July 28, 2014 | 1628 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2013 12:48:00 AM More reviews by Summer8167

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love using coconut oil on my hair and skin! I use it on my scalp as a carrier for other hair growth products I use and I use it on my skin and hair to moisturize. I often mix it with other essential oils like tea tree oil or peppermint oil or rosemary. It has antimicrobial properties and is great for preventing or getting rid of dandruff or dry flaky skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2013 12:33:00 AM More reviews by JaneWhit99

Coconut Oil is so so so good for your hair! I cannot stress it enough and tell all my friends who are looking for a beauty secret to create strong, silky, sexy hair.

it is also super cheap, around 5 dollars will get you a month!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by melodyng

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is my HG product, not for my face but for my hair. Before that, I only used coconut oil for cooking. Some may disagree, but I personally like to cook with coconut oil for its health benefits, and although it may be high in saturated fats, they are in the form of medium chain fatty acids rather than long chain. Studies say that It is not stored as fat by the body, in fact I cooked with it for the past 6 months and lost weight.

But I didn't realize how amazing of an product it is for the hair until one day I was tired of my dry, lifeless and frizzy hair, and was in need of a hair mask (I used up my old one). I decided to try coconut oil but I really wasn't expecting any results. I've tried all sorts of products and natural remedies including yogurt, olive oil, bananas, honey, and even an egg yolk and mayonnaise. None of them made a difference to my damaged hair so I didn't have high expectations for coconut oil either, even though I thought I'd try it out.

I put it all over my hair and left it on for 3-4 hours, then rinsed it off with shampoo. I did shampoo the top of my head twice though, because my hair gets greasy VERY easily and I did not want greasy hair for the next day. After my hair was dry, I was amazed to find that my hair had become very soft and smooth, and had some shine back to it! Even my mum commented on how great my hair looked the next day and she actually thought I styled it. Plus, the results last! Unlike some hair masks which I find will make my hair soft until the next time i washed my hair. I don't plan to use it on my face though, just because I have very sensitive and acne prone skin. i LOVE coconut oil!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2013 6:01:00 PM More reviews by teatimeknird

I'm on my second jar of this stuff. I got the virgin coconut oil from whole foods. Basically I use it as:
1) a conditioner before I shower by just putting it into my hair the night before. it hydrates my scalp, actually reduced my dandruff, and moisturizes my ends.
2) a facial moisturizer. I use it every night before I go to bed, because Yes, it makes you shiny. I haven't noticed any oil stains in my pillow case either but maybe I haven't been looking long enough. It Definitely saved my dry skin. I haven't had a problem with that ever since starting.
3) a moisturizer for my legs, although I don't like feeling oily after a shower so I use regular moisturizer now.
4) for cooking purposes. If I need oil for anything, I Only use coconut because of it's high cooking temp. I love this stuff, I wish more people used it in their daily lives.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2013 3:57:00 PM More reviews by snowwgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

HG now for me, now after 6 months of highlights. I have tried all the HE and DS deep treatments but.nothing beats this oil for performance.The change in shine and feel was startling.
I use as a prewash ( a few hours before) or overnight soak and it really works to soften hair and bring back bounce and shine.I got hooked when I read coconut oil molecules are smalll and go INTO the hair instead of coating it. Also saw Organix does a line with coconut oil in it, so figured , just go straight to the real source. I put a small tub of it on counter and also use it as a face prewash.It wipes out all makeup, including waterproof mascara.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2013 6:28:00 AM More reviews by BestCoconutHairOil

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Coconut oil which is enriched with Vitamin E provides complete nourishment for your hair, resulting in healthy, strong and long beautiful hair. I tis abundant in vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants which is why it is called the 'mother of all oils'.
Coconut oil has the following benefits

1.This oil contains more vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants than any other oil
2. Rich in Lauric Acid, it provides immunity against bacterial, fungal and viral infections
3. The presence of Vitamin E keeps the skin smooth and beautiful
4. It helps clean the pores and clear your face due to its antimicrobial and antiviral properties, hence reducing acne
5. Massaging your body with virgin coconut oil helps lower body temperature

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 3:54:00 PM More reviews by Kamee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love multi purpose items and this is a great one. On top of it being muli purpose, it's gives off amazing benefits to the body when taken orally too. It moisturizes everything for me from head to toe. Even using this on my face doesn't break me out however I have a different cream for my face so I only use this when there's nothing else. What's even better is that you can eat this too which gives off amazing benefits. I take this by the spoonful and have noticed my skin and energy improving. It's great on toast instead of butter and with stir fried veggies. Only downside to this is that it changes its consistency depending on the temperature. It's sold under 70 degrees so it gets a bit tough to use when it becomes a solid.

Here's what one article said about coconut oil "Studies have shown that intake of coconut oil can help our bodies mount resistance to both viruses and bacteria that can cause illness. Even more, it also can help to fight off yeast, fungus, and candida.

Coconut oil can also positively affect our hormones for thyroid and blood sugar control. People who take coconut oil also tend to have improvements in how they handle blood sugar, for coconut can help improve insulin use within the body. Coconut oil can boost thyroid function helping to increase metabolism, energy and endurance. It increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins." Meaning it's an antibiotic and antiviral and since it balances blood sugar control, it may help you to lose weight. Miranda Kerr is also known to take this as one of her daily supplements. Google for more info if you're not convinced.

You can get a large tub of this at Costco or smaller versions at Walmart or Target or any health section or health food store.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2013 3:04:00 PM More reviews by ava902

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is one of the best oils to use for your hair and skin. It is super affordable (check your local farmer's market) and it makes my hair soft and my skin glow. It absorbs well and is light enough to use daily. I am currently transitioning to natural hair and I use it as a pre-shampoo treatment and I use it to seal my hair moisturizer. It keeps my new growth and hair super soft and manageable. For my skin, I use it as a night-time treatment after I wash my face with my Clarosonic. This is hands down THE best oil I have in my haircare and skincare regimen. The ONLY pain is that you have to melt it down in the colder months because it hardens at a certain temperature. I just put the jar in a bowl of hot water and after it is melted, I pour it into a squeezeable bottle to make it easier to use.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2013 11:20:00 AM More reviews by joana7

I love love love coconut oil! It's a great:

- Make-up remover (scoop it out, place it on a cotton pab, warm it up with hands so it melts and then apply to face)
- Pre-shampooing treatment (you can even leave it in during the night and shampoo in the morning)
- Scrub (together with sugar)
- Shaving "cream"

Mine is in a glass jar, which is not the most convenient packaging ever, so unfortunately I can't take it to me on my travels, but other than that it's a perfect product. Cheap, natural and effective... can't be beaten!

OBS: A little goes a looong way! Use a clean spoon to scoop it out of the jar to avoid getting bacteria in there.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2013 3:13:00 PM More reviews by Di57

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can't believe the money I've wasted over the years on make-up removers and moisturisers. From this point forward, all I need is my jar of Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Unrefined Coconut Oil.

Makeup remover: massage over face and eyes, wipe off with a cotton makeup pad. I then run a washcloth under warm water and wipe the excess off my face. No moisturiser required.

Scrub: Add a little caster sugar to a tablespoon of coconut oil and massage in, rinse off. This leaves a divine soft, clear, finish. I often do this at night and find I don't need to apply any night moisturiser - my skin still looks fresh and healthy the following morning. I've also sat on the edge of the bathtub and scrubbed feet with the mixture - unbelievable results!

Anti-inflammatory: I tend to break out in a rash when I wear certain jewellery - red/dry patches on neck. I tried everything to get rid of it and almost resorted to a steroid cream. Then dabbed some coconut oil on it for a few nights - rash totally gone by Day 4.

Body moisturiser: I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised to find how quickly coconut oil absorbs into my skin. I have previously tried olive and jojoba oils, but found they left an oily, greasy layer for a long time after applying. Not so with the CO . . . it just seems to feel like a 'natural fit' with my skin.

Hair: I massage a little through my hair about half an hour before shampooing. Again, great results, with my hair being a lot softer.

Nails: No longer have to spend money on cuticle oils for fingers and toes - the CO does the job far better, and at a fraction of the price.

Oil-pulling: I've only recently read about this, and have just started trying it (swishing a tablespoon around in your mouth for 15-20 minutes). It supposed to alleviate gum problems, whiten teeth and, apparently, act as a body de-tox. I'm not sure about all the claims for oil-pulling, but will reserve judgement until I've tried it for a couple of weeks.

Cooking: Use coconut oil for stir-fry's (especially with peanut butter for a great satay!). I've also started adding a teaspoon to my morning protein shake. There's a lot of opinion out there that eating the oil has many health benefits - treat the body from the inside as well as from without.

The only downside is that it can be a little messy. I've got a large pot of the stuff, and since it is mid-summer and very humid, the usually semi-solid mass remains liquid unless I put it in the fridge. I use a spoon to scoop out the required amount, and anything left on the spoon or my fingers gets rubbed in skin or hair.

Some products break me out, even at my age, but the CO, if anything, calms irritations down. And for about $18 for a large pot, which goes a very long way, its the most economical and useful product I think I've ever stumbled across.

Spread the word, girls! Some skin-care companies out there might very quickly find out their expensive chemical-filled products are now redundant!

19 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No