Biotin (All brands)

3.5

on 5/12/2010 12:31:00 AM

Taking 5 mg/day (pretty high dose)... I got my hair thickness back after abusing my body by changing bcp in too short a period of time(caused shedding, and never got full density back until now). Now I have my thick mane of hair again... plus, it is growing at a much faster rate as well. My nails are also growing faster. IT DOES WORK. It was effective for me, and my hairdresser even commented on how fast my hair is growing now. It took a full 2 months to notice a distance, but guess what?

Breakouts from hell as a result! I gave it a 3 b/c I know it works SO WELL and doesn't cause breakouts in everybody. It caused painful, itchy chin/jawline and back acne on me! Dreadful! I have always been somewhat breakout prone, but have been able to control it and never had it flare up like this!!!!! Acne from biotin cannot be treated no matter what you do! Proceed with caution...
UPDATE: Well, I stopped taking it for months and began again taking it only every other day. No acne this time! Strange... I switched from the vitaminshoppe brand to another brand that has a blend of 5mg of biotin+ other b's as well. My growth rate is starting to pick up, but not quite as much as before. I'm happy so far, though! If ur having acne from biotin, I suggest lay off for a few weeks then pick it back up to every other day. Drink tons of water when you take biotin!!!!

has made my nails stronger but done nothing at all for my hair which is already thick but has broken ends. 6-week trims are mandatory, so i am not leaving the growth all the way up to nature. in consideration of this, i do not notice faster growth than i have with this trimming schedule for the past many years

on 5/6/2010 1:07:00 AM

Back in November I bleached my hair into a mushy pulp, and had to chop it all off. Since then, I've been trying to grow it out and I figured biotin couldn't hurt...I've been taking 5000mcg for three months now and I haven't noticed a change in my head hair growth, it's still pretty slow. However, my arm hair has grown freakishly long, my eyebrows have gone crazy, and leg and *ahem* other hair is growing like a weed. I haven't had any problems with breakouts, and I will try to finish the bottle but I doubt I'll repurchase as this is making me a slave to the shave. It would be worth it if the head hair grew, but unfortunately the results seem to be from the eyebrows down. Yuck!

on 4/20/2010 4:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I take a whole cocktail of tablets for hairgrowth, my husband thinks Im mad! he's probably right but cutting it was a bad idea and i want my hair long again more than anything. some supplements ive been taking include silica, prenatal supplements and biotin...
Ive been taking them for many months but I still feel my hair grows dead slow! However I have noticed my nails are as strong as steel and my lashes are certainly fuller and longer recently! My eye brows need touching up more frequently too. So im not sure if its the Biotin or the other stuff I take but I will continue my crazy cocktail of pills everyday because I believe even though my hair is not growing faster it probably is growing stronger at least.
I haven't had any unusual breakouts on my skin since taking Biotin.

on 4/20/2010 12:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I've never had problems with acne while taking biotin and I am acne prone and oily. I love taking biotin for hair and nail health and have never heard of these problems. Just in case anyone doesn't know biotin is an amino acid and naturally occurs within the body so an overabundance when you don't need it could lead to those problems.

Biotin does wonderful things for my nails and hair.........they grow like crazy! I have found that Biotin does not cause any acne symptoms for me. I take 5000mcg daily.

on 4/19/2010 11:35:00 PM

I will never get anything with Biotin in it again.
If you are acne prone, or not acne prone even, stay awayyyy.

I started Elu Hair which has biotin and other vitamins a months ago, and I would take it whenever I remembered (not everyday). I was breaking out all the time and had no idea why, then I got off the bc pill and really started breaking out. I changed my diet and took supplements and things were FINALLY going back to normal...then i was like hey well lets get back to working on my hair again!
So I started nioxin and omg...break outs again, worse tho! Cycstic acne on my cheeks and chin. I was so upset and never ever thought it would be from a product called hair SKIN and nails! Im so glad I finally looked it up because I stopped taking it and I havent had a cystic pimple in the last 5 days but I still have a million tiny bumps and red marks from where the big ones were.
UGH it was awful, trust me.

BUTYEAH, It does make your hair grow quickly, very quickly. But definately defffffinately not worth what it does to your skin. I already have long hair so screw it, so done with biotin.

on 4/18/2010 1:22:00 PM

I took the 500mcg dose, and I started to develop itchy jawline acne, like Really itchy and there were a lot of pimples near my cheeks. It made my eyebrows grow super fast (the amount of eyebrow growth I would get in 2-3 weeks I got in about a week or so), and also, I noticed my eye lashes were a lot fuller. I did not see any different or enhanced growth for the hair on my head. I wish I could have kept taking it, because my lashes were indeed much fuller, but Biotin did horrible things to my skin. After I stopped taking Biotin, my skin went back to normal within 2 weeks.

on 4/18/2010 1:13:00 PM

I gave it 5 lippies because I think it does well on what it suppose to do. I started off taking 500mcg per day, but I noticed that it makes my hair coarser, so I reduced the dose to only 250mcg (strong nails and nice hair, I think i'll go for nice hair instead). So far so good. My nails are not extremely stronger or tougher, but it's way better than before, or it's good enough to my standard. I will stop after I finish the bottom to see if there is any significant differences before continuing with biotin. Overall, it's a good supplement if you do want stronger hair and nails.

on 4/18/2010 1:05:00 PM

After taking this for a about a month I was wondering what was up with the breakouts. I've never been one to have but a pimple or two a month, at most. I'm so glad someone posted that it causes breakouts. I thought it would be nothing but good for my skin until I realized it all started when I started the Biotin. I stopped immediately and my face was clear in about 2 weeks.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products