MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

on 5/31/2013 2:56:00 PM

MAC describes Ruby Woo as a "matte vivid blue red;" This description is perfectly accurate. The lipstick is bold, pigment rich, and flattering to every skin tone. It definitely has a matte texture that feels a little dry going on.

However, the product itself isn't drying-I noticed whether or not I would need balm after wearing depended on if my lips were already in good condition or if they were chapped beforehand. (If your lips aren't moisturized before wearing this, look out-it won't help the situation).

RW wears amazingly to. It survived 2 meals after 7 hours and still looked great. As it wears away, an unflattering ring of color will persist around the mouth, so try a lip liner underneath or keep an eye on when it' time to reapply.

(read the full review on peakvolume.blogspot.com)

on 5/31/2013 8:57:00 AM

When ever I wear this shade I always feel classy and so lady like..lol! It truly is a bright, vivid, and classic red. The matte finish stays on forever, even through eating and drinking. Lip prep through exfoliation and hydration is a must with this formula to ensure the shade applies evenly and wears well during the day without the dry patchy lip presentation.

To wear ruby woo I have to prep my lips beforehand, make sure I've exfoliated & moisturised well and then I line and fill my lips with mac redd pencil and use a lip brush to work ruby woo into my lips. Due to the very matte texture this lipstick will stay put till the bitter end! Although the very dry feeling takes a bit of getting used to the colour is so nice I don't mind.

on 5/28/2013 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I have very weird skin, like a mix between olive and fairness. This is the only red lipstick I will use or come too. I suggest putting on concealer before applying or use white liner to go around your lips to help it not smudge or look blotchy. I really think this is a universal lipstick that looks great on any skin tone. it last long and I love the matte feel. it stands out.

The lipstick is definitely matte, It does stay on the lips but I would recommend matching lip liner and possibly a tiny amount of clear lip gloss underneath sort of as a base because it is drying though.. But over all I think it's the best red Mac has.

on 5/20/2013 1:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Overall, this is a really good red lipstick. This is one of MAC's only Retro Matte formulas, which is similar to their regular Matte formula, just slightly more dry. This is both good and bad. It's good because the dryness is really what helps the lipstick stick to your lips. I rarely have to reapply this, even after light eating and drinking. It's bad because without the proper priming/moisturizing, this can go on very patchy, and it kind of pulls across the lips. What I do is put on Maybelline Baby Lips (or your favorite lip conditioner/primer), and then line and fill in my lips completely with MAC's Cherry lipliner. This helps to prep my leps, and it brings down the brightness of this ever so slightly. If you want a brighter red liner, opt for Redd. If you want a slighter darker red liner, opt for Brick. The blue undertone in this lipstick helps to make your teeth appear whiter. If this red is too bright for you, maybe try MAC's Russian Red or even Viva Glam I for something slightly deeper.

on 5/20/2013 1:23:00 AM

This is a nice shade of lipstick but you can buy one of the wet n wild lipsticks in the colour red velvet for a fraction of the price. Same colour, same consistency.

on 5/15/2013 6:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

My 2013 New Year's resolution was to try something different every month. I am very, very boring in terms of style. So I purchased Ruby-Woo... hoping to add some pop to my style.
And it worked. The color alone is too bright for my olive-yellow (part hispanic, part asian) skin tone. So I top it with Mac Lip MIx in Crimson. Not only does it make it the perfect red for me, but it makes it stay on NO MATTER WHAT. Perfect combination for me. I also use the Mac Lip Liner in Cherry. The only downside is that it can be a little drying, but I just slap my chapstick (cherry Carmex) on top once the Lip Mix is dry and it is good to go.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've been searching for the perfect red lipstick and this may be as close as it gets! What I love about this lipstick is that it is thick and you don't need to apply a lot for it to show. It stays on all day and there's no need to keep reapplying (unless you ate sloppily or had a make out session) I think this red compliments ALL skin tones. It does leave a stain on your lips after you remove it which I don't mind though. Best if you apply it after using lip primer

on 5/5/2013 6:08:00 AM