Thierry Mugler Alien

3.7

on 1/18/2009 8:03:00 PM

I always though I would hate Alien because I absolutely despise Angel. I was wrong! A friend started wearing this and I just fell in love and was surprised it was Alien. Luckily, she bought the refillable for my birthday!
This does not smell powdery on me at all thankfully. Its dewy, definitely grapey and so unique, totally gorgeous!

on 12/28/2008 1:00:00 PM

This is one of the most awful scents I have ever smelled. If you like very strong, powdery, musky smells, then this is for you. If you like clean, light, scents, then stay far away from this one. As soon as I put it on it was extremely strong and I hoped it dried down to something lighter - it didn't. It is such a pungent mix of sweet, cheap powder and musk, that it gave me a huge headache. I gave this one away. For those of you who actually like this and wear it - please - have pity on those around you and put it on lightly. It is horrific!! Retails for $72 for a 1 oz. spray.

on 12/26/2008 12:09:00 PM

this smell is amazingggg! i got this as a giftset with the lotion and it also came in a nice gold vanity box. I just cant get enough of the smell, i am usually in to fruity and floral fragrances but this one is so unique and it lasts for ages! this has got to be one of my best fragrances.

on 12/25/2008 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! My boyfriend bought this for me as a little gift. I dont think in a million years I would have bought this for myself, purely because I hated Angel and I have hated Theirry Mugler's male fragrances as well.
This is lovely though. Its the first fragrance I have used that people actually ask what I am wearing. Its quite a strong smell so I spritz in the air and walk through once. The smell lingers all day and I find it gets better the longer I have worn it.
At first it starts off as a really sharp scent but after a few minutes it settles to a really musky, powdery scent. Its very similar to Paul Smith London I think...but better...way better! Its very unique. Sometimes I feel perfumes all smell the same or very similar but Alien totally suits its name!

on 12/18/2008 2:56:00 PM

Where to begin? I received this fragrance as a gift from my SO, who no doubt had a chance encounter with the strange and mysterious bottle while headed to Thierry Mugler's section of the perfume counter to refill my depleted stock of Angel for Christmas. This is not something I would ever have chosen for myself. That being said, I am so happy that my guy gave me the chance to experience it on anything other than a test strip because it is absolutely beautiful. It is indescribable. It does smell of grapes and either nail polish or hairspray but you will not smell those notes for what they are, unless you seek them out; it also smells of a jasmine (the sambac) which is not floral but seems to be a lighter, liquid, powdery version of itself. The solar notes DO smell solar; I don't know what they are, only that they are so different and smell of the wet asphalt after a rain, perhaps? Dusty and new? How else can one describe them? And the amber is just enough to warm everything up and make it the perfect winter scent. I am an oriental, gourmand girl but this is a "floral" that I can actually wear and in fact, usually choose over my vast collection of (mostly winter) fragrances. It is soooo different from anything out there that I just fell in love with it after an hour of wearing it on my skin. The bottle is at times, the best perfume bottle I've ever seen. At other times, it annoys me by being the weirdest perfume bottle I've ever seen. Whatever it is, it's unique. I've received nonstop compliments on this scent while wearing it, mostly from women in their twenties and thirties, and a few men as well. My mother hates it; she says it left the smell of cigars in her car and house after my visit; all the more reason to love it! Ha ha! It's a keeper. You will probably smell a bunch of familiar notes but most likely, you will be at a loss for a description of the perfume as a whole. Though the fragrance is classified as a soft floral, and while I would agree with the softness, there is nothing, to my nose, floral about it. Give it a try. It needs skin, not a paper test strip, on which to develop its other-worldly awesomeness.

on 11/15/2008 4:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Sambac (Asian) jasmine has a completely different fragrance from the more common French/Arabian jasmine: richer, more seductive, and without the animalic undercurrent in French Jasmine that always smelled like manure to me. It's commonly used in Chinese tea, something I have trouble imagining doing with French jasmine.
Alien has a huge Sambac note, which smells quite similar to a sample of natural Sambac absolute I have--this is either a natural extract, or an incredibly well-done artificial jasmine. In any case, it is lovely.
The jasmine is backed by warm, white musk and a lovely oriental amber-and-woods accord. Overall, I think I'd call it a politely sexy floral oriental.
Lovely bottle, as well.

I AM ADDICTED!!

Everywhere I go, people ask me what I'm wearing....I always laugh and smile when replying, "Alien". They think I'm joking...then I have to explain that, "No, it really is a perfume!"

Since I have found Alien, I cannot imagine wearing another scent.

It works with my body chemistry and seriously, the name sort of suits my personality!

on 10/28/2008 4:27:00 PM

I tried a sample of this, and honestly, it's just ok. Alien is a very sweet floral on me. I do smell the jasmine. A lot. It's extremely sweet, and mind you, I normally like sweet perfumes (Fracas, Juicy, Michael Kors, Nina, Coco Chanel), but on me, this one is sweet and sharp at the same time, almost hurts your throat, sharp. It does not soften or change into a creamy, rounded scent on me. It just stays sharp and sweet. I sprayed one good spritz on my wrist, smelled it, and when I sniffed it again later, it smelled the same. Alien does seem to have good sillage, though and lasting power is good. Every once in a while I'll notice the scent wafting up towards me and I'll remember what it is.
In my opinion, it's a little "loud" for me but that may be due to the sharpness. Though it's not as loud as some scents are. And it's softer than Angel, which I really don't like on me. I think me and Thierry Mugler just don't get along!
The bottle is interesting looking, I have to give them credit for the creative bottle design.

on 10/19/2008 12:23:00 AM

The vote was unanimous : boring, sweet, too strong, boring, sugary....you get the picture. I WISH i could smell this "unique", "not for everyone" "bold" scent but it is sooo mundane it hurts. I wanted to like this. The bottle is hideous but appeals to me anyway. I love the name. But it is so generic. Smells just like one of Anna suis frags. 2.5 lippies for not being awful.

on 10/11/2008 3:39:00 PM

I'm a one-fragrance kind of girl, and this has been it since it debuted; I was formerly an Angel wearer, but haven't turned back. For some reason, this just works with my chemistry. Most cheap (celebrity-inspired) fragrances give me a headache, but Mugler fragrances are well-made and just smell good. 99% of people who notice say "you smell really good." I've only had one guy run and hide stating he is allergic to fragrance (he's hypersensitive in many respects and not my favorite person in the world!) The only issue is that I've become habituated to it and therefore cannot smell it as much as I once could. I can't even describe how it smells...except that it smells like me.

Popular Fragrances