Baking Soda

Sodium bicarbonate

on 9/25/2010 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Clogged pores on your chest and back? Yeah....never again...never again. Not with this stuff. Also fabulous for black heads on the nose when followed up with a bit of lemon juice after washed off.
update: *sigh*.......sort of stopped working...still works on the nose though!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I LOVE baking soda as shampoo! However, I agree with nakedcube that it takes some trail and error. The first time I used it I was convinced my hair was clean enough (it feels different wet post-wash than having shampoo cleaned hair) and I dried my hair out a bit. I have a very oily scalp and this gets my hair very clean but still leaves it soft w/out having to use conditioner and my hair even has more volume. And since I've been using it my hair stays clean much longer (I can wash every other day or longer instead of every day). I follow up with a water/apple cider vinegar rinse with I like to add honey too. My hair has been so soft and shiny and amazing that not only people I know but strangers have asked me about my hair routine and what products I use. And it so affordable!

As a dry shampoo, however I hate baking soda. While it rinses out easy with water, it can be challenging to get out. It left my hair feeling grainy and gross and looked like dandruff or a lice infestation. Just awful! But, thanks to my hair staying cleaner longer, I don't really feel as though I need a dry shampoo.

on 9/17/2010 11:08:00 PM

we use this at my spa as a part of our acne care facial. a teaspoon of baking soda to about 4 tablespoons of water. use it at home on your face, then apply warm towels for 6-10 minutes to really let it soak in and do it's work. i use it myself for when my cycle wrecks havoc on my T-zone.

however, as some reviewers have mentioned, it can leave your skin dryer than normal, so it's imperative to follow up with a thick moisturizer. otherwise, your skin will counter-act the dryness by making more bacteria-clinging oil, and negating any progress you may have been doing by using it in the first place.

I was looking into Mario Badescu Silver Powder (it removes blackheads, tightens pores, etc.) when I took a look at the ingredients and saw... calcium carbonate. Hey! Chemistry class flashback! Off I went to get some baking soda. I make a thick paste and put it on my nose. After it dried I washed it off with water and some of my black heads were gone! I had a bunch of clogged pores (so they were huge) and now I have less and they are not huge. I will try it over my entire face next time and see if baking soda works for pimples, but this was a pleasant discovery to end a not-great day. =)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I make a mask with the paste and i leave it on for about 10 mins than i wash it off. Or ill spot treat those random pimples i get over night... works good, ill continue to do this.

on 9/13/2010 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

DO NOT USE this on your face, ladies! I tried it mixed with water as an exfoliant and I regret it bigtime. It felt great the first time, but within a week I had cystic acne and pimples popping up all over my face , ESP where I never normally get them. I have normal combination skin and usually get breakouts only during my period but this baking soda shiz has left me with the worst breakouts since my preteens! Do NOT try this as an exfoliator.

on 9/12/2010 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought a 1 lb. box of Arm & Hammer baking soda for $1.99 at Safeway after reading the rave reviews here and on other websites for acne-prone skin. After only a few days of use, I'm extremely impressed with the results!
First I wash my face with a cleanser (either a soap-free wash or the L'Oreal Go 360 Clean cleanser that I'm trying to finish), then rinse off the lather. Then I take about half a teaspoon of baking soda and mix it with just enough water to make a paste, and I apply it to my entire face like a scrub. Like FrejaValentin said, the particles are extremely fine and it doesn't feel scratchy at all. Afterward, I apply a light moisturizer, and an acne treatment on any blemishes.
I did this once a day for three days, and now twice a day for the past two days. My skin is incredibly smooth, any blemishes I had are smoothed out and beginning to heal much faster than usual. I haven't experienced any stinging or pain from the BS, I've really only had good results. This is one of the best things I've done for my skin in a long time.
My only complaint is the cardboard box that it's packaged in is very inconvenient. It's hard to use it in the bathroom because any water near it gets the box wet and makes the baking soda clump. I'm still trying to find a suitable plastic container, I'm thinking about a Tupperware bowl or something. If that's the only thing that's wrong with the baking soda, I can't think of a reason for anyone not to try it.

on 9/7/2010 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I am a licensed Esthetician - Please people I have tried this to see what all the hype about it is and although it feels like it could be a scrub you would buy and used, the effects are NOT worth it! It will really screw up the pH level of your skin! Normal skin pH is said to be somewhat acidic and in the range of 4.2. to 5.6 and it varies from one part of the body to another. Baking soda is a pH of 8. It is important that we choose cosmetics and skincare products that have a pH value close to that of our own skin so as not to alter the skinís natural protective capabilities. pH imbalance is vital to prevent acne, infection, irritation and more importantly, slows down skin aging. And I believe that maintaining the pH balance level is even more essential for those with sensitive skin.

on 9/6/2010 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Tried this twice a week for two weeks for exfoliation and while it is effective, it strips away everything. I think baking soda can be harmful if overused, but for skin less drier than mine it can be a cheap substitute for exfoliating treatments out there. I prefer to use the paste for my feet and for cleaning my stove.

on 9/6/2010 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My skin's on the drier side for the most part and I use Differin Gel now which does a pretty good job at keeping the dead skin cells sloughed off, so I rarely exfoliate, but if my face is looking or feeling kind of dull and blah and I do need to exfoliate, this mixed with my Spectro Jel is the only thing I'll use. Works great and can be mixed with a variety of facial cleansers so you're not introducing an entirely new product to your skin. Leaves your skin super smooth! Always apply a good moisturizer immediately after use so your skin doesn't dry/tighten up and to soothe it, though the redness shouldn't last too long. If your skin's blazing red and raw after, you're definitely over-doing it! Also, of course, keep away from the delicate eye area. I also love this mixed with baby oil as a hand exfoliator or to scrub hard-to-remove stuff off of your hands, such as paint. Leaves your hands extremely smooth and soft! And baking soda's dirt cheap! Can't go wrong!

Popular Other Products