August 31, 2014 | 1323 users online

Sunscreen - Clarins - UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2005 2:13:00 AM More reviews by mrschee

Its the BEST sunscreen i've tried! I have slightly dry skin n was using clinique city block before but it even dry my skin more. CLARINS is great coz it protect my face well n i dont feel oily at all. Its so light and a litte is enough for the entire face. My skin look fresh all day and it doesnt look dull at the end of the day like some sunscreen do. The only CONs - the price$$ :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2005 7:18:00 PM More reviews by beantowngrl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

:( I really wanted to like this product. But unfortunatly I think this one is not for me.
The pros: I like that the bottle and also the fact that I cna but it at any mall and not only at Saks or Sephora. I feel like it protected me as I was out in the sun the whole week end and I do have not tanned much at all.

Cons: This stayed on my face and my skin was oily. Inact one day I forgot to take my face powder with me and my skin was so oily that I had to stop in a store and just use any powder caz I looked awful. It was never absorbed in my skin. I have treid everything from waiting to put on my make up, applying less thinking that was the problem.......nope.

So my search for a good face sunscreen carries on..........

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2005 3:23:00 PM More reviews by blueaygi

GREAT PRODUCT! expensive for the amount you get, but a little really does go a long way. I've been using my sample for almost 3 weeks now and there's still a lot in the little tube. i used to use DDF sunscreen and NARS makeup primer before i put on my foundation but i now i just use this day screen! so if i compare the price of the day screen to the combined price of the two i used to use, the price isn't all that bad =O). it feels VERY light on your skin and but is pretty good on the moisturizing level. i think it even helped to calm down my skin from a bad reaction i had to one of the masks i used. it makes my makeup last all day =O) and it gives me the glowing look i love. I don't like matte make up, the matte look seems to emphasize the flatness of my face. I am PALE and i burn easily so i need all the sun protection i can get. My freckles also darken in the sun so i have to wear sunscreen even on hazy days. this lightweight sunscreen does a FANTASTIC job of protecting my skin, keeping my freckles light, and making my foundation last all day...what more could a girl ask for?? =O)
i also want to say thank you to all the people that reviewed this product, i would never have even thought to look at the clarins line if it wasn't for the great reviews!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2005 12:52:00 PM More reviews by LianneK

I have tried so many sunscreens in my search for the perfect one. I have acne-prone, oily skin (more combo in winter, very oily in summer). Most sunscreens just make my face even oilier, even the ones that aren't supposed to (every Neutrogena sunscreen has been a total waste for me). To compound the problem even more, I can't use avobenzone, as it irritates my skin. Years ago, I used Skinceuticals SPF 20 (the SPF 30 was no good for me), but I stopped when I wanted a higher SPF. Since then, I have been using Pola's 1/F Suncut Milk SPF 30 pretty much exclusively. The reason I keep looking though, is that while it dries fairly matte, it also accentuates flaky skin. So, after reading the reviews, I decided to try this sunscreen by Clarins.

The good: This has a very similar texture to the Pola, slippery and almost greasy at first, but dries matte. However, this seems even better than the Pola as it doesn't seem to accentuate flakes as much (although I've also started using Aveeno's Radiant Cleansing Pads - I use both the smooth and rough sides -so that may have something to do with it), and leaves a good base for makeup. I really do like it a lot.

The bad: It's tiny, only 1 ounce, and it's $40. That means I get half as much product as the Pola for twice the amount of money. I do like it better than the Pola, and the higher the SPF, the better, but I just don't know if I should repurchase or not. I took off 1 lippie for the price. If it were even $10 cheaper, I'm sure I'd buy it again. As it is, I'll have to think it over. If price is no object, then I wholeheartedly recommend this sunscreen. Edit: I'm still using this over a year later, and this is still the only sunscreen I use on my face. No breakouts, but by gum, will this accentuate any dry, flaky patches. Not perfect, but still the only one I trust my face with. Now if only the freakin' tiny bottles would stop disappearing so I wouldn't have to keep buying them so often!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2005 2:55:00 PM More reviews by Darkholmme

This is the first and only item that I've given 5 lippies to, but will never repurchase. The product itself is wonderful, especially for those with oily skin. It's 100% titanium dioxide, which is great for those of us who can't use chemical sunscreens. It mattifies, it keeps my skin soft, dries quickly, and goes well under makeup. However...

The price is appalling. Nearly $40 for one ounce by the time you add in taxes. The saleswoman told me that this will last for 6 months to a year. Hmm, maybe in Alaska...but not in California. I apply only once a day, and half the bottle was gone within 4 weeks. I simply can't afford to re-purchase a $40 sunscreen every 2 months. This is great, but unless they drop the price by $10 or so...I will be using shiseido's liquid foundation (which also has 100% titanium dioxide, spf 42). That's also pricy at $30, but it's nearly $10 less, AND it doubles as foundation and suncreen.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/10/2005 7:27:00 PM More reviews by trudnick

I liked the idea of a nice, light sunscreen, and it felt OK going on. However, I've used a good-sized sample of this for about a week, and I have an all-over breakout happening, little tiny bumps all over my face. This type of breakout is really rare for me, so I have to conclude that it is something in the sunscreen. Also, the price was pretty prohibitive for the amount of product you get. I can say that I did not get sunburned on my face when using this, so the sunscreen part definitely works.

Final thoughts? I would not purchase this if you are breakout-prone.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2005 3:48:00 PM More reviews by JadedPlastic

UV plus is the most amazing sunscreen I've ever worn. Leaves my skin matte but still silky smooth and soft, and there's no unpleasant odor (i hate the typical sunscren smell). But the price is ridiculous. I may buy it again, but I can't see myself routinely shelling out nearly $40 for 1 oz of sunscreen. Unless you're quite well-to-do, go with Neutrogena Dry-Touch instead. The quality is almost as good, but you'll get 3x the quantity for 1/4 the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2005 9:37:00 AM More reviews by BunniesKill

Someone else criticized this product for not including a moisturizer. That's the whole point: It's customizable coverage. Many women have very oily skin and break out from moisturizing sunscreens. With this product, you can adjust your coverage based on the season, condition of your skin, etc.

Anyway, I love the finish (also use Bare Escentuals on top), love the antioxidants, and love the SPF 40. My only concern is that the packaging isn't specific about how *much* you need on your face to get the full coverage. Yeah, the reps at the counter say only three drops, but what do they know? Until very recently, they were telling women that broad-spectrum sunscreen wasn't even a skincare necessity. They say what they're told to say; they're not scientists.

I'd love to see something published by Clarins or even an independent researcher like Paula Begoun. I'm always a little, maybe irrationally worried that this sunscreen isn't protecting me at all. :-/

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2005 7:29:00 PM More reviews by IlovePariswg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this product--the way it dries and it makes a wonderful make-up base with the UV 40 protection!!

Just wish there was a way to see how much is left?? Yes expensive but to have this much sun protection in a non-greasy product I feel it is worth it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2005 1:56:00 AM More reviews by Darkholmme

First note, to other reviews: is it really fair to mark down this product simply because you want people to use another one instead? If you want to give it a 1 or 2, please tell me why this is bad...not why something else is good. Rate roducts on their own merits!

That said, this is one of only TWO sunscreens that I can use on my face without causing either acne or sensitivity. (Unfortunately, both this, and the other--Shiseido's foundation w/ sunblock--are expensive!). I have extremely oily, extremely sensitive skin...and the combination makes skincare a hellish nightmare. This is whitish-colored (as with ALL titanium dioxide sunblocks, unless they are tinted), but it goes on clear. It dries very, very quickly--within a minute, my face is ready for foundation. In fact, it's so light and smooth that I sometimes get parnoid if I've put on enough.

I usually use this under a moisturizer (even in the hottest, most humid weather), since the "layer" underneath prevents me from having to use too much--at roughly $40 per one ounce bottle, this is pricy! I can't quite tell how much I've used, but it seems that the bottle will last about 3 months (using once a day, only on the face). The MA told me 6 months to a year...I really don't believe that. Still, 3 months is reasonable...and this has done an amazing job of keeping my skin clear and safe. I'm outside in the blazing Californian sun 12 hours a day,and despite regular spf 50 sunblock on my exposed arms and legs (NOT this product), I'm rather tanned. My face however, stays winter-pale thanks to Clarins UV plus protection. Not sure if that's a good thing, but it tells me that this works.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No