July 31, 2014 | 2020 users online

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2010 11:11:00 PM More reviews by ColdFire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought a 1 lb. box of Arm & Hammer baking soda for $1.99 at Safeway after reading the rave reviews here and on other websites for acne-prone skin. After only a few days of use, I'm extremely impressed with the results!
First I wash my face with a cleanser (either a soap-free wash or the L'Oreal Go 360 Clean cleanser that I'm trying to finish), then rinse off the lather. Then I take about half a teaspoon of baking soda and mix it with just enough water to make a paste, and I apply it to my entire face like a scrub. Like FrejaValentin said, the particles are extremely fine and it doesn't feel scratchy at all. Afterward, I apply a light moisturizer, and an acne treatment on any blemishes.
I did this once a day for three days, and now twice a day for the past two days. My skin is incredibly smooth, any blemishes I had are smoothed out and beginning to heal much faster than usual. I haven't experienced any stinging or pain from the BS, I've really only had good results. This is one of the best things I've done for my skin in a long time.
My only complaint is the cardboard box that it's packaged in is very inconvenient. It's hard to use it in the bathroom because any water near it gets the box wet and makes the baking soda clump. I'm still trying to find a suitable plastic container, I'm thinking about a Tupperware bowl or something. If that's the only thing that's wrong with the baking soda, I can't think of a reason for anyone not to try it.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/7/2010 5:29:00 PM More reviews by ccpetrucci

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am a licensed Esthetician - Please people I have tried this to see what all the hype about it is and although it feels like it could be a scrub you would buy and used, the effects are NOT worth it! It will really screw up the pH level of your skin! Normal skin pH is said to be somewhat acidic and in the range of 4.2. to 5.6 and it varies from one part of the body to another. Baking soda is a pH of 8. It is important that we choose cosmetics and skincare products that have a pH value close to that of our own skin so as not to alter the skinís natural protective capabilities. pH imbalance is vital to prevent acne, infection, irritation and more importantly, slows down skin aging. And I believe that maintaining the pH balance level is even more essential for those with sensitive skin.

14 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2010 10:10:00 PM More reviews by Jinhee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Tried this twice a week for two weeks for exfoliation and while it is effective, it strips away everything. I think baking soda can be harmful if overused, but for skin less drier than mine it can be a cheap substitute for exfoliating treatments out there. I prefer to use the paste for my feet and for cleaning my stove.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2010 4:46:00 PM More reviews by user24678

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My skin's on the drier side for the most part and I use Differin Gel now which does a pretty good job at keeping the dead skin cells sloughed off, so I rarely exfoliate, but if my face is looking or feeling kind of dull and blah and I do need to exfoliate, this mixed with my Spectro Jel is the only thing I'll use. Works great and can be mixed with a variety of facial cleansers so you're not introducing an entirely new product to your skin. Leaves your skin super smooth! Always apply a good moisturizer immediately after use so your skin doesn't dry/tighten up and to soothe it, though the redness shouldn't last too long. If your skin's blazing red and raw after, you're definitely over-doing it! Also, of course, keep away from the delicate eye area. I also love this mixed with baby oil as a hand exfoliator or to scrub hard-to-remove stuff off of your hands, such as paint. Leaves your hands extremely smooth and soft! And baking soda's dirt cheap! Can't go wrong!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2010 1:27:00 PM More reviews by FrejaValentin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I read on a forum somewhere that a model exfoliated her face with Clearasil and baking soda, I tried it on for size, and I was hooked.
It is very finegrained, which I like, feels more like microdermabrasion and not as scratchy as large particles. The texture when you mix it with Clearasil is very nice, glides easily over the skin and washes off easily.

I have very sensitive skin, but with this combo I haven't had any problems. I read that most just mix it with water, I think this would be too harsh for me. But the Clearasil maintains some of the moisture, and it really works well as an effective, but gentle scrub on my super dry and slightly blemished face - lifesaver!

In Denmark it comes in a plastic container and is dirt cheap, so it really is a great find.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2010 10:40:00 AM More reviews by aastew

5 Stars!!!!!!! OK- I have ben using the most expensive products on my face to keep it clear and smooth for years. My budget changed and I finally broke down and bought this 99 cent box of baking soda. It has CHANGED my skin. My acne has gone and my skin looks beautiful. I mix a tiny amount of baking soda with water in the shower and lightly scrub my face. I then wash it off with my Nutragena skin cleanser. I do this 3 times a week. I won't comment on a product until I have been using it least a month. I have been going on 3 months and my acne is gone and my skin is radiant! You will save a load of money using this natural product. Try it. I guarantee you will love it!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2010 10:26:00 AM More reviews by pizzicato

RAVE. I first heard of using baking soda from this site (http://www.elkevonfreudenberg.com/blog/2008/04/acne-skin-and-how-to-look-good/). I mixed a couple of teaspoons of baking soda with a tiny bit of water, just enough to form a slurry/paste, applied it, and waited for it to set. I've been suffering from terrible exam stress-related skin lately - I've gone from perfect skin to hyperpigmentation, acne and dark scarring in a few months, it's heartbreaking - and I was really hoping this would help. It didn't calm the acne - far from it - but it sloughed off all the dead skin/scabs on my face, making it insanely soft and most importantly, smooth.

As such, I'd recommend this for usage as the site above suggests - as a kind of preparation for your skin before makeup application. However, it hasn't done much for me in terms of acne prevention - but its efficacy in smoothening my skin cannot be denied. I highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2010 4:47:00 AM More reviews by OverTheHill

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Absolutely fabulous exfoliator, and heals and fades spots and blemishes. I know the received wisdom is that maybe you shouldn't use this on your face because it's waaaay too alkaline, but I have really tough, oily and acidic skin so this is fine. In fact even if I don't use it to scrub everyday I give my face a quick rinse with it before I apply foundation. The acid in my skin causes most foundations to oxidise very quickly, so a quick whizz with baking soda keeps it looking the way it's supposed to for much longer.
For UK users - we have bicarbonate of soda and baking powder available in the shops. This stuff is the bicarb.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2010 3:55:00 AM More reviews by arcybarrios

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have used baking soda for a very long time as a general body and face exfoliater (off and on) and I love it! I have never had any issues with it. I also use Lemon juice and sugar for the hands and sugar and baby or olive oil for the body. All of these with great results ( I would say maybe even better than the store bought products).

Aside from using the baking soda as a scrub I also clean with it (great toilet cleaner when used with white vinegar) and use it to relax my muscles by pouring some of it into my bathtub.

A must have in my house (fridge, pantry and bathroom)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2010 1:15:00 PM More reviews by mnw28

BEST EXFOLIATER EVER! I read in a magazine that Queen Latifah and Brooklyn Decker both use baking soda mixed with water or facial cleanser to exfoliate their face. Tried it and OH MY LORD! I was so pleased with the results. Baby smooth. I have used Philosophy Microderma Peel and the results were not as good. Plus who can beat the price??? I mean a box of baking soda is like $1 and it lasts forever. This stuff is so much better than any of the Apricot Scrubs or other store bought scrubs. A very fine texture and leaves your face fresh and smooth. Best home remedy ever.