying again if the colors don't match.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2008 8:06:00 PM More reviews by MumAgain

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OMG!!! My skin has never looked so good! I can't even achieve this same finish with EDM which I have to buff to death and still doesn't last as long. Alima lasts all day and stays colour-true (I'm Warm 4 / MAC NC40). The coverage is excellent and very buildable and I can't see my pores YAY! Classy packaging unlike the cheap EDM containers that make a hell of a mess. Customer service and shipping to Australia is the best. Sorry Glominerals but this is my new HG of mineral makeup!

Update 6/29/2009 This has started to make my skin itch especially during hot weather so I have stopped using this for now and sticking to liquid foundation.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/15/2008 4:29:00 PM More reviews by sixdemonbag

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a sad review to write. When Philosophy discontinued my tried and true 4-in-1 Supernatural Foundation (I know, lots of people didn't like this one, but it was perfect for me in shade, coverage and application), I had to reluctantly search for something new. I tried, lord knows I tried to love Alima foundation. I purchased sample after sample, first trying the logical choices alone, then mixing and matching first two, then three together.. even four once in a fevered attempt to find the perfect variables. Each day hoping I was going to have my a-ha! moment. But alas, no. I spent almost a full month trying to hit on my perfect shade, bundles arriving weekly, full of promise.. but all I ended up with was a mountain of tiny empty plastic jars and a sad discolored face. How was this possible with their impressive color selection? I am fair, with plenty of yellow undertones... so why did the palest of the pales and yellowest of yellows STILL leave me with a dark ruddy undertone to my skin? This one just wasn't made for me.... I found the right foundation in, of all places, my local drugstore. Physician's Formula. Go figure. Oh btw... the Alima brushes are awesome. I still use the foundation and blush brushes with my Physician's Formula (whose brushes leave much to be desired). To end on yet another positive note for Alima, I love their stance on purity and environmentalism (they recycle the jars if you send them back). Kudos for that. Wish this one worked out.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2008 2:11:00 AM More reviews by stemi27

I love alima mineral foundation. The best out of the others I've used by far. Best range of colours so can get a perfect match! It took me a three go's to get the perfect colour though, as it looks different from when you first put it on after it fuses with your skin, if you have oily skin it can discolour it slightly... only slightly though. And if you put MAC prep and prime powder on beforehand to soak up the oil it's great. Always check in natural sunlight people! Anyway if you find your perfect match is discolouring don't be shy to use the colour correction powders! They are great also. I've got the pistachio green one to eliminate redness and boy does it work in conjunction with the foundation powder.
Also, make sure you have a decent foundation brush and not put too much on! Alima's one is great.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2008 8:07:00 PM More reviews by dvdgal

I've been using this product for one year now. I like it a lot.
Pros:
1. Inexpensive. You get a huge jar of product and it lasts forever.
2. Alima has the largest color selections on the market so far. I have pale and yellow undertone, which makes it very hard for me to find the right color from other MMUs. But I found it in Alima.
3. Does not break me out. I have acne-prone, oily skin. So, this is the main reason I use Alima.
4. Coverage is good and can last the whole day. Although you will have to reapply during the day if you wanna have a flawless look all day long.
Cons:
1. Alima's primer is no good. Does not do anything for me.
2. Alima's concealer is useless as well. The powder does not cover any of my red scars and just sits on top of my skin all day long. Dry out my under eye skin and still can't cover my dark circle.
3. Finishing powder is not good as well. It's too thick and does not control my oily skin.
Bottom line is Alima's foundation is the best I've used so far. And I have tried Everyday and BareMinerals.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2008 4:52:00 PM More reviews by bitterchoc0787

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Great product! Goes on smooth and never cakes. My skin looks nearly flawless with this foundation. I use it with Everyday Minerals's flat-top brush and it really makes a difference compared with my previous brushes. Using this foundation, people think that I'm not wearing make-up and I have naturally such nice skin. I do have pretty good skin thanks to MUA, found pretty good suggestions from this site, the honey mask being one of them. This foundation makes my skin look better than just good. I'm fair with pink undertones, Warm 2 (Cardamom) worked great for me. Use it with Jane's blushing petal blush. Perfect!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2008 9:11:00 PM More reviews by snake_hips

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my HG foundation. I've been using it for about a year. I absolutely love that you can order samples to find the perfect shade - and they really do seem to have a shade for everyone. I love the matte, yet not TOO matte finish, the ease of application (I use the BE kabuki to apply it), the incredible coverage (and it looks so natural), the way it lasts throughout the day (I do have to powder my nose a few times in the summer, but that's to be expected with combo skin). I use their concealer as well, and the finishing powder on top. Just lovely. The new packaging is pretty, too. And hey, they're from Portland - yay!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2008 12:23:00 PM More reviews by Peaches27

Well, I just got my samples a few days ago, and so far I like it. I'm ordering more because the color wasn't exactly what I wanted but after I asked for advise from the makeup artist I now know what I need. It's a little more matte then what I'm used though.
Good, even coverage and stays put. Too soon to tell about breakouts but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
EDIT- Well, I just can't do it...it's too matte for me. I really wanted to like this but after using it for a few days I just couldn't handle the duleness. Bummer...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2008 12:35:00 AM More reviews by HapaDynazty

I love how this looks when I first put it on..smooth and even, natural. Too bad after my workday it can't hold up in my tzone and im left with no foundation especially on my nose. Stays great on my cheeks.. Probably will work better with those who's tzone isn't as oily as mine.

UPDATE: 11/10/08 So, I tried this again in colder weather (Nov) and this is actually holding up great since there is no heat or humidity. So, I guess this can be my winter foundation. I'm glad! :o) UPDATE AGAIN!! 12/20/08 The colors in this line are a little strange. The shades go from lightest 0 to 1, 2, 3 darker going up, I forget what's the highest most dark number. I wear warm 2 & swapped for olive 1 but olive one is a shade or two darker even though it is in the "1" group. I can actually wear both, it is slightly darker than the warm 2 with a more olive undertone but works. I *might* like olive more but it might be a tad dark for winter time.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2008 4:09:00 PM More reviews by ccj36

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am so glad I found this line! I have used Bare Minerals (too shiny but great coverage) and Mary Kay Mineral Makeup (not shiny but NO coverage). I have pretty good skin, but I am prone to breakouts. What I was looking for was a mineral makeup that didn't feel heavy, evened out my skintone, and lasts all day. Alima does all of that....even in Texas, in the summer! I like how you can just sweep it on your skin like a loose powder rather than having to buff it in. The website is very helpful as well; they offer different application techniques depending on your skin type and the kind of coverage you want. I suggest buying samples before buying the full-size containers of foundation, b/c they run a little light. I use Neutral 2, and it's a perfect match, and I'm pretty fair. You don't have to use much at all to get nice coverage, so a full-size container will last awhile.

Make sure you peruse the website; Alima is a great company with great products.

EDIT: (3/7/10) I recently switched to an oil-free cleanser and started having minor breakouts. After I looked on the Alima website, I saw that they recommend using an oil-based makeup remover to make sure you remove all the foundation. I started using an oil-based cold cream to remove the foundation before using my oil-free cleanser, and the problem has been solved. Thought I'd mention that since many people remark that they have breakouts after using Alima mmu after a few days.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No