Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 3/22/2013 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Made me breakout with painful cystic acne. Beware if you are acne-prone.

on 3/22/2013 12:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I bought the Spring Valley Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil from Wal-Mart. I have very dry hair caused by chemical damage and had heard rave reviews about coconut oil being a miracle worker for dry hair. I tried this three times, each time slathering my hair from root to tips and leaving it on for ten hours straight each time. It only took a couple of lathers with shampoo to get it out, and each time, I swear my hair felt even drier than before I used it. It did NOTHING to improve the look, feel, or texture of my hair. On the plus, it smells great, but all it did was make me hungry all day long when it was sitting on my hair. It broke me out badly along my hairline and all over my back and chest, even though it only came into contact with those areas when I was in the shower rinsing it out. Total waste of time and money on my part.

on 3/22/2013 12:25:00 PM

I use raw unrefined coconut oil for everything! I love the smell! It doesn't last long if you're worried about smelling tropical. I use it as a makeup and eye makeup remover. It is literally the best eye makeup remover and the most economical. After I wipe it all off with a wet washcloth I dab a bit around my eyes. Use coconut oil as lip balm, body moisturizer, cuticle cream, the list goes on.
Don't forget to cook with it too! My favorite is to mix some with unpopped popcorn and salt, place in paper bag, and make your own microwave popcorn. Much cheaper and way more healthy!

on 3/22/2013 11:01:00 AM

UPDATE: Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that this is the cause of the congested skin on my face. I still continue to use it as a body moisturizer and eye 'cream', but a word of caution to those who are break-out prone.

Ever since reading up on the health and skin benefits of eating and applying topically, I have been hooked and cannot tell enough friends about this stuff.

One study indicated that women who ate 2 TBS/day had less belly fat than those who didn't eat it. I use this instead of butter or EVOO when cooking and I'm not ashamed to admit I'll even eat it right out of the jar. It's so creamy and delicious.

I've also replaced my daily facial moisturizer with this and I've really been loving the effects. You really need to use the smallest amount or else an oily residue will remain on your skin. Does not break me out or make me oilier throughout the day, in fact I really think it has truly helped suppress my oil production lately.

I have coconut oil on auto-ship from VitaCost because I never want to be without it. Truly a miracle product!!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other

I slathered coconut oil over my entire body, but a day or so after, I got an ugly allergic reaction all over my legs, arms, and neck :( I really wanted to like this stuff after all of the rave reviews. Besides that,

It kind of sits on your skin for a while. I'd rather have something that feels like it actually moisturizes.
I really like it for my hair and nails. I leave it in my hair before I shower and wash my hair normally. I didn't even need to use conditioner afterwards. Helps with icky dry skin around my nails. I put it on my eyelashes to condition them.

I'd give it a 5 for hair and nails, but for my skin, I'd give it a one.

on 3/17/2013 6:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I've used this every way you can, and some ways work better than others in my case. I was really hoping I'd be one of the people who can use this on the face, as my skin is super-dry. Unfortunately, I'm one of the unlucky ones who find it comedogenic. I didn't have one of the monster breakouts people sometimes write about, but I did get two or three new blemishes which were definitely not the 'purging' type -- they weren't perfect little whiteheads but rather hard, red bumps. I also noticed my pores looked clogged. I'm back to using almond and/or argan oil instead... I wanted to get the negative out of the way first!

On my body and hair, I find coconut oil simply amazing. It's the best hair masque I've used, actually, and I often have trouble rinsing out even normal, light conditioners. I have very fine individual hairs but just tons and tons and tons of them. I leave the coconut oil on overnight, and by the morning it's almost dried into my hair. It rinses out easily with a normal amount of shampoo, and my hair is shiny and frizz-free. I would recommend this once a week, but you could use it more often if you have a lot of damage.

As a body lotion, it sinks in quickly and leaves me hydrated for at least a day (I have very flaky skin in the winter, so this is a big deal). I make sure to spread it under my arms, as it works well as a deodorant. I noticed that it also did good work repairing my skin, and not just moisturizing. I had horrible bumps along my upper thighs from wearing tights on dry skin all winter, and they're almost gone after just a few weeks using coconut oil!

on 3/15/2013 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is one of my go to products. It used to be too expensive for me compared to other oils but since I found the LouAnne brand in a 30 oz. "tub" at Wal- mart for $5.00 it is a must have, even if its only food grade and not extra virgin, organic or whatever . I use this as my makeup remover, a leave in hair conditioner and overnight deep hair conditioner, lightwieght body moisturizer or even sugar scrubs. Coconut oil has been proven to actually penetrate hair and protect it from protein loss, thereby making it stronger. You need to leave it on hair for 14 hrs. to reap all the benefits, thats why I generally use it as my daily leave in after washing. I have oily skin so prefer the lighter feel of coconut oil to any other food-based oils and since I have started using it as my makeup remover I dont even get my monthly "PMS pimples". The only problem is that under 76 degrees coconut oil is a solid, and it is difficult to get out of the tub but it melts instantly in hands. Its not the best for sugar scrubs in the winter due to this fact but all in all its a winner. HG product!

on 3/12/2013 7:10:00 AM

Removes blackheads and reduces pores like magic. After approx a month of daily use as a makeup remover at night (for my tzone) I no longer have a need for pore filling type of primers. There are so many uses for this. Read the reviews and do your own research. I really think you are doing yourself a disservice if you do not purchase and experiment with this for both skincare and hair care not to mention the endless positives in healthcare as well.

on 3/11/2013 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

what is lotion? since i started using coconut oil a year ago, i rarely ever use lotion anymore. post-shower, coconut oil is a dream to apply. smells delicious and melts onto ur body so nicely. while yes it is pretty greasy after u apply it, the moisturzing effects on ur skin just beat the greasyness. i try to use natural and organic products as much as i can, and coconut oil is so versatile. i also use coconut oil as a gentle eye makeup remover, takes off all my lipstick, mascara, eyeliner, eyeshadow in practically one swipe. i've also stopped buying makeup remover since coconut oil does the trick!

on 3/9/2013 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I only discovered coconut oil about 2 years ago & I would never be without again. I use Parachute coconut oil (only because I have bought it when I have been in India) and a 500ml bottle lasts at least 7-8 months.

To liquefy coconut oil, I run the hot tap in my bathroom sink, fill the basin up & then pop the bottle in it turns to liquid in a minute and stays in liquid form until the water turns tepid.

I use this all over my body as a moisturiser every other day and even on my face when it feels dehydrated. You only need a couple of teaspoons to moisturise your whole body.

Since regularly applying coconut oil, my skin feels more supple and some stretch marks seem "softer" in appearance

I also, use a drop or two of coconut oil to tame/condition frizzy hair especially if the weather is either raining or humid.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products