Clarins UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40 [DISCONTINUED]

Clarins UV PLUS Protective Day Screen SPF 40  [DISCONTINUED]

4.2

Active: Titanium Dioxide 8.1%; Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Corn Starch Modified, Alcohol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, PEG/PPG-20/15 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Maltodextrin Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Cucumis Melo (Melon) Fruit Extract, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Lapsana Communis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Butyl Phenyl Methylpropional, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool

on 8/30/2005 8:39:00 PM

After much sunscreen drama, the buck stops here. My skin had battled enough, as did my pocketbook, and I'm glad for the journey but even happier with the outcome. My main goal was to find a decent s/s that looked good on its own as well as under makeup, that wouldn't irritate me or break me out. But on top of all of these demands, I also didn't want to feel it on! Clarins UV Plus Protective Day Screen fits the bill. With a PPD of 8ish, it's close enough to the recommended PPD of 10 for my comfort level, and the all-titanium dioxide SPF 40 works for my RAM/Finacea treated skin that hates most chemical sunscreens. No clogged pores or breakouts, my skin looks and feels (heck, it just plain is) healthy while using this s/s! My skin gets very oily, and this doesn't hold back the oil (not that it is supposed to, LOL), but it does remain on the skin through blotting and it looks incredible on its own (gives a nice natural glow as it dries to a matte finish) and makes a perfect primer for flawless foundation application. I love the light texture, I'm a fan of "watery" sunscreens because they tend to feel lighter on the skin and are easy to apply. So what don't I like about it? The price. $36.50 for 1.6 oz is outrageous! But I can justify it in that the rest of my skincare routine is all prescription or drugstore. The best part of all is that I am done looking, and I have no regrets for trying all of the s/s that I have tried. :-) UPDATE:After wearing this for a few weeks, my skin became noticably more irritated (probably from the alcohol in it) and I noticed an increase in shine as well. Yet another sunscreen disappointment. This one is definitely going back, for that price! *pouts*Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide. Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclomethicone, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Alcohol Denat., Aluminum Hydraoxide, Stearic Acid, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylene Glycol, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben.
continued >>

on 8/29/2005 12:31:00 PM

Excellent sunscreen. Completely invisible and weightless. A small amount goes a long way. I love how thin the texture is, as I apply it over moisturizer, I feel that it doesn't conflict with it. On extra humid days, I wear it alone without moisturizer and it does great. I'm definitley buying this again. It might seem expensive for the small amount, but it lasts forever.

on 7/27/2005 1:07:00 PM

I wanted to like this product so much, but I hate it. It's watery, so it makes it very messy to apply, because it runs all over your fingers as you're trying to get it on your face. It also doesn't last - I had to reapply sunscreen in the middle of the day, and the alcohol in the product stings my eyes. Further, the sunscreen left a whitish cast to my skin, like the zinc-oxide based sunscreens, making it really hard for me to apply makeup. Am going back to Neutrogena spf 45 sunblock. UPDATE: I upgraded the product to 5, after learning Neutrogena (and many other sunscreens) contain an oxidizing ingredient (oxybenzone and other similar chemicals) that actually make your skin WORSE. After scrutinizing the ingredient list of the existing sunscreens on the market, I think this is the safest (for a cheaper alternative, Neutrogena Baby and Bert's Bees have a similar formula), as its active ingredient is titanium dioxide which physically blocks the UV rays and should not oxidize.

on 7/21/2005 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This clogged my pores and also showed up as tiny white flakes on me even when I was adequately moisturized. Super expensive; bad results.

on 7/20/2005 9:09:00 PM

Finally founf my HG sunscreen. For the past 2 years, have been trying so many brands and they are all greasy, sticky or change my foundation colors and worse one will cause me breakouts. Fancl sunscreen leave white cast on my face, Guerlain is fine but after 3 hours my face turn oily, Laneige is sticky and uneven for makeup, Shiseido also make my face looks ghostly, Kose OK but face color tends to change a bit (oxidize)? Biotherm is the worse, oily and cause breakouts. I have no luck in Biotherm products, from skincare to makeup items, all not suitable for me but my friends suit them really well. Just my luck. This Clarins UV Plus sunscreen is the BEST BEST, not greasy nor leave face with white cast, its Matte and can apply makeup immediately without waiting. The Clarins Bright Plus Hydrating Brightening Lotion SPF20 is definitely a NO NO. Its feels super oily on me and I can feel my pores are opening up. Now I use it on my hands and legs.

on 7/19/2005 2:13:00 AM

Its the BEST sunscreen i've tried! I have slightly dry skin n was using clinique city block before but it even dry my skin more. CLARINS is great coz it protect my face well n i dont feel oily at all. Its so light and a litte is enough for the entire face. My skin look fresh all day and it doesnt look dull at the end of the day like some sunscreen do. The only CONs - the price$$ :)

on 7/17/2005 7:18:00 PM

:( I really wanted to like this product. But unfortunatly I think this one is not for me.
The pros: I like that the bottle and also the fact that I cna but it at any mall and not only at Saks or Sephora. I feel like it protected me as I was out in the sun the whole week end and I do have not tanned much at all.

Cons: This stayed on my face and my skin was oily. Inact one day I forgot to take my face powder with me and my skin was so oily that I had to stop in a store and just use any powder caz I looked awful. It was never absorbed in my skin. I have treid everything from waiting to put on my make up, applying less thinking that was the problem.......nope.

So my search for a good face sunscreen carries on..........

on 7/14/2005 3:23:00 PM

GREAT PRODUCT! expensive for the amount you get, but a little really does go a long way. I've been using my sample for almost 3 weeks now and there's still a lot in the little tube. i used to use DDF sunscreen and NARS makeup primer before i put on my foundation but i now i just use this day screen! so if i compare the price of the day screen to the combined price of the two i used to use, the price isn't all that bad =O). it feels VERY light on your skin and but is pretty good on the moisturizing level. i think it even helped to calm down my skin from a bad reaction i had to one of the masks i used. it makes my makeup last all day =O) and it gives me the glowing look i love. I don't like matte make up, the matte look seems to emphasize the flatness of my face. I am PALE and i burn easily so i need all the sun protection i can get. My freckles also darken in the sun so i have to wear sunscreen even on hazy days. this lightweight sunscreen does a FANTASTIC job of protecting my skin, keeping my freckles light, and making my foundation last all day...what more could a girl ask for?? =O)
i also want to say thank you to all the people that reviewed this product, i would never have even thought to look at the clarins line if it wasn't for the great reviews!

on 7/12/2005 12:52:00 PM

I have tried so many sunscreens in my search for the perfect one. I have acne-prone, oily skin (more combo in winter, very oily in summer). Most sunscreens just make my face even oilier, even the ones that aren't supposed to (every Neutrogena sunscreen has been a total waste for me). To compound the problem even more, I can't use avobenzone, as it irritates my skin. Years ago, I used Skinceuticals SPF 20 (the SPF 30 was no good for me), but I stopped when I wanted a higher SPF. Since then, I have been using Pola's 1/F Suncut Milk SPF 30 pretty much exclusively. The reason I keep looking though, is that while it dries fairly matte, it also accentuates flaky skin. So, after reading the reviews, I decided to try this sunscreen by Clarins.

The good: This has a very similar texture to the Pola, slippery and almost greasy at first, but dries matte. However, this seems even better than the Pola as it doesn't seem to accentuate flakes as much (although I've also started using Aveeno's Radiant Cleansing Pads - I use both the smooth and rough sides -so that may have something to do with it), and leaves a good base for makeup. I really do like it a lot.

The bad: It's tiny, only 1 ounce, and it's $40. That means I get half as much product as the Pola for twice the amount of money. I do like it better than the Pola, and the higher the SPF, the better, but I just don't know if I should repurchase or not. I took off 1 lippie for the price. If it were even $10 cheaper, I'm sure I'd buy it again. As it is, I'll have to think it over. If price is no object, then I wholeheartedly recommend this sunscreen. Edit: I'm still using this over a year later, and this is still the only sunscreen I use on my face. No breakouts, but by gum, will this accentuate any dry, flaky patches. Not perfect, but still the only one I trust my face with. Now if only the freakin' tiny bottles would stop disappearing so I wouldn't have to keep buying them so often!

on 7/11/2005 2:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is the first and only item that I've given 5 lippies to, but will never repurchase. The product itself is wonderful, especially for those with oily skin. It's 100% titanium dioxide, which is great for those of us who can't use chemical sunscreens. It mattifies, it keeps my skin soft, dries quickly, and goes well under makeup. However...

The price is appalling. Nearly $40 for one ounce by the time you add in taxes. The saleswoman told me that this will last for 6 months to a year. Hmm, maybe in Alaska...but not in California. I apply only once a day, and half the bottle was gone within 4 weeks. I simply can't afford to re-purchase a $40 sunscreen every 2 months. This is great, but unless they drop the price by $10 or so...I will be using shiseido's liquid foundation (which also has 100% titanium dioxide, spf 42). That's also pricy at $30, but it's nearly $10 less, AND it doubles as foundation and suncreen.

Top Rated Clarins Products