September 30, 2014 | 1343 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - # 239 Eye Shader Brush

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2010 10:42:00 AM More reviews by goldengirl77

I'd been using my 217 or some Loew Cornell brush I bought to apply my shadows to my lid for about a year or so, and on a whim last month while buying stuff from the Spring Color Forecast collection, I decided to pick up a 239. WOW! I've been missing OUT! This bad boy is fantastic for packing color onto the lid. I couldn't figure out why my shadows looked so pigmented in the pan, but kinda washed out and bland on my lid. It was because I didn't have THIS brush. Seriously, a good primer and the 239 is all you need to get a great color payoff from your shadows (provided you have good pigmented shadows to begin with...). I also use it to apply shadow to the lower lash line when I don't feel like pulling out my smaller brush. It's soft, lush, a bit on the expensive side, but worth it IMO.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2010 5:08:00 PM More reviews by jrl521

Even though I do think this brush is expensive I would definitely buy again. It is a great brush for depositing color and it is also soft. I will say that I do have a favorite next to this one and that is my Loew-Cornell 1/4" mini mop which serves the exact purpose of this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2010 7:36:00 PM More reviews by bumblebees24

This is a must have in the makeup brush kit. It packs on the colors real well and does not have a lot of fall out even for pigments. The only drawback are the white bristles which takes deep cleaning to get rid of the color stain.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2010 4:57:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

years and years of using this goat hair brush for ES applications validate it .

don't think I have not strayed -- oh yes, I have ES brushes from every major cosmetics manufacturer in the US and abroad. But I always come back to this one. It packs on most ES with the aplomb and dexterity of a good singer belting out a song. I love that it is white -- I keep my brushes (I have 8 of these now) by colors and since the white hair takes on the color of the ES I can easily see what shades I can use this with.

This is not cheap but it will provide years of use. Just keep it clean (baby shampoo is fine to wash them with) and let them air dry on the side of any piece of furniture...do not stand them up as the base/ferrule will hold water and damage the hairs. Do not let them dry in a closed space as the same damage can occur.

One caveat: DO NOT BUY the SE editions of MAC... the quality of the brush is sometimes very different and inferior to the regular length of brush. For my personal use, I have my husband cut and sand the ends of my brushes so they fit into a smaller travelling bag. For work, I much prefer the longer length of brushes.

these are must have brushes for a good ES application.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2010 4:03:00 PM More reviews by brandi14307

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have had the 239 for many years now. I have just recently tried the bobbi brown and some other brushes and the 239 is still my favorite. it is dense so it goes on amazing and gives good color... the best in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2010 3:10:00 PM More reviews by mimie

I must confess that i never believed that mac brushes were the top brushes even though the reviews here were so good and i thought they were too expencive to bother with them.So i cept buying simple brushes small, pretty cheap and stuff like that. Finally, i came up owning at about 15 little pethetic brushes for the eyes wich slowly the one after the other were either into 2 pieces ( because the metalic thing that has the hairs from the brush got seperated from the plastic stick) or the hairs were dropping and falling....That means that every month i had to buy new...Well that fact costed me money and got me very upset...
Therefore, i decided to go for it and buy one mac brush, just to try it.When i touched the brush on my eyelid i was amazed.The application of the eyeshadow was truly good, but what really maked the difference was the softness of the brush. Whenever i use it, it's like i'm having a high treatment and i'm sutisfied.

I got one lip out, not because i don't like the product but because this works for me but it might not for others.Every mac brush (even though it is categorized based on use purpose) has a different use like blending, apllication, contouring etc and gives a different result.So if you are going to spend your money on mac brushes you must certainly be sure of what you need! And no salesgirl really knows what you want, so be aware of your needs and take your time to think what you 're asking for.
(wow i posted a really long review :$)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2010 2:39:00 PM More reviews by kam6761

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product is AWESOME at packing color onto the lid. This is a definite staple and I reach for it every day. That said, I would definitely repurchase. However, if you're under financial constraints, there are definitely good dupes (Coastal Scents and Sonia Kashuk have almost exact dupes that work great). So, if you have the money, I definitely recommend this, but if it's a stretch then don't feel bad about going for a lower priced price-- it'll work really similarly.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2010 11:33:00 AM More reviews by AngelOnFire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I got suckered into buying the #239 reading the reviews here. I for one have to go against the flow of things and say that this is a brush that simply doesn't work for me. I am REALLY scratching my head about this brush, thinking how it got a rating this high and how hyped it is. It is probably one of the biggest disappointments so far for me.

It is alright for packing on colour... and that's it. The brush itself is also on the large side, which means there's little precision when it comes to applying eye shadow on the inner and outer corner of the eyelid. You can't run it over the crease or lower eyelid. The bristles are simply to harsh for this and it ends up feeling uncomfortable. The only way I am able to apply this brush to my eyelid is at a flat angle. The rounded ends are simply unusable for me.

There is one thing though that I absolutely hate about this brush, the same thing that I can't stand about my #217. It splays. Like crazy. As though it is going through a Punk Rock phase. There are so many stray hairs I had to buy Brush Guards to solve this problem. I bought both at the official MAC store, so these aren't fakes, but this sure doesn't make a good impression quality-wise.

Needless to say, I wouldn't buy again. I have cheap-as-chips no-name brushes that are working better than this one. For 17.50, it's simply a waste of money for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2010 8:35:00 PM More reviews by lalaland

I give it a 4.25. It is just not all that I expected it to be. I have a lot of MAC eye brushes, almost all, and this was one of the newest additions to my collection because I never wanted before. I have difficult lids to work with, so this brush may work better for others. For me, it is a tad to soft, perhaps not dense enough to pack the color how I need it. When I use this wet, it gets too wet, probably because it is not very dense and the goat hair is thin. I prefer the Sigma SS 239 to this, even though I am not a huge fan of that either. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a necessary brush to have, flat shader brush for applying and packing on color, but its not the one for me. Great brush for most people, but I'm just not feeling it like I should.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2010 3:15:00 AM More reviews by kimmay99

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have just about every brush imaginable. But then I was thinking...If I'm going to need to pack, NOT sweep a pigment or paint on the lid and keep it in place...what the heck am I going to use? The 239 is PERFECTO for that. Perfectly shaped, perfect size (very important) not too soft, not too hard. Great brush.