March 2, 2015 | 1932 users online

Blush - NARS - Exhibit A

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2008 2:51:00 PM More reviews by hapapower

Oh, how I had dreamt of this blush working on me (NC30, strong golden undertones)...I read the reviews, and would linger at the Nars section in Sephora debating whether to try it or not. Recently, I had a chance to go to Sephora again, so I armed myself with the proper brushes so that I could sample this blush. I was determined to master this shade...

While in Sephora, I saw many items which beckoned me, but Exhibit A screamed at me. And not in a pleasant way either. It was just obnoxious and cantankerous and I almost fled the store. But stupid me, I was on a mission to conquer the damned thing.

I approached the loud red-orange pot tentatively, hoping not to agitate it. I treated it oh-so-gently. My caress was whisper light, picking up only a few grains of color...Then I set about applying this to my cheeks using my Smashbox fan brush on one cheek and my MAC 187 dupe (from Ulta) on the other...

OMG, I looked like I had been bitch-slapped repeatedly! The color was such an ugly, unflattering orange nightmare...I guess I pissed it off! Dejected, I determined that there was no easy way to approach this evil, angry beast. Alas, it cannot be tamed. And I do not have the love or patience to work with it.

The whole application process was only part of it. This color is atrocious! I could MAYBE see going through all the trouble to apply this correctly if this was a pretty color, but it just reminds me of the vests that the freeway cleanup team wears, or of orange safety cones. If you put more on, it starts to take on this hideous red...not attractive! Yikes...And it just does nothing good for my skintone. Nothing at all. Pulls all the yellow out and makes me look like I've been severely beaten...or like a clown with jaundice...

I think it's kind of amusing that several MUA'ers mentioned that you have to use a very light hand but that you'll get lovely results if you do so. Yeah right. Give me a damned break. It's not like I am very fair-skinned. Yet I used a very light hand and can honestly say that it is not worth it for such an awful, garish color. For those of you who are low maintenance and don't want to finesse a blush every time you use it, STAY AWAY FROM THIS BLUSH!

7 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2008 7:04:00 PM More reviews by Khenninger

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

By far my FAVORITE blush.....like others have said do NOT use a heavy hand the pigment is very strong. Just a dab will do ya!!! I have found that this color looks awesome on everyone. Even when I am tan or a little lighter in the winter it always looks perfect!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2008 8:12:00 PM More reviews by LetsSwap

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I so love this product!! I'd been lemming it for quite some time & finally gave in the other day. Good thing because it's quite a nice change from pink/rose blushes. This really does give you a "been outside in the cold" cheeky look, as others have mentioned, just make sure you use the lightest hand or you'll look windburned (or worse, b-slapped!).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2008 5:11:00 AM More reviews by beauticonnexion

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

What a to-do when i saw the color in the pan... It was super mandarin orange red and the first time (even with a lighter hand than i normally do) i ended up with very pigmented orange red chheks that was impossible to blend. The second time i used it i lightly tapped the surface with the blusher brush and excess it on a tissue before applying to the cheeks. It gives a warm, flushy look... very hearty and healthy IMHO but i can achieve a better and easily blush with Amour. This is time consuming to use but with fab results that lasts.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2008 11:43:00 AM More reviews by barbie1700

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Listen up fair skinned maidens...This blush will give you that "Snow White" look. On my fair skin I apply this with a fan brush to just the apple of my cheeks and it instantly gives that healthy just flushed look. It is critical that you apply this with a light hand since this is extremely pigmented!!! When I first saw the pan I was very scared to try this in fear of looking like a clown, but with all the great reviews I decided to try it and I am happy I did. This blush wakes my whole face up. If you are looking for a great "true red" mineral blush, you may want to try Aromaleigh's Gothic Lolita rouge in Corset. Not as intense as Nars but a nice wash of red color.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2007 4:24:00 AM More reviews by nikitabambina

really bright red! my fair skin can only take the lightest brushing of it but the color it fantastic. great for eye shadow 2 especially if you have green eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2007 8:32:00 AM More reviews by sillisarah

I was so sick of peach and pink blushes... this is a nice change. It is pricey, but it's so worth it since you only use the smallest amount at a time. Yes, it looks so bright (and scary) in the pan, but just put it on very lightly on the apples of your cheek. Less is more! It gives me a naturally flushed look... makes me glow from within. I have NC25 skin, dark brown hair and brown eyes and Exhibit A is perfect.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2007 8:36:00 AM More reviews by Divinorum

HA ha! yep, I would say "hell's kool-aid" is a fitting description. Yes this looks incredibly scary, but this is not one of those swipe and sweep on cheeks blushes like Sin. I definitely agree with the light hand technique, and it is the real orgasm. But its incredibly easy to go overboard. I have a love-hate relationship with this blush for that very same reason. I've swapped it away and re-bought it already. But I've decided that this blush takes practice and I'm going to learn to apply it correctly because when its done right, its looks fantastic. Its just so hard to get the same results every time with such an intensly pigmented blush, which is my only frustration with this.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2007 9:34:00 PM More reviews by CraxFactor

This stuff looks like Hell's Kool-Aid.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2007 12:31:00 AM More reviews by rachelp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I stayed away from powdered blushes as i have always disliked the overly powdered look. Boy, have i missed out!

NARS blushes are extremely pigmented and the quality is amazing. At first glance it looks frighteningly red with a hint of orange in the pan, but you have to try it to believe it. My first application could have won me a place in the circus - potential buyers, please read reviews carefully, paying extra attention to application methods.

My brush barely taps the surface of Exhibit A, i blot my brush once or twice on a clean sheet of tissue and only then will i allow myself to proceed. I brush the apple of my cheeks ever so lightly - it is better to have too alittle than too much. You may repeat the process if you desire alittle more - if i have overdone it, i reach for a clean fat brush to buff the colour down. Definitely a product that will last many lifetimes.

Exhibit A is beyond gorgeous on tanned skin and it works beautifully on fair maidens too.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No