L'Occitane 100% Pure Shea Butter

3.9

Shea Butter

I agree that this is heaven on parched, chapped lips, which is the primary way I use it. It's also a good all-purpose thing to have on hand - after using it on my lips or elsewhere, I sometimes run my fingers over my eyebrows to set them in place. It's also good for hair flyaways. And of course it can be used on any very dry body part.

My major complaint is the packaging. It comes in a shoepolish type tin, with a little lever that you twist on the side in order to pop the top off. Well my lever broke right off, so the only way I can open this is to pry it with a knife blade or something. I may have to try to transfer the shea butter to another container, which will certainly be a messy operation. Wish they would fix the packaging to make it more durable, since I like to carry mine around with me.

On edit: I washed out an old small pot of lip gloss and transfered some of the shea butter into that with a little knife - perfect solution! Now I can carry this around with me in a more convenient screw top pot and not have to deal with the awkward shoepolish tin. With this improved packaging, I rate the product a five because it is so good on my lips!

I just enjoy having this product at home. I use it on my lips and over my feet moisturizer. I feel like it holds my moisturizer in.

Hard to get the tin open. Also, this is refined with Hexane (thus the white color) so all of the healing properties of natural shea are extracted out, and then the product is waxy. Boo! Get your shea from sheabutterman on eBay, yo!

I've had better, but it does the trick i suppose. it does feel greasy like, and the taste is almost purfumey,..something strong.. like sunblock tasting too. its not awful, just not something i'd buy again and again

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

As a lipbalm -this is the ultimate best. It cured my dry, cracked, bleeding (ouch) lips in an instant and doesn't leave any waxy feeling. Feels absolutely natural to have on, this is the best lipbalm I've ever tried and I've tried my fair share!
$8 CAD for a small tin is not bad considering how long it lasts, however, I usually by the large tin (better value) and use that as a lipbalm. It ought to last 1-2 years!

- all this product is, is basically pure shea butter, nothing more, nothing less
- Doesn't moisturise well
- takes effort to apply, need to rub this wax like butter between your hands b4 applying
- Expensive but lasts a very long time
- Unhygienic round metal tin packaging
- Good for lips though

I won't be without this. Yeah, it's not cheap, and the tin can be a pain to open (though I tend to like the style of l'Occitane's packaging in general). But it's good for some really important basic stuff: lip balm, dry chapped elbows, dry cracked heels, cuticle cream, etc., etc. My biggest testimonial: I had a 3rd degree burn on the palm of my hand, and had emergency room treatment. Once the dressing and xeroform were removed, I applied this shea butter several times a day. The skin returned to normal *very* quickly, and not a trace of a scar. I think l'Occitane's is the best pure shea butter available, and while it's not good for everything (like hair!) it's excellent for extreme situations.

This is simply the best lip balm. The big tin of it is the best deal, but it can be very hard to spread. I like to carry the small tins around in my pocket, and the body heat makes it much easier to spread.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a wonderful shea butter. It's so smooth instead of grainy like so many others. While this adds some moisture, I've found that it's best used as a barrier to keep moisture in. The last time I was out in the snow this saved me from getting windburned.

I hate hate hate the smell. I can't stand it on my lips and it made them worse. I will use this up as a cuticle cream (I really need one right now) but I will not be rebuying.