November 21, 2014 | 1951 users online

Eye Makeup Remover - The Body Shop - Chamomile Eye Makeup Remover

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2006 4:24:00 PM More reviews by bluejoansie

Ive spent the last six months, and probably $75 trying to find an alternative to this eye makeup remover. I've used it for about 10 years; it's the only remover that doesn't leave an oily residue. There are two reasons why I wanted another product: 1) I was afraid it contained alcohol and was drying out delicate eye area, 2) It is a bit pricey.

What I discovered is that though I have found other good removers, and some bad, this one is the best for me, and I haven't found any information yet to confirm my suspitions. Below are the makeup removers I tried in descending order from best to worst:

BODY SHOP CHAMOMILE: non-greasy remover that is especially great in the morning used after face washing to remove all traces of eye makeup. Leaves a clean, non oily surface for morning makeup application. Also great to cleanup mistakes and smudges. Does not irritate my sensitive eyes, or contacts.

NIVEA EYE MAKEUP REMOVER: this is my second favorite. I used this at night, because it has a creamy texture which melts makeup but is not oily. It does not sting my eyes, but does leave a slight moisturizing film, which actually feels quite soothing. I don't use this in the morning, or usually not to fix mistakes because the film would interfere with makeup.

DIOR GEL DE LAIT MAGIQUE DEMAQUILLANT: This was a splurge. I am 46, and concerned about dryness, but also want to do better at taking my makeup off every night (still have the occasional slip-up). This creamy gel is for face and eyes, and has a lovely scent, and is easy to wipe off with a face clothe. It makes me feel a little like a spoiled parisian woman. I probably won't buy again because of the price, and it does not get all stubborn eye makeup off, but I really enjoy using it!

PONDS BARE AND REPAIR: I bought this remover after reading raves about it here. It's good for the price -- better than LANCOME BI-FACIAL, and 1/3 the price. But it is a little oily. I wouldn't use it in the morning, or for mistakes. I've used it at night, but it does leave an oily residue.

LANCOME BI-FACIAL: Speaking of oily residue, this stuff leaves my eyes swimming in it. It is very good at melting away the eye makeup fast, but my eyes become irritated from the film left behind. This came in a Lancome gift pack; I would never buy it.

ALBOLENE CLEANSER: This has been around for a while. It's the industrial strength remover of makeup. It's very cheap, and comes in a large jar. I don't use it because it is too heavy for me, and it leaves lots of oil behind, but my daughter, who wears tons of eyeliner and mascara, uses this alot. She also, however, uses the BODY SHOP CHAMOMILE, to fix mistakes.

ALMAY MAKEUP REMOVER PADS: Unless you want oil applied directly to your lids designed to get trapped in your lashes, and end up in your tear ducts, don't buy this.

Well, I hope my makeup remover mistakes help someone else. I am happily back to the CHAMOMILE REMOVER. I can see clearly now (sorry for the bad pun).

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/7/2006 1:55:00 AM More reviews by jc118

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It was gentle but a bit too gentle. It didn't take off my mascara at all. Won't be buying it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/26/2005 10:53:00 PM More reviews by zsasuy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i would love to like this product but it didnt remove that easily on my FASIO waterproof mascara. even when fixing little smudges it didnt. it requires a lot of rubbing before the whole mascara comes off. kinda pricey. i guess baby oil works better than this one when it comes to getting rid of waterproof mascara. i wont buy this again

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2005 10:12:00 AM More reviews by Mel_C

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is an HG eye make-up remover for me. Its very gentle, doesn't burn the eyes, yet still removes all the eye make-up just fine. It is a tad pricey though. There are some other cheaper options, but when I can, I stick to this one.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/17/2005 4:54:00 PM More reviews by bluediva

I really wanted to like this b/c I like TBS, and it seemed to work great when I tried it during a make-over in the store. I wear dark e/s most days, so I need a good remover. Plus I have sensitive skin. This stuff did sting a bit, and it required more rubbing than I'd like, but it rinsed away easily. I also appreciate that it wasn't oily. I wanted to try something other than my usual L'Oreal eye makeup remover, but this was nothing thrilling. To be fair, it did a good job removing very metallic cream shadow, and I like the flip-top cap on the bottle. It works well with a q-tip to fix little mascara and liner smudges without wrecking the rest of my eye makeup. So I will use this product as an "eraser" and keep looking for my HG eye makeup remover.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2005 11:48:00 AM More reviews by GimpyPoop

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I havenít tried MACís yet but these are pretty darn good. Whenever Iím feeling extremely lazy and I donít want to bother with face cleanser, eye make-up remover, a dry towel and the sink Ė I opt for this. Itís very successful at removing face make-up, but I find I have to rub a little more vigorously at my eyes to remove every last bit of mascara and gel eyeliner. Sometimes I will have to run over my eye area with a bit of make up remover to get every last bit. My only gripe is that although this wipe is supposed to be moisturizing, it kind of leaves my skin feeling slightly sticky. So eventually I do have to manually wash my face with water, cleanser and the whole shebang. Nonetheless, great for those lazy days after work. And the baby wipes dispensing packaging is super for keeping the wipes moist. I may re-buy if I cannot discover better

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2005 1:58:00 PM More reviews by emcs

Love this stuff. Gets rid of all my eye make up like no other remover does. Doesn't sting at all, feels so gentle on eyes. I also use this all over my face, gets rid of all traces of make up. I use this on a little cotton pad to get rid of make up and fold it over my lashes to get rid of mascara, then use a cotton bud dipped in this stuff to get rid of eyeliner, works a treat and lasts ages so is worth what it costs. I think i'l repurchase for a good while, if not forever!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/11/2005 1:46:00 PM More reviews by skeezicks_7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

HG. Removes well, rinses clean, isn't drying. Might cause stinging if eye makeup dissolves in the liquid and runs into eyes. Using a small amount on a cotton ball to remove the heaviest eye makeup first before removing the rest mostly prevents this problem. Will repurchase. UPDATE: This product seems to have been reformulated since the early 2000's when I first started using it, and I don't like the product I purchased in 2013 quite as much. I changed my rating accordingly.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/21/2005 6:45:00 AM More reviews by sushi82

Gentle? My eye (no pun intended)! It removes the makeup, but it's the equivalent of getting nail polish (or sulphuric acid?) in your eye. Yeoww!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2005 3:29:00 PM More reviews by bigemom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this product during TBS lunch lounge special one day. It comes in a plastic bottle that has a flip top lid. The product is watery so I use it with a cotton pad. It removes most eyeshadows and concealers with ease. The problems that I have run into is that it does sting my eyes. I have sensitive eyes and this does bother them and causes eye pain sometimes. The other problem is that it does not always remove all of my eye makeup. If I am wearing MAC fluidliners and certain mascaras, it does not do a good job of removing them. I have bought an oilier remover for those products. It does remove almost all of my lipsticks without much effort. This product is below average and I will not purchase again, on to something new.