Vaseline Vaseline

Price: $

White Petrolatum

on 3/25/2007 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this stuff. This is not a moisturizer, rather it's a barrier that locks moisture in.

About 5 years ago I was breaking out horribly and tried a plethora of skin care regimes, oral medication, topical medicated ointments/lotions, etc. While waiting for my dermatologist appointment (had a 3 month wait time) I simplified my routine to cetaphil soap, saline solution as a toner, ombrelle lotion (sunscreen) for daytime w/ makeup on top, and vaseline at night. By the time I got to the dermatologist my skin had cleared by about 75%. I was prescibed accutane to clear up the horrible brown scarring from the acne, I continued the above routine as sunscreen is required while on accutane, and the vaseline prevented any flakiness from the accutane treatment.

I finished my one round of accutane, and have continued using vaseline off and on (d/t my obscene need to expirement with everything). I still find this is one of the best products I have in my arsenal.

Note to those who are worried about contaminating the huge tubs of vaseline. I just purchase the tubes of vaseline that are available in the baby section. I just squeeze out the amount needed & don't have to worry about grubby fingers contaminating the product! love this stuff!

Edit to add: in the hosp we use miniscule tubes of pure vaseline to help patients who have extremely dry eyes for overnight, the only ingredient is "petroleum jelly." It does make vision blurry at first as it creates a film over the eye, but that's why we put it in for the patients once they're in bed for the night. This is not used for eye infections (that would have antibiotics) we use polysporin eye ointment for those patients & the base ingredient for their overnight treatments is still petroleum jelly.

Vaseline is great on lips. It really moisturizes them well. This is the only thing that actually works for my lips. I also use it on my hands, elbows and on the heels of my feet. I do not use it anywhere near my eyes though or anywhere else on my face because its very greasy and thick which can clog pores. This is an excellent moisturizer if you use it in the correct places!

on 12/10/2006 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Vaseline is a great eyelash conditioner! I use it at night, melting a bit between my fingers before stroking it on like it was mascara. Really keeps lashes flexible and not brittle. The next morning, my mascara goes on great and my lashes look full and long. Give it a try ladies!

on 10/10/2006 4:21:00 AM

Love this stuff. I'm allergic to all other lip balms I've tried (and I've tried many), this is the only one that doesn't make my lips swell and go all red. I've recently learned to use it my cuticles, and it seems to work well. And I also put it on my lashes before I go to sleep, and they look much healthier, and slightly longer too.

To those people who are concerned about the fact it's a petroleum-extracted product, a lot of the cosmetic products on the market right now have petroleum-extracted ingridents in them. Such as mosituriers (face and body), shampoos, conditioner etc. (I learned that in high school science class) Since people perceive these products to be safe, then what's the problem with Vaseline?

on 2/3/2006 6:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Amazing!!! I, too, am in love with Vaseline. It has so many uses! My favorite uses are lips (every night and I never ever have dry lips), dry skin (ESPECIALLY for those who have those scaley, red bumps on the upper arms. This makes it so much smoother.), to remove eye make-up, to reduce acne scars on my face, you can even use it to moisturize your face if you're careful. Apply it at night and you'll wake up with amazingly soft, smooth skin. I also use this to apply loose glitter around my eyes, so that the glitter sticks. You can't go wrong with a classic.

on 1/12/2006 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

i use this around my nose and the edges of my mouth where the skin is cracked raw from retin-a... by morning, it's nice and soft again. wonderful stuff.

on 11/22/2005 6:00:00 PM

A staple with me from the time I was a baby. I use it to remove eye makeup, moisturize dry spots anywhere (yes, that includes the face without any breakouts!) This is a universally useful product that costs practically nada!

on 10/13/2005 7:32:00 PM

Vaseline is a wonderful moisturizer, but I wouldn't dare use it on my face (other than lips)! I use it on my heels, put socks on, and in the morning, my feet are silky, soft, with no dryness at all. In the summer, I wear heeled sandals to work, and they have an open back. My heels can get super dry if I don't moisturize, and vaseline really prevents super dry feet. If my lips are chapped, I put some on during the night, and after 2-3 days, I have gorgeous, soft, smooth lips. Vaseline is a great product, and has a lot of uses, but I would limit some of those uses when it comes to the face.

on 10/13/2005 7:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This great for so many things. It prevents nosebleeds in winter for my kids. Feet blisters soften from a night vaseline and cotton socks. Hands look great after the same treatment. I have thick, frizzy, wavy hair. I dab vaseline very, very lightly on my ends before my last run with the ionic blowdryer (on hot) and brush. No frizz and fly aways. Surprised?! I read this trick in some article and it really works. I don't put it on my face as a moisturizer.

on 8/17/2005 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love this stuff for dry lips!! I use it after I exfoliate my lips to keep them smooth and soft =) I've tried it as an eye makeup remover but it didn't work too well -- it was too greasy and left a film on my lids that had to be washed away with cleanser.

Popular Treatments (Face)