July 30, 2014 | 1458 users online

Foundations - Urban Decay - Surreal Skin Mineral Makeup

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2006 2:56:00 PM More reviews by ErCar

I think this foundation is amazing. I have tried a few mineral foundations: B.E (made my pores look huge although I loved how natural it looked) and Philosophy Supernatural (a little expensive and...there was something I didn't like about it although I can't quite put my finger on what...perhaps it looked the slightest bit heavy...?) Anyway, although I have tried many foundation and own a couple, I tend to not wear them because I hate the look of foundation, hate the cakiness, etc. I do like the idea of my skin looking better, however and decided I'd give this a try. This really is the best foundation i've ever tried. It looks very natural and gives minimal coverage (something that some people might not like but that I love). My skin is rather oily but half way through the day I develop a glow with this, not oil. I don't have sensitive skin but I imagine that this is non-irritating. I would highly recommend this, especially if you've been looking for that foundation that "feels like nothing, looks like nothing but makes my skin look great!" Oh, and I actually really LIKE the sponge applicator (weird, I know). And just for reference, I am NC25 and "Supernatural" is a perfect match.

UPDATE: I still love this so much, I can't imagine using anything else. My skin looks so smooth and perfect and totally natural. I want to marry this foundation. :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2006 2:23:00 PM More reviews by Lyssachelle

I've always wanted to try mineral makeup, but Bare Escentuals is way too red for my medium-dark skin, so I was excited to find this product in Vision. It seemed perfect, yellow enough for me, but not too dark.

BUT, I was so mad about the packaging, I very nearly took this back to Sephora. When I'd tried it in the store, I'd used a brushed because they'd removed the puff from the jar to make it more accessible. (That should have tipped me off.) When I got home, the puff made it almost impossible for me to get enough coverage. It say on my counter for about week until I messed with it one day and found that I could remove the puff. Now I just keep it off and tap enough into the lid that I can apply it with a brush.

I love this product for daytime because it's so light and lets my skin shine through. (Which I appreciate because why spend an ungodly amount on cleaners to have good skin, and then cover it up all the time? :-) ) I still need to use powder occasionally throughout the day, but not as often. I mostly use this as a daytime foundation; the coverage is good, but not as much as I'd like for a nighttime look.

So overall, I love it, although they need to ditch that stupid puff....

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2006 8:01:00 PM More reviews by hepgal13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am on my second container of this foundation and I just love the way it looks on! This is the only mineral foundation of the many I have tried that I do not need to use a spot concealer with. Just a drab of concealer under the eyes, and the rest of the face ends up flawless. It took a little while for me to get used to the puff application. It definately gives you just a little bit of product at a time, but I've found thats a good thing. All of the mineral brands recommend that you apply in light layers to get the most natural looking coverage, and this packaging certainly forces you to do that! I love the result. It really doesn't take any longer to apply then liquid foundation with a brush would take, but looks so beautiful you would think you'd been airbrushed. "Illusion" is a tad too dark for me in Winter, but with a hint of bronzer is perfect ( I'm a NC15)... Lately my skin has been dryer than normal ( over agressive BHA's are the reason, I am sure), so I am trying this with a tinted moisturizer. I'll post the results soon!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2006 2:37:00 PM More reviews by sweetcaroline

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this product. I've owned their surreal skin powder foundation in the past and it gave me an ethereal airbrushed look. I gave this mineral foundation a try, but it just didn't work for my oily t-zone. I put it on at 6am and by 11am I was a sweaty mess and needed to blot. I found it hard to cover up red areas, so I'd have to use concealor. It's also very hard to apply. I found myself "slapping" my face with the puff just to get some powder on my face. I also accidently spilled some when I accidently opened the case. Not for me. I returned this to Sephora. Also v. expensive for $28.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2006 5:21:00 PM More reviews by glitterpanda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was so excited about UD's new mineral make-up. I love the whole UD line so much, and I love mineral make-up! I have been using BE for 3 years. It works perfect for me, perfect color (I wear fair #1 and it doesn't turn orange, pink or yellow on me), perfect everything, etc. But I wanted to get UD for variety and these reviews seemed promising. Well it turns out they do not make a color that matches my skin. The lightest color was very yellow/orange and dark on me. Now I may be pale, but I can still wear BE's summer bisque as foundation blended very well when I have a summer "tan". UD's lightest shade was even darker and yellower than BE's summer bisque. The finish didn't look as natural as the BE but it was probably because of the color mismatch. It looked sorta chalky. I actually prefer the "shiny" glow of BE. I always get compliments on my skin with BE. I do not see that kind of success with UD. If they would make my color maybe I would be more impressed. The packaging wasn't that bad, it seems travel friendly, so in that way it one-ups BE IMO. Otherwise I'll stick to my beloved BE like I have for all these years.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2006 10:13:00 AM More reviews by missytakespics

As someone below stated...the packaging on this is a little tricky at first. Also, I would suggest that you try this in person before buying to get the correct shade, as I also had issues with choosing the wrong shade and getting blotchy coverage (not the products fault). So here is my review:
LOVE!
I originally bought this in "Dream" because Im not the palest girl but I'm no medium shade (I teeter between NC15 and 20 in MAC). I tried the puff, I tried a kabuki, I tried a sponge...it gave me good coverage but it was splotchy because the shade was a tiny bit too dark for me. So then I ordered "Illusion". Figured if it was too light I would just mix them together. No need. Illusion is the perfect shade for my face. Works great as a concealer, builds up for extra coverage. The thing I like best about this product (ok there is more than one thing i like)...it makes me feel like I have no makeup on at all! And yet, I glow! Its my first stab at mineral makeup and I'm quite hooked on it. I show a big improvement in my skin, less breakouts, more vibrance. But yes, the container is tricky at first. I find the best way to apply it is NOT using the puff, the powder seems to either not come out at all or fly everywhere. I unscrew the puff (the on/off switch, that clicks open and closed, just keep turning it when you open it and it will unscrew off) and use a kabuki (or smashbox #19 in my case) and a concealer brush to apply this. You can also use the puff but unscrew it from the jar and dip it into the powder instead (i learned that watching qvc last night) and shake off the excess.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2006 1:12:00 PM More reviews by cavewoman

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After doing as much research on this product as I could, in terms of choosing the right shade to order, I do not know if I made a mistake because I chose wrong, or if I just would not be able to get a match in any of the shades. I chose Dream. I am an NW20-23 and this shade, Dream, is so orangey on me that it is unwearable. It's going back to Sephora immediately.
Enough for the shade itself, but also I should add some comments on the texture, application, evenness of appearance on the skin. I tried it first with the applicator itself, and it went on blotchy. Then I unscrewed the cap and tried it using my Bare Escentuals brush, and it went on blotchier.
Maybe if I had a good match for my skin tone I would not have noticed it so much, but I can't give this much of a recommendation at all. If you can find a match, you may be pleased, but I have a feeling that unless UD makes more shades, we're going to see plenty of these on swap lists.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/28/2006 11:17:00 PM More reviews by teenbear

I can't believe no one has mentioned how hideous the packaging of this is! I can't get the top off to use it with a brush so I have to use the sponge thing which is just evil! You have to really tug at your skin to get any powder on it which feels really bad. Otherwise it is really good for my very oily T-zone skin. I got this in 'Supernatural' which is a little yellow (but no lipsticks off for a bad colour choice on my part). I am NW20, GA #4 for reference. Will definitely buy again, but in a lighter colour. EDIT 25/04/06 Now using 'Illusion' which is a much better colour for me. Still very happy with this MMU.further Edit 19/06/06 - what was I thinking, this stuff was still insanely yellow! Gave this away.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2006 6:22:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been wanting a mineral make-up so badly for a long time but haven't had success with anything until I found this. I liked Bare Escentuals but it was just too shiny looking and left me feeling like a mirror. Plus the colors started our great but by the end of the day would look orange or pink. That was the closest to great I had used. But this is far superior. This leaves a semi-matte finish, so there's nothing shiny but it does give a glowing look. Very beautiful and natural looking. Dream is a perfect match for my skintone, and the color never changes throughout the day. Covers perfectly too...I only use a very sheer layer but that gives me an airbrushed effect and covers anything I need covered. It is very buildable too if you're looking for a heavier coverage. I adore the sponge applicator that's built in and haven't found the need to apply it with the brush as some of the other reviewers have done, although I'm sure that would work great too. The packaging is perfect for controlling the amount of powder let into the sponge too...there's a little dial that can be opened and closed as needed. I am so happy with this foundation! I would recommend this to everyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2006 8:17:00 PM More reviews by crazykatgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been intrigued by mineral makeup but have never used it as I've always hated that shiny look it tends to give people.
When this came out, I had to try it when I learned that it leaves a velvety matte finish.
It comes in a small jar with a buffing sponge top, which you can take off if you prefer to use a brush.
The coverage is buildable based on your preference, and it gives a nice soft, natural look.
A few ladies became interested in trying the product when they saw it on my skin.
I use the shade Supernatural, for my NC20-25 oily skin, and find that it doesn't change colors, not too pink, nor too yellow. Just the right shade, and it really looks like part of my skin. It costs $28, and although the package may seem small, the product will last a while as a little goes a long way.
A new HG for me. =)