Chanel Vitalumiere

3.9

water, ethylhexyl palmitate, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, cyclomethicone, talc, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, HDI/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, propylene glycol, PEG-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, glycerin, butylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, fragrance, methylparaben, disteardimmonium hectorite, disodium stearoyl glutamate, polyglyceryl-3 beeswax, propylparaben, tocopherol, lecithin, ascorbyl palmitate, glyceryl stearate, alcohol denat., walnut seed, silica, laminaria digitata extract, glyceryl oleate, sodium hyaluronate, aluminum hydroxide, citric acid, sodium metabisulfate, BHT, licorice extract, butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben.

on 6/25/2010 12:23:00 PM

Love this foundation, switched from Giorgio Armani LSF and won't be going back as this is superior. Very smooth coverage yet sheer and subtle. Lasts all day at work into evening and my skin looks lovely.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i absolutely LOVE this product! it doesn't accentuate my dry patches (on my tzone and all over my jawline), it gives great coverage (evens out my skin tone and covers most blemishes, all without making me look like i'm wearing makeup), makes my skin luminous without looking glittery (unlike revlon's photoready foundation), it smells wonderful and is the best colour match i've ever had with a liquid foundation. it's also quite long-lasting, a fact that surprised as i typically associate long-lasting foundations with matte finishes. but a few weeks ago i put my makeup on at around 9 am and by the time i got home (6 hours later), was surprised to find that i didn't even need to touch up. i rushed out of the house to make it to a show, had dinner with a friend afterwards, and by the time i got home, it was almost midnight. my foundation had survived a 15 hour day and i was thoroughly impressed. so for all those reasons, vitalumiere has become my current HG liquid foundation.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This was an impulse purchase, the packaging was absolutely luxe and the brand association screamed quality; but it was a purchase I definitely regret. I have dry skin that has a tendency to produce dry patches around my cheeks, which I fight with Chanel's Ultra Correction Lift and extra exfoliation. On to the product, I'm slightly miffed that I'd forgotten to apply the foundation over the said patches as well as my jaw when being color matched. This is why I feel this foundation is terrible: this is the only foundation who claimed to give high moisture that induced more dry patches as well as enhanced them! The texture was slightly greasy as well, and when worn for several hours it looked oily but dryness was still apparent. It looked absolutely odd, disco ball-y forehead and cheek bones but flaky dry on the cheeks. Awful. The price was more on the steep side, too bad the foundation couldn't be as exquisite as most of Chanel's caliber! I gave this to my mom, who loves everything Coco.

on 5/29/2010 1:32:00 AM

I was matched to Limpide (10) and im NC15-20 right between. Once it warmed up to my skin i think it oxidized a bit and turned a bit orange, not alot but just a little. I have redness so I like my foundations to have yellow to them. Also it looked kind of shiny on me.

BIG EDIT!!!-
6 months later now winter, my skin gets real dry with other foundation so I needed a foundation that was good for dry skin so I went to the counter and gave it a chance. I am actually 20 Clair which suits me way better. Its very hydrating and extremely dewy, even more then F&B I think so no wonder I hated it in the summer time. You must set this foundation tho because if not it will transfer very easily. Set it with a powder puff, not a brush because the brush will move the product around just pat it in. Im currently using MSFN and just bought Chanel Universelle Compacte which im trying out. Love this foundation is wonderful. if you have really dry skin and other foundations look dry and get cakey during the day on you deff try this!!

on 5/25/2010 6:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I love this foundation. I have very dry skin and most foundations that I use make my skin look worse because they cling to my dry patches.

This would be HG status for me if I could find a shade match! After wearing 30 cendre for the past few days it's too yellow? For my skin. I look ill! I'm a light skinned Latina with yellow undertones but this CEndre shade is too Biegy yellow for me. I am really sad that I will have to return vitalumiere because I adore the dewy finish and how amazing it is for dry skin.

Chanel you have customers that are also people of color! I guess we don't matter to them considering they don't have darker shades either. Oh well :(

on 5/25/2010 3:38:00 AM

After wearing a sample of this in Limpede and really liking it I went for the full $61.00 bottle. S'okay I didn't need to eat for a week anyway. Did it perform like the sample? No. For some mysterious reason it was so greasy I could have been the poster girl for BP! Back it goes and am now test driving Lift Lumiere. Geez foundation shopping is a full-time job.

on 5/20/2010 10:19:00 AM

I had this foundation in the palest shadow I can get - #10 Limpide, it gives more healthy and unify look for my skin, but it was too dark and brown for my fair tone. For more tanned skin it could be good. In addition it does not cover my blemishes and pores, so for my daily foundation/primer I prefer Korean BB creams to all costly or cheap primers or foundations that I ever tried. So I'll not recommend this fluid foundation for pale/fair skin with imperfections. And, yes, it's toooo costly for what it gives.

on 4/29/2010 3:12:00 PM

I used to wear this foundation a few years ago and I loved the way it looked when I first applied it, smooth and glowing, good coverage and the shade was perfect for me but here are the reasons why I stopped using it: 1. It felt very greasy, tacky on my skin, I felt like I was wearing oil on my face. 2. It didn't have very good staying power, by mid afternoon it had disappeared altogether, just leaving my face feeling greasy! 3. It broke me out in spots really bad. So I concluded that it wasn't for me, even though it looked so good at first, and in photographs, I want my make-up to last all day because I don't have time to re-apply. Shame really, its quite expensive and for a big name like Chanel I expected better. Sorry but I won't be going back to this any time soon!!

on 4/28/2010 8:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hello, HG foundation!

I fell in love with the old formulation of Vitalumiere last summer- the dewy finish was perfect for my very dry skin and the Cameo 1.0 color was not too pink nor yellow. Come winter once my skin had really lightened up, I could no longer find a shade light enough for me. Heartbreak ensued and I temporarily switched to another brand that just never achieved what Vitalumiere did for me. I just re-visited the Chanel counter to see the updated shades in the new formulation and Diaphane 0.2 is perfect for my very fair skin.

I agree with the other reviewer: this new formulation is a bit thinner, not quite as rich feeling and seems to give a bit less coverage, but still gives a similar dewy look. It melts beautifully into my skin. A note for those with facial hair: I have peach fuzz on my cheeks and my skin is too sensitive to remove it. Some foundations really cling to the hairs and to put it not-so-nicely, make me look like a stuffed animal (I call it teddy bear face!)- but the Vitalumiere doesn't do this at all.

For those with very dry skin looking for dewiness, this is absolutely worth a try. The glass bottle looks lovely on my vanity tray and the pump is great for sanitary reasons. For my specific skin needs (trying to achieve dewiness without looking like a disco ball while constantly battling dryness) the price becomes inconsequential after I tally up all the compliments I get on my glowing "no-makeup" skin. I love knowing when I get ready in the morning I have such an awesome ally in my makeup arsenal.

on 4/27/2010 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm a long time user of Vitalumiere and wanted to comment on the new formula as compared to the old formula. First, the colors have changed. I was a limpide in the old formula, their lightest shade at .5. Now I'm ivory, also a .5--but good news, they have added an even lighter shade at .2! I often add a tiny amount of a lighter foundation to my .5 to get the right tone, so for really pale gals, you now have a new choice.

The rosy scent is gone, which is good. The texture is a bit more liquid than the older one, which was the consistency of heavy cream. And it is a bit less sticky--the old formula would encourage stray hairs to stick to my face.

I think the finish is a little less dewy and a bit more neutral, and the finish is a bit sheerer than before. This is neither positive nor negative but a matter of personal taste. I prefer the dewier look with my very dry skin, but most people probably don't.

Still a fabulous foundation for mature dry skin, though.