Lancome Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

3.9

on 2/15/2009 5:45:00 PM

Working on my second compact of this. I get a very nice light coverage by using it wet over Neutragena sunblock/moisturizer. It just evens out my skin, covering all the little spots and freckles. Usually, that's enough coverage for me. If I want a little more, I wait for it to dry and then lightly dust on a bit more with a soft face powder/blush brush. I love that it's portable with a nice big mirror. Easy to take to the gym. It's a bit pricey but one compact lasts me a year.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

One of my favorite powder foundations! It goes very well with the Teint Idole Ultra liquid. I use this for touch ups or my mac blot powder. Definitely worth a look.

Offers good coverage without looking cakey and doesnt oxidize either. I would say the coverage is medium.

I'm NW20 in MAC so I have this in "Light Buff"

on 1/3/2009 12:40:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I purchased my second Dual Finish compact recently after finishing off my first one several years ago. I guess I didn't repurchase because I went through it relatively quickly (used up faster than liquid foundation, anyway) and because I had a slightly off color match that left me wanting to try something new. Anyway, fast forward to last week.. I went to the counter to return a different foundation (Photogenic Lumessance - not for me!) and I remembered how much I had liked Dual Finish.

Most powder foundations don't really work for me (recently I've tried MAC Studio Fix, Prescriptives AnyWear, and several mineral products). It's not that they're terrible, they just don't look right, they accentuate flakes, or the coverage seems weird to me. I generally prefer liquid foundation for these reasons. What separates Dual Finish from the other powder foundations I've tried is that there is no weird powdery finish, it feels pleasant rather than dry or tightening on my skin, it masks imperfections in my skin rather than accentuating them, and overall it just seems to enhance my skin rather than masking it under a layer of powder.

For light-medium coverage I use the sponge to pat and blend over my face and I find the result to be very natural-looking. It's still very much my skin, but polished, even-toned, and slightly velvety in appearance. This is a great everyday look for work because I don't look all made-up and artificial. For a more flawless look, say for photography or presentations, I would probably apply this lightly over Studio Fix Fluid or a similar foundation. When I have applied this wet in the past the color seems to darken - no idea why but I haven't tried again since.

I'm knocking off a lippie for this product for two reasons. First, the product does noticeably wear off during the day, and while it's easy enough to whip out my compact and touch up, I'd rather not have to. My face becomes a teensy bit shinier than I would like over the course of the day, and though I don't think it's going to make my skin oilier or break me out, I do wish that lovely velvety finish had more staying power. I will try a primer to keep the shine at bay but I'd rather not have to. Second - and this is a minor complaint - I'm not crazy about the smell. But apparently there is also a fragrance-free version of Dual Finish so that is easily enough taken care of.

In summary, this is the only powder foundation I've ever used that I could see repurchasing again and again. The shade selection is impressive so I think I'll always be able to find a good match whether I'm pale as a ghost or tan. Though I know I'll use this up more quickly than I would a liquid foundation -- that's just the way it goes with me and powder foundations -- the ease and speed of application is worth it. There is a reason why this product has remained in Lancome's line for many years. It doesn't get a lot of love here on MUA, but the next time you're at a Lancome counter, check it out.

UPDATE: Still loving this! I have been tempted to try some new foundations for the sake of novelty but I can't turn my back on Dual Finish. It really improves the overall look of my skin while appearing quite natural.

UPDATE 5/09: Still loving. The last SA matched me with a shade that was too dark, though the shade was surprisingly forgiving for such a mismatch (in hindsight). Now matched to Matte Linen I and very happy! My skin looks polished and velvety!

on 12/20/2008 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

i really like this powder...its not complete crap like the mac studio pressed powder...alone gives a natural finish, and used to set liquid or creme foundation it gives an elegant and sophisticated look...definitely worth the money....gorgeous...will always be in my makeup bag

on 12/2/2008 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am new to Lancome products and tried this w/the photogenic foundation. This is day 3 and I have huge cystic pimples on my chin. My skin is oily and greasy and this powder doesn't help. I think I am returning all the products I bought from Lancome. I normally use clinique.

on 11/30/2008 3:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It makes my skin flawless. so what else do you want from a powder?

on 11/22/2008 2:49:00 PM

ahhh big break out!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I do not like this at all as a powder foundation. It does not give good coverage, and gets cakey very fast. I have oily skin, and this does not control oil at all. I tried this as a setting powder over my foundation and it did look nice, but still no oil control. It did not work for me, but this may be a great product for someone with a drier skin looking for a good setting powder, or a sheer coverage powder foundation.

on 11/16/2008 2:25:00 PM

I purchased this after a Lancome makeup consultation at Dillards for my wedding. I have the Matte Toffee IV, and I absolutely love it. I got this along with the liquid foundation to wear on my wedding day, and I look fabulous in the photos. I have only worn foundation on that day, but every now and then I swipe on this powder because I don't want it to be a waste. It is the perfect color match. You can't even tell when I have used it. I use a brush to apply it because the sponge that's included makes the coverage too cakey looking. I also love the mirrored compact it comes in.

This has now replaced my MAC Studio Fix!! Yes, Studio Fix gives slightly better coverage, but Dual finish gives good coverage, but it still looks natural. Now I am not blessed with perfect, flawless skin, so most of the time I layer this on top of a lighter liquid foundation. My skin looks perfect!! I also love the shade selection much better than Studio Fix. I couldnt find a good match with MAC, but I was using NC20 which was too yellow for me. So I purchased Dual Finish in Porcelaine, which is PERFECT because it is still warm, but still has a balance of pink and yellow. I still need to touch up during the day, but the flawless look is worth every penny!! For those who are fortunate enough to already have good (or semi-good) skin, you will love this!!