Biotin (All brands)

3.5

on 4/18/2010 1:22:00 PM

I took the 500mcg dose, and I started to develop itchy jawline acne, like Really itchy and there were a lot of pimples near my cheeks. It made my eyebrows grow super fast (the amount of eyebrow growth I would get in 2-3 weeks I got in about a week or so), and also, I noticed my eye lashes were a lot fuller. I did not see any different or enhanced growth for the hair on my head. I wish I could have kept taking it, because my lashes were indeed much fuller, but Biotin did horrible things to my skin. After I stopped taking Biotin, my skin went back to normal within 2 weeks.

on 4/18/2010 1:13:00 PM

I gave it 5 lippies because I think it does well on what it suppose to do. I started off taking 500mcg per day, but I noticed that it makes my hair coarser, so I reduced the dose to only 250mcg (strong nails and nice hair, I think i'll go for nice hair instead). So far so good. My nails are not extremely stronger or tougher, but it's way better than before, or it's good enough to my standard. I will stop after I finish the bottom to see if there is any significant differences before continuing with biotin. Overall, it's a good supplement if you do want stronger hair and nails.

on 4/18/2010 1:05:00 PM

After taking this for a about a month I was wondering what was up with the breakouts. I've never been one to have but a pimple or two a month, at most. I'm so glad someone posted that it causes breakouts. I thought it would be nothing but good for my skin until I realized it all started when I started the Biotin. I stopped immediately and my face was clear in about 2 weeks.

on 4/18/2010 12:49:00 PM

I was a bit nervous to take biotin because I do break out regularly so I have only been taking 2,000mcg daily. It's been 4 weeks and I can't believe how strong my nails are. They usually are very thin, flimsy and peel like crazy. Right now they are long, strong and haven't peeled at all! After four weeks of using this I am noticing deeper pimples and more of them on my face and back. I hope this goes away because my nail have never looked so good! We'll see if this helps my hair at all!

on 3/21/2010 11:24:00 AM

I LOVE biotin! I have been taking two 5,000mcg pills everyday for the past few years and the results are amazing. My hair is very prone to breakage(due to styling, coloring & so on), after a few weeks of regularly taking biotin I noticed breakage reduced by 90%. It also helps to strengthen & grow my nails, although that is not my main purpose for taking it. I read that some reviewers experienced breakouts with large doses of biotin. I am pretty acne-prone and have not noticed any breakouts associated with biotin. My hair grows about an average of an inch or so a month now and I am constantly receiving compliments about how fast my hair grows and how healthy it appears. I would say this is a must for any woman's medicine cabinet. Another plus, biotin is dirt cheap, found it at walmart for about 10 bucks a bottle which normally lasts me about a month and a half.

on 3/19/2010 1:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Vitamin Shoppe Biotin 5mg capsules (5000mcg), 1 daily w/food. At the same time also supplementing w/Vitamin Shoppe Silica (Horsetail Extract) 35mg tablets, 2 daily w/food (+ general vitamin-mineral supplements).

Wk 1: Longer lashes! Surprised.

Wk 2: Smaller pores!! No more comments of "why do you have those holes in your face?" Thank God.

Wk 3: Razor-sharp resilient nails. I cut my own chin during sleep which caused a little bleeding. Wow! My nails are looking healthier, neater & stronger. They're not thicker, but they are absolutely stronger & resist breakage. (I'm afraid of hurting myself again, lol.)

Wk 4: Thick, strong toenails. Cutting them was never such a challenge until now. What a job.

Wk 6: Small breakout of micro pimples on my chest, neck, back, shoulders, & a little bit along my forehead & jawline. Not truly disturbing like a real acne breakout (which I had for 20+ yrs till my skin cleared up a couple yrs ago). Will wait to see if this will worsen or if it's caused by something else...

Wk 8: Doing well. Most of those tiny pimples cleared up. Nails still strong as rocks & sharp as knives. I do believe my body hair is growing faster (I have to shave sooner/more often), but I don't care b/c I think that includes the hair on my head too (I want to grow longer hair).

UPDT 3/15/12 -
God bless biotin! I stopped taking it for a while & now that I've started it again 2 months ago, I'm seeing all the great results in my nails again! And yeah, I keep scratching myself accidentally...ouch. My legs need shaving more often again, but I'm willing to do it for the sake of fabulous nails.

on 2/11/2010 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Gave me break-outs!

on 2/7/2010 11:16:00 AM

I am one of the unfortunate ones who cannot tolerate biotin at all. I tried it for 6 months and those were the most miserable 6 months ever for my skin. I had constant uncontrollable breakouts of cystic acne - it was a nightmare. Eight to ten nodules at a time - it was so embarrassing and painful. I pinned it on everything but the biotin and finally ran across a thread that linked biotin to breakouts. I threw away my bottle and my skin cleared up in 2 weeks, still dealing with some of the scarring. Needless to say, I will never touch Biotin again. Obviously nothing it might have done for my hair/nails is worth sacrificing my face for.

on 2/7/2010 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I've been taking Biotin supplements for years now. I take several medications that have the side effect of hair loss, and had gotten VERY thin on top, and was getting extremely self-conscious about it (a comb-over doesn't look good on a woman, either!). My stylist recommended Biotin, and shortly thereafter my doctor did the same.

I've been taking megadoses (5000mcg) per day. Not only has the thinning stopped, but I believe I have had some regrowth. I have short pieces of hair popping up all around my hairline and along the thinnest areas of hair, and my "bald" area has filled in. I'm still far from having thick, luxurious hair, but at least it is growing uniformly across my scalp now and there are no specifically thin areas. I can now pull my hair back from my face without seeing scalp (what a relief!).

I have not experienced breakouts from Biotin, except for the short period when I tried to up the dosage even higher than 5000 mcg, which is probably an overdose anyway. However, based on the reviews on this board, YMMV on this, so you may want to start low and proceed with caution. I don't break out to begin with, so it really takes a lot of anything for me to have problems.

Good luck!

on 2/7/2010 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really think this aught to be in every woman's medicine cabinet. If not than one can naturally in food. Good dietary sources of biotin include brewer's yeast, nutritional yeast, liver, cauliflower, salmon, bananas, carrots, egg yolks, sardines, legumes (lentils and beans) and mushrooms.

It really improves hair and strengthens it, but the key is consistency, you can't skip!!!

Popular Treatments