January 29, 2015 | 1897 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2010 12:49:00 PM More reviews by luckylauram

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I was a bit nervous to take biotin because I do break out regularly so I have only been taking 2,000mcg daily. It's been 4 weeks and I can't believe how strong my nails are. They usually are very thin, flimsy and peel like crazy. Right now they are long, strong and haven't peeled at all! After four weeks of using this I am noticing deeper pimples and more of them on my face and back. I hope this goes away because my nail have never looked so good! We'll see if this helps my hair at all!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2010 11:24:00 AM More reviews by jmark3

I LOVE biotin! I have been taking two 5,000mcg pills everyday for the past few years and the results are amazing. My hair is very prone to breakage(due to styling, coloring & so on), after a few weeks of regularly taking biotin I noticed breakage reduced by 90%. It also helps to strengthen & grow my nails, although that is not my main purpose for taking it. I read that some reviewers experienced breakouts with large doses of biotin. I am pretty acne-prone and have not noticed any breakouts associated with biotin. My hair grows about an average of an inch or so a month now and I am constantly receiving compliments about how fast my hair grows and how healthy it appears. I would say this is a must for any woman's medicine cabinet. Another plus, biotin is dirt cheap, found it at walmart for about 10 bucks a bottle which normally lasts me about a month and a half.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2010 1:39:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Vitamin Shoppe Biotin 5mg capsules (5000mcg), 1 daily w/food. At the same time also supplementing w/Vitamin Shoppe Silica (Horsetail Extract) 35mg tablets, 2 daily w/food (+ general vitamin-mineral supplements).

Wk 1: Longer lashes! Surprised.

Wk 2: Smaller pores!! No more comments of "why do you have those holes in your face?" Thank God.

Wk 3: Razor-sharp resilient nails. I cut my own chin during sleep which caused a little bleeding. Wow! My nails are looking healthier, neater & stronger. They're not thicker, but they are absolutely stronger & resist breakage. (I'm afraid of hurting myself again, lol.)

Wk 4: Thick, strong toenails. Cutting them was never such a challenge until now. What a job.

Wk 6: Small breakout of micro pimples on my chest, neck, back, shoulders, & a little bit along my forehead & jawline. Not truly disturbing like a real acne breakout (which I had for 20+ yrs till my skin cleared up a couple yrs ago). Will wait to see if this will worsen or if it's caused by something else...

Wk 8: Doing well. Most of those tiny pimples cleared up. Nails still strong as rocks & sharp as knives. I do believe my body hair is growing faster (I have to shave sooner/more often), but I don't care b/c I think that includes the hair on my head too (I want to grow longer hair).

UPDT 3/15/12 -
God bless biotin! I stopped taking it for a while & now that I've started it again 2 months ago, I'm seeing all the great results in my nails again! And yeah, I keep scratching myself accidentally...ouch. My legs need shaving more often again, but I'm willing to do it for the sake of fabulous nails.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2010 6:06:00 PM More reviews by iqaganda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Gave me break-outs!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/7/2010 11:16:00 AM More reviews by linseyp

I am one of the unfortunate ones who cannot tolerate biotin at all. I tried it for 6 months and those were the most miserable 6 months ever for my skin. I had constant uncontrollable breakouts of cystic acne - it was a nightmare. Eight to ten nodules at a time - it was so embarrassing and painful. I pinned it on everything but the biotin and finally ran across a thread that linked biotin to breakouts. I threw away my bottle and my skin cleared up in 2 weeks, still dealing with some of the scarring. Needless to say, I will never touch Biotin again. Obviously nothing it might have done for my hair/nails is worth sacrificing my face for.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2010 11:05:00 AM More reviews by shanstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been taking Biotin supplements for years now. I take several medications that have the side effect of hair loss, and had gotten VERY thin on top, and was getting extremely self-conscious about it (a comb-over doesn't look good on a woman, either!). My stylist recommended Biotin, and shortly thereafter my doctor did the same.

I've been taking megadoses (5000mcg) per day. Not only has the thinning stopped, but I believe I have had some regrowth. I have short pieces of hair popping up all around my hairline and along the thinnest areas of hair, and my "bald" area has filled in. I'm still far from having thick, luxurious hair, but at least it is growing uniformly across my scalp now and there are no specifically thin areas. I can now pull my hair back from my face without seeing scalp (what a relief!).

I have not experienced breakouts from Biotin, except for the short period when I tried to up the dosage even higher than 5000 mcg, which is probably an overdose anyway. However, based on the reviews on this board, YMMV on this, so you may want to start low and proceed with caution. I don't break out to begin with, so it really takes a lot of anything for me to have problems.

Good luck!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2010 10:46:00 AM More reviews by GoodGala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really think this aught to be in every woman's medicine cabinet. If not than one can naturally in food. Good dietary sources of biotin include brewer's yeast, nutritional yeast, liver, cauliflower, salmon, bananas, carrots, egg yolks, sardines, legumes (lentils and beans) and mushrooms.

It really improves hair and strengthens it, but the key is consistency, you can't skip!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2010 12:25:00 AM More reviews by makeupjunkie35

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love!! I would highly recommend! Just don't go overboard in dosage. If you are taking Biotin alone, try to keep it within the 30-300 micrograms range. Otherwise you could break out. Recipe for growing healthy long hair:

1. Vitamin B-complex - 50 mg. of the major B-vitamins (including folate, biotin and inositol)
2. Vitamin B-6 - 50 mg.
3. One recommended daily dose of sulfur, zinc, & magnesium,
4. Silica (horsetail) - 300 mg. daily
5. Nettle - 250 mg. three times daily
6. Beta-Carotene - 10,000 to 15,000 IU of beta-carotene daily
7. Flaxseed oil - one tbsp daily or one tablet
8. Vitamin E - 400 to 800 IU daily
9. Vitamin C with bioflavonoids - one to two grams daily
10. Castor oil -only cold pressed & hexane free, mixed with a lighter oil like grape seed oil or almond oil....castor oil is very thick on it's own.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2010 2:44:00 PM More reviews by LuckyTiger44

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Taking 3,000 mg. now but may up it. Taking it for my hair and nails. Really works for the hair, but I file my nails so much can't tell the growth. However, it really makes your hair grow faster. Supposedly improves your skin, too. Love it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2010 8:02:00 PM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This helps my hair and nails grow faster but not actually regain hair (I have thin hair since age 30) I had to cut back on it because with taking two capsules I had crazy acne outbreaks everywhere and this is not the norm for me! This was the only addition to my supplements at the time so I know it was the biotin.