August 20, 2014 | 2147 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by pgloe16

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried taking coconut oil as both a supplement and topically and I wish I could love this as much as everyone else. Actually, I think it actually caused me to break out.

TOPICALLY
I tried it as a hair mask and wasn't super impressed. I just don't have the time or patience to use it as a mask on a regular basis. When I tried using it as a leave-in treatment on damp hair, it left my hair too greasy (I have wavy, dry hair, but it's also very thin).

I used it to take off waterproof eye makeup, but saw no improvement compared to vaseline/albolene/baby oil.

I tried using it as an extra moisturizing step for my face at night. The oil did not absorb at all during the night and I woke up feeling like my skin was tighter and drier.

It also didn't really help with any eczema patches or dry elbows.

AS A SUPPLEMENT
I LOVED eating it by the spoonful so I had no problem with the taste or the texture. I would have about a tsp a day.

However, after a couple of weeks, I broke out pretty badly in cystic acne around my eyebrows. For the past few years, I rarely break out and when I do, it's because I've eaten too much dairy. So it was strange that I was breaking out around my eyebrows. Also, topical products rarely cause breakouts for me, though I might get hives or rashes, so I was pretty sure that the acne was caused by something new in my diet. It could be the coconut oil or the Puffins cereal I had also started eating around the same time. All I know is that once I stopped eating both of those things, the acne healed and months later, I haven't broken out like that again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2013 11:41:00 AM More reviews by heyitschloe98

I am completely obsessed with coconut oil!!! Its cheap, effective, and easy to use, no matter what brand. Coconut oil has natural antibacterial properties too, so its great for any type of blemish or infection. A little goes a long way! I first borrowed some from my mom for my hair, but later I found out about its endless uses and bought a jar for myself. Here are some of those uses:

-Hair conditioner (leave in for 30 minutes for deeper effect)
-Lotion
-Hand/ foot cream
-cuticle treatment
-acne treatment
-facial moisturizer
-burn treatment
-eczema treatment
-shaving cream (my favorite use, makes your legs incredibly silky smooth)
-body scrub (2.5 parts sugar, 1 part coconut oil)
-body wash
-treatment for minor cuts
-massage oil
-evens facial skin tone (sleep with it on your entire face to reduce redness and moisturize)
-toothpaste (with baking soda)
-makeup remover
-lip balm
-frizzy hair treatment (use a TINY bit on your hands and run them through hair)
-sunscreen SPF4 (its not much, but still helps)
-speeds healing of sunburn
-helps heal mosquito bites, poison oak, and poison ivy
-tanning oil
-homemade vapor rub (add other natural oils such as rosemary or peppermint)
-body balm (whipped up with Shea butter)
-cold sore treatment
-antibacterial/anti-aging skin cream
-on eyelids near the lash line for healthier eyelashes overnight (great for avid mascara wearers)
-intensive elbow moisturizer
-split ends treatment
-face wash

Coconut oil also has tons of not-beauty-related uses:
-blended into smoothies
-taken as a supplement for increased energy, allergy tolerance, mental alertness, and better digestion
-vegetable oil alternative
-blended with hot tea to sooth a sore throat, speed cold recovery, and reduce nausea
-to season cast-iron skillets

Hope this helps!!

20 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2013 8:24:00 PM More reviews by Ohviolet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am nuts about coconut oil. Heh. Coconuts.

ANYWAY. You can get jar of coconut oil at Trader Joes for 6 bucks. I love to whip it using a hand mixer with shea butter and use it as body cream and eye cream. This makes it much easier to spread. At first, it seemed to take a long time to sink in but now I use it after my nightly shower and I wake up to crazy soft skin. I don't really like using it in my hair because its too heavy, but I feel that way about all oils.

The smell is sort of strong at first (though I love it) but it fades quite a bit unless you keep it refrigerated. Its also awesome for cooking. Gotta love a beauty product that if you don't like to put on your body, you can just eat!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2013 5:46:00 PM More reviews by dtormon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

While I had a reaction after using this on my face (even when I used on my eyelashes to condition them), I love using this on my hair as a mask! It also feels great on my legs after shaving. However, it never really did anything for my keratosis pilaris.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2013 1:20:00 AM More reviews by mrsfw

My grandma has used coconut oil on her skin and hair since she was young and it works wonders =). I use it as a hair mask type and as lotion for my body. I also put it in my hair after a shower. I love the smell and it melts on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2013 12:48:00 AM More reviews by Summer8167

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love using coconut oil on my hair and skin! I use it on my scalp as a carrier for other hair growth products I use and I use it on my skin and hair to moisturize. I often mix it with other essential oils like tea tree oil or peppermint oil or rosemary. It has antimicrobial properties and is great for preventing or getting rid of dandruff or dry flaky skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2013 12:33:00 AM More reviews by JaneWhit99

Coconut Oil is so so so good for your hair! I cannot stress it enough and tell all my friends who are looking for a beauty secret to create strong, silky, sexy hair.

it is also super cheap, around 5 dollars will get you a month!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by melodyng

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is my HG product, not for my face but for my hair. Before that, I only used coconut oil for cooking. Some may disagree, but I personally like to cook with coconut oil for its health benefits, and although it may be high in saturated fats, they are in the form of medium chain fatty acids rather than long chain. Studies say that It is not stored as fat by the body, in fact I cooked with it for the past 6 months and lost weight.

But I didn't realize how amazing of an product it is for the hair until one day I was tired of my dry, lifeless and frizzy hair, and was in need of a hair mask (I used up my old one). I decided to try coconut oil but I really wasn't expecting any results. I've tried all sorts of products and natural remedies including yogurt, olive oil, bananas, honey, and even an egg yolk and mayonnaise. None of them made a difference to my damaged hair so I didn't have high expectations for coconut oil either, even though I thought I'd try it out.

I put it all over my hair and left it on for 3-4 hours, then rinsed it off with shampoo. I did shampoo the top of my head twice though, because my hair gets greasy VERY easily and I did not want greasy hair for the next day. After my hair was dry, I was amazed to find that my hair had become very soft and smooth, and had some shine back to it! Even my mum commented on how great my hair looked the next day and she actually thought I styled it. Plus, the results last! Unlike some hair masks which I find will make my hair soft until the next time i washed my hair. I don't plan to use it on my face though, just because I have very sensitive and acne prone skin. i LOVE coconut oil!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2013 6:01:00 PM More reviews by teatimeknird

I'm on my second jar of this stuff. I got the virgin coconut oil from whole foods. Basically I use it as:
1) a conditioner before I shower by just putting it into my hair the night before. it hydrates my scalp, actually reduced my dandruff, and moisturizes my ends.
2) a facial moisturizer. I use it every night before I go to bed, because Yes, it makes you shiny. I haven't noticed any oil stains in my pillow case either but maybe I haven't been looking long enough. It Definitely saved my dry skin. I haven't had a problem with that ever since starting.
3) a moisturizer for my legs, although I don't like feeling oily after a shower so I use regular moisturizer now.
4) for cooking purposes. If I need oil for anything, I Only use coconut because of it's high cooking temp. I love this stuff, I wish more people used it in their daily lives.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2013 3:57:00 PM More reviews by snowwgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

HG now for me, now after 6 months of highlights. I have tried all the HE and DS deep treatments but.nothing beats this oil for performance.The change in shine and feel was startling.
I use as a prewash ( a few hours before) or overnight soak and it really works to soften hair and bring back bounce and shine.I got hooked when I read coconut oil molecules are smalll and go INTO the hair instead of coating it. Also saw Organix does a line with coconut oil in it, so figured , just go straight to the real source. I put a small tub of it on counter and also use it as a face prewash.It wipes out all makeup, including waterproof mascara.