July 28, 2014 | 1225 users online

Cleansers - Cetaphil - Gentle Skin Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 on 8/25/2013 9:40:00 PM More reviews by cathym630

It didnt do anything for me. Didnt even get my makeup off... I have combination skin, maybe this is better for sensitive skin only?

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2013 6:17:00 AM More reviews by Lalasmooch

I am 20, combo sensitive skin prone to breakouts (not acne) and redness. Tried cetaphil after reading recommendations online about how gentle it is on skin. As someone who needs breakout treatment, but whose skin burns with every acne cream I try I hoped cetaphil would be my answer, sadly I was wrong.

I agree it's definitely gentle on skin and was one of the few products I've tried that didn't burn or irritate my face at all on application. I will admit its also taken some of the redness down. My issue arose when after 2 weeks its not only done nothing to reduce my breakouts, but possibly made them worse. On my cheeks where I'm prone to a few bumps here and there, cetaphil broke me out in patchy like acne. I also started getting nasty sore whiteheads on my forehead. If your looking for a breakout treatment, cetaphil isn't the one to buy.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/22/2013 4:59:00 AM More reviews by adrianamelie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have sensitive skin, so I thought that this would be great. Turns out I was wrong. This face wash doesn't make my face feel as clean. I have oily skin too so this did not control my shine at all. I use the Cetaphil moisturizer afterwards and while the moisturizer is great, this wash is definitely not. It doesn't remove makeup, it doesn't feel like it's cleaning ANYTHING really. Water feels cleaner than this. Worst part is that it broke me out a bit. Small red bumps started appearing on my cheeks. Might be because it doesn't control my oiliness so i started to produce a shitton of oil. Sigh, I really wanted this product to work.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2013 10:10:00 PM More reviews by fernice0

This cleanser is really gentle! 3 weeks ago, I started developing an eczema patch on my left cheek after doing a facial. Despite moisturising the spot frequently, the patch just doesn't go away and it's starting to irritate me. I was using clinique cleanser (for dry and combo), along with avene thermal water as a toner and a moisturiser from the parlour, which is meant for oily and sensitive skin. I even used the intensive moisturising cream (from cetaphil) and aloe vera gel but it still doesn't calm it down. Nowhere to turn to, I finally decided to purchase the hydrocortisone cream. was kinda reluctant to do it because I read online that hydrocortisone will thin the skin. It slightly reduces the inflammation but I wasn't getting the results that my friend claims after 5 days. And 5 days ago, I can feel that there are 3 bumps within that patch. Probably my acne that refuses to erupt into whitehead. I was confused whether the patch is eczema or acne in the midst of erupting.

Looking at my regime, I started wondering which product is the harshest to my skin that causes it to react that way. I have many cleansers at home and I was pretty hesitant in buying another one that might not work. I found a small bottle that costs me sgd$8 that will probably last me for 2 mths. After using it to cleanse my face ytd night and this morning, I realised my eczema patch has diminished alot albeit the red acne. I can now see my skin colour in between the acnes! This switch has caused a major change in the eczema patch. Now I gotta deal with my acne by consuming doxycycline antibiotics and using differin gel to dry up the pimples. Crossing my fingers that the differin gel won't cause my skin to have another round of eczema.

If you are unsure whether this cleanser is suitable for your skin, you can register online (via facebook for singapore) to get a sample that can probably last you for a week. I was pretty lucky to find a small bottle at one outlet after checking out several watsons/guardian (drugstores), only to find the big bottle. Will continue using it for a week to see whether this product truly works for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/21/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by TayGraham

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This cleanser is very cheap and very gentle. It doesn't foam and isn't harsh on skin. If you have acne I would suggest using it with a benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid treatment but I won't use it again because its kinda drying ! Try it out first !

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2013 8:19:00 PM More reviews by msfrost

I blindly tried this out because it's got quite the cult following. I don't like it and I won't try it again. As a girl who lives in a very dry climate, who doesn't drink as much water as she should, doesn't get a lot of sleep, and who enjoys cocktail hour (I know, I'm so sorry, dear skin!!), my skin pretty much screams out when a product dehydrates it, blatantly dries it out, or just irritates it. Cetaphyl dried it out and irritated it a bit. I will not put up with any product that will give me premature wrinkles. My lifestyle does enough damage already.

The ingredients are few (taken from the label on the container): Water, cetyl alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearyl alcohol, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben.

So, basically, there's only water, alcohol, a sulfate, and parabens. Sure, the alcohols included are relatively harmless for your skin. Some might even consider them beneficial. All right. But then there's sodium lauryl sulfate, which is a very harsh, irritating cleansing agent. THIS IS NOT AN INGREDIENT YOU WANT IN A "GENTLE" SKIN CLEANSER. That's when this product lost me as a customer. Cetaphil may or may not work for some, but I don't like it.

Plus, there's 3 parabens (they help conserve the product) and even though the tests are (so far) inconclusive, they're thought to have a direct relation with cancer cells.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2013 4:57:00 AM More reviews by Jaded81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is extremely gentle, but I do not like the fact that it does not foam, and my skin still feels oily, unclean and "coated" after using it. QV's Gentle Wash is far better!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2013 11:01:00 PM More reviews by Kibum

I have sensitive combo skin with an oily forehead and dry-ish rest of face. For the first few days it worked great and seemed to dry up some whiteheads on my chin and made my skin on my forehead less oily and less bumpy. It did make my skin feel a little bit tight but it wasn't bad. I would wash 2x a day and after changing to 1x a day for only 1 day my forehead became extremely oily again and i started breaking out. It left a weird texture on my forehead and the bumps started reappearing. It also made some red bumps appear around my nose, blackheads appear on my cheek, and the whiteheads on my chin came back. I would not recommend this for anyone with oily skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/13/2013 11:55:00 PM More reviews by Ginger4233

This was probably the worst face wash I have ever used, at least for me it was. This broke me out so bad. I basically break out once in a while and its only a pimple or 2. But once I started using this my whole forehead was covered in breakouts. And once I stop using it my acnes cleared right up. It doesn't clean your face very well, I always feel like my fave is still dirty after washing.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/13/2013 3:27:00 AM More reviews by rawrer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Gentle and cleanses well. But it will not remove make up straight off - so you might need to use some oil/make up remover before using Cetaphil. Otherwise, not drying - which is great! Using it in conjunction with the Cetaphil moisturizer.