July 29, 2014 | 1903 users online

Powder - Lancome - Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2008 4:26:00 PM More reviews by staci01

I've been on a hunt for almost two years now looking for a foundation that does not oxidize on my skin. Was a loyal MAC StudioFix user for 11 years till one day I noticed that my jawline did not match my neck which was then when I learned about oxidizing. (That and the fact that in the early 90's MAC's StudioFix did not break me out and the foundation in the past years gave me horrible acne that took weeks to clear up. I think that was due to the fact that EL got their paws on MAC.) After using different lines from both the dept, store and drug store I went back to Lancome since they had really pale shades. The Matte Voile 1 shade is PERFECT(!) for my skin! Pale enough to match my skin tone but not too pale that I look like I'm dead. If I need a color boost I add bronzer or a shade from the Matte Porcelaine line. AND even better the Matte Voile 1 does NOT oxidize/turn orange! Not too happy about the price of this compact but it could be worse. Yay for makeup that doesn't oxidize! Giving this a 4 since I've not tried everything out there yet. ; )

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2008 2:03:00 AM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I received this today in Matte Voile 1 which is the absolute palest shade that Lancome makes (even paler than the lightest shade from their fragrance free collection, which is why I chose this because I am extremely fair). I got a little nervous when I opened the package and detected an obnoxiously strong scent wafting up before I had even opened the compact! I pulled out the puff and couldn't believe that a company would be so foolish as to believe that anyone would want this obnoxious scent all over their face! This is not the 17th century where people didn't bathe and doused themselves with perfume because they stunk all over (the French were known for this during that time period so they perfumed everything and apparently still feel the need to do so). We do not need our faces heavily perfumed so why do they do it? Not only that, but it interferes with our own perfume because it barely makes it through the force field that is closest to our nose which would now be riddled with this nauseating smell. How incredibly unnecessary and utterly disappointing.

That said, the color match is perfect which is a rarity for someone as fair as me, however the coverage is nothing like I expected. I get the feeling that this might make a perfect setting powder for oilier skins when dusted over a nice matte foundation. This is not a full coverage powder. If you want a really nice full coverage powder foundation, look no further than Napoleon Perdis's Camera Finish which is what a lot of celebrities use for photo shoots. This reminds me a lot of Bobbi Brown's Sheer Pressed Powder because that's the coverage it offers. It evens out your skin tone like a nice tinted moisturizer, but you'll need to have pretty decent skin to get by with just this. I can't speak to it's oil controlling properties because I couldn't keep it on my skin longer than a half hour. I began to get a terrible headache and had to wash it off.

I spoke to a Lancome rep and she admitted that the lightest shade in their fragrance free version is darker than Matte Voile 1 and may seem a tad too dark for someone as light as me. I may try to get it on swap (Matte Porcelain Delicate-fragrance free), but this color would have been ideal (Matte Voile 1) had it not been for the intensely strong perfume. This is going back to Lancome (oddly enough I think good old Cover Girl Clean Pressed powder does a better job and actually offers more coverage and they offer all their shades in a fragrance free version).

Edit: Please see reviews on Dream Matte powder by Maybelline (yes Maybelline). One rave review after another (including mine). Once you have discovered that powder, you will never even bother with this or any other expensive stuff again. Dream Matte is silky, finely milled and covers a multitude of sins like a soft silk blanket (It's only a setting powder, yet it acts like a powder foundation and offers much more coverage at a fraction of the price). Controls oil so much better than this and goes on like silk (no caking and no fragrance whatsoever)! Hard to believe that this stuff is made by Maybelline, but check it out! This will seem like a joke by comparison. Dream Matte is my new HG powder and does everything I've ever wanted from a powder and so much more!

9 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2008 9:55:00 AM More reviews by igrancea

I used this product as my stand-alone foundation for an entire summer, and although I loved the convenience of a powder foundation, the staying power of it was not that good.
The colour selection for this foundation is great, so I found one that matched my skin perfectly. You can build up the coverage to hide just about any imperfections, especially if you dampen the sponge and apply it wet, and yet still look and feel natural. Problem is, all this coverage fades away in less than 3 hours and then you're back to square one.
And since the compact was designed to carry only the small powder puff (which was useless), and not the larger, thicker sponge, the compact kept popping open in my purse.
Now I just use what's left as a finishing powder or for quick touch-ups, but wouldn't repurchase for that purpose alone.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2008 12:27:00 AM More reviews by vixen711

I abolsutely love this product. Due to the price its not cheap and I've tried to use cheaper products to replace it but I just cant! The color perfectly matches my skin, doesnt give me break outs and its great it if I want to switch from light to heavy coverage without looking obvious. It is definitely worth every penny and I will never go back to buying cheaper foundations. This product and the powder foundation - photogenic is great as well!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2008 2:55:00 AM More reviews by weeks919

This is seriously the one makeup product I cannot live without if they ever discontinued it I would be very sad. I have used this since high school, and I go through one about every three months (I use a brush and that's why it goes so fast, but it last longer if you use the sponge) so it can get pretty pricey. I sponge on a thin layer of liquid foundation and then brush this on with a powder brush. I understand that this is also a foundation and that maybe for some people it feels ''heavy'' on their skin, but I sponge a small amount of liquid foundation on just to ensure that my skin tone is even and the end result is flawless. It goes on so evenly, and it never fails to work for me. Also, to anyone who has ivory skin that is hard to match, this is a product I would highly recommend. This has never ever made me look orange. I think everyone should try this but especially fair people who have a very hard time finding a product that doesn't make them look like an oopma loopa.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2008 6:08:00 PM More reviews by Jessydphs04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Iam so in love with this product. All you need is to wear moisturizer and either sponge on or brush on the powder for an all day flawless look.Price isnt that bad if you consider the size of the product at 19 grams versus 12 grams of my old clinique powder(perfectly real compact). This one also has last me eight months so far and I stil have enough product for another month or so. I will keep buying this product my coworkers are also inlove with it and stock up incase we run out....or leave one at home and carry one with us at all time. Dont know what i would do without this amazing product. btw I have combination skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2008 3:34:00 PM More reviews by duraira

This is the only makeup I use for coverage on my face. I don't wear foundation but this seems to do the job. First, i add moisturizer, followed by DHC velvet skin coat primer and then I use the dry sponge to powder my face. It gives a light to medium coverage. However, I am disappointed that it does not come with SPF.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/19/2008 1:33:00 AM More reviews by mustbeyv

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

when i went to macys to buy this, it seems pretty good when the lady put it on me. but when i went home and put it on with the sponge (2 included), it looked soooo powdery and so noticeable.also the omg old lady smell, it didnt smell when the lady put it on!!?? but i applied with a make up brush the next day,lightly,and patted my face because of the powdery look and it didnt last. i applied it around 1pm and probably 1 hour later it was oily and powdery in areas and you could see it was a little cakey. the lady at the counter said it would last all day, but NO not for me

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2008 6:14:00 PM More reviews by sally2002

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had to get this in the fragranced version because they didn't have my color in fragrance free, so the first thing is that I really don't like the old lady scent. And it lasts too, unfortunately. Also, this didn't stay on very well (I had to constantly reapply during the day) and I think it really made my break-outs worse. So, back to the store it goes, even though it is the perfect color match.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2008 8:48:00 AM More reviews by espressoqn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite! I've used this product off and on for years. I use it dry on bare skin, and it provides good coverage. I've tried to wet the sponge and apply it that way, but it seems "streaky" to me. I've read some of the other reviews that say it is too "heavy" when applied over foundation...that's because this IS foundation! It's not meant to be worn over anything else. There is a frangrance to it however, so it might not be best for sensitive skin.